AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Log Horizon

Notices

Old 2013-11-05, 08:13   Link #1
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Log Horizon - FanFiction Discussion

Welcome to the Log Horizon FanFiction Discussion thread.

This thread is meant for Log Horizon fanfiction and its discussion. Fanfiction works can be either posted in this thread or in the Fan Creations Forum and linked to in this thread. You may also link to Fanfiction works posted on other sites and discuss it here.

General rules of our forum still apply:
  • No sexually explicit material. Yes, this goes for text format as well.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members
  • Have fun, but post intelligently

Please respect the authors, fanfictions are written in their free time, they have have no gain and owe you nothing; if they like a particular character and/or a particular pattern for their story, it's a personal choice and can't be blamed. In general, you are free to post constructive criticisms but not insults which (as in any other part of the forums) won't be tolerated. Remember that writers post here to get help and not to get troubles.

Thanks and have fun
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-06, 03:58   Link #2
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

I was happily writing when I realized I have no idea what a Mechanic does. :/

Forgive me if the canon profession is nothing like I depict...!
Old 2013-11-06, 21:10   Link #3
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
It bears mentioning that Mamare welcomes fanfiction, as really good ones ones get a chance to be used as actual setting-info for the series.

So if you sell the idea that this is how the Mechanic works in your fanfiction well enough, then Mamare might shrug, say "well that works", and include it in the Log Horizon canon.
Old 2013-11-07, 07:18   Link #4
Benigmatica
Deadpan Rambler

Send a message via Yahoo to Benigmatica
Say, is blackpowder firearms allowed too? Upon looking at the races in Elder Tale, I was thinking of dwarves making muskets and cannons if they have artisans as their sub-class.
Benigmatica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-07, 12:25   Link #5
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benigmatica View Post
Say, is blackpowder firearms allowed too? Upon looking at the races in Elder Tale, I was thinking of dwarves making muskets and cannons if they have artisans as their sub-class.
We did see one guy with a cannon arm in Demikas's army, so it seems to be possible.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-07, 12:40   Link #6
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
I figure out that firearms are a little more widespread in european and american servers. At least up to flintlock muskets.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-07, 13:03   Link #7
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

I believe the author was also considering cowboys for the American servers, which would mean revolvers.
Old 2013-11-07, 18:10   Link #8
darksassin
Is this dangerous??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
It bears mentioning that Mamare welcomes fanfiction, as really good ones ones get a chance to be used as actual setting-info for the series.

So if you sell the idea that this is how the Mechanic works in your fanfiction well enough, then Mamare might shrug, say "well that works", and include it in the Log Horizon canon.
Will he accept English submitted fanwork though?
Old 2013-11-07, 19:19   Link #9
Xacual

He accepts people asking him questions in english on his twitter, don't know why he wouldn't accept english fan suggestions.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-08, 04:25   Link #10
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

A full English work might be a tad difficult for him to read, but the shot never fired always misses.
Old 2013-11-08, 04:32   Link #11
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Hmmm... Rather than calling them cowboys, why not "Gunslinger" ? It sounds more gender neutral and it's still technically the same thing.

Have it replaced the 'bard' as a proper archer class for the NA servers.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-08, 05:01   Link #12
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

So much like Kannagi being called shinto priests/miko by the players, the official term is gunslinger, but the players call them cowboys/cowgirls?

Yeah, that sounds good. Though the loss of the bard class saddens me. Perhaps we can fuse the two? With gunslingers being ranged-centered bards?
Old 2013-11-08, 05:34   Link #13
Estavali
物語は、もう、おしまい……?

Hmmm, maybe what we can do is just carry on as usual, as in come up with ideas, work on them and post them here for all to read. We can at the same time ask someone with good Nihongo to tell Mamare about Animesuki's LogHora community.

”橙乃先生~” 
”?” 
”これ見て~”
*adds link*.

In other words, just notify him about this horde of crazy people over here that like (or might not really like but still like to argue over) LogHora. Whether he will come over or not is up to him, but at least the awareness would be there =3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Hmmm... Rather than calling them cowboys, why not "Gunslinger" ? It sounds more gender neutral and it's still technically the same thing.

Have it replaced the 'bard' as a proper archer class for the NA servers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
So much like Kannagi being called shinto priests/miko by the players, the official term is gunslinger, but the players call them cowboys/cowgirls?

Yeah, that sounds good. Though the loss of the bard class saddens me. Perhaps we can fuse the two? With gunslingers being ranged-centered bards?
One thing to consider about replacing the Bard with Gunslinger is that the Bard is mainly a support character not too unlike the Enchanter. The permanent support song is perhaps her main feature, supportive skills that remain in effect until switch with another. A Bard can learn up to 15 such songs, of which 10 are already available to even characters below level 30, and can have two supportive songs up at the same time. In other words, the Paladin's Auras from Diablo 2, with a musical theme. Replacing such an interesting support class just to have a pure ranged attacker is imho a great pity.

