AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kimi ga Nozomu Eien

Notices

Old 2006-05-30, 23:34   Link #81
Decel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkCntry
One of Mitsuki's endings had an image of her lying in a bed reading Haruka's picture book to her own child. It didn't show Takayuki at all.

The reason that was left out was because it was part of Mitsuki's best ending path, something they didn't use much at all during the series. It would've also created issues during the latter portions of the series and wouldn't have made for the typical anime ending.
Ah, thanks for the info!
Old 2007-07-07, 01:00   Link #82
cf1709

Picture Book in Rumbling Hearts Ending

Can somebody tell me the things written in the picture book at the end of this series? The book that was read by Akane? It's very much appreciated!
cf1709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-07, 14:11   Link #83
DarkCntry
Blue Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by cf1709 View Post
Can somebody tell me the things written in the picture book at the end of this series? The book that was read by Akane? It's very much appreciated!
Check the question and answers sticky for my answer to you about this.
Old 2007-08-27, 19:36   Link #84
Shiori-chan

I just watched the serie today and at the end I really had twisted emotions. I am happy for Mitsuki, but I really felt sorry for haruka. I mean, ok she wrote her book and she said goodbye, but she was crying when she said goodbye so basically she really felt pain herself. Also the whole taking advantage of the situation thing of Mitsuki made me so mad although I can kinda understand that people can fall in love with people that have a girlfriend. The book Haruka wrote was also nice because basically it was like her lifestory and she hopes (like me) everybody can be friends again and live a happy life
Old 2007-08-28, 11:08   Link #85
Echoes

I was quite happy for Haruka. I had hoped she'd the be the one to end up with Takayuki, but she did manage to recover from a terribly traumatic event and get her life back on track. To be able to successfully write a book and have it published after that shows great character, and I'm sure she'll find someone to share her days with.

Things didn't turn out too bad for her, despite losing Takayuki.
Old 2007-09-07, 04:33   Link #86
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

The most interesting thing I've learnt from reading these threads on KGNE is that Western attitudes towards best friends and romance is subtly different from what I'm familiar with here in East Asia.

Most of the anger against Mitsuki seems to stem from the opinion that it is wrong to poach your best friend's boy/girl-friend. More specifically, that it is somehow wrong for Mitsuki to develop romantic feelings for Takayuki because he is supposed to be reserved for Haruka, her best friend.

I haven't noticed this strand of opinion before until I've watched other teenage romance anime, where the dubbed English dialogue differs very significantly from the Japanese original. Specifically, I'm thinking of a scene in Whisper of the Heart where a boy confessed that he liked the story's heroine. In Japanese, the girl felt awkward about the confession, and rejected the boy because she didn't have any romantic feelings for him. In English however, she rejected him because she knew her best friend liked the boy instead.

To be sure, I never quite understood the criticisms levelled at Mitsuki's supposed "betrayal". In my opinion, Mitsuki had behaved as best as she could have as a friend, given the circumstances, and it seems unfair to blame her for "poaching" Takayuki, when in truth, Haruka was already as good as dead at the time. How much longer was she supposed to wait?

As such, I wonder if Mitsuki has been indicted by a Western prejudice towards how such relationships should be handled. Culture plays a large role in how we approach our everyday affairs, and I wonder if it plays a role in understanding how events turned out in KGNE.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-07, 11:33   Link #87
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
The most interesting thing I've learnt from reading these threads on KGNE is that Western attitudes towards best friends and romance is subtly different from what I'm familiar with here in East Asia.

Most of the anger against Mitsuki seems to stem from the opinion that it is wrong to poach your best friend's boy/girl-friend. More specifically, that it is somehow wrong for Mitsuki to develop romantic feelings for Takayuki because he is supposed to be reserved for Haruka, her best friend.

I haven't noticed this strand of opinion before until I've watched other teenage romance anime, where the dubbed English dialogue differs very significantly from the Japanese original. Specifically, I'm thinking of a scene in Whisper of the Heart where a boy confessed that he liked the story's heroine. In Japanese, the girl felt awkward about the confession, and rejected the boy because she didn't have any romantic feelings for him. In English however, she rejected him because she knew her best friend liked the boy instead.

