AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-10-30, 22:52   Link #21
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

The Pretty Cure movie never felt so crowded. @_@
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-30, 22:55   Link #22
Midonin
Last Engage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
The Pretty Cure movie never felt so crowded. @_@
They have nowhere near 199 heroines yet.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-30, 23:54   Link #23
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
So what are supposed to be the generally agreed upon "good" Precure series that are supposed to be easiest for any random person to get into again?
Smile Precure, ep 23. You only need that one.
That's where I got my interest in Precure from.
Old 2012-10-31, 00:29   Link #24
gsilver

I got into the franchise with Heartcatch, which is still my favorite.
I like Suite and Splash Star quite a bit, also.

Though with Precure, there isn't much of an accepted "best to worst" ranking. You could easily find two people with exact opposite rankings of each season, (probably) excepting the sequel seasons. What I've seen of Max Heart and heard of GoGo suggests that they aren't as good as the ones they're based on.
Old 2012-10-31, 00:30   Link #25
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

HeartCatch is way to go for newbie.
Old 2012-10-31, 00:39   Link #26
ACTL_33

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsilver View Post
I got into the franchise with Heartcatch, which is still my favorite.
I like Suite and Splash Star quite a bit, also.

Though with Precure, there isn't much of an accepted "best to worst" ranking. You could easily find two people with exact opposite rankings of each season, (probably) excepting the sequel seasons. What I've seen of Max Heart and heard of GoGo suggests that they aren't as good as the ones they're based on.
Yeah, the HeartCatch Precure brought me into the phenomenon too. I loved it all the way; it's just that I was hoping when that season came to a close that it would have ended better. I'll spare the details.
ACTL_33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-31, 00:58   Link #27
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
HeartCatch is way to go for newbie.
I started with Futari wa, tho. I never watched any other Precure series after that.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-31, 02:59   Link #28
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell View Post
That's where I got my interest in Precure from.
I call hogwash on that one. You are just in it for the lolis you criminal.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-02, 11:26   Link #29
Malintex_Terek
Mahjong Triple Pro

When starting PreCure, you have to understand what the franchise is about.

It's schoolgirl drama + Dragonball Z style fights, with a magical backdrop. The main course of the show is the shoujo drama, so in that regard HeartCatch PreCure, Futari wa PreCure and Yes PreCure 5 are the best. HCPC and FWPC double by integrating the magical stuff with the drama, while in Yes 5 (outside of the mascots) the conflicts were mostly independent of the drama.

Fresh is under-rated, IMV...a lot of people called it bad, but it was very different from everything before HCPC, and is a solid show, albeit not on the godly level of Yes and HCPC. Maybe even with FWPC when FWPC's second season + Max Heart is taken into account.

Smile and Suite are bad, Suite because of storytelling problems and Smile because of an utter lack of story at all. There's a handful of good Smile episodes, like the recent character-focused ones, but we have to remember every episode in Yes was like that. Take away the shoujo drama, and Smile just becomes another moe show. It might be a good moe show, but that doesn't make it a good PreCure.

I love Smile's characters, although they're louder stereotypes than Yes 5's cast, but I can't wait to get away from this anime. The lack of any continuous drama/development isn't a good trade-off for the otaku shout-outs, occasional humour and moe. When I look back at HCPC and season 1 of FWPC, I remember an endearing anime. When I look back at Smile, I think of something I just watched to burn time.
Malintex_Terek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-02, 15:09   Link #30
Jao
panchi~

I think you're running a little too fast and loose with your definition of what makes a good Precure series. Most of Smile's problems were far more evident in Fresh, which had a tonne of its own. Fresh had a plot when it felt like it, with an arbitrarily vague countdown timer and Fresh's gimmick episods (And the long swathes of filler, because what else do you call it when you can't see the countdown counting down) were borderline insulting.

Yes, Smile has no story to speak of and no real character development to speak of. The fact that it manages to be a consistently funny show despite this is its best defense. It's a different kind of Precure. It still has what I would consider the heart of a Precure series, and if you gave it a different name and took the spats off, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't mistake it for anything else. I wouldn't want it two years in a row, but it's nice to have once.

Also I think someone here mentioned early in the Smile thread that to use the term 'moe' when describing Precure is pretty meaningless given its target demographic (And the fact Smile seems to be nailing its target demographic as well as the older fans). Slice of life would work better, or maybe just straight up comedy.

I'll definitely agree with you that Yes has the very best character development in the franchise, though I'd also call it the least Precure-y. So yeah.
Hiding behind tinted glasses and doors.
Jao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-02, 19:48   Link #31
Malintex_Terek
Mahjong Triple Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jao View Post
I think you're running a little too fast and loose with your definition of what makes a good Precure series. Most of Smile's problems were far more evident in Fresh, which had a tonne of its own. Fresh had a plot when it felt like it, with an arbitrarily vague countdown timer and Fresh's gimmick episods (And the long swathes of filler, because what else do you call it when you can't see the countdown counting down) were borderline insulting.
Fresh was weird, but what stuck with me was it had many ongoing internal storylines like Love's relationship with Setsuna, Miki's relationship with Chiffon, the girls learning to dance (and why dancing was important) from Miyuki and the boys' relationship with the girls. Those stories were slowly developed over the "filler" episodes, so even in seemingly random plots like with Audrey or the body-swapping, something contributed to these stories in small ways.

