AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-01-25, 04:23   Link #18921
Kha
~ I Do ~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralTigerclaw View Post
Spoiler for OC character Data:

That should keep it all compact.
I'm impressed. Everything here is pretty much in order. If you don't mind, Sak-chan's designation for Crash would be Murphy-tan.

Just one little thing: I think the thread's a little edgy about the feasibility of deploying a gravity drive on a small device. I remember someone getting gunned down for wanting to loading a gravity engine into one of his characters, and I got shot for wanting to use Tronium on things smaller than a starship.

EDIT:

~~~Several hours later...~~~

It's... so... quiet...

Well since I'm bored, I decided to try and make Sheesh player work for once, and after some browser fiddling...

Needless to say, I have a job for Samurai Penguins. Interested in doing some Outer Cadia Soundstages?

Last edited by Kha; 2008-01-25 at 07:53.
Old 2008-01-25, 09:36   Link #18922
Liingo
Love Hina?

Quote:
Yes... But more... complete.
---
Anywho, I got my OC written up, so I'll put it up here before I turn in for the night. Of course, it's a monster length data bit, but I tend to do that. So what you guys want to do with him...

----

First things first, welcome to the thread XD. I'm pretty sure the others have covered the relevenant info already so I won't bother with that.

On to the OC review.

1) Why wasn't he kicked out after causing said damage in the first place? This was something that would have cost millions/ billions even.... Unless you're saying that the TSAB can afford to just throw away said money without batting an eyelid..

2) SS+ magical explosions? Riight...... SS isn't something that you throw around lightly. Roughly speaking, it would be something like the SLB that Nanoha used in ep 25 of strikers and despite the claims of 'magic damage' it still left a damm big crater in the floor of the cradle. The way I see it, the only reason Vivio survied was because of the use of plot shields (yay fun.) Even then I can's see the explosions rocking the HQ unless of course they were so bloody idiotic that they decided to conduct the test right on top of the place..

3) Lol Macguyver...

4) Reading through the device details, it seems like you're trying to build a gundam (or something similar..) How about no? You're putting far too much into your device. Look, Barrier jacket is fine, staff/weapon is fine. Say 5-10 kg. The things that you're talking about it going to be a lot more that this... Armour plating? Sensors equivalent to a battleship? Seriously WTF?

5) Attacks, they're too powerful. TONE THEM DOWN! 4 cartridges for SS? Yeah maybe for the cream of the crop (Nanoha, Hayate etc.) DEFINATELY NOT FOR THE FODDER. (C-Rank mages)

Sorry, this is just waayyy out of the Nanoha standards that have been shown in canon to even think about this as it currently stands. What you're proposing is essentially a mini-GUNDAM or something equally equivalent.

You asked what we want to do with him? I'm not even sure about the character. Sure it sounds fine but I just can't see someone who's just wrecked a frickin spacehip getting welcomed with open arms into the TSAB. I'm even more agaisn't the device.

I'm not sure what show you've been watching...... It's obviously a lot different to the one that I sat through a few months ago..

Right...

now that's done with, I'll post the prologue to my new fic(no OC's).. since none of you guys seemed to have saw it in the ff thread...

Spoiler for Our Mistress:

You're probably all aware already, but don't expect updates for a little while..
Comments, flames, etc welcome.
Old 2008-01-25, 10:02   Link #18923
Kha
~ I Do ~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liingo View Post
I'm not sure what show you've been watching...... It's obviously a lot different to the one that I sat through a few months ago..
Ah the Gurren Lagann craze really burned things up here. I can still smell the gunpowder coming from the Revolvers...

S&W: *sneeze*

I do hope my planned OC surge doesn't beget this gigantic assault... >_<

Admiral, don't give up k? Just polish it up a little and we'll see again.

@Fic: I didn't manage to comment on it, but it kinda took me a while to get what is going on... And to think we just had a nasty round of "Hayate no Naku Koro ni" , I hope the release of ur fic isn't gonna upset Aaron's stomach.
Old 2008-01-25, 10:12   Link #18924
SpaceBrotha
Wild card

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kha View Post
And to think we just had a nasty round of "Hayate no Naku Koro ni" , I hope the release of ur fic isn't gonna upset Aaron's stomach.
What's so nasty about hayate no naku koro ni?

And Aaron will tough it out, pain and trials make growth for humans... and those two are also the easiest ways to get some emotion into a story

Though i'm sensing a whole lot of and quite a bit of coming our way...
