AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hanasaku Iroha

Notices

View Poll Results: Hanasaku Iroha - Episode 8 Rating
Perfect 10 11 16.92%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 25 38.46%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 16 24.62%
7 out of 10 : Good 7 10.77%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 6.15%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.54%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 1.54%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-05-23, 08:41   Link #81
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

In fact! I'm going to play this military analogy to it's fullest extent.

The Kissuisō is not an inn. It's a mighty fortress. The employees are actually platoons of soldiers tasked with defending it. The Grandmother is the general, but hse has been knocked out of commission. The customers are not customers at all, but a Panzergrenadier division equipped with tanks and self propelled guns! In order to prevent these mechanized barbarians from ravaging and annihilating the mighty Kissuiso fortress, the defenders must sally forth to battle to hold them off.

But the Kissuiso fortress defenders are undermanned. And their heavy weapons platoon armed with Bazooka's and Machine guns (Ren) is currently combat ineffective. Without heavy weapons, Mighty fortress Kissuiso will be overun, burned to the ground, and all it's defenders bayoneted and machine gunned to death. Nazis know no concept of mercy.

The only way to prevent disaster (or at least leaving the Fortress wrecked), is for them to link up with Tohru's unit, their second heavy weapons platoon. But they can't make radio comms with this unit, nor do they know exactly where it is. The only way to get it to reinforce the fortress, is to send a platoon out on recon to find them and get them to come back.

Ohana is actually a platoon of light infantry. Dedicated, but Lacking in heavy weapons. They're certainly useful point defense and stop gap for the defenders, but they as useful as the heavier armed platoons in this stand up war of attrition. Sending the Ohana platoon to link up with the Tohru platoon isn't necessarily a bad idea. Since they're dedicated enough that you could reasonably expect them to find the lost heavy weapons platoon, and bring them back to defend the Fort. The Ohana platoon might be less combat effective when it gets back, and the fort will be more undermanned while they're gone. But they'll be in a better position if the recon platoon can bring back reinforcements.

There are other platoons you could afford to send, but they're not as good options. Jiromaru platoon is certainly just a bunch of worthless barely armed conscripts. But it's questionable if they'd be able to retrieve the Tohru platoon (or even convince them that they should abandon their current mission to come back and defend the fort). The Takako platoon suffer a similar problem, in that they're an overpaid PMC platoon, and it's unlikely that Tohru platoon would abandon their current mission based on their word.

Now you COULD send the Minchi platoon. They're arguably only somewhat helpful to the currently incapacitated Ren heavy weapons platoon and the Ohana platoon could conceivably help them out (they lack heavy weapons, but they do have some training on them). But then there's the question if a meek, passive aggressive platoon like the Minchi platoon really has what it takes to go on force recon and retrieve the Tohru platoon.
Old 2011-05-23, 08:47   Link #82
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by acejem View Post
Still very surprised at the episode rating disparity, particularly at how episode 7 is rated on average higher than this one. And there's people complaining about the lack of reasonable belief of this episode when the previous one had LARPERS where their goal was to peep/stalk on the female staff and Tomoe ejected them out with a superpowered hose.

So over-exaggerated "anime-comedy" is ok but a somewhat "cliche dramatic plot" that does have some questionable actions is not?
Well, if it makes you feel any better I didn't especially like either one... But when 7 was pretty much a total write-off for me because it was a discordant mess that contributed nothing to the overall development of the story, at least 8 made the attempt to bring things back into focus. It just did a mostly poor job of it. 7 was a bad idea - 8 was a good idea badly done.

I confess I have no idea how much daily involvement Mari Okada has in the composition of this show or AnoHana. But it really seems to me that (so far) that show is getting the bulk of her attention. The different in consistency from week to week is startling. Where that series feels as if it's been on-point all the way and always knows where it's going, this one seems at times to have no plan at all. If I were to guess, the fact that HanaIro is two cour may be a factor - harder to go in with a specific roadmap to last for 24 eps than 11. It could also be that she just has more ongoing involvement with AnoHana. And, of course, that show could plotquake before it's all over.

One thing that really surprises me is seeing some folks defend Takako. To me, she's one of the most blatantly artificial and absurd characters to grace the cast of a relatively serious show in ages, and that's aside from the fact that she's incredibly annoying and seems totally out of synch with the rest of the series. For me, one of the worst characters of the year, easily.
Old 2011-05-23, 09:13   Link #83
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple R
It's now possible that Hanasaku will leap-frog Anohana for me. I can see where you're coming from on Anohana, honestly.