To be sure, I never quite understood the criticisms levelled at Mitsuki's supposed "betrayal". In my opinion, Mitsuki had behaved as best as she could have as a friend, given the circumstances, and it seems unfair to blame her for "poaching" Takayuki, when in truth, Haruka was already as good as dead at the time. How much longer was she supposed to wait?

As such, I wonder if Mitsuki has been indicted by a Western prejudice towards how such relationships should be handled. Culture plays a large role in how we approach our everyday affairs, and I wonder if it plays a role in understanding how events turned out in KGNE.
Thanks much for the interpretation TinyRedLeaf. It is true that friends here are very "loyal" to one another. If your friend is dating someone, you don't touch him/her. If your friend has a sister, you don't touch her. We also don't really have this "I love you and only you" thinking here, and we move on quite easily. That's why many people felt angry with Mitsuki because like you said, we think that Mitsuki betrayed her best friend.

What do I think? I did not interpreted it as betrayal. Even for American standards, let's think about this from Mitsuki's perspective. Your best friend is still dating the guy you like, but she's in a coma without any signs of when she will wake up. Meanwhile the guy is depressed and is also one of your good friends. Nothing you do can cheer him up, so as a last resort....

In the end I'd rather be called someone who betrayed his/her best friend than let one of my close friends commit suicide out of depression. The cost is to lose your best friend, but time here is a factor. If she wants to be lovesick for all three years (and maybe longer, who knows?) so that she can retain her best friend and support their relationship, then that's good for her. In reality I don't imagine myself or most people doing that. What Mitsuki did might have been selfish, but it's not unreasonable. She doesn't know when Haruka will wake up or if Takayuki will do something stupid (like have a high fever and die). I think that alone can justify her actions, and the ending says it all.

This anime is one of the first romance/drama with some traces of reality in it:
  • If someone's been in a coma for three years and you like someone else, then you'll probably stick to that someone else. We all want an emotional "I'll wait for you forever" from Takayuki but that's too cliche. In reality, your feelings lessen the longer you're away from said person, and Haruka's parents specifically told him to not visit Haruka anymore.
  • Also, this is one of the first anime that doesn't feature childhood promises, first love is last love, and first date is only marriage. Reality is much more painful than that, and while some people in America do marry their high school partners, chances are they're not first loves and the majority of people don't. In my eyes what is shown here is more real than most romance/drama I've watched before.
  • Finally, it shows the ability of moving on. For both Takayuki and Haruka, they both moved on in their own ways. Of course Takayuki was depressed at first by the accident; he soon realizes that it's not the way to go. Haruka also realizes that she's been chasing the Takayuki three years ago when she woke up, and shows no resentment in letting him go. She went through her rehabilitation and became a successful writer.

People who think that Takayuki is an asshole, do you really want him to be depressed some more until Haruka wakes up? What do you think could have happened to him if Mitsuki didn't step in? There's a time for grief and a time for moving on. What if Takayuki didn't date Mitsuki but another girl? Would you guys hate him still? Let's just put Mitsuki out of the argument and focus on Takayuki and Haruka. You guys really agree that Takayuki should beat himself up for all three years waiting for Haruka to wake up?

My personal thoughts on the anime:
Person I wanted Takayuki to end up with: Haruka
Favorite character: Akane
Least favorite character: Ayu (She's not funny, just annoying IMO. Comic relief is good, but too much in a serious drama can be out of place)
Least favorite aspect: Hotaru (the young nurse)...what happened to her? I'm sure there's a good explanation in the game but nothing in the anime
Ranking on Top Ten List: #1

Last edited by KholdStare; 2007-09-08 at 00:26. Reason: Typo
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-07, 16:08   Link #88
lackofcheese

I've just finished watching the series, and this is my first post here, but the moment I came on I encountered all this tendency of people to obsess over Haruka while hating Mitsuki, and sometimes Takayuki too. I can't say that's something I appreciate.

And so, the first thing I'm going to say is, beatiful post, KholdStare.
And going back to the first few pages, Perishthethought has some brilliant ones too.

When Mitsuki got together with Takayuki, no-one had any idea when, or even *if*, Haruka would wake up... Despite that, Mitsuki spent almost a year looking after Takayuki, getting nothing in return.. Surely that is demonstration of her worth?

As for Takayuki himself, well, he spent a year by Haruka's side before he was kicked out by her parents. That's an entire year of his life, down the drain. That devotion is worthy of great credit, surely you can't ask for more?