There wasn't filler in Smile's sense where stuff is invented for one episode, then never visited again. Think Akane's rivalry with Nao during the beach episode, it happened once out of nowhere and has been forgotten. Compare that to how Milk was utterly intolerant of Nozomi for most of Yes 5 but grew much more tolerant/supportive as time went on after tons of interactions and altercations.
Malintex_Terek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-03, 00:01   Link #32
gsilver

Fresh had some really out there episodes, like the one that makes the donut shop owner into some kind of superhero and another where it shows Miyuki with a danger room setup that would make the X-Men jealous... I can't say if they're never seen again, since I haven't finished the show, but they sure felt like they were pulled out of nowhere. It's nowhere near as bad of offender in this regard as Smile, but it isn't exactly free of it.

I agree on Suite having a lot of story problems, but Hummy really made the show for me... I can forgive a lot if there's a character I really like.

Speaking of... Yayoi seems laser-targeted at Otaku.
Old 2012-11-03, 00:02   Link #33
Midonin
Last Engage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsilver View Post
I consider myself proof that it's working.
Old 2012-11-03, 00:28   Link #34
Jao
panchi~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malintex_Terek View Post
Fresh was weird, but what stuck with me was it had many ongoing internal storylines like Love's relationship with Setsuna, Miki's relationship with Chiffon, the girls learning to dance (and why dancing was important) from Miyuki and the boys' relationship with the girls. Those stories were slowly developed over the "filler" episodes, so even in seemingly random plots like with Audrey or the body-swapping, something contributed to these stories in small ways.
I see where you're getting at, but really I think you could cut out ten to fifteen episodes of the latter half of Fresh and still have it work as a series. I remember in particular waiting for an age between Setsuna befriending Inori, and Miki finally properly accepting Setsuna for something to happen. This also might be a product of how I watched it. It's more than likely I'd be more irritated with Smile if I was marathoning it and I may have been more charitable towards Fresh if I watched it week by week.

Don't get me wrong though, Setsuna's developing relationship with Love is one of the real gems of the franchise and more than enough reason by itself to watch Fresh.

Quote:
There wasn't filler in Smile's sense where stuff is invented for one episode, then never visited again. Think Akane's rivalry with Nao during the beach episode, it happened once out of nowhere and has been forgotten.
I think I mentally blocked that one. It's the only episode I can remember really disliking, especially considering it came almost right after the mid-season sting of great episodes.

Quote:
But she's also very popular with the target demographic. I mean, you'd have to be blind to not see what Toei's doing here, but it's no more (And perhaps much less) negative than Nagisa, Nozomi, Miki, Itsuki and Hibiki's navels.

Also in regards to Yes, because I feel I need to explain myself further on this one, the aspect I wasn't so fond of was the romance angle. It really didn't help the Sailor Moon comparisons (Especially that GoGo movie) and it just seemed far less Precure-y because of that. Saying that, it's also my third favourite series after Splash Star and Heartcatch, and had FRIENDSHIP (Which to me is what Precure is all about) in spades too. Best character development and most shambolic plot.

So I guess what this boils down to is I'm saying I liked all the series, including Smile, but do agree that Doki Doki should be its own beast.
Hiding behind tinted glasses and doors.
Jao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-24, 02:16   Link #35
xizro345
King's Justice

Not sure if really legit, but Yaraon! had this article on Doki Doki Precure, with some (very small) images:

http://yaraon.blog109.fc2.com/blog-entry-13059.html

There's also this image:

http://i.imgur.com/5XkKC.jpg

Of course it all may be completely false, for now.
xizro345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-24, 05:43   Link #36
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by xizro345 View Post
Not sure if really legit, but Yaraon! had this article on Doki Doki Precure, with some (very small) images:

http://yaraon.blog109.fc2.com/blog-entry-13059.html

There's also this image:

http://i.imgur.com/5XkKC.jpg

Of course it all may be completely false, for now.
The visuals strongly reminds me of Fresh! Precure.
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-24, 09:28   Link #37
jdennis007

So I am the only one who saw Smile as a sentai show with an all female cast?
jdennis007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-24, 10:11   Link #38
Midonin
Last Engage

This is how we found out about Smile - via a bag of some sort. So the odds that these are true are actually pretty likely. I'll wait for a slightly more detailed picture, though.
Old 2012-11-24, 11:15   Link #39
xizro345
King's Justice

There was a detailed description about the outfits as well, but I didn't bother to translate it until the info is confirmed.
xizro345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-24, 16:38   Link #40
Ichuki
┌(^o^)┘モリ!┌(^o^)┘モリ!

I wonder if the blue cure is going to be like Erika since it is interesting to see an another hot blooded blue cure.
Ichuki is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, magical girl