AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2008-02-15, 18:26   Link #81
Gemstar
Banned

Those guys don't look like what they can do and that's scary. I've been thinking currently how the UFC is now, how would Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan, or Jet Li go up against them
Gemstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-15, 20:13   Link #82
Papaya
Sup

Send a message via AIM to Papaya Send a message via MSN to Papaya
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToxicNarcotic View Post
Yeah GSP's head definately wasn't in it. Honestly I can't wait for GSP to dominate Serra. Honestly I don't think Serra is that good a fighter.

I wanted Lidell to win so bad when Jackson fought him. Jackson's a good fighter but I just can't stand that arrogance. God I can't wait till someone knocks him off his damn high horse.

Yeah, I think it's been about 2 years since Fedor fought anyone worthwhile. I think I heard Randy was talking about fighting Fedor in October once his contract is up. Hopefully though, the UFC will stop being such jerks about the contract.

Yeah, that definately wasn't Silva's best showing. He threw like what, 2 kicks the entire friggin' thing? Lack of clinching, no knees. It was more like a boxing match than anything else.
Well, you know what they say about Liddell. Everyone who fights against him tends to abandon their battle plan and go for a punchout. I think Renato Sobral is the best example of that =P Pro grappler goes and tries to stand up with Liddell... it's just stupid..

Jackson is indeed annoying. He was a novelty fighter in PRIDE, and now he's a superstar in UFC. I can't believe he beat Hendo either.

The upcoming Hendo vs Silva (Anderson) fight should be nice. Light Heavyweight is getting overfilled with talent. Silva exposed the Middleweight class for its weaknesses, and as much as I love him, and as cool of a guy he is, and as funny as his voice is ( =P ), dominance is never that fun. I hope Hendo beats him. That'll make the middleweight class a lot more fun, now that Rich Franklin has basically proved himself unworthy of the belt after getting his nose broken TWICE by Silva.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemstar View Post
Those guys don't look like what they can do and that's scary. I've been thinking currently how the UFC is now, how would Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan, or Jet Li go up against them
Jackie Chan is a big no-no. Jet Li is probably more of a performer than a fighter. Bruce Lee we may never know, but weight class matters a LOT in MMA. That's why when you see the weigh-ins, they always are at the highest weight allowed. Even a one or two pound advantage can be killer, since half the fight you'll either be on top or under the other guy.

There are a lot of instances of lower-weight fighters taking on higher weight classes and winning (go Youtube Royce Gracie's earlier fights, before BJJ became standard, and definitely watch Kazushi Sakuraba's fights against just about everyone, including his one hour match against Royce), but that era is pretty much gone now that grappling is more or less fully integrated into every fighter's repetoire.

You really should see some of the first UFC fights though. Some of those weren't even MMA--they were just one style vs. another, sans weight class, and the consistent winners would always be the guys who basically had the grappling technique. It's pretty hard to knock someone out, but before strikers had any grappling training, it was hella easy just to grab onto their waist and take them down, then work on them on the ground.
Papaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-16, 00:34   Link #83
Gemstar
Banned

I used to practice Boxing and personally I don't think there is one ultimate fighting style
Old 2008-02-16, 08:18   Link #84
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papaya View Post
Jackie Chan is a big no-no. Jet Li is probably more of a performer than a fighter.
Actually Jet Li is as much a fighter as Jackie Chan is an actor.

Jackie Chan came from the Beijing School of Opera, the famous school that teaches performance arts for Chinese Opera. Due to its highly martial artistic and acrobatic performing methods, graduates are always selected to be stunt actors and fighting show actors.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackie_chan

While Jet Li is a real martial arts champion that has won many wushu championships in China.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiki
Li was born Li Lianjie in Beijing, China. His father died when he was two. His mother took him to the Beijing Amateur Sports School at the age of eight.[1] Li participated in the sport of wushu in the non-sparring event. He began his wushu on the Beijing Wushu team, an athletic group organized to perform martial arts forms during the All China Games. As a member of the team, he received wushu training and went on to win fifteen gold medals and one silver medal in Chinese wushu championships:

1974 — Youth National Athletic Hi Competition: broadsword form gold medal, optional empty-hand form gold medal, all-round gold medal;
1975 — Third Chinese Wushu Championships: long fist form gold medal, spear form silver medal
1977 — National Wushu Competition: long-fist form gold medal, broadsword form gold medal
1978 — National Wushu Competition: long-fist form gold medal, optional empty-hand form gold medal, broadsword form gold medal, all-round gold medal;
1979 — Fourth Chinese Wushu Championships: long-fist form gold medal, optional empty-hand form gold medal, broadsword form gold medal, sparring form gold medal, all-round gold medal.
All his optional empty-hand form medals were won with a form called fanzi yingzhaoquan (翻子鷹爪拳, Fanzi eagle claw). His success led to the PRC declaring Jet Li to be a "National Treasure".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jet_li

And for Bruce Lee, he stays undefeated forever.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-16, 10:22   Link #85
Archontic
Power of the Damager

Send a message via AIM to Archontic Send a message via MSN to Archontic
I stopped going shortly after getting my black belt in Songahm Taekwondo (ATA) about two years ago to dedicate myself fully to music. Typically, I had weapons training in.. fuck, I can't spell them for the life of me, but phonetically.. single and dual sonjabong (essentially nunchaku), single and dual bamongi (a single short-stick type weapon used like a flat sword), and a bo staff, obviously single.