Sayings and quotes hold wisdom in them. Either the wisdom is found in the correctness of the quote, or in the lesson learned from the error.
Hard part is figuring out who's making the errors...
Old 2008-01-25, 10:12   Link #18925
Liingo
Love Hina?

Quote:
Ah the Gurren Lagann craze really burned things up here. I can still smell the gunpowder coming from the Revolvers...

S&W: *sneeze*

What so we need more hot blood to get the posting up again. Then again.. that might be the final straw that gets this place locked down since the mods are now prowling around in here from time to time...
Quote:
I do hope my planned OC surge doesn't beget this gigantic assault... >_<
Depends on how ridiculous the ideas are... Knowing you though... I'm not even going to be able to get past the copy-pasta to want to comment on your OC's..
Quote:
Admiral, don't give up k? Just polish it up a little and we'll see again.
:nods: Don't take it too personally... there's just lines that really shouldn't be crossed... Sure it's fun to thrown things into the characters, but not to the point where one of them is capable of wiping the floor with the canon cast (who are essentially the best of the best that are available.)
Quote:
@Fic: I didn't manage to comment on it, but it kinda took me a while to get what is going on... And to think we just had a nasty round of "Hayate no Naku Koro ni" , I hope the release of ur fic isn't gonna upset Aaron's stomach.
He already had a look at it in the ff thread. He didn't seem to have to much of a problem there. There are differences between my crack and Tormenks crack though. The time and also the scenarios are totally different.
Old 2008-01-25, 10:31   Link #18926
Kha
~ I Do ~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceBrotha View Post
What's so nasty about hayate no naku koro ni?
Simply because I didn't get my USOOOOODAAAAA response, and ended having to eat my words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceBrotha View Post
And Aaron will tough it out, pain and trials make growth for humans... and those two are also the easiest ways to get some emotion into a story

Though i'm sensing a whole lot of and quite a bit of coming our way...
Oh definitely.

Quote:
What so we need more hot blood to get the posting up again.
SONOTORI!

ORETACHI WO DARE DA--
Quote:
Then again.. that might be the final straw that gets this place locked down since the mods are now prowling around in here from time to time...
*cough**ack*

*watches Skyfall's cat Prowl past*

*whistles innocently*

Quote:
Depends on how ridiculous the ideas are... Knowing you though... I'm not even going to be able to get past the copy-pasta to want to comment on your OC's..
I'll surprise you then. ...

...as long as you don't read Rebuilt Kha's dossier first. Among his new nicknames is the Copycat Knight after all...

And to preserve the twist in Rebuilt of StrikerS, I'll have to delay the release of Rebuilt Artei's dossier. Hope you guys don't mind. :3
Quote:
He already had a look at it in the ff thread. He didn't seem to have to much of a problem there. There are differences between my crack and Tormenks crack though. The time and also the scenarios are totally different.
Oh yeah slipped my mind. Na I was just pulling ye leg there.
Old 2008-01-25, 10:32   Link #18927
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:

Sorry, this is just waayyy out of the Nanoha standards that have been shown in canon to even think about this as it currently stands. What you're proposing is essentially a mini-GUNDAM or something equally equivalent.

Not wanting to spark some flames, but don't I see mechs getting drilled in it, tho? I have been thinking about slapping in some characters as exercise for character design but that stuff is shying me into doing it. My influences are more Conan the Barbarian, Elric the Necromancer, Dune, Lodoss War and movies like Braveheart, Gladiator and Kingdom of Heaven than mech anime.
Old 2008-01-25, 10:43   Link #18928
Kha
~ I Do ~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Not wanting to spark some flames, but don't I see mechs getting drilled in it, tho? I have been thinking about slapping in some characters as exercise for character design but that stuff is shying me into doing it. My influences are more Conan the Barbarian, Elric the Necromancer, Dune, Lodoss War and movies like Braveheart, Gladiator and Kingdom of Heaven than mech anime.
Oh HELL no.

It's just me and a few others who try every means to dodge, bribe, kill just can't resist the draw of it. Don't let our likings put you off, just shoot. We all want the OC thread to be as varied as ever, otherwise it would either be a sentai Metal Hero or a Mobilesuit creation thread.

