Closed Thread

Old 2004-05-12, 14:41   Link #321
maxthelostboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvenPath
Some people tend to forget that:
  • Anime is from JAPAN.
  • We are NOT Japanese.
  • Anime is NOT a right, it is a privilege.

then why do u download any fansub? it is just as bad as downloading a licensed 1 since all anime r licensed anyhows
Old 2004-05-12, 15:00   Link #322
Ash Masaki

Why god why? Funimation!? I think Im going to be sick...this is horrid news.
Old 2004-05-12, 15:03   Link #323
mirichan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suikun
I don't think there's anything wrong with feeling a bit uneasy or uncomfortable with the fact that a certain anime will end up getting a ton of exposure and thus end up being more popular. I feel the same way - that's my one and only concern about this whole Cartoon Network deal.

In the end, I really don't want to keep others from enjoying FMA or any other anime, and I want to see the anime industry grow - but at the same time, it is disheartening to see some of the things that were once our own for us to share with others being taken away. Does that really make all of us who are a tad uneasy about FMA becoming popular in the US nothing more than uptight elitists? I don't think so.
It does...

And very badly at that.

The show is FOR THE MASSES in Japan. Why should it be different in the USA?

Sorry to be rude... but get over yourself and your elitist attitude! The Japanese producers want people to buy their product so they can have more money to create MORE anime... Go read some of the posts posted previously. It explained it a lot better than I ever could!
Old 2004-05-12, 15:05   Link #324
mirichan

Mmm...

And reading the latest posts, I've come to the realization that this thread is now dead and only the whiners are here to bemoan the same points ad nauseam ...

Oh well... It was fun for a while! Ja!
Old 2004-05-12, 15:18   Link #325
otakreg
oXc

Send a message via AIM to otakreg
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirCanealot
And unless 4Kids gets Naruto (which I wouldn't say would never happen - allthough it'd need HEAVY editing in parts, so I doubt it), Naruto will also get a fine release with a sub track. The worst case imo would be Viz getting the anime and giving Kage Bunshin the old "Art of the Doppleganger" treatment. The worst I can see we'll really get is "Shadow Clone Technique" etc, and wtf is wrong with that? You're paranoid. "OMG TEH R1 COMPANIE COULD NEVER DO AS GOOD A JOB AS TEH L357 FANSUBBERXZ" - well get it clear. They WILL.

Or close enough anyway...
Yeah, I guess I'm pretty much saying "OMG TEH R1 COMPANIE COULD NEVER DO AS GOOD A JOB AS TEH L357 FANSUBBERXZ" because that's the way I feel. Some things should be left untranslated, such as endings like "-kun" and "-san" and jutsu like Kage Bunshin. The R1 will try to translate these and the sub will be less authentic. I'd prefer that the translator/subber actually tries to educate the viewer on the meaning of idiomatic words/phrases instead of trying to translate them and producing something that just sounds stupid like "Art of the Doppelganger."

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanditKing
Funny I heard thousands of people want it (Naruto) licensed instead.
I was sort of being sarcastic in that post I made about Naruto. I'm sure plenty of people would like to see it licensed, but personally I wouldn't, because I know it would get slaughtered in the translation, and probably wind up on TV heavily edited and poorly dubbed.

@ ElvenPath
I agree with Gold Rogers. Anime is a product and a form of entertainment, not some gift from the gods that is strictly meant for Japanese people.

And yeah, this thread was dead a long time ago. Everybody stop posting on the count of 3.
Old 2004-05-12, 15:22   Link #326
JubeiYamazaki

Send a message via AIM to JubeiYamazaki
Quote:
Does that really make all of us who are a tad uneasy about FMA becoming popular in the US nothing more than uptight elitists?
In a word, yes.

Its pretty hypocritical if you ask me, DBZ and Pokemon were hugely popular in Japan, but yet when its popular overhere, its wrong. Japan popularity = good, US popularity = bad mainstream sellouts.

