AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online

Notices

Old 2012-07-19, 08:28   Link #1401
Paranoid Android
Underweight Food Hoarder

Send a message via MSN to Paranoid Android
Well STR is kirito's focus that made him stand out from others. I'm going to guess that there's other paths but DEX alone seems very bland.

I expect some form of vitality/defense. VIT is never mentioned but that's in almost every mmorpg. I don't believe AGI existed for the original SAO. Kirito mentioned breaking the limit of speed/reflexes the game engine allowed, but I think movement just ties in with mental commands rather than character stats.
Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-19, 08:30   Link #1402
DurararaFTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobita View Post
So, what do you think is the best occupation or career that Kirito should pursuit?
Think Kirito has the right idea here, just take Asuna and go do something interesting on the other side of the world far out of the reach of the JSDF and Asuna's mom.
DurararaFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-19, 08:33   Link #1403
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
Well STR is kirito's focus that made him stand out from others. I'm going to guess that there's other paths but DEX alone seems very bland.
Ehh, some DEX orientated builds in MMOs and RPGs rip apart STR orientated builds.
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-19, 09:02   Link #1404
Random Wanderer

Quote:
Which is why Kirito wants to head to the US, he wants to be at the forefront of this technological new wave.
Leaving Japan, which is known as one of the most technologically advanced countries in the world, and going to the US to be at the front of a new technological wave? Seems like an odd choice.

I haven't read Alicization yet. I'm not sure I want to start it until it's all available to be read. But various discussions around here also make it sound like something that introduces some drastic changes in the status quo. I'm not sure I want that either.

Quote:
Kirito had high STR, but it was his insanely high reflexes that made him so impressive. He had the highest reaction speed out of anyone in SAO, which is why he gained the Dual Blades skill.
Random Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-19, 09:14   Link #1405
Rovert10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Wanderer View Post
Leaving Japan, which is known as one of the most technologically advanced countries in the world, and going to the US to be at the front of a new technological wave? Seems like an odd choice.

I haven't read Alicization yet. I'm not sure I want to start it until it's all available to be read. But various discussions around here also make it sound like something that introduces some drastic changes in the status quo. I'm not sure I want that either.
The US is no slouch either. The US has vast amounts of resources for RnD compared to Japan.
Pretty sure we were and still are the leading tech developers. I doubt this is gonna change by 2030.

Thing is that Kirito wants to work on a research project there. Japan hasn't taken action for VR that is known publicly. Or at least anything worth noting. Project Alicization ofc proves there is serious RnD here.
Rovert10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-19, 12:49   Link #1406
kyp275
Meh

^
Pretty much. Japan does have some pretty neat stuff, but overall US is still the leader. It really depends on the specific field.
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-19, 13:13   Link #1407
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
No, but the ability to write essays and correspond just by thinking words out would be invaluable. Imagine how fast you can churn a paper just by thinking of the words, instead of typing.
Except they don't do that. The Nervgear and Amusphere seem to only take commands for motions, not higher thinking. So they're still stuck typing stuff. Though I guess it'll save on eyestrain and carpal tunnel.

Quote:
There are ways to tweak VR training for education too, for instance. You could use VR training for Public Speaking, or practicing speeches. You could use VR training for negotiating skills- this would be especially true in Business-simulator like VR games, especially MMOs where Merchanting is a major component. The lists goes on and on.

You could manipulate and engineer things more effectively using VR simulations, before trying a test run in the real world.

And GGO shows you could probably train excellent soldiers in the VR world, very well. One wonders whether Sinon would get head hunted by parties impressed by her marksmanship skills. Wild Goose explained that rather well - you could do Live firing exercises every day for low cost, though certainly, VR training would not completely supersede real life training. It's just that Real life training would likely be a final stage training.

VR presentations can be incredibly flashy. Imagine summoning up Graphic Holograms for example, or calling out 3D Blueprints you could walk throughout.

Face to face meetings can be conducted from half a world away via VR.

So, don't be too quick to dismiss VR as a fringe technology benefiting the limited skill-set of gamers. It's potentially a game-changer, the next stage of evolution of the continually evolving methods of human communication, that begun with the Telegraph, Telephone, Radio, Television and Internet.
Sure, but that's not what we were talking about. I'm not dismissive of VR - indeed, I'd love for it to allow us to dispense with the whole "going to work" thing -, I'm dismissive of VR game skills, especially as they pertain to Kirito's prospects. Being good at games doesn't make you good at computer programming, let alone the even more abstract thinking a computer scientist will need.

VR can be great for all kinds of stuff - with purpose built software. All Kirito can hope with SAO is getting better with a sword, which isn't going to be very useful. He didn't even practice his people skills all that much.

And heck, even his swordsmanship is probably flawed because it relied on "Battle Healing" and the absence of pain. Getting hit IRL is going to have much graver consequences than "losing 10% of your HP".

Quote:
In any case, SAO is an Apologetic for the Information Revolution, and a Sci-fi Apologetic for technologies only conceived off today. Despite the astounding scandals that afflicted the Industry (and I presume it's one of the most regulated industries by now) , I suspect RETCO in the SAO world must be making as much money as Nintendo did from their DS.
Didn't RECTO sell ALO? And get all kind of trouble because of Sugou and the VR division?
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-19, 13:18   Link #1408
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Retco progress a sub of Retco ran ALO. it was disband after the Suguo was arrested.

the company that bought ALO basically bought the data and the rights. The tech for the current ALO and most VR games (post ALO) are run on freeware (Kayaba's Seed program).
Old 2012-07-19, 13:24   Link #1409
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:

Kirito had high STR, but it was his insanely high reflexes that made him so impressive. He had the highest reaction speed out of anyone in SAO, which is why he gained the Dual Blades skill.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rovert10 View Post
The US is no slouch either. The US has vast amounts of resources for RnD compared to Japan.
Pretty sure we were and still are the leading tech developers. I doubt this is gonna change by 2030.

