AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

View Poll Results: Lucky Star - Episode 21 Rating
Perfect 10 88 62.41%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 37 26.24%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 9 6.38%
7 out of 10 : Good 4 2.84%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 1.42%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.71%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-08-27, 23:20   Link #61
Cloudkiller1
Spina~

Oh my god.. Lucky Channel was made of win!!!

I have to say this Lucky Channel was the best one over all. I have a strange feeling that Shirashi will become one of my most loved character of all time.. I wonder what will happen to him in the next episode..
Old 2007-08-27, 23:29   Link #62
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
I started off feeling that this episode was somewhat mediocre. In the first half of the episode, the pacing (I sound like a broken record on this, I know) was worse than usual, and it seemed to meander without any themes or strong skits to carry up the more random pieces. It also felt a bit jarring when they crossed the line to including blatant Yui fanservice. I mean... it's not like I can complain about Yui fanservice, but it somehow also feels so wrong. Just like tuna fish and ice cream, lady-images and Lucky Star are two great flavors that don't go together.

The second half of the episode picked up, though. Having some continuity made the pacing itself and slow pieces much more palatable, and I enjoyed the jokes a bit more (for some reason, Shiraishi cracking up at the guide's jokes made me crack up!). Though I think the joke timing went from choppy to almost glossed over, the soothing pace made it acceptable. I did feel that there was a bit too much focus on references over character pieces, but scenes like Tsukasa's deer-trampling more than made up for it. It was chock-full of general culture and sub-culture references, too--enough so to humble me for not recognizing them.

Throughout the second half, though, and especially during Kagami's "focus time" (who didn't figure it would end that way?), I felt just like I did during the more dramatic "Hiiragi sisters drama" scene a couple of episodes back. Though Lucky Star has the potential to tug at heartstrings, it has not worked to build that rapport with the audience. The show works fine without that element, and it could also work well with it, but in my opinion their attempt to ignore it and then spring scenes like this on us just amount to failure. I just feel a bit sad when I think about how it could have been if they'd developed the show to have that dramatic impact.

So just when I was thinking it was an enjoyable, if not high on the relative scale, episode and I was making plans to come here to hopefully find some description of the references, something awesome occurred.

Count me in with every one who thinks that this Lucky Channel is one of the new seven wonders of the world! THAT. WAS. AMAZING. I have never been so satisfied in my life! I don't have words for it. I just have no earthly idea how they're going to top it now. Where do they go from here?!

And if that weren't enough, the end song kept me chuckling and the episode preview made me laugh out loud again until I lost my breath (as I imagine it would for any AIR fan).

Overall, it was good.

A side note: Ono's gesture at 21:11 immediately brought to mind a scene in a particular Haruhi episode (I want to say episode 0), in which Itsuki makes a similar gesture in reference to what I believe was a character in a detective drama or mystery series. Unfortunately, I don't have my Haruhi episodes with me to find the scene, nor do I remember the name of the referenced series or character. Does any one have more of a clue than me?
Old 2007-08-27, 23:36   Link #63
Teiran
NPC
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steg View Post
I don't know what you all mean about Konata comforting Kagami, she seemed too involved in her Otaku buying spree to notice her, maybe I missed something...
Konata seems to know that something's up with Kagami in the last couple of scenes before the supposed confession. It's true that this probably got put on the back burner during the otaku spree, but Konata's tone during the phone conversation heavily implies to me that she took the group into the purikura booth for Kagami's benefit.

---

I knew something was different when I saw the third-years around the table after the episode title card: Miyuki was present for once. The subsequent sequences kind of shuffled her out, but I'd have been foolish not to expect that.

Kagami's dere-dere side proved ridiculously endearing again. Everyone's noted the bit with the letter; for further evidence, I cite the prominence of Konata's face in that one photo on Kagami's wall (before the cut to the purikura-enhanced fortune) as a true hallmark of their friendship. Like she'd ever put up anything that embarrassing, indeed. If there's anything KyoAni can bank upon in terms of material--leaving aside any mention of Haruhi, self-promotion, and the like--it's that viewers will eat up a dere-dere Kagami.

Kagamin for Saimoe 2007!

Shiraishi's apparent affinity for terrible puns amused me, as did his seating arrangement on the bus. This guy has continually displayed the perfect temperament for a sidekick, which made his boil-over that much better. Sure, LC was heading toward this inevitable conclusion from the very first bit of abuse that Shiraishi suffered at Akira's hands, but damned if it wasn't gratifying anyway. (Shiraishi for SaiGAR 2007?)

As much as I like Minami, and as much as I deserve to get skewered for this, I really did find her two-dimensional here. I'd be okay if she went an episode without lamenting her bust size.

---

Further thoughts from me would just end up as a rehash of Jaalin's episode summary at RC. To me, this episode is as true to form as the L*S anime gets. If Misao had said anything--anything at all--I'd probably have given it a 10.
Old 2007-08-27, 23:56   Link #64
Hazelshock
Touch the bread and die

I would say that was one of the best episodes in this series maybe the best, I would say that was the best Lucky Channel ever lol Shiraishi went insane lol
Old 2007-08-28, 00:01   Link #65
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teiran View Post
Sure, LC was heading toward this inevitable conclusion from the very first bit of abuse that Shiraishi suffered at Akira's hands, but damned if it wasn't gratifying anyway. (Shiraishi for SaiGAR 2007?)
---
HAHA! That's Cute, but no. Shirashai is a real person, I doubt he'd qualify, and even if did he wouldn't stand a chance against the likes of Kamina, Gai Shishioh, Master Asia and Gatts! Most of the candidates that gain entry are in a completely different league, no a completely different realm of Gar than Shirashai, and if you want my opinion, he isn't the slightest bit hot blooded. Ono would be a better candidate if he were allowed thanks to his roles in Koutetsushin Jeeg, and Kaze No Stigma. Yes, unless people were to organize behind him in a campaign he would get whomped.
Old 2007-08-28, 00:19   Link #66
Teiran
NPC
*Author

That was entirely tongue-in-cheek, but thanks for the clarification.
Old 2007-08-28, 00:56   Link #67
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Guerrand has released a v2 of the episode... haven't had a chance to see the original release so not sure what they might have changed.
Old 2007-08-28, 07:13   Link #68
Mitsu Aoi
Undine in the box T_T

Send a message via Yahoo to Mitsu Aoi
GSD Wallpaper Athrun and Kira I think....