Just because you liked it because it made you "different" is no excuse, and a lame one. You should of been attracted by the artists merit and work, not because of its mysterious appeal, anime isn't a date. I watched all of Blue Gender before it was played on Adult Swim and was really excited and happy it was on TV, whenever I see anime being brought here, I smile, because its a good thing, an artform I enjoy is slowly being accepted.

I love anime as much as the next person, I was watching/reading DBZ, YuuYu Hakusho and Blackjack years and years before the term was even a buzz word. I fell in love with RK when it first came out, and I was shocked and fustrated that it was coming to America under the name "Samurai X", I was 14ish at the time. Then as I grew up, and began getting into the comic industry. I realized its almost every comic artists dream to sell out. Plain and simple.

Hundreds and hundreds of people are complaining and complaining how FUNImation will destroy the show and it will be "tainted" by americanization. And saying how much of a travesty this is. If its really such a big deal, then wheres the mangaka? I don't see any statements of him being upset at all. Point is, if the creator has nothing to complain about, then neither do you.
Old 2004-05-12, 15:23   Link #327
Tenkoy
That is a secret.

Send a message via AIM to Tenkoy Send a message via MSN to Tenkoy Send a message via Yahoo to Tenkoy
Hey, I've been watching Tenchi GXP from Funimation and I don't see any problems with how they're doing it. I assume that FMA will probably get similar treatment. And as always, we'll always have the subtitles with Japanese audio.

I will be buying the dvds and hopefully the box if it comes with one. Please let the box be sturdy...
Old 2004-05-12, 15:28   Link #328
Just a subtitler ^_^

Quote:
If you want to read more into my opinions on this matter, here's Draft"0" of the essay I wrote:
http://www.williams1.homechoice.co.uk/AnimeFansubMorals(draft0).doc
Your analysis, though at least commendable in form, is fairly weak. There's no analysis (or even consideration) of people who would ordinarily buy anime but don't because of fansubs.

Indeed, there -are- people who are anime fans and yet are too poor to buy anything. Fansubs let these people watch anime. In the absence of fansubs, their only source for anime would be from free TV. You can't get any money from these people because they don't have any, so they're not really worth considering in this sort of discussion (inasmuch as they have yet to grow up and get jobs).

There are people who are casual fans and would not spend any money to get anime just because they don't care that much about it. They'll eat the free ice cream and move on when it runs out. Without fansubs, these people just catch whatever anime is on TV and otherwise ignore it. Again, not really worth considering for this argument.

There are a lot of fans that have never heard of fansubs, or haven't ever watched one, and who buy their anime. The presence or absence of fansubs doesn't really affect the discussion one way or the other except to note that, since a lot of these are dub fans, and dub fans are generally speaking the majority of people who buy anime, these -are- the majority of our actual customers. If you note that they're really not the majority of anime fans, then there's something preventing the rest of them from buying their anime, which bodes not well for your argument at all...

There -are- fans who watch fansubs and then go on to buy the DVDs. Some of these guys love the shows and want the highest quality, some of them are really morally principled folk, some of them are collectors, what have you. These guys don't buy every show they watch, nor do they buy every show coming out on the market (man, who can keep up with it all?), but the presence or absence of fansubs doesn't materially affect their buying decisions.

There are fans who make their buying decisions based on which shows they liked in fansubs (and that alone). If they haven't already seen it, they're not interested in buying it. In the absence of fansubs... what? Presumably they could figure out other ways to find what they like, but they have fansubs, so that's what they use. If a particular show isn't fansubbed, though, they miss it altogether (a lot of people never saw Princess Nine, for example, and later kicked themselves...)

There are fans who buy anime, but will watch fansubs as a replacement for buying anime. If they can see it for free, score; if they can't, they go out and get DVDs. For a lot of these people, fansubs let them displace their spending money into other hobbies, like video games or what have you; they could spend more money on anime, and wouldn't MIND spending more money on anime, but if they're watching fansubs all week long, why actually go buy anything?