When Haruka woke up, a couple of things were made pretty clear:-
1) She needed Takayuki to aid her recovery.
2) She wasn't in any condition to handle the truth.

As a result, Takayuki tried to help her recovery, and at the time she thought she was still in a relationship with him, making things very difficult. Had Takayuki been forced to choose, isn't it clear that he couldn't have chosen Mitsuki for fear of doing great damage to Haruka's psyche? His hands were tied.

Of course, at this time we realise Mitsuki can't handle Takayuki giving his attention to Haruka also. Takayuki tries to stop seeing Haruka for Mitsuki's sake, but he can't give up his duty for fear of what might happen to Haruka. Now we see just how weak Mitsuki really is - she goes into a depressive spiral. Even then, however, we see that she still has it in her to come back and look after Takayuki. Not only that, but she even managed to confess what she did, and dump Takayuki. At this point, you really have to give credit to Mitsuki for being able to do that. She proves to us that she isn't as weak as she seemed just before. An even greater moment for her is when she goes to see Haruka, and denies her feelings for Takayuki, all for Haruka's sake.

As for Haruka, she has finally reached a moment where she can handle the truth. I must say that it is at this point, and only this point, that Takayuki is really free to make a choice for himself. His obligation to Haruka when she was still trapped in the past was far too great. It is here that we see Haruka's own strength, when she pushes herself into recovery, although we can see that she is doing it for Takayuki.

Then we come to the final episode, which begins with the greatest moment for both Haruka and Takayuki.

Takayuki comes out with it and admits to Haruka just what Mitsuki means to him, and how he regrets making her suffer. I guess we can call this Takayuki's final choice, if there is anything at all we can add that label to - the choice was really made for him.

As for Haruka, she manages to let go of Takayuki, and she's doing it for his sake, and Mitsuki's too - it's clear she does still really love him. In part, she's returning the favour Mitsuki tried to do her, with interest. However, the main part is probably that Haruka realises that it's really Mitsuki that Takayuki wants to be with.

In the end, then we see that Haruka was truly stronger than Mitsuki - she even returned to a proper life, and may even have rejoined her friends. While it does seem that Mitsuki could manage on her own too, we don't see real proof.

As such, I think the ending worked out best for everyone - Haruka was more able to handle leaving Takayuki than Mitsuki was, after all. It was certainly the closest thing to a happy ending that could've happened.

Last edited by lackofcheese; 2007-09-07 at 18:17.
lackofcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-09, 02:29   Link #89
Omfgbbqwtf

Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
Least favorite aspect: Hotaru (the young nurse)...what happened to her? I'm sure there's a good explanation in the game but nothing in the anime
I believe it is implied that she died due to her bad heath. It was explained in.. I think episode 11 that she quitted her job as a nurse due to her health and have to receive medical treatments. In the last episode, the older nurse said "Amakawa must be happy as well" (or something along the line) when Haruka finally gets out of the hospital. It is kind of vague, but that is what I think happened to her.
Omfgbbqwtf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-10, 14:59   Link #90
Sinful
Weirdo in the Bush!!

@lackofcheese thanx, now youve brought up all of that i feel like i did when i watched the thing. Its a great anime but it hits hard and close to home in certain situations which cant help but bring up emotions. I cannot think of anyone who could watch this series and be emotionally unscaved. As all good TV when you start routing for fictional characters.

However, i wouldve liked to see Haruka put up even a little fight for Takayuki. I understand that she liked him but was being a good friend. BUT feelings dont just go away, especially if your in a coma for a few years and wake up believing its been less than a month. The angle this series took was very realistic and i believe that the character acted as most people would put in that position.
Personally i was a Haruka fan. I wouldve liked a Haruka ending. I saw the book reading ending and it had me feeling that i had my heart ripped out but i felt Haruka shouldve done something. If i had to put myself in that position. I understand friends mean alot but love in my opinion is something to fight for, love grows over time as it does fade.

The end where she was under the tree. hmmmm. I always interpeted it as her going there and looking back on her memories. Memories of them all enjoying themselves together. Saying something like even though she lost Takayuki and Mitsuki she will always have the memories of the time they spent together.