If Ohana continues to "sparkle" as she did in this episode, and if Menma continues to cry constantly, then I may well end up liking Hanasaku more than I do Anohana.

I echo acejem's sentiments that this is one week where I liked the Hanasaku episode more than I did the Anohana one.
Sorry in comparing HanaIro and Anohana AGAIN, but whilst Menma constantly crying in Anohana is indeed a flaw, I consider HanaIro not having strong characters other than Ohana herself is a bigger flaw. I mean if we compare Ohana vs Menma as female leads then yes Ohana is superior, but if we compare the other main characters in AnoHana (Tsuruko, Yukiatsu, Poppo, Anjou) vs the other main characters in HanaIro (Minko, Nako, Yuina, Tomoe, Tooru, Enishi, Takako, Ren etc), AnoHana convincingly outclasses.

And of course the structure in Anohana's plot/story is much more defined and solid then HanaIro, which is somewhat all over the place.

Not to pull anything from this episode as I still hold my sentiment () as it was indeed a fantastic episode compared to what we've been given the past few weeks. However, AnoHana has been consistently delivering solid episodes, with this week being slightly weaker because it was a bit more lighthearted than usual (though it was still good).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I confess I have no idea how much daily involvement Mari Okada has in the composition of this show or AnoHana. But it really seems to me that (so far) that show is getting the bulk of her attention. The different in consistency from week to week is startling. Where that series feels as if it's been on-point all the way and always knows where it's going, this one seems at times to have no plan at all. If I were to guess, the fact that HanaIro is two cour may be a factor - harder to go in with a specific roadmap to last for 24 eps than 11. It could also be that she just has more ongoing involvement with AnoHana. And, of course, that show could plotquake before it's all over.
Isn't Okada also working on the Gosick series as well. Not really sure how that series is turning out, though my sources tell me it isn't fantastic. I personally dropped it after 2 episodes because it was ... let's say boring. Same boat as Fractale (which Okada also wrote). I'm seeing a pattern here... non-slice of life Okada series = not my type. But perhaps you are right in that she might be somewhat "half-assing" both Gosick and HanaIro in favour of AnoHana. It wouldn't be totally out of the picture considering how well AnoHana is doing on Bluray/DVD pre-orders at the moment.
Old 2011-05-23, 09:50   Link #84
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
I confess I have no idea how much daily involvement Mari Okada has in the composition of this show or AnoHana.
Well she has to be more involved in Ano Hana since she's written all the scripts for every episode herself so far (and I expect her to write all of them) while she's only written the script for the first 4 episode and delegated the rest to other writers (for exemple episodes 6 and 8 were written by Tatsuhiko Urahata who's also busy doing all the writting for A-channel this season) of course she still did the outline and supervises.

It's much more frequent to have writers write all the script of a 1 cour show than it is for a two cour show.

edit:though remember,the scriptwriter is involved very early in the process,I'm not sure if Okada is still working on Gosick,Ano Hana or Hanasaku Iroha,just basing all my speculation from this blogpost

Quote:
ne thing that really surprises me is seeing some folks defend Takako. To me, she's one of the most blatantly artificial and absurd characters to grace the cast of a relatively serious show in ages
I defend the show a lot,but yeah,even I roll my eyes in scenes she's in.

Last edited by totoum; 2011-05-23 at 10:17.
Old 2011-05-23, 09:53   Link #85
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Head chef? Ren doesn't look near retiring, though. And Kissuiso is a failing inn.
If you're very good in the US, you get your own restraurant, cooking show etc. Very lucrative to be one of those.

And when you think about it, he's one of the few shown riding a motorcycle, it implies that he's pulling in more income.
Old 2011-05-23, 10:21   Link #86
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
One thing that really surprises me is seeing some folks defend Takako. To me, she's one of the most blatantly artificial and absurd characters to grace the cast of a relatively serious show in ages, and that's aside from the fact that she's incredibly annoying and seems totally out of synch with the rest of the series. For me, one of the worst characters of the year, easily.
The reason I spoke highly of Takako's impact on this episode is that I think she's meant to be annoying. Whereas Minami (Moshidora) highlights the positives and strengths of modern managerial approaches, Takako serves as a Dilbert-esque social commentary on much of what is wrong about modern managerial approaches. She hence serves as an effective antagonistic foil for Ohana, imo.