Note that a lot of the "too poor" fans are actually in the latter category. It's not that they have no money - it's that they have a zero-cost alternative and plenty of other things to spend money on. (Can I sympathize? Well, it's not like -I- don't have plenty of other things to spend money on. Subtitling don't bring in big bucks, man...) The limited amount of money they have goes to places besides anime, even though they might buy anime with the money if they couldn't get it free.

There's also another group of people who want ALL the anime every season, right then. These are often people who would buy anime, except that they watched everything that's coming out well before, and now they're spending all their time watching this season's brand new shows as they come out, and when this season's brand new shows are coming out over here they'll be on to even newer shows. In the absence of fansubs, these guys would be normal anime fans... ;p

And, of course, there are the people who won't buy something they've seen, 'cause they've seen it. Doesn't take much brainpower to figure out what fansubs do to their buying habits...

Seriously, if you're going to look at the effects of fansubs on people's buying, you have to remember that in most cases that effect is to -keep them from buying-. The converse is possible, but much more uncommon, and ususally those people are gonna buy stuff -anyway- (in other words, the fansubs aren't actually helping with them, but they ARE still hurting with other people).
Old 2004-05-12, 16:00   Link #329
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
In the end, I really don't want to keep others from enjoying FMA or any other anime, and I want to see the anime industry grow - but at the same time, it is disheartening to see some of the things that were once our own for us to share with others being taken away. Does that really make all of us who are a tad uneasy about FMA becoming popular in the US nothing more than uptight elitists? I don't think so.
Okay this is the part that confuses me the most. It is a contradictory statement. On one hand you seem to acknowledge that an anime that is licensed in your country is good thing. Yet on the other, you are disheartened by the enjoyment taken away by an anime being licensed because it loosens the rapport of "knowing something a select few else does." But then again, part of that enjoyment is "making people 'getting into' anime."

Like I said before, are not those reasons very self-centered?
Old 2004-05-12, 16:02   Link #330
TechnoMage
Shoujo-Anime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by otakreg
Some things should be left untranslated, such as endings like "-kun" and "-san" and jutsu like Kage Bunshin. The R1 will try to translate these and the sub will be less authentic.
Note, this is not true all of the time. As an example, Pioneer/Geneon's R1 release of Ai Yori Aoshi keeps some of the honorifics in the subtitles, and even in the dub (This is even shown in the AYA prmo/preview found on many of their DVDs).

The policy of adding the Japanese honorifics to English released anime is still a very new one, as is with English manga releases (Unless I missed all previously released titles with it >.>), and like all new things, it does take time to become widely embrassed and implemented.

Just my 2 cents. >.>
Old 2004-05-12, 16:17   Link #331
Suikun

Quote:
Originally Posted by JubeiYamazaki
In a word, yes.

Its pretty hypocritical if you ask me, DBZ and Pokemon were hugely popular in Japan, but yet when its popular overhere, its wrong. Japan popularity = good, US popularity = bad mainstream sellouts.

Just because you liked it because it made you "different" is no excuse, and a lame one. You should of been attracted by the artists merit and work, not because of its mysterious appeal, anime isn't a date.
You're taking what I said almost too heavily - I repeated countless times that "part" of the appeal of anime is it's obscurity - meaning it's not the only thing I like about anime, merely a part of it. Obviously, the main attraction of FMA is the work itself and not it's "mysterious appeal" as you phrase it - but that doesn't mean I can't have perfectly valid concerns about it becoming popular here if it means it takes away just one of the portions of why I liked it. You're making it sound like the only reason I like anime is it's obscurity - re-read my post; that's clearly not the case.

Also, I don't like the way you phrased the first sentence there - never did I even mention that once something becomes popular in the US I consider it a "bad mainstream sellout" - I said more people of a very mainstream mindset end up getting into it, turning it from something obscure that I liked as an escape from the mainstream entertainment in the US into something that is the mainstream. The bottom line is that both the US distributors and the Japanese producers are in it for the dollar, and I have no problem with that.