I believe she still lives in that world which brightens my day up , Because when we grow up we slowly begin to lose the pure happiness that we experience as a child. I think that would be acceptable as an ending lol
(P.s please dont destroy my dreams, its taken 2 years of therapy to undo the damage this anime caused)

have fun with my babbling and interpretations
Sinful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-17, 18:16   Link #91
U<3Anime
Boo!

Just finished watching this anime and i know I'm a few years late into joining any discussions lol. Personally, I didn't find this show all that sad at all. I don't get why people would cry over the ending either. Sure there are a few sad parts, but not enough for me to cry. I can see why some people are upset if they are favoring Haruka. While, myself has been remaining pretty neutral for the whole show. Realistically, Takayuki made the right choice for choosing Mitsuki. Since, Mitsuki has spent 3 years taking care of him like, getting his life back on track after the accident. On the other hand, Takayuki only dated Haruka for only like a few weeks, so it's doubtful a few weeks of love can>3 years of love. I think the ending is a happy ending, since everyone got what they wanted. Haruka gets to publish her books, Mitsuki ends up back with Takayuki, Shinji continues to date his girl and etc... Everything is resolved and back to normal. Tell me why some of you people think it's sad cause i just don't get it. >__< Maybe it would work on me if the show was strongly focused on Haruka. I also felt something was missing, I think it could be because the show was too short, but i also know it could be extremely boring when these types of show drag on.
Old 2007-12-08, 21:46   Link #92
Kristen
*Author

I finished watching this series today. This was probably the second saddest series I have ever seen (Losing only to Kanon). The artwork was fair, but the storyline more than made up for it.

But I have to agree with Mitsuki. She looked much better with short hair than with long hair.
I'm just surprised Haruka's parents let her hair grow so long if it could have been a trigger to her realization of the 3 years.
Old 2007-12-13, 14:03   Link #93
idofgrahf

Send a message via MSN to idofgrahf
Quote:
Originally Posted by U<3Anime View Post
Just finished watching this anime and i know I'm a few years late into joining any discussions lol. Personally, I didn't find this show all that sad at all. I don't get why people would cry over the ending either. Sure there are a few sad parts, but not enough for me to cry. I can see why some people are upset if they are favoring Haruka. While, myself has been remaining pretty neutral for the whole show. Realistically, Takayuki made the right choice for choosing Mitsuki. Since, Mitsuki has spent 3 years taking care of him like, getting his life back on track after the accident. On the other hand, Takayuki only dated Haruka for only like a few weeks, so it's doubtful a few weeks of love can>3 years of love. I think the ending is a happy ending, since everyone got what they wanted. Haruka gets to publish her books, Mitsuki ends up back with Takayuki, Shinji continues to date his girl and etc... Everything is resolved and back to normal. Tell me why some of you people think it's sad cause i just don't get it. >__< Maybe it would work on me if the show was strongly focused on Haruka. I also felt something was missing, I think it could be because the show was too short, but i also know it could be extremely boring when these types of show drag on.
While I personally didn't find it that sad, I guess others find it so because of the up's and downs the characters had to go through to get to the "happy ending". Then there are those who like Haruka better hence don't like the ending. Some would say that because Haruka didn't do anything wrong but was put into a coma for three years, that makes it sad etc. Personally, these to me, are just the up's and downs of life, which is the reason I like the show, its easier to relate to then say Gundam.

Lacan/Grahf
idofgrahf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-13, 18:14   Link #94
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by U<3Anime View Post
It was more touching rather than sad for me. Emotional to see how everything resolved the way they did after what seems like a long journey to hell and back. The ups and downs, the memories, the experiences they all been through finished on a happy, emotional note where everyone found their resolve. And the sense having to say goodbye cause I loved the series

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-13, 22:01   Link #95
idofgrahf

Quote:
People who think that Takayuki is an asshole, do you really want him to be depressed some more until Haruka wakes up? What do you think could have happened to him if Mitsuki didn't step in? There's a time for grief and a time for moving on. What if Takayuki didn't date Mitsuki but another girl? Would you guys hate him still? Let's just put Mitsuki out of the argument and focus on Takayuki and Haruka. You guys really agree that Takayuki should beat himself up for all three years waiting for Haruka to wake up?
Actually I thought Takayuki as an ass not because he choose Mitsuki but because it took him that long to decide to choose Mitsuki, although I agree with his decision I can't say I like how long it took him.

