Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Science & Technology

Notices

Old 2010-09-15, 05:44   Link #141
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
How do AI's not understand these experiences? They themselves were manufactured.

One could answer the OP Title in this way:

Yes, it is possible. Humans are evidently existing now, therefore, in a way, we are all "manufactured".
Well, for one thing, we haven't yet created Artificial Intelligence that's actually sentient. That is, self-aware and able to learna nd form dynamic relationships and understanding of the world. Right now even the best AI are purely input-outut based... they don't have any creativity as we see it. We can't even have a real conversation (yet). So we can't ask them what they think of it when they wouldn't give us an answer that we'd know for sure was "real".

And yes, we're all technically manufactured by the natural reproduction process, but that's not the topic of the thread. Let's not split hairs here, people. When we say "manufactured humans", we're talking about humans that are not borne from a man and/or a women, nor are we talking about clones. We're talking about something like The Windup Girl. You might even go so far as to say something like the Terminator is a manufactured human (in concept - he'd technically be an AI). It would be either a purely test-tube baby (genetics artificially generated, no direct donation of genetic material from two distinct "parents") or something like Maximum Ride, different enough genetically from humans to be classified as a different species or subspecies.
Old 2010-09-15, 09:00   Link #142
Tom Bombadil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
In the context of manufacture, then, you're just referring to the old tried and true method of sexual reproduction, which I don't believe is what the initial poster was referring to.
Well, that's the point, actually. Because unless the poster was talking about building chips in our brains, Wolverine style stuff, or clone wars, I don't see the point. My point was, new humans can be born rather quickly, our brains can be washed to believe whatever. So as someone else said, in a sense, we are being manufactured.

Don't mind me; I am just being cynical.
Old 2010-09-15, 10:07   Link #143
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mute View Post
It's kinda scary. You'd be defying God. (If you're a believer that is)
Not really. God said for us to go forth, be fruitful and multiply and fill the Earth. There's no word in there about creating humans in a different manner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
Well, that's the point, actually. Because unless the poster was talking about building chips in our brains, Wolverine style stuff, or clone wars, I don't see the point. My point was, new humans can be born rather quickly, our brains can be washed to believe whatever. So as someone else said, in a sense, we are being manufactured.

Don't mind me; I am just being cynical.
No, you pretty much have it right, which was the reason for my first post. We humans breed rather quickly, and there are almost too many of us now. So we'd have to establish *why* we'd want to manufacture humans. It can't be for workers, because we have enough of them now.

I suppose, if we were tinkering with our DNA to breed stronger humans, superhumans as it were. But if sci-fi has anything to say about it, that won't end well, heh. I remember the Neosapiens from Exo-Squad as an example. Essentially, if we do breed better humans, we'd better treat them as humans with all the rights thereof. But we already have enough problems trying to get people of different races to get along....
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-15, 11:15   Link #144
thevil1
Adventure ∀logger

Send a message via AIM to thevil1
I'm against cloning anything, but I don't consider that "manufacturing" since that living thing in question was still born from another living thing. If anyone doesn't know the process of cloning, they take the DNA and grow it to a certain point then place it inside a female animal to be born.
What I would consider to be "manufacturing" is getting parts, and building it from those parts, and having it's personality and cognitive ability placed or uploaded into itself. It is not grown from virtually nothing like a human or animal.
I don't know how well I explained it, if anyone want's it again in different words just say so.