Also, never did I mention anything about merchandising or the like, so where you got this idea that my problem lies with anime "selling out" is beyond me. In fact, the one thing I like about the popularity some shows enjoy in the US is that it means more for the original creators who, for something like Fullmetal Alchemist, fully deserve it.

As for your "Japanese popularity = good, US popularty = bad" statement - yes, that's largely where my problems lie - that is, only in US popularity. But ONLY because I live in the US; thus something that's popular and mainstream in Japan generally isn't popular and mainstream in America... hence where my entire argument begins... I guess I don't see the relevence of this point.

Quote:
I love anime as much as the next person, I was watching/reading DBZ, YuuYu Hakusho and Blackjack years and years before the term was even a buzz word. I fell in love with RK when it first came out, and I was shocked and fustrated that it was coming to America under the name "Samurai X", I was 14ish at the time. Then as I grew up, and began getting into the comic industry. I realized its almost every comic artists dream to sell out. Plain and simple.
Again, as I phrased above, I'm very happy about the creators for getting what they deserved. I have no problem with... or rather, I don't see at all how popularity in America makes the anime or it's creators or whoever a "mainstream sellout." So... null and void point here...

Quote:
Hundreds and hundreds of people are complaining and complaining how FUNImation will destroy the show and it will be "tainted" by americanization. And saying how much of a travesty this is. If its really such a big deal, then wheres the mangaka? I don't see any statements of him being upset at all. Point is, if the creator has nothing to complain about, then neither do you.
Once again, I never said ANYTHING about this - never did I meantion that Americanization was my problem. As long as the original is made available, I couldn't care less if they insert Linkin Park songs into the English dub of Fullmetal Alchemist - in the end, the dub isn't meant for me, and most of the time the general storyline is kept in-tact in the English dub so I don't care how others end up seeing it, either.

My only point was that I don't think it's fair that everyone jump down people's throats merely because we liked anime being something unique to us and not part of this country's mainstream culture - something that seperated us. You haven't given any relevent reasons to this argument alone. You said it's hypocritical to not care whether something is popular in Japan yet be concerned whether it is in America or not - how so?

We're all very distanced from Japan, and like I said earlier what's mainstream there is generally not mainstream here... thus the reason we like it. I guess, no matter how I phrase it, I don't see the hypocrisy like you do - whether it's popular in Japan or not doesn't seem to have any bearing on the argument, it just so happens that generally what's popular in Japan nobody's ever heard of over here. I'd have the same feelings if FMA were a huge bomb in Japan but enjoyed great success here - I'd still love FMA just as much and be just as concerned about it becoming "mainstream" over here. If I'm missing the point of this argument's relevence, let me know.

Again, I've got to say you seem to be blowing my thoughts out of proportion - you make it sound like I don't want the anime industry to thrive in the US, or for the creators to get their dues, etc. etc. when I specifically stated that not to be the case - that's why I'm so conflicted about this - I want it to do well but at the same time I truly miss it when something that was enjoyed by me and others like me as an escape from the mainstream actually becomes the mainstream.

Here's an example - when Inuyasha first started airing on Japanese TV, it gained a huge fanbase through fansubs, yet was still small enough of a fanbase that, occasionally, when I'd see someone wearing an Inuyasha T-shirt or making an Inuyasha reference, I'd get all excited because I'd realize that that person was into that same obscure thing that I was into. I don't know - it was just part of the greatness of being an Inuyasha fan.

But now, since Inuyasha's begun airing on CN, it's huge and lot's of people have Inuyasha T-shirts and it just... lost that certain specialty. I liked that - so sue me, I just don't think that automatically turns me into an uptight elitist.