My father had extensive experience in illegal streetfighting, Aikido, and something else that can't remember off the top of my head, so he was always fucking with me to get my reflexes up. Thus, I have really good reflexes. See Ichigo's dad on Bleach? That was my father before he got sick. He got me when I least fucking expected it. XD Sometimes I fucking miss him.

I meditate a lot to try to keep my mind as clear as possible, which is obviously important.

I've incorporated my extensive (and increasing) anatomical knowledge, my raw endurance, my height and immense brute strength, natural flexibility, and streetfighting knowledge from having to stand up back in High School (lots of gang and territory shit here in Savannah. Fucking ninnies) into my fighting style, so I basically end up looking like someone spilled a glass of water on steroids. That doesn't say much for me as far as people watching goes. XD

That's about all of my fighting experience.
Archontic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-16, 11:01   Link #86
Papaya
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
Actually Jet Li is as much a fighter as Jackie Chan is an actor.

Jackie Chan came from the Beijing School of Opera, the famous school that teaches performance arts for Chinese Opera. Due to its highly martial artistic and acrobatic performing methods, graduates are always selected to be stunt actors and fighting show actors.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackie_chan

While Jet Li is a real martial arts champion that has won many wushu championships in China.

Martial arts fights in China are only valid if they only have Chinese. Contests involving foreign fighters are always rigged. That's why you can't say Jet Li would be a good fighter.

You will NEVER see a foreign fighter win a decision in China.
Old 2008-02-16, 22:34   Link #87
raikage
日本語を食べません!

Quote:

All those championships are forms.

Forms don't count for much when it comes to actual fighting. Body memory, perhaps, but it teaches you nothing about actually hitting or (more importantly) getting hit.

Bruce Lee is way overhyped.
raikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-17, 07:54   Link #88
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by raikage View Post
All those championships are forms.

Forms don't count for much when it comes to actual fighting. Body memory, perhaps, but it teaches you nothing about actually hitting or (more importantly) getting hit.

Bruce Lee is way overhyped.
Its weird, when I'm only pointing out the differences between Jackie Chan and Jet Li in martial arts, then people start to compare them to westerners and whether they can win in real fights or such. My post is just there to point that Jet Li is a martial artist and Jackie Chan is a stunt actor, not the other way round or the same.

And Bruce Lee created that hype himself and he always lived up to that hype. He was an outright bragger, he talks big, he starts fights. He never lost any and never failed to impress, thats Bruce Lee. All captured on camera, recorded down by jounalists, remembered by people who lost to him or humiliated by him. He struted what he had and never held back.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-17, 13:11   Link #89
Papaya
Sup

Well, fighters actually fight. Performers perform. Both are performers, not fighters.

In other news, Kimbo Slice TKO via strikes on Tank Abbott, as expected.
Old 2008-02-20, 12:38   Link #90
raikage
日本語を食べません!

Quote:
Its weird, when I'm only pointing out the differences between Jackie Chan and Jet Li in martial arts, then people start to compare them to westerners and whether they can win in real fights or such. My post is just there to point that Jet Li is a martial artist and Jackie Chan is a stunt actor, not the other way round or the same.

And Bruce Lee created that hype himself and he always lived up to that hype. He was an outright bragger, he talks big, he starts fights. He never lost any and never failed to impress, thats Bruce Lee. All captured on camera, recorded down by jounalists, remembered by people who lost to him or humiliated by him. He struted what he had and never held back.
Pressure testing is a valid way to compare martial artists.

I'm not advocating a return to the dojo-busters where people fight with their school at stake... but if all you do is forms, then it's basically Tae-Bo.

<--- *just does forms*

Who did Bruce Lee beat? Joe the stunt guy?
raikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-09, 21:58   Link #91
Samari
World's Greatest

I was thinking about trying to get back into Tae Kwon Do. Maybe a year or two down the road. I used to take it when I was little, but I didn't follow very seriously, and it subsequently faded away from me.

This time, I plan to focus a lot more. In all honesty, I really want to learn how to defend myself in a decent and convincing manner.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Samari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-10, 06:13   Link #92
black monster
i don't work for points

i used to take lessons in karate but i stopped three years ago becuse of college.

my mother told me to return and learn karate but i told her that i won't. becuse i have a friend he is a teacher in my college he was an american ex-soldier but he retired three years ago and became a teacher. so i thought of going to him and ask him to teach me CQC ( close quarter combat ).
black monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-10, 10:39   Link #93
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Quote:
Originally Posted by raikage View Post
Who did Bruce Lee beat? Joe the stunt guy?
Well, when all the stunts are performed by skilled martial artists who avoid death at work by being skilled at their trade, beating up Ho the stunt guy behind the scenes when he challenged you isn't anything to sniff at.