Thing is that Kirito wants to work on a research project there. Japan hasn't taken action for VR that is known publicly. Or at least anything worth noting. Project Alicization ofc proves there is serious RnD here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
^
Pretty much. Japan does have some pretty neat stuff, but overall US is still the leader. It really depends on the specific field.
there is also the issue of Japan's business culture. Younger companies are suppose to wait their turn and not make waves. Younger workers are suppose to keep thier mouth shut and just obey their elders. There was recent article about how Japanese corporate culture actively discriminate against hirng people with foreign diplomas (even ones form Harvard, Yale) because they are not seen as team players. People who have experience with other cultures are as liabilities not assets. There are a lot admirable qualities in Japanese culture but their extreme group-think and insular thinking is definitely not one of them.

if Kirito and Asuna are looking to break the mold and not wait in line, heading to the US would be the best course.
Old 2012-07-19, 14:37   Link #1410
willx
Nyaaan~~

^ Hey, random, but Xellos, I love the Asa-senpai sig!

Hm.. this is a weird topic of discussion.. but anyone remember a scene where Lisbeth (I think?) thinks about Kirito and is happy remembering that he told her about what happened to his old guild "Black Cats" -- I feel like I'm going crazy cause I was so sure that scene happened..
willx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-19, 15:23   Link #1411
trinitem
Dedicated Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by willx View Post
Hm.. this is a weird topic of discussion.. but anyone remember a scene where Lisbeth (I think?) thinks about Kirito and is happy remembering that he told her about what happened to his old guild "Black Cats" -- I feel like I'm going crazy cause I was so sure that scene happened..
It sounds like something that could have happened...., but finding a recall of the event is difficult.

Vol. 2 Warmth of the Heart - When the guild story was mentioned.

Liz doesn't really play much of a part after that. There's:

Liz and Silica making the pact in Vol. 4 Chapter 9
The clearing celebration also in Vol. 4
Intermittent appearances in Vol. 7
Caliber in Vol. 8

That's what I remember without doing a full sweep at least. You might or might not be crazy in conclusion.
trinitem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-19, 15:27   Link #1412
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinitem View Post
That's what I remember without doing a full sweep at least. You might or might not be crazy in conclusion.
May or may not be crazy, hmm.. sounds legit.
willx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-19, 15:44   Link #1413
Random Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
there is also the issue of Japan's business culture. Younger companies are suppose to wait their turn and not make waves. Younger workers are suppose to keep thier mouth shut and just obey their elders. There was recent article about how Japanese corporate culture actively discriminate against hirng people with foreign diplomas (even ones form Harvard, Yale) because they are not seen as team players. People who have experience with other cultures are as liabilities not assets. There are a lot admirable qualities in Japanese culture but their extreme group-think and insular thinking is definitely not one of them.

if Kirito and Asuna are looking to break the mold and not wait in line, heading to the US would be the best course.
This is something I hadn't thought of, although I am familiar with that aspect of Japanese culture. With that in mind it would make sense for him to head overseas, although the idea of him having to leave his circle of friends makes me sad.
Random Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-19, 15:50   Link #1414
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

There's also the fact that the SAO incident happened in Japan. There may be less of a stigma on that research in the US.
Old 2012-07-19, 15:51   Link #1415
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
This is something I hadn't thought of, although I am familiar with that aspect of Japanese culture. With that in mind it would make sense for him to head overseas, although the idea of him having to leave his circle of friends makes me sad.
with the advance in VR tech, it is not that bad. They can still spend a lot of time together in ALO.
Old 2012-07-19, 15:57   Link #1416
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
with the advance in VR tech, it is not that bad. They can still spend a lot of time together in ALO.
Not so sure. They seem to like to segregate servers by geography. And more importantly, the different timezones will be a bitch,
Old 2012-07-19, 16:02   Link #1417
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Not so sure. They seem to like to segregate servers by geography. And more importantly, the different timezones will be a bitch,
the time zone will be a problem but segregation of servers by geography seems to be just a GGO thing.
Old 2012-07-19, 16:25   Link #1418
Netto Azure
→ Wandering Bard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekiryuutei View Post
Just out of curiosity.. How many different types of stats can you invest in SAO? I know there's STR and DEX, but is there any other?
You can also invest in AGI according to the Aria Continuation ME.

They had Ninja-Types there stalking Argo IIRC.

PokeCommuninity | Bulbagarden | Tumblr | MAL
Netto Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-19, 16:26   Link #1419
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netto Azure View Post
You can also invest in AGI according to the Aria Continuation ME.

They had Ninja-Types there stalking Argo IIRC.
That so, huh..
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-19, 16:29   Link #1420
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekiryuutei View Post
Just out of curiosity.. How many different types of stats can you invest in SAO? I know there's STR and DEX, but is there any other?
the 3 confirm is Str, Agi and Luck

My guess is

Vit = HP/defense
Spirit = resistance against poison/paralysis

would also be included

Tags
action, harem, kirito, non-harem, possible harem, romance, shounen, tragedy, virtual reality