AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2013-02-27, 02:40   Link #41
kyp275
Meh

Heh, that's the first negative review I've seen for the game, and I have to say, a lot of the guy's complaints are... well, petty. Seems like he's forgotten that this is still a game, I mean, what does he expect? 10 hours of Lara moping around being emo while she comes to term with having to kill people?
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-27, 03:52   Link #42
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
Heh, that's the first negative review I've seen for the game, and I have to say, a lot of the guy's complaints are... well, petty. Seems like he's forgotten that this is still a game, I mean, what does he expect? 10 hours of Lara moping around being emo while she comes to term with having to kill people?
The would be the French extended version of the game in select theaters

I just bought Brutal Legend for $15 ... if I'd paid console prices I'd be pissed but for $15 I'm having fun with all the metal rock goofiness.
Old 2013-02-27, 08:05   Link #43
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I figured on waiting for a sale anyway ... a game that might be mediocre for $60 might be a wonderful investment for $40 later. Sounds like they could have spent more time looking at Skyrim or Borderlands and less time with the old 2D scrollers.
Steam has had it on sale for a month or so now, Something don't sit right with me about that.

I'll wait till I got nothin better to rent. By the way, how does she survive being stabbed in the kidney area and no treatment?
Old 2013-02-27, 17:34   Link #44
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
Steam has had it on sale for a month or so now, Something don't sit right with me about that.

I'll wait till I got nothin better to rent. By the way, how does she survive being stabbed in the kidney area and no treatment?
I don't really call a "10% off pre-order" a serious sale, but it is a sign the pre-orders are underwhelming them. Here's the problem (not just for Tomb Raider).

Times are tough, people have smaller piles of entertainment dollars. People are tired of being screwed by half-ass releases hyped through the roof that never get fixed They watch studios firing developers seconds after the release and they know things won't get fixed. Combine those three things and you get a real hesitation by the consumer to pre-order or even pay full price.

I'm willing to pay $60 for a deep immersion cinematic experience with complex story lines, I'll even tolerate a pile of bugs as long as it doesn't block the story line -- but it has to actually *be* that on release.
Old 2013-02-27, 21:19   Link #45
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
I'm willing to pay $60 for a deep immersion cinematic experience with complex story lines, I'll even tolerate a pile of bugs as long as it doesn't block the story line -- but it has to actually *be* that on release.
I have no interest in converting others to my gaming opinions, but it's like you haven't even bothered to read the range of reviews for this game.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-28, 00:48   Link #46
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
I have no interest in converting others to my gaming opinions, but it's like you haven't even bothered to read the range of reviews for this game.
read carefully, its like you didn't bother to read my post - I haven't said TR failed to meet that requirement. I only said I rarely pre-order any more because so many games aren't ready for prime time on release. Tomb Raider is on sale 10% off on Steam in pre-order. That implies sales have not been great, possibly for the reasons I gave. It says nothing about whether the game will be in good shape on release day or not.
Old 2013-03-04, 18:47   Link #47
Dauerlutscher
Marauder Shields

This game looks really really good on PC. Can't wait to play it.

ingame screenshots

http://www.abload.de/img/tombraider2013-03-042hfuhd.jpg
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthre...06297&page=112
http://i6.minus.com/ilAm0FkDo2bo8.png
http://i3.minus.com/i1tbBkjjsBM5K.png
http://i6.minus.com/iihMK9an1T9aX.jpg
http://i1.minus.com/ibcQAb2g294962.jpg
http://i6.minus.com/i7hWuAu00tgtN.jpg

Here is the link to the pics.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthre...06297&page=112

Last edited by Daniel E.; 2013-03-04 at 20:35. Reason: Please use the images tag when posting big images such as this
Dauerlutscher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-04, 19:44   Link #48
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I'm pretty certain I'm going to buy it. Whether I buy it at full price or wait for a sale kind of depends on this month's budget. Even just for nostalgia purposes (played the very first one way way way back), I figure it will provide some fun.
Old 2013-03-04, 20:28   Link #49
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Few posts seems this game isn't that worth the buy.....
Old 2013-03-04, 21:52   Link #50
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjiharima View Post
Few posts seems this game isn't that worth the buy.....
Eh, I wouldn't base it on the post count here. most of the review seem fair with the only complaint being a somewhat oddly paced storyline (in terms of her evolution into a mobile slaughter factory). It looks picturesque and entertaining in terms of POV scroll (mostly linear zones with some side routes) puzzle solving and combat.

I just am not currently leaning to paying full price they want for it.
Old 2013-03-05, 00:33   Link #51
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Playing the PC version. Started with High Settings, settled with a mixture of High/Ultra. About an hour and a half in. Looks great so far. And, as ridiculous as it is to say this early into the game, I do think it's going to be in the conversation for end of year rewards. It's so surprisingly polished and epically put together from a developer that used to make...well....not AAA games.

Here are a few screenshots (spoilers, only if you've avoided the trailers):

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

The controls are smooth and fluid. I actually find the "parkour" aspect even better than Assassin's Creed, if only because I was always fighting the keyboard/mouse controls in that game, and not at all here. Combat is very smooth and fluid as well, and the automatic use of cover is...amazingly well implemented. None of that "snap" feel most games have when it comes to cover. This one has a very natural smooth feel to it all. I'm amazed that a developer like Crystal Dynamics could get the control and combat so well done.

I suspect some of the QTEs would be easier with a gamepad (not that they're hard, but mashing gamepad keys always struck me as "easier" than mashing keyboard keys). I was thinking of giving a shot at playing with my PS3 controller, but again, the controls with mouse/keyboard are smooth and fluid, so I probably won't.