In real life, I couldn't stand a person like Takako. But in this anime, she's setup as an antagonistic figure for Ohana to overcome, I think, and she works well in that role.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acejem View Post
Sorry in comparing HanaIro and Anohana AGAIN, but whilst Menma constantly crying in Anohana is indeed a flaw, I consider HanaIro not having strong characters other than Ohana herself is a bigger flaw. I mean if we compare Ohana vs Menma as female leads then yes Ohana is superior, but if we compare the other main characters in AnoHana (Tsuruko, Yukiatsu, Poppo, Anjou) vs the other main characters in HanaIro (Minko, Nako, Yuina, Tomoe, Tooru, Enishi, Takako, Ren etc), AnoHana convincingly outclasses.
I see your point here. I have some hope, though, that HanaIro's other major characters may develop and shine more themselves. I already like Nako, Yuina, and Tomoe (though I admit that the first two could use much more development), and I have a feeling that Ko and Tohru might grow on me.

Quote:

And of course the structure in Anohana's plot/story is much more defined and solid then HanaIro, which is somewhat all over the place.
I have to agree with you here.

Quote:
Isn't Okada also working on the Gosick series as well. Not really sure how that series is turning out, though my sources tell me it isn't fantastic. I personally dropped it after 2 episodes because it was ... let's say boring. Same boat as Fractale (which Okada also wrote). I'm seeing a pattern here... non-slice of life Okada series = not my type. But perhaps you are right in that she might be somewhat "half-assing" both Gosick and HanaIro in favour of AnoHana. It wouldn't be totally out of the picture considering how well AnoHana is doing on Bluray/DVD pre-orders at the moment.
Okada does quite a lot. Factoring in Wandering Son, she's been involved in at least five anime shows of note just this year so far (and that's just what I'm now aware of). Overall, it's a very impressive resume that she keeps building for herself.

Last edited by Triple_R; 2011-05-23 at 10:37.
Old 2011-05-23, 12:57   Link #87
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Still, you rated this episode a 9/10. So you clearly liked it a lot. So the drama here couldn't have bothered you that much.

Is it that you feel that the drama-focused episodes and comedy-focused episodes compliment each other?
Yep, I feel the comedy-focused episode are an integral part of this show's "identity" (that's why I never thought there was any crisis). So I wouldn't like them to disappear all of a sudden.

I loved this episode of course. I don't think there was that much drama in it, and what drama there was was handled in a very satisfying manner to me. Grandma didn't fall sick for the sake of creating drama, but to provide an opportunity for Ohana's character to grow even more. In other series, they would have made a huge deal out of that, and it may have even left characters depressed for a while. Instead, here, it increased Ohana's motivation to help the inn, and as a result, she's "sparkling" more than ever. She moped around for only a couple minutes before deciding to take matters into her own hands.

This is what I love in this show: it's uplifting, and not depressing one bit. I just want it to remain that way. I don't mind drama one bit, as long as it's not serious/depressing drama. I enjoy depressing drama in other shows (as long as it's not too melodramatic), but I don't think it'd fit the tone of HanaIro.

Sometimes I get the impression people want this anime to be another AnoHana, and that annoys me a bit. Let AnoHana be AnoHana, and let Hanasaku be HanaIro. I enjoy both, and I think it's a very good thing they're so different from one another. Variety is a wonderul thing.
Old 2011-05-23, 13:44   Link #88
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
If you're very good in the US, you get your own restraurant, cooking show etc. Very lucrative to be one of those.
Sure. Is it implied anywhere he's that good?

Quote:
And when you think about it, he's one of the few shown riding a motorcycle, it implies that he's pulling in more income.
More income than whom? It's not like those are especially expensive. (You know who has an expensive vehicle? Takako. How much do you think of her talent?)

And heck, you might as well point to Tomoe's place. It was pretty nice. And tells us nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Tohru is a dependable cook, and as others have rightly argued on this thread, Kissuiso needs that much more desperately than it needs an inexperienced waitress. What he can bring in a customer service role takes considerable priority over what Ohana can, imo.
I think you're making too much of Ohana's inexperience. She's been there for months. How complicated is her job?

Quote:
Did they even have the phone number for the place?
They could look it up. It's a business, after all. I'm sure the information is publicly available.

Quote:
And even if they did call the place, how long would it take the person who answers the phone to reach Tohru himself?
Not nearly as long as physically going there, if the one who answers is cooperative and makes the attempt at all. It's certainly worth making the attempt.