Lingo for one is the best example of a non-mecha OCer. See why he's policing things here? And there's Tk, our dear (gruff) Sergeant Major bent on instilling discipline in our cadres, and Aaron doing his part on holding the fort. All of them aren't that mechy, so feel free to post urs. We might not get the refs, but it'll still be fun to read.

Besides, the less we get the refs, the more it'll look original and stand out, ne?

As for me, I just ripoff so much its my sad trademark now...

So bottomline: JUST SHOOT IT!

Last edited by Kha; 2008-01-25 at 10:53.
Old 2008-01-25, 11:03   Link #18929
Erio
Hiromi

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post

Our own device voiced by Donna Burke

*runs*

HU3G SPOIL3R!!

Quote:
It's my little take on it, as the events widely deviate, like the earlier appearances of the Numbers, better foreshadowing and battling NMs and Ex-Numbers.
That's fine by me, just refer to "Kerokanon" as the "default" OC canon timeline to prevent future confusions.

Quote:
I chose Clotho because Kha and him are all speed types.
So Kha will be using his speed BJ form (forget the name) against Clotho? This will be interesting.

Quote:
Yes... But more... complete.
---
Anywho, I got my OC written up, so I'll put it up here before I turn in for the night. Of course, it's a monster length data bit, but I tend to do that. So what you guys want to do with him...

----

lol This is one of the most fun profiles I have read, similar to that of Tais. And hey, this guy is similar to Tais as well.

I like the concept, but as Liingo has said, you may need to tone it down a little to fit the Nanohaverse.

Quote:
now that's done with, I'll post the prologue to my new fic(no OC's).. since none of you guys seemed to have saw it in the ff thread...

Spoiler for Our Mistress:

You're probably all aware already, but don't expect updates for a little while..
Comments, flames, etc welcome.
I like it so far...but is that Hayate?! I now wonder what happened to her. Will be looking forward for the next chapter.

Aaron better not read this...

Quote:
First, welcome to the thread.

Just read what Kha said. Dont worry about mechs or even technology. The Nanohaverse has unlimited possibilities. Just as there are civilizations that make use of technomagic (Mid-Childa), there are others that make use of only technology (Earth), as well as others that make use of only magic.
Old 2008-01-25, 11:15   Link #18930
Kha
~ I Do ~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erio View Post

HU3G SPOIL3R!!
At the moment I can only wonder why a sniper RH is a huge spoiler...

Quote:
That's fine by me, just refer to "Kerokanon" as the "default" OC canon timeline to prevent future confusions.
I don't know... Do we want to widely deviate from the original? I thought what I was doing was just filling in the gaps in Keroko's profiles in the different stages of her life. After all, I think I haven't deviated from what Keroko-kun has written.

Quote:
So Kha will be using his speed BJ form (forget the name) against Clotho? This will be interesting.

Kha wears the new Vex suit as an additional layer over the base form of his summoned Knight Armor during the Battle of Cradle. The suit boosts all of his attributes evenly, but as such is just a "Jack of All Trades but Master of None" kinda setting. Hence, against Clotho, that is not enough, so we'll definitely have Cast Off into Jaegerform, the speed armor.

Cheesy Announcer: But with Fate a little "tied up", even THAT is not enough. Can the Cleric rise above this dire challenge? Can he conquer his own demons and emerge victorious?

All this and more, on the next, The Cleric Forever!

*cues cheesy 1960s Batman theme*

Old 2008-01-25, 12:47   Link #18931
AdmiralTigerclaw
Sword Wielding Penguin

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralTigerclaw
Like you guys are going to scare me... Drill sergeants are more frightening.

Anywho, addressing the issues.
Quote:

1) Why wasn't he kicked out after causing said damage in the first place? This was something that would have cost millions/ billions even.... Unless you're saying that the TSAB can afford to just throw away said money without batting an eyelid..
This is one of those 'WHY INDEED' things. Nobody rightly knows why he didn't get kicked out. But I think it had something to do with the fact that he was at the center of a 'parked', powered down starship, and wasn't actually 'doing anything wrong' when he somehow wrecked it.

Quote:
2) SS+ magical explosions? Riight...... SS isn't something that you throw around lightly. Roughly speaking, it would be something like the SLB that Nanoha used in ep 25 of strikers and despite the claims of 'magic damage' it still left a damm big crater in the floor of the cradle. The way I see it, the only reason Vivio survied was because of the use of plot shields (yay fun.) Even then I can's see the explosions rocking the HQ unless of course they were so bloody idiotic that they decided to conduct the test right on top of the place..