As I said, I'm grateful it's become popular in the US for the creators' sake, and for the anime industry's sake; and in the end, Inuyasha is still everybit as enjoyable to watch as it was before it was licensed and I still love it to death - but a part (READ: a part) of what made it appealing is gone - I have the right to have concerns about it. It's not like I'm cursing and denouncing all things Inuyasha just because it's popular - I'm not at all. I just think it lost a tiny piece of what made it cool and I don't see how this makes me an elitist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
Okay this is the part that confuses me the most. It is a contradictory statement. On one hand you seem to acknowledge that an anime that is licensed in your country is good thing. Yet on the other, you are disheartened by the enjoyment taken away by an anime being licensed because it loosens the rapport of "knowing something a select few else does." But then again, part of that enjoyment is "making people 'getting into' anime."

Like I said before, are not those reasons very self-centered?
I never said that this wasn't a tad conflicting - if you think it's not possible to have conflicting feelings about something, then you must not have any feelings.

Geeze, all I said was that I don't think it makes everyone an elitist for having such concerns - now everyone is putting words into my mouth. READ MY POSTS - I've said nothing about not wanting others to enjoy this or for it to be specially reserved for me - I want others to enjoy it. It's just that it's obscurty was also part of it's charm - it's a conflicting feeling that I and many other fans have and because we have it doesn't give any of you the right to label us as elitist snobs!!!

Please, don't keep putting words into my mouth people. It's really annoying.

Last edited by Suikun; 2004-05-12 at 16:33.
Old 2004-05-12, 17:10   Link #332
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold_Ranger
I'd say you're wrong on the last count. Anime is neither a right nor a privilege. It is first and foremost a PRODUCT that companies try to market to CONSUMERS. Have you ever heard the phrase "The customer is king"? Companies want consumers' business, and it would be in their best interest to treat customers to the best quality service/products they can without raising costs too much, which will bring in more business.

Let's not kid ourselves that anime is some gift from heaven or some kind of privilege bestowed upon us by generous studios and production companies in Japan or distributors in the USA. The goal of any company is to make a buck.
Very reasonably. So let's adjust ElvenPath's statement a bit.
  • Japanese animation is from Japan for the Japanese people
This is pretty self explanitory, with few exceptions, all Japanese animations are originally produced for consumption in local and national markets specific to Japan. International markets are secondary, companies do not produce shows with the explicit intent of marketing them overseas. If it was the case that they did such things the mouth animations and ADR patterns would be made specific to the language of the country the product would be exported to. As this is not the case, one must assume the product is first intended for domestic markets over international ones.

I changed 'anime' to 'Japanese animation' since the word anime refers to all animations in gerenal. Technically speaking, the latest Disney movie can be called an anime. This isn't a major point, but symantics are fun to play with from time to time.
  • We are not Japanese
Unless you're kj1980 or one of the few other native Japanese citizens (currently living in Japan) who post on this board, there is no argument one can raise against this.
  • Japanese animations are niether a right nor privilege, but a product.
So now Japanese animations are products. With that in mind, you/we still do not have the right to view it for free. As with any other product or service the consumer, those of use who wish to use/view the product, must compentsate the proprietor of the product for the right to use/view it. Without compensating the proprietor of the product the act of using/viewing the product is simple theft regardless of the product's country of origin respective to the country you are currently residing in.

Quote:
I agree with Gold_Rogers. Anime is a product and a form of entertainment, not some gift from the gods that is strictly meant for Japanese people.
Aside fromputting words in Gold_Ranger's mouth, you misunderstood his statement. Gold_Ranger states that the companies that make Japanese animations are out to make a buck. This means they want to be paid for their works, not have them distributed freely without a cent or yen returning to them.

Unless you find entertainment in the simple pleasures of life such as watching the sunset or a firefly blink about during the night (both of which many people would consider a 'gift from the gods'), there is no form of mass entertainment that is free. You must remember that Japanese animations are firstly made for the Japanese people, then are imported to your country for your entertainment for a small fee on your behalf. Furthermore, as Japanese animations are made primarily to be viewed by Japanese people, with their cultural idioms and humor, it is, in a sense, made strictly for their viewing pleasure.
Old 2004-05-12, 17:12   Link #333
deadfish

Unhappy Where?