Quote:
Who was expendable at the time? And also willing to drive?
Jiroumaru. Give him a letter and tape it to his forehead if you don't trust him to speak.
Old 2011-05-23, 14:10   Link #89
Silverwyrm

I felt Takako's plan was flawed and risky. First off, they have no surefire way of knowing the mystery guest, even if they can have a good guess, if there actually IS one. Second, what if they give the mystery guest special treatment, but the talk with the other customers there (there's plenty of room for daily interaction) and find out the two are being treated differently. Either way that's bad for someone if not both. Worse off, what if they treat the wrong customer specially and the mystery guest(if there is one) finds out?

Unless someone is paying for a special room that nets special treatment I can't help but feel its a bad idea because in the case of one person finding out....there's other inns to visit int he future if your obviously just a second rate customer here. They'd probably tell others about it too.
Old 2011-05-23, 14:23   Link #90
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
LOL, I like how Ohana is gonna crash a wedding just to get some help. I guess she sees how truly devoted her grandmother is to her work, and realizes that they must somehow succeed for the sake of everyone.

Indeed, she just rushes in to help; Ohana gains the title of "Befriender Therapist", something only held by Nanoha previously.

I also like how miss Greedy Villain did all that dramatic pointing and logic followups; I was hoping she'd pull some red text out, but whatever.

Minko was bearable this episode, and I lol'd when she did the -_- face.

This is definitely the best episode thus far, getting everything on track, and having subtle BGMs to highlight the mood. You can see some growth between Ohana and Grandma, and I was never bored. And also how is Kou gonna factor into this?

Stupid Jinomaru moment: Trolling rooms for "inspiration"

Rating: 9/10

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2011-05-23, 14:33   Link #91
ipodi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque View Post
How does that stop it from being illogical and stupid?
It's a little overboard to say she is "stupid" when she knows she can find the wedding in 10 minutes.

Quote:
How hard was it to call the place? Or get someone to drive there? Or even change her clothe?Really, the point I'm making isn't that it's going to take a long time to find him, as much as there were other ways to solve this and even if she had to go she could've asked where the location is/changed her clothe/ got one of the adults to drive there etc. or even simply call the place.
I am a little perplexed here. How would the failure to change her cloth be an indication of her "stupidity?" Does it even matter?

As for failing to get her someone to drive there. Many people have already put forth the reason why it is prudent for Oahna to go get Tooru herself, so her action seems to make sense.

Finally, it's unlikely people suddenly decided to change the place where they hold weddings.

Last edited by ipodi; 2011-05-23 at 15:43.
Old 2011-05-23, 17:35   Link #92
Irisiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipodi View Post
Finally, it's unlikely people suddenly decided to change the place where they hold weddings.
*agrees hard on this* Most venues that caters to weddings (even if it's only the ceremony) has a deposit to be paid when reserving the venue in the first place (depending on popularity of the venue, this deposit can get ridiculously high), and this deposit will only be repaid in full if the venue is changed loooong before the date, and usually not at all if it's only within a week, and sometimes, if it's within a few days, well, you'd have to pay the full amount. So, changing venues usually doesn't happen, especially with indoor weddings.

Either way, it seems like Ohana still walks the walk when it comes to making Tooru feel wanted and needed (and she also did this with Nako), or in this case, runs the run.

I don't think it's bad that she didn't change clothes, she's basically showcased Kissuiso's uniform to a whole bunch of people over a wide radius around the inn in a very short time, that could give them some PR points in recognizability (as long as she doesn't crash the wedding, and instead quietly retrieves Tooru, or the points will be negative). It's even better that she went to a place where ceremonies such as weddings are held, as potential honeymooners could be inspecting the spot for their wedding (furthermore, Takako should stop spouting English and think about hotspots where to hand out flyers and the likes, perhaps cultivating a relationship with places where potential travellers frequent).

The decision to not neglect the regulars and majority of new customers will probably pay off, as I have yet to find a national-level inspector/journalist specializing in something and not notice such obviously cut corners. Seriously, Takako is toxic in this episode. You can't cut out the corners on such a small cookie as Kissuiso, as you wont have any cookies left afterwards.

And I'm the only one who thinks that Nako was adorable with her "they really need me!"? I think that might have given her a confidence boost to perform better during such a crucial time (which might also make up for Ohana's absence).
Old 2011-05-23, 21:26   Link #93
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?