Nah, but your perspective helps. I see SS as tactical nuclear level firepower. In this case, testing would be condcuted in the middle of nowhere. But the resulting massive explosion isn't intentional, it is after all, a test accident. Just like how the Jewel Seed going off in the first series was an accident. Weird things happen at test ranges in real life.

EDIT:

"But CRAAAZY stuff happens in nowhere! It's up to Crash to save his new home!"

Quote:
3) Lol Macguyver...
Gotta have the humor.

Quote:
4) Reading through the device details, it seems like you're trying to build a gundam (or something similar..) How about no? You're putting far too much into your device. Look, Barrier jacket is fine, staff/weapon is fine. Say 5-10 kg. The things that you're talking about it going to be a lot more that this... Armour plating? Sensors equivalent to a battleship? Seriously WTF?
Yes, armor plating. May seem like too much, but we're talking about something that's being built to military spec. And I don't mean TSAB Military Spec, I mean, military spec where the military wants equipment that simply WTFOMGPWNS the enemy, just like the real world US Military. It's got Tungsten Carbide and Titanium Alloy attatched to a powered exoskeleton with an internal gravity propulsion system to assist it. It's heavy as sin, but it's addressed. Now, if I REALLY wanted to weigh that thing down and put heavy armor on it, there's always Depleted Uranium and Chobholm Armor. I'm building a Mantank after all.

Anywho, as for sensors, you're probably right, I can tone that down easily enough. Maybe toss in an extra clause that asside from range, resolution as well is inferior to a cruiser's suite. That should allow the armor to retain the ability to do all the detecting that a cruiser can do, but it can't do it as far away (IE, maybe the advanced sensors only work to the horizon) , or with as much clarity (by an order of magnitude) as a Cruiser. One would figure that after the number of times the TSAB has had Enforces and the like caught in sensor blocking barriers, someone by now should have built a mobile platform that can provide the same tracking suite to the mages. That leaves me with a question though... what kind of sensor system is a magical sensor... they seem to be passive scanning systems rather than active scans, as they seem to detect things only after it becomes a serious problem.

Quote:
5) Attacks, they're too powerful. TONE THEM DOWN! 4 cartridges for SS? Yeah maybe for the cream of the crop (Nanoha, Hayate etc.) DEFINATELY NOT FOR THE FODDER. (C-Rank mages)
I'll address that one by tripling the cartraige load, how's that sound? (Twelve carties for a SS shot plus something like thirty seconds prep time to fire...) Plus I'll toss in 'if the pilot can handle it' clause on the end to deal with it. That way we don't get any C rank mages firing off a Meteor Shower unless they're willing to pass out after the first shot.

Quote:

Nah, just a power armor powered by magic really. And as for Nanoha standards, you've got a better more in depth perspective on it, so you're helping me to scale power levels and refine the mechanics.

EDIT 2

Okay, so I did the modifications, plus another review on Grav. Drive... just so it doesn't 'break the bank'.

For some clarity, Grav. Drive systems in device form cannot be functional on their own, as that alone will not allow flight performance... However, it can be used to assist existing flight magic when you're dealing with massive flight loading such as heavy armor. It is still experimental (Why do you think it's TEST PHASE Equipment?) and not available without special clearance.

Now for the updated segment, issues addressed, powers nerfed accordingly, cautions put into place to better scale it back.

Spoiler for OC Character Data Revised.:

Last edited by AdmiralTigerclaw; 2008-01-25 at 15:24. Reason: "Ohhh! SHINY!!!"
Old 2008-01-25, 16:23   Link #18932
Evangelion Xgouki
NERV Personnel
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Evangelion Xgouki Send a message via MSN to Evangelion Xgouki
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
But the Covenant have PLASMA GRENADES.
Ph34r the "Blue Spiders"

Quote:
No matter, it's not the breast that matters, it's the heart
Aww...such a sweet thing to say

Quote:
I Stand Corrected
Bwahaha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiji Tabibito View Post
<sigh> You need to work on your timing - your jabs have no impact to them whatsoever...practice swings. Now.
Shamsel: Timing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FieryAeon View Post
@xgouki: Managed to read your finalized piece on the theme park outing for Yuunoha. All I can say is Vivio >>> Yuuno. Don't worry ferret boy...there's always next time.
I just had to have a lot of Vivio in it. She's just so CUTE!