Spoiler for Ohhh I cant Imagine her taste in anime:

Canned Tomato Soup and Avocado Flavored Noodles are her favorites.
Old 2007-08-28, 09:07   Link #69
Spitze

When I saw Shiraishi's ruggedness in this ep, I thought of Joe Odagiri. lawl.
Old 2007-08-28, 09:47   Link #70
Claymore_Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuusai View Post
A side note: Ono's gesture at 21:11 immediately brought to mind a scene in a particular Haruhi episode (I want to say episode 0), in which Itsuki makes a similar gesture in reference to what I believe was a character in a detective drama or mystery series. Unfortunately, I don't have my Haruhi episodes with me to find the scene, nor do I remember the name of the referenced series or character. Does any one have more of a clue than me?
I checked Haruhi ep 0, Itsuki actually makes a similar gesture at 13:35 while he is talking to Yuki and he says "naruhodo" ...
I can't recall the referenced series, still I hope that helps
Old 2007-08-28, 11:42   Link #71
Princess_of_Hell
Being Felt Up My Skirt

Send a message via AIM to Princess_of_Hell
Wow, that was a "GREAT" LUCKY CHANNEL.
Old 2007-08-28, 12:09   Link #72
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

The fact that we have Konata noticing what went on with Kagamin was rather cute --- together with the rather cute sticker of friends. That was a great display of friendship, i hope everyone noticed.

Also, best episode preview ever.

Ramen Set! <3
Old 2007-08-28, 12:12   Link #73
Jaden

Some of the references in Lucky Star always fly past me but this episode had very much of those! Was made up for by an equal lot of awseomeness, though.

Lucky Channel was the best part, Shiraishi is a beast!

Tsukasa getting owned by deer was the second best. Oh, and whoever thought of something indecent, raise your hands! o/

Can someone explain a few things though?

1) When the girls failed to lift the relic, did Konata say "I guess the dragon slayer (sword) weighs about this much" or "So this is as far as our dragon-slaying goes." Both are probably referencing the net RPG she plays.

2) When Konata was looking at Shiraishi chasing the bus, who did she reference / turn into? O.o

3) What was Konata trying to make Kagami buy?
Old 2007-08-28, 12:25   Link #74
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post

2) When Konata was looking at Shiraishi chasing the bus, who did she reference / turn into? O.o
Maetel from Galaxy Express 999.

Her name was even censored.

PS: You know you are fcking old when you can still remember her.
Old 2007-08-28, 12:37   Link #75
Princess_of_Hell
Being Felt Up My Skirt

Send a message via AIM to Princess_of_Hell
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Maetel from Galaxy Express 999.

Her name was even censored.

PS: You know you are fcking old when you can still remember her.
I knew it was Galaxy Express 999 and I'm not even old.

The only thing I couldn't figure out was her name.
Old 2007-08-28, 13:33   Link #76
Shana

^ Yeah.

I don't know if was the group who realeased the RAW, me, KyoAni or my monitor, but this episode has a awful image quality . Why? Becouse of Kona's hair and Hiiragi's house.

Spoiler for This is what I mean:

Oh anyways, I think I'm crazy~~
Old 2007-08-28, 13:51   Link #77
Omfgbbqwtf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Shana View Post
^ Yeah.

I don't know if was the group who realeased the RAW, me, KyoAni or my monitor, but this episode has a awful image quality . Why? Becouse of Kona's hair and Hiiragi's house.

Maybe they spent too much budget on the confession scene so they end up having crappy quality later on. I thought the house is always like that, but I don't have a picture from previous episodes to compare to..
Old 2007-08-28, 15:27   Link #78
Purple Kitsune

I watched Guerrand's sub, and i thought the image quality was just as great as it always has been.

Onto the episode now:

I really loved it! I dunno how many more times i can keep saying this: It's my fave episode!

I'm dreading the 24th episode.

Also, in response to the references and stuff; i have no idea what's a reference and what isn't because Lucky*Star (apart from the obvious Pokemon, Digimon and Monster Rancher) is the first ever anime i watched.
Old 2007-08-28, 16:02   Link #79
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Shana View Post
^ Yeah.

Ok the house can be explained away as possibly being intended to be a stylized still, but Konata's hair does indeed look a little pixelated. I can see it too. It's looks almost like a bad photoshop.
Old 2007-08-28, 16:11   Link #80
jaziek
Does an elope taste good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Kitsune View Post
I watched Guerrand's sub, and i thought the image quality was just as great as it always has been.

Onto the episode now:

I really loved it! I dunno how many more times i can keep saying this: It's my fave episode!

I'm dreading the 24th episode.

Also, in response to the references and stuff; i have no idea what's a reference and what isn't because Lucky*Star (apart from the obvious Pokemon, Digimon and Monster Rancher) is the first ever anime i watched.
talk about jumping in at the deep end Going from pokemon / digimon straight to LS is quite a jump