I await patiently
the gift promised to me.
Kyuusai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-10, 20:54   Link #94
GummyBearOfDoom
Gummy

Send a message via AIM to GummyBearOfDoom
I've been taking Brazilian Jiu Jitsu at Royce Gracie Jiu Jitsu in New Haven CT for over a year now
GummyBearOfDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-09, 02:42   Link #95
Papaya
Sup

OK, so, GSP rapes Matt Serra, who was the only TUF fighter to get a belt, until a few days ago when Forrest Griffin beat Rampage Jackson.

Will we see a Griffin vs Liddell match soon? There was talk about Liddell getting a third shot at Rampage if Rampage won, but now it's not so certain. The LHW division is really getting weird in the UFC.
Old 2008-07-10, 11:26   Link #96
GummyBearOfDoom
Gummy

I wouldn't count Matt Serra as a TUF fighter since he had already fought in the UFC a lot before that, especially since he fought some quality opponents.
I think he did it more to get his name out there again which was smart.

I think Lyoto Machida should get the title fight before Liddell, or maybe have Liddell and Lyoto fight and then the winner fights Forrest. I also do not think Liddell has much of a chance to beat Rampage since Rampage has destroyed him twice and is a much cleaner striker.
Also Anderson Silva is moving up to LHW although he recently stated that it is only because the UFC asked him to fight at 205 to throw together a card against Affliction on July 19th and that he doesn't want to fight for the belt at that division.
Old 2008-07-11, 15:51   Link #97
Gemstar
Banned

If Bruce Lee, Jet Li or Jackie Chan was in the UFC : Lidell, Silva, Quinton ALL OF THEM would get their butt KICKED ! I don't see many of the UFC fighters using real combat techniques other than what you see regular people on a street fight.
Old 2008-07-13, 01:35   Link #98
GummyBearOfDoom
Gummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemstar View Post
If Bruce Lee, Jet Li or Jackie Chan was in the UFC : Lidell, Silva, Quinton ALL OF THEM would get their butt KICKED ! I don't see many of the UFC fighters using real combat techniques other than what you see regular people on a street fight.
You realize that all the people in UFC train Martial arts...
MMA= Mixed Martial Arts

Like 90% of the people in UFC have black belts in various martial arts. Jackie Chan would get torn apart, Jet Li would get murdered and Bruce Lee would probably be a contender because of his philosophy and willingness to accept new techniques and not be stuck in one way, pretty much the foundation of MMA.
Old 2008-07-13, 01:49   Link #99
Papaya
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by GummyBearOfDoom View Post
I wouldn't count Matt Serra as a TUF fighter since he had already fought in the UFC a lot before that, especially since he fought some quality opponents.
I think he did it more to get his name out there again which was smart.

I think Lyoto Machida should get the title fight before Liddell, or maybe have Liddell and Lyoto fight and then the winner fights Forrest. I also do not think Liddell has much of a chance to beat Rampage since Rampage has destroyed him twice and is a much cleaner striker.
Also Anderson Silva is moving up to LHW although he recently stated that it is only because the UFC asked him to fight at 205 to throw together a card against Affliction on July 19th and that he doesn't want to fight for the belt at that division.
Mmm, Serra should stick too wrestling. Too bad we'll never see Serra vs Hughes now though = /

I think the problem with Lyoto is that he's boring as hell compared to a lot of the other LHW fighters. Most of the viewers just don't really understand what he's doing.

And oh, I was not aware Silva was moving up to LHW. MW is kind of in a void, then, as far as superstar-quality talent goes.
Old 2008-07-13, 12:38   Link #100
GummyBearOfDoom
Gummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papaya View Post
Mmm, Serra should stick too wrestling. Too bad we'll never see Serra vs Hughes now though = /

I think the problem with Lyoto is that he's boring as hell compared to a lot of the other LHW fighters. Most of the viewers just don't really understand what he's doing.

And oh, I was not aware Silva was moving up to LHW. MW is kind of in a void, then, as far as superstar-quality talent goes.
Silva isn't moving up to LHW on his own accord, UFC asked him to do it to battle the Affliction: Banned card on July 19th. He stated he does not wish to fight for the LHW belt. Also what is this about Serra not fighting Hughes? I heard that fight was more then likely going to take place. Also Serra is known for his Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, he's a black belt and an awesome BJJ competition winner.
Lyoto is a very technical fighter and he is amazing at keeping fighters away from him, unfortunately while it is a winning style it isn't the most fun to watch.
As for the middleweight division Anderson Silva is also scheduled to fight Yushin Okami who was KO'ed by Silva from an illegal head kick from guard a while back in a Rumble on the Rock event.