Quote:

And don't forget

HENSHIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I blame my watching Den-O for the sudden crack thought:

Nanoha: Fin Funnel Form (blue)

Fate: Scythe Form (black)

Hayate: Blasting Form (white)

Quote:
Originally Posted by USB500 View Post
Rider JUMP! Reider KICK!
Kamen Rider! Kamen Rider!
RIDER! RIDER!!!

Quote:

----

Yay! A new OC

Quote:
What so we need more hot blood to get the posting up again. Then again.. that might be the final straw that gets this place locked down since the mods are now prowling around in here from time to time...
You can never have enough HOT BLOOD
Old 2008-01-25, 17:29   Link #18933
AdmiralTigerclaw
Sword Wielding Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evangelion Xgouki View Post

Never enough... And I'm feeling inspired like I haven't in a long time... when was the last time I was inspired to make one of my semi comical AMVs? Year and a half?

Because I'm tempted, oh I'm tempted here to make a Nanoha AMV to 'Taste The Blood from Devil May Cry 3."

Spoiler for The following is Restricted:

Think I should make a Nanoha AMV with that song?

Last edited by AdmiralTigerclaw; 2008-01-25 at 17:31. Reason: Now how did you all embed Youtube vids?
Old 2008-01-25, 21:08   Link #18934
Liingo
Love Hina?

Quote:
*watches Skyfall's cat Prowl past*

*whistles innocently*

Quote:

I'll surprise you then. ...

...as long as you don't read Rebuilt Kha's dossier first. Among his new nicknames is the Copycat Knight after all...

And to preserve the twist in Rebuilt of StrikerS, I'll have to delay the release of Rebuilt Artei's dossier.
Like I said, we'll get to it when you give us the details.
Quote:
You're more than welcome to join in. How harsh the critique of the characters posted in here depends on just how wacky it is in comparison to Nanoha mechanics. As long as it's within the limits of canon(well what we've seen of it) then it's not going to get too mcuh criticism.

Like the others have said, feel free to post an OC. References are fine, as long as they're not so obvious that they're a complete ripoff of what ever it is that you're trying to pay homage to *coughkhacough*
Quote:
I like it so far...but is that Hayate?! I now wonder what happened to her. Will be looking forward for the next chapter.

Aaron better not read this...
Yes that's Hayate... details to come in a reverse timeskip...

Aaron's already read it.. he's not dead yet...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evangelion Xgouki View Post
Oh fun..

Tigerclaw I'll get to looking through it fully later, not much time at the moment, but although you've toned it down slightly, it looks like it's still way over canon, even the crazy canon that exists in here...
Old 2008-01-25, 21:43   Link #18935
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
Quote:
Oh HELL no.

It's just me and a few others who try every means to dodge, bribe, kill just can't resist the draw of it. Don't let our likings put you off, just shoot. We all want the OC thread to be as varied as ever, otherwise it would either be a sentai Metal Hero or a Mobilesuit creation thread.

Lingo for one is the best example of a non-mecha OCer. See why he's policing things here? And there's Tk, our dear (gruff) Sergeant Major bent on instilling discipline in our cadres, and Aaron doing his part on holding the fort. All of them aren't that mechy, so feel free to post urs. We might not get the refs, but it'll still be fun to read.
In the same way, while Kagerou and I are mecha fans, the main influence on our OCs, the Order of Freelance Mages, has been the Halo universe: the OFM's Assault Platoon's barrier jackets are ODST armor, they use Halo weapons, and Halo references are rife everywhere (the Sergeant Major was a former Marine sniper, his name, Ivanovich, translates as "Son of John" - aka Johnson - and his rifle device is a BR55HB fused with a Storage Device core.)

...oh, and we have Master Chief as well. And Pelicans. And Warthogs. And plasma grenades. ^^;;

@Tigerclaw: Okay, looks quite good, and I think it would be quite handy if the bugs could be worked out. And a Jacket Purge option? *grins* Well, Nanoha IS chock-full of mecha refs - like the Jacket Purge option of Wildwurger....

I believe in miracles.

Old 2008-01-26, 00:50   Link #18936
AdmiralTigerclaw
Sword Wielding Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
@Tigerclaw: Okay, looks quite good, and I think it would be quite handy if the bugs could be worked out. And a Jacket Purge option? *grins* Well, Nanoha IS chock-full of mecha refs - like the Jacket Purge option of Wildwurger....
Most of the kinks I think are ironed out on this round myself.