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Tight
pfffff no big deal, I already know a group which will continue to sub it

Can you tell me where to find it? I´m not in amerca, so it will take years to show here.
Old 2004-05-12, 17:17   Link #334
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

deadfish;

Read the below lines very carefully, then reconsider what you are asking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
No. Nobody who doesn't like being banned will post the name of a group that is going to continue to sub this show. That is against our rules and I intend to enforce it relentlessly. If you really want to know I am sure that you will eventually figure it out, it isn't really that hard if you know your way around, but we just aren't going to make it easy for you.
Old 2004-05-12, 18:02   Link #335
SirCanealot
What? I am washed up!

Send a message via MSN to SirCanealot
Quote:
Yeah, I guess I'm pretty much saying "OMG TEH R1 COMPANIE COULD NEVER DO AS GOOD A JOB AS TEH L357 FANSUBBERXZ" because that's the way I feel. Some things should be left untranslated, such as endings like "-kun" and "-san" and jutsu like Kage Bunshin. The R1 will try to translate these and the sub will be less authentic.
Yet again, you diss without knowledge.

Evidence suggests the R1 DVDs WILL have honorifics. Fruits Basket = full honorifics, including stuff like "Dog-san" which usely gets "Mr Dog" in fansubs. Good enough for you? I'm pretty sure the same applys for Kiddy Grade Allthough, who knows what FUNimation will do, apart from them. And whether or not stuff should be translated IS AN OPINION. Fansubs have different audiences after all. And wait, doesn't AOne/ANBU translate the jutsus in Naruto? Hmm? They did the last time I watched. Are your l33t0rxz fansubbers not to l33t0rxz now because they have different opinions on their sub work to you? And on honorifics anyway - who cares. Can't you HEAR and UNDERSTAND the honorifics? The only thing that pisses me off is stuff like "Little Yahiko" - I'm FORCED to read something very stupid before his name...

So stop claiming the fansubers will do a better job - when this is not so. Hey, if I go and start watching the FMA fansubs now - from Keep+ANBU - will you gaurente me perfect editing? I think not... I rarely see perfect editing from many groups, let alone Crustol's translations... so once again. Stop saying the fansubbers will do a better job than than FUNi. I've seen so many stupid lines out of stuff Crustol has worked on, it's not even funny. There were a few lines in Kiddy Grade for instance that simply didn't make any sense - they only made sense due to my good knowledge of English and some guesswork...

Infact. Let me ADD to this. Now I've just remebered something else l33t. FUNi = Original opening/ending with JAPANESE CREDITS or ENGLISH CREDITS - provided via alternate angle. They're one of the few companies to do this aren't they?
If it was ADV or Geneon, you'd get overlayed op/eds gaurentied!

We should be HAPPY that FUNi has FMA. I sure am! My only niggle is episode/disk counts. But let's just hope they're SMART about that!

AvatarADV: I don't understand your comments. It seems to me that I covered most of your comments IN my essay. And anyway, I forgot to mention, if someone can't download fansubs, they may well not buy the DVD, they will download DVD-Rips, which are VERY commen and easy to aquire if you know where to look.

And anyway, as I said, that work is not finished, and likely never will be
Old 2004-05-12, 19:05   Link #336
otakreg
oXc

Hmm, apparently things have changed a bit since the last time I bought an anime DVD. I own about 80 from various companies including Pioneer, Bandai, and ADV, and I've never noticed honorifics in them or in dubs. (Then again, I haven't watched a dub in a long time and have no intention to in the future.) Honorifics in R1 subs is definitely a step in the right direction.

And I never noticed Anbu/Aone translating a jutsu. I thought they usually had the Japanese name in the subs and a translation note on the top of the screen explaining what the name of the jutsu meant. (If R1 DVDs had some of these, then things would be real good.) But maybe they translate some of them, it could've slipped passed my watchful 1337 eye.
Old 2004-05-12, 19:07   Link #337
Griffith

Quote:
Hmm, apparently things have changed a bit since the last time I bought an anime DVD. I own about 80 from various companies including Pioneer, Bandai, and ADV, and I've never noticed honorifics in them or in dubs. (Then again, I haven't watched a dub in a long time and have no intention to in the future.) Honorifics in R1 subs is definitely a step in the right direction.