as for Hotaru, you will need to play the game to find out

Spoiler:

Lacan/Grahf
Old 2007-12-13, 23:50   Link #96
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Quote:
Originally Posted by idofgrahf View Post
Actually I thought Takayuki as an ass not because he choose Mitsuki but because it took him that long to decide to choose Mitsuki, although I agree with his decision I can't say I like how long it took him.
Hm, what do you mean by that? Did you want him to wait longer or move on earlier? I personally wanted him to move on earlier but remember that his girlfriend didn't just get into an accident, he blames himself for her accident. I can understand him being depressed for 3 years.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-14, 22:01   Link #97
idofgrahf

Quote:
Hm, what do you mean by that? Did you want him to wait longer or move on earlier? I personally wanted him to move on earlier but remember that his girlfriend didn't just get into an accident, he blames himself for her accident. I can understand him being depressed for 3 years.
I meant that he was an ass because he took too long to move on, 3 years? if a person don't wake up from a coma in a few month the chances of him/her waking up drops dramatically. As a consquence of his inaction/niceness (take you pick) he made Mitsuki and to an extent Haruka suffer more then they already are (as if they aren't suffering enough already)

Lacan/Grahf
Old 2007-12-15, 15:53   Link #98
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Excuse me, an ass because it was hard for him to move on ? I would much sooner call him an ass if it was easy for him to move on. Emotional attachment to some person (love +guilt issues over the accident) don't go away with a snap of fingers and simply saying "oh well, its unlikely she will wake up anyway", unless the bond they shared was very superficial ...which it wasn't. It doesn't make him an ass because of his attachment to this situation - it makes him human. It might be easy for an outsider to say "just drop it and go away", but for someone emotionally entangled in such situation it is not a possibility, and calling him an ass because of it is a needless and undeserved insult in his direction.
Old 2007-12-16, 03:54   Link #99
holyman282
Snape: "I hate Potter!"

lol gotta agree with Skyfall, in that situation, you can't expect that person to think logically. I can see where you are going with the coma thing but it's not always an easy thing to accept.

Also reguarding Takayuki being an ass, well which sentence do think sounds worse:

1. Oh no! Haruka is in a coma and unlikely to wake up, I think i'll go hook up with her best friend the day after.
2. Noooo my girlfriend is in a coma and I feel responsible. I don't think i'm ready for another relationship soon because I loved her and there is a chance she might wake up. (crawls to a corner and becomes a mess)

I'll let you decide ( I personally go for number 2 as a better and more human response in that situation).
Old 2007-12-22, 03:27   Link #100
Altima of the Gates
Casting a spell on you...
*Graphic Designer

Location: Where there are no mallets or tentacles.... and the female cast of Tenjou Tenge is mine, all mine!
Send a message via AIM to Altima of the Gates Send a message via MSN to Altima of the Gates Send a message via Yahoo to Altima of the Gates
I can't really call him an ass either.

Though what really got to me was that Takayuki didn't have any other real support from anyone during the emotional ordeal after the car crash, which would conveniently make Mitsuki = total emotional confidant. While this is well and good, all I'm wondering is why they didn't get him some trauma counseling or at least reassured him of his inability to prevent said event? I dunno, there was pretty much an environment set up so that his ONLY outlet for human comfort was Mitsuki. People gave up on him? My how convenient. Mitsuki = only source of comfort? Again way too convenient. (although I'm not faulting her for being there for a friend.) The only person willing to whether the storm with him JUST HAPPENS to be the girl who totally has the hots for him and whose rival is K.O. 'ed for a good long while.

Also, even in the beginning, I have to admit it was only a few weeks prior to the accident that Takayuki was even sparking an ember of true love for Haruka. If anyone thought she had even a small chance after she woke up from her coma, they'd be a bit delusional. In the end of the show however, I just wished they would have had a normal friendship, with an understandable grace period after this drama subsided. As a Haruka fan, that was something I truly wished for.

If anything left me sour, it was that this game of love was a bit too one sided.
Haruka had lost even before she had begun to play unfortunately.
Something I've realized after a lot of thinking on this show, is that after the accident it was almost all paint by numbers.

But still, I did enjoy the ride it gave me.
Altima of the Gates is offline   Reply With Quote