The major issue was mainly the Overpower deal. And that's not really actual functional issue, but just me slapping 'numbers' onto paper. (Or rather whatever Rank sounds good.)

What I like about devices, and machines of this manner, is that technically, there is no real limitation to it. You can build on whatever you want to a machine and get away with it. The nice thing is, that doesn't make the machine overpowered, it gives it overpower POTENTIAL. A machine still requires an operator. And if your operator doesn't have the epic skills to use the machine to its full potential, the the team of Machine and Operator just don't fill out to that overpower factor.

As an example, you could have Keitaro Urashima from Love Hina and Master Chief from HALO, and a Spartan II's MJLNOR Armor. Now, if you stick Chief in that armor, you can see just how wicked it is. You stick Keitaro in that armor, and I doubt he'll last very long against even a single Grunt. (Assuming of course, we're handwaving away the fact that your practically NEED to be a supersoldier just to survive wearing the armor.)

I like to think of the OC I'm working on as a character who, you've given a Leatherman Multitool to... but he only uses the knife and the screwdriver on it most of the time, and doesn't really deal with most of the other functions outside of necessity or familiarization. Of course, he's got, when he needs it, the ability to make the knife pick an electronic lock, but that's under crazy circumstances that would be tied directly to plot events.

That's one thing I think about for equipment though. You should design it so it can bring full potential from the top tier, but still function for your overwhelming masses of the Lowest Common Denominator.

The question is now: How much more nerfing can I do without sacrificing the potential... Reminds me of MOD balance for BF2 Dcon. How to give that helicopter the edge you want when it's got the right operator, but not make it easy enough to utilize that just any pilot can hop in and start killing tanks.
Old 2008-01-26, 03:18   Link #18937
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to dkellis Send a message via AIM to dkellis Send a message via MSN to dkellis
Quote:
Oh HELL no.

Besides, the less we get the refs, the more it'll look original and stand out, ne?

As for me, I just ripoff so much its my sad trademark now...

So bottomline: JUST SHOOT IT!
To add on to this, I've mentioned before (early on in the thread's life; I think it's among my first posts in here, actually) that it would be best if the references are kept as independent as possible from the action. In other words, don't assume that your readers know what the reference is.

Spoiler for Warning: incoming rant.:

tl;dr: References should be references. Crossovers should be crossovers. Neither are bad, but the two are not the same thing.

As for the mecha-references thing, I'm not a mecha anime fan, and in fact I don't really like mecha anime. My favourite mecha anime would probably be Magic Knight Rayearth, and that's about it.
Old 2008-01-26, 04:52   Link #18938
Kha
~ I Do ~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkellis View Post
To add on to this, I've mentioned before (early on in the thread's life; I think it's among my first posts in here, actually) that it would be best if the references are kept as independent as possible from the action. In other words, don't assume that your readers know what the reference is.

Spoiler for Warning: incoming rant.:

tl;dr: References should be references. Crossovers should be crossovers. Neither are bad, but the two are not the same thing.

As for the mecha-references thing, I'm not a mecha anime fan, and in fact I don't really like mecha anime. My favourite mecha anime would probably be Magic Knight Rayearth, and that's about it.

If you want to rip, make sure you explain every detail, such that a purely Nanohaverse fan can understand you.

For example: I notice SRW get referenced a lot here. The advantage of that is that their attacks have videos to back them up with, and quoting those videos in your character profiles helps people who think SRW stands for Something Really Weird will have a better grasp of the character.

Another example is how LoweGear builds his OCs. They are really really descriptive, such that you have a mental picture forming in your head without having to be a big fan of Jigoku Shoujo and the Gainax works that feature in his efforts.

Most of all, none of them require you to know the story of origin that the character was based from. People yell at me "COPYPASTAAAAA!!!" all the time , but I hope that every time that happened, be it during a short exchange between characters, the conflicts they face, or ever a wider premise as a whole, I stayed true to my above words.

No matter how unoriginal, no matter how mind-blowing, I want to bring you in and share with you my vision, the scene I play in my twisted mind. And to do that, I must make sure I's as descriptive as I can.

Something like that I believe.

EDIT:

~~~Several hours later...~~~

Is it me, or did Kotomi's violin recital kill the thread as well? (Am watching CLANNAD...)

EDIT2:

~~~Two hours later...~~~

*crickets*

It's too quiet here... Silence means... Time for some crack!