And I never noticed Anbu/Aone translating a jutsu. I thought they usually had the Japanese name in the subs and a translation note on the top of the screen explaining what the name of the jutsu meant. (If R1 DVDs had some of these, then things would be real good.) But maybe they translate some of them, it could've slipped passed my watchful 1337 eye.
They usually use the Japanese name of the jutsu the first time it appears in the show, then they'll translate it into English from then on. As for the matter of honorifics in DVD subtitles, I haven't seen any either. I must have not seen the shows that have them, I guess.
Old 2004-05-12, 19:55   Link #338
Just a subtitler ^_^

Quote:
AvatarADV: I don't understand your comments. It seems to me that I covered most of your comments IN my essay. And anyway, I forgot to mention, if someone can't download fansubs, they may well not buy the DVD, they will download DVD-Rips, which are VERY commen and easy to aquire if you know where to look.
If your best argument in favor of fansubs is that people who want to bootleg something will bootleg it anyway, you've essentially ceded the field. ;p

Seriously, your essay just flat out doesn't mention people who could buy anime, who have the money, who have it available, who like anime, who want to watch anime, who WOULD buy anime... yet don't because they saw it already. That's not a "most" comment - that's essentially the big kicker. Your essay makes it seem that there aren't people who don't buy anime because they have seen fansubs, and that's -just not true-. Heck, among a certain class of fansub viewers are groups who feel that it would be stupid to actually spend money on anime, because they can get so much of it for free! You can't possibly be unaware of these people or their sentiments, as some of them posted in this very thread.

I'm not denying that there are people who might not have picked up a given show, but watched a bit of it and changed their mind. But that's not as common of an effect as somebody who watches all of a show and then goes on to watch all of another show and another ad nauseam... or who comes onto a forum and complains when the show gets licensed, or says "well, I'll just bootleg it". C'mon, man, you've been reading the thread.

And like I've said (more than once) to the people who feel that they are special because they like something that isn't common knowledge and now feel that is being taken away from them... please, get over yourselves. If you want to find something obscure to take pleasure in, find something OBSCURE! Don't pretend that a new anime series is going to stay your little niche fandom, because your show -is- gonna get licensed and you -will- have to put up with other people liking your fandom. Maybe you would do better with rock collecting or obscure English literature of the 19th century as a hobby - these are things that are unlikely to suddenly become popular on you. But don't believe that because you bootlegged an anime series before it comes out over here, that you've obtained some special l337ness; you haven't, man.
Old 2004-05-12, 20:09   Link #339
otakreg
oXc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffith
They usually use the Japanese name of the jutsu the first time it appears in the show, then they'll translate it into English from then on. As for the matter of honorifics in DVD subtitles, I haven't seen any either. I must have not seen the shows that have them, I guess.
I think it should be the other way around. Show the translation once, then keep it in Japanese once we all know what it means.

@AvatarADV
You've been discussing a lot of groups mentioned in SirCanealot's essay. How about those of us who buy what little anime we can afford (supporting the industry as much as we can) but want to see more? Are we just being selfish? (I'm just looking for your opinion.)
Old 2004-05-12, 20:16   Link #340
Griffith

Quote:
I think it should be the other way around. Show the translation once, then keep it in Japanese once we all know what it means.

@AvatarADV
You've been discussing a lot of groups mentioned in SirCanealot's essay. How about those of us who buy what little anime we can afford (supporting the industry as much as we can) but want to see more? Are we just being selfish? (I'm just looking for your opinion.)
Yeah, I'd prefer that they use the Japanese wording of the jutsus once they translate them the first time, but they don't for the most part. It doesn't really matter though I guess.
Closed Thread