Loving this episode. There was absolutely no wasted motion, and I couldn't believe it was already over when the ED started playing. Ohana's little delusion spot near the beginning stands out because it got in all the cuteness that the characters are so good for without it interfering with the epic customer service as various characters try to fill in for the manager. Of course Ohana will not be denied. She is here to chew bubblegum, and serve dinner, and she's all out of bubblegum.

Aside from enjoying the power struggle in Sui's absence, I noticed as most of you did that Ohana is chasing after Tohru for the second time now. Even if it's just to drag him back to work the kitchen, they really are teasing them as a pair. Just as Ko is about to arrive, no less.

Naru's braids are adorable. Tohru looks spiffy in a suit. And was it just me, or did they put a LOT of work and detail into the city that Ohana literally races through in a few short seconds? This show is not fooling around with the animation.

Also, Jiromaru getting everyone riled up over mystery guests = 0% chance of there being any mystery guests.
Old 2011-05-23, 23:44   Link #94
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

Episode 8 Reaction

I'll repeat what I said. KOU’S FINALLY GOING TO SEE OHANA. IT WILL BE TEH SHIZZZ.

Last edited by ahelo; 2011-05-24 at 21:10.
Old 2011-05-24, 03:36   Link #95
Unknown Soldier
:D

I always love how Miss Annoying Business Consultant whips out English words and phrases to sound more convincing or awesome or whatever to the people in the inn.
Old 2011-05-24, 05:10   Link #96
Gohan78
Awakened One

I share the sentiment that this episode was too short! I was on the edge of my seat when Ohana opened the door of the wedding hall and suddenly it was over.
However I have to subtract one point for the illogical decision of sending Ohana to fetch Tooru. They should have tried calling the place. Failing that, it would have been much faster to have Jiroumaru drive her to the hall with the inn's truck (if you don't trust Jiro to persuade Tooru to get back). They would've been short of two employees but what does Jiro do anyway?
Alternatively, Ohana could have taken Minko's place in the kitchen, since she is capable of cooking, while Minko rushed to Tooru. There were many better options to solve the situation but the writer choose to send Ohana for the sake of drama. Still a very nice episode, 9/10.
(De Vermis Mysteriis)
Old 2011-05-24, 05:25   Link #97
Unknown Soldier
:D

It seems pretty obvious to me why Ohana went to get Tohru, other than the fact that she's the main character and the main character is always the one who does these things. She went to get Tohru because she had basically taken charge of the situation at that point and so being the person in charge now, she went to do it herself.

It's like she was saying earlier on, she still has a lot to learn about how to rely on others, it's a task that could easily have been delegated to someone else, but everyone knows the main character is the one who does these things, so she fulfills the Task of the Hero (Shujinko Obligation if you prefer) and does exactly as the script demands!
Old 2011-05-24, 07:49   Link #98
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Taking Charge.

I agree with everything Kanon said. The entire issue with granny's heart could have been milked for all the drama it's worth, but in the end it was used both for the drama and as a stepping stone for Ohana to step up and take charge of the situation. It highlights precisely what I love about the show and Ohana as a character: that for every bit of life's shittiness is a silver lining, and the silver lining is made by the characters themselves, and in this case Ohana. It became an opportunity for her to actually do something as opposed to simply falling into laconic despair. Rather than be depressed abut her granny's health and the state of the inn, she had the maturity and level-headedness to find a way. This is what sets her apart from other leads regardless of gender.
Old 2011-05-24, 08:40   Link #99
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Did Ohana trigger Nako's flag this episode??

Anyway, unless Ko coming to notify that he's transferring to whatever place Kissuiso in. Otherwise this event may really gonna kill off his chance toward Ohana. A misunderstanding can do it, but is not a good development. It's more likely that Ko will see how much Ohana grew up within last few month(s) and found that she's no longer needs him...

Then we also have Tohru and Ohana on the spotlight along with any shipping between them...

Btw, Minko in the manga was actually quite reasonable and not as annoyed as in the anime

Last edited by risingstar3110; 2011-05-24 at 14:48.
Old 2011-05-24, 10:17   Link #100
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

Ren-san!!! Calm down!!! lol...
Tatsuko always messed up everything.... ugh!!
I'm surprised about how Ohana come to the city with that outfit.... maybe she will be assisted by Ko~chan... (ah.. I missed him)
C'mon Kissuiso.... !!
Closed Thread