*sudden silence*

So... it was me all along huh...?

Last edited by Kha; 2008-01-26 at 10:07.
Old 2008-01-26, 11:16   Link #18939
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Well, while I’m working on stuff, here's THE MAN's profile.

I would like to credit TK for the original profile, which for the most part I've chosen to follow, save for a few things here and there which I've changed for story purposes and some other stuff to make his profile more relevant to the OFM. In the end, what has happened is that both TK and I have given our own twists and spin onto the charecter, refitting him into the Nanoverse, departing in a few places from Halo canon. Sort of.

But he's still the Master Chief. And he will kick ass most righteously.

Spoiler for John-117, Non Comissioned Officer of the Order:

The rest of the Armor, skills, etc will be posted later. Comments welcome.

I believe in miracles.

Last edited by Wild Goose; 2008-01-27 at 09:09.
Old 2008-01-26, 12:02   Link #18940
Liingo
Love Hina?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkellis View Post
Kha doesn't seem to have gotten that yet unfortunately.... his references are so deep that with a slight push they end up in the cross over department...

Anywho.. heading back to the new OC(Tigerclaws);

-Comments on each of the numbers as follows.
1) So basically just one of those things that I have to accept huh... Can't say that I like it much... but I'll let it through.

2) You do realise that there's nothing to suggest that SS is of that order of magnitude... You said 12 cartridges? Tell me exactly when that many cartdiges are ever loaded in sucession? I'd really like to know.
Nothing much to say on the accident issue..

4) Umm, ok sure. But you're building a tank/mech of all things in a magical girl show.. Yes, it might be the best option in terms of brute power and a slew of other things. THIS ISN'T MAGICAL GUNDAM GIRL NANOHA!!! Is it so hard to take Nanoha or one of the other members in the powerful cast list and create a character(s) that uses magic/other flashy abilities with the said reference character as the yardstick as to how powerful they are.

5) SS attacks are still over board. The level of the attack that they're going to use is going to be limitted by the rank that the pilot holds. The cartridges will only provide the power necessary for the attack. there's no indication that just because cartridges are used that they're going to be able to harness that much energy in the first place/ shape the energy into something that can be used as an attack.

Think of it this way, someone gives a civ(no training what so ever) a rifle and get's told to go shoot something (consistently). Even with a couple of magazines of ammo, it's going to be a long time before he get's anywhere near the target ( unless of course they get a lucky shot but that's another matter entirely).
Of course, in the hands of someone who knows what they're doing, it's not going to be as much of a problem.

Believe me, I'm as annoyed at all the crap that they've thrown in to the series as everyone else (limiters, stupid squad design, writers who don't have a clue what it it that they're writing about..) but you work with the limitations that you've been given. with what you're suggesting, even the mightest of bosses are going to get blown away before they're even capable of doing anything because it's going to have a bunch of redshirts pummel it with SS attacks as it appears on the horizon. Even if they somehow manage to get attacked, the armour that they're wearing is going to keep them safe long enough for them to return fire.

Look, the profile itself is fine, I can't be bothered spotting things in it at the moment. You say though that it's supposed to augment C ranks up to A ranks. YET you then give them a weapon that outperforms every known cannon character wh o fights at range in terms of damage, range and projectile speed..

Dogfighting mode is just a spam mode, which again is outperforming the canon characters which are for all intents and purposes the best of the best. Spam fire on the levels that you're proposing has never been seen, and the range of the auto homing deivces is also out there.

Next up if your artillery mode, which is just as ridiculous as the other modes. We;ve seen one character do this, ONE. She's an exception because of the plot.

The other abilities aren't helping your case at all.

We've seen the use of 'magical damage' Why would they suddenly switch over to physical damage?

So what we're left with is some random is a suit that has stupid levels of protection while boasting attacks from Nanoha and Hayate while also having the ability to move at Fate's sonic form speeds in addition to Vita's handy flashbang technique.

Yep, that's so not overpowered.

It's not personal or anything, but as it stands, this has no place what so ever in the Nanoha verse, at least not for another 10-20 years.. (both canon and RL..)

Start nerfing it. HEAVILY!

Done with it for now. Bleh, where's TK when you need him..

Goose: Nice job on the chief. Looks good from what I saw of it during my skim through. I'll read the last sections properly once I'm more awake..

Last edited by Liingo; 2008-01-26 at 19:07.
Closed Thread