In terms of ranged attackers, the Assassin can in fact fill in that role pretty well. There's in fact a ranged Assassin in Marielle's Crescent Moon Alliance (the Foxtail fellow with the crossbow) and the spin-off manga Honey Moon Log once showed him using a ranged Assassinate.

I would say that if the Gunslinger is to replace any class, it should be the Assassin instead of the Bard. Or even the Swashbuckler: we can have the 'Slinger deal ranged damage that comes with anomalies (FFA Gunner with more firepower) and dual-wielding gunners at the same time

Or easiest of all, just add Gunslinger to the list of subclasses. Now you can be both at the same time

Btw, I once read from the PTT bulletin board that Mamare has planned the Pirate and the Medium/Spirit-talker for the American servers. Can anyone help confirm this? =D

Signature by liro

Last edited by Estavali; 2013-11-08 at 05:47. Reason: Added link for image =3
Estavali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-08, 06:29   Link #14
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Hmmm... so bard is really fundamentally different from a range non magic dps huh....
Old 2013-11-08, 06:37   Link #15
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Vastly so. Assassin and swashbuckler are far more likely candidates for this.

Perhaps we should think of it less as making an entirely new class, and more as builds. We already know assassins can make ranged builds, for example. A dual-wielding swashbuckler with two pistols that debuff targets? That sounds like an excellent build for people to take.
Old 2013-11-08, 07:33   Link #16
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post

That will never work. For one, I'm doing a scene by scene gig exploring little aspects of Log Hora, rather than a continuous story.

Next, my writing is terrible.

The title of my fic is tentatively [The Daily Lives of Elder Tales Players]

Lastly, I'm basically writing about a Cleric/Warpriest "Engineer" who is trapped with a fellow female Frost/Fire Enchanter Pharmacist in Log Hora. The twist? They are married IRL, and are older players.

But... Somehow I've been inspired to try.

*better get the balance right...!*

Last edited by MeisterBabylon; 2013-11-09 at 18:12.
MeisterBabylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-08, 09:29   Link #17
Estavali
物語は、もう、おしまい……?

Enchanters don't conquer Fire and Ice, my dear chap, nor are they offensive-inclined. The class you want is the Sorcerer: http://lh.oksub.me/wiki/Sorcerer

Signature by liro
Estavali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-08, 09:40   Link #18
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estavali View Post
Hmmm, maybe what we can do is just carry on as usual, as in come up with ideas, work on them and post them here for all to read. We can at the same time ask someone with good Nihongo to tell Mamare about Animesuki's LogHora community.

”橙乃先生~” 
”?” 
”これ見て~”
*adds link*.

In other words, just notify him about this horde of crazy people over here that like (or might not really like but still like to argue over) LogHora. Whether he will come over or not is up to him, but at least the awareness would be there =3

One thing to consider about replacing the Bard with Gunslinger is that the Bard is mainly a support character not too unlike the Enchanter. The permanent support song is perhaps her main feature, supportive skills that remain in effect until switch with another. A Bard can learn up to 15 such songs, of which 10 are already available to even characters below level 30, and can have two supportive songs up at the same time. In other words, the Paladin's Auras from Diablo 2, with a musical theme. Replacing such an interesting support class just to have a pure ranged attacker is imho a great pity.

In terms of ranged attackers, the Assassin can in fact fill in that role pretty well. There's in fact a ranged Assassin in Marielle's Crescent Moon Alliance (the Foxtail fellow with the crossbow) and the spin-off manga Honey Moon Log once showed him using a ranged Assassinate.

I would say that if the Gunslinger is to replace any class, it should be the Assassin instead of the Bard. Or even the Swashbuckler: we can have the 'Slinger deal ranged damage that comes with anomalies (FFA Gunner with more firepower) and dual-wielding gunners at the same time

Or easiest of all, just add Gunslinger to the list of subclasses. Now you can be both at the same time

Btw, I once read from the PTT bulletin board that Mamare has planned the Pirate and the Medium/Spirit-talker for the American servers. Can anyone help confirm this? =D
So would instead an hypothetical Cowboy don a mightily inspiring banjo and help his companions with the power of country music ?

My other fanfiction can be found here.
Gan_HOPE326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-08, 10:31   Link #19
Neki Ecko
Dancing with the Sky

Send a message via Yahoo to Neki Ecko
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gan_HOPE326 View Post
So would instead an hypothetical Cowboy don a mightily inspiring banjo and help his companions with the power of country music ?
Or a wanna-be cowboy that shoots out bullets of magic or mana out of his gun (I know its copy from some other animes like Black Cat and Trigun).

I know that new sub-classes could be made like Explorer, Wicca (Witch/Warlock), and others.

I had one idea about what is going on the NA servers with a trio of a Monk (Explorer), Cleric (Teasure Hunter) and Sorcerer (who thinks that she/he is a witch), but I suck writing these things.
Old 2013-11-08, 11:30   Link #20
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Hmmm I seem to recall that you can have a "vampire" subclass, but wouldn't that be unchangeable ?

Tags
fanfiction, log horizon