Lots of "lore" to unlock for those who want more backstory (and those who just like to collect things), and the first "tomb" for more puzzle-oriented gameplay is available very early (I believe the tombs are optional, so if you're the type of person who played the tomb raider games primarily for that type of play, let me just get this out of the way now, this is primarily an action/adventure game, very similar-so far-to Assassin's Creed/Uncharted).

I like Lara's new look.

Though, I have an Nvidia card, so I guess I don't get to see the individual hairs. ;D

Also, early tip:

The screen you see when you're told to upgrade your skills isn't the only skill tree. So, you don't have to spend your skill point(s) on those skills. The more combat oriented (yay!) skills are in another tree which you'll see after you press esc as you're exiting out of the menu. Which I learned after the fact.

As PC ports go, I think it's very well done. The extras you get through Steam (and possibly other retailers) for spending 8 more dollars on the survival edition are about what you'd expect. Soundtrack (the last two tracks are suitably epic), artbook, poster (poster is high res enough that if you wanted to send it to be printed, you could). There's also a 57 page comic that serves as the prelude that segways into the beginning of the game. Would have been nice if they had just made that into a CGI movie or something. Haven't reached a point where the weapons show up, though I tend not to use DLC weapons, as they're usually overpowered/out of place.

Not gonna be able to play too much tonight. It was a loooooooooooong day at work, and sleep beckons. :/ Why don't games release on Fridays?!

Edit: Oh, I guess all the talk about Radeon cards and the hair in this game was a lot of empty boasting, because I just realized I can turn that option on even with an Nvidia card. It looks pretty good, but screenshots don't really do it justice, as you have to see the hair moving to appreciate it. With it off, the hair is typical video game hair, and with it on, you really do see all those individual strands move (which has its good and bad moments, but overall, I like it). :/

Apparently if you're using older drives and an Nvidia card, the pretty hair will crush your system. I'm using the latest 314 drivers without any issues.

Screenshot, anyways,

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Also, cake.

Last edited by creb; 2013-03-05 at 04:09.
Old 2013-03-05, 02:03   Link #52
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
I just am not currently leaning to paying full price they want for it.
Yea, I'll probably wait 'til a steam sale or some such, got enough backlog atm as it is (esp. with SC2 looming just a week away )
Old 2013-03-05, 02:42   Link #53
Edge Meltdown
AxS HxM TxA RxS JxK HxM

will the game run fine with a nvidia gt 630 and a 2600K i7 2nd gen?

"Nothing is true, Everything is Permitted" - Altaïr Ibn-La'Ahad
Edge Meltdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-05, 02:54   Link #54
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge Meltdown View Post
will the game run fine with a nvidia gt 630 and a 2600K i7 2nd gen?
I'm only running a gtx 560, i5 3470 and 16 gb ram.

Even with the hair tessellation on and half the settings on ultra and the other half on high, the game runs fine at 1920 x 1080 resolution full screen mode.

You have a perfectly fine CPU.

Your issue is your video card is complete and utter rubbish. :/ I can't imagine that 630 can power many games at all.

It's a very strange card to be paired with your i7.

Even a $100-150 card would magically make your computer a competent gaming rig by replacing that card.

That said, there's someone on Steam who is playing with a 630 on high settings (obviously with hair tessellation off), and he says it's playable (not the greatest fps). So, assuming that individual isn't exaggerating, I guess you're good to go.
Also, cake.
Old 2013-03-05, 03:10   Link #55
Edge Meltdown
AxS HxM TxA RxS JxK HxM

^ the vcard was only 50 bucks and it's the only GPU i can afford before I started working again recently lol... but I'm thinking about getting a 700 series as soon as it gets out or should I get the gtx 670 or above instead?

"Nothing is true, Everything is Permitted" - Altaïr Ibn-La'Ahad
Edge Meltdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-05, 03:11   Link #56
Mizuno
Undefined

Send a message via MSN to Mizuno
I finished it. Haven't had this much fun since Uncharted 2. Definitely GOTY material though this year's competition is tough with The Last of Us and Beyond still in the wings, amongst others.
Old 2013-03-05, 03:36   Link #57
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge Meltdown View Post
^ the vcard was only 50 bucks and it's the only GPU i can afford before I started working again recently lol... but I'm thinking about getting a 700 series as soon as it gets out or should I get the gtx 670 or above instead?
given what you have now, I'd just go for the 670.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizuno View Post
I finished it. Haven't had this much fun since Uncharted 2. Definitely GOTY material though this year's competition is tough with The Last of Us and Beyond still in the wings, amongst others.
already?
Old 2013-03-05, 15:24   Link #58
Mizuno
Undefined

Send a message via MSN to Mizuno
I got it on Saturday. The campaign is simply amazing but honestly that MP... is giving it negative value. As a whole package, Uncharted 2 beats this hands down. Some games just don't need multiplayer. Now I have to pretend it was never there in the first place but then they force you to play their MP if you want to plat it...
Old 2013-03-05, 17:31   Link #59
Sphire

Just started the game. Pretty fun and the tressFX hair mod is kinda funny but cool. Been making a playthrough if any care to see. HD 1080p:

Old 2013-03-05, 17:55   Link #60
DingoEnderZOE2

Send a message via AIM to DingoEnderZOE2
Hey hey guys I think we're forgetting about what makes a Tomb Raider game so entertaining, and that's the various ways Lara can die.

C'mon let's not pretend that we used to occasionally make Lara take a dive off a high ledge and make her snap her neck upon impact, or purposely allow her to get eaten by a shack, Dinosaur, or turned into solid gold.

Let's discuss SOME of the unique ways she can die outside of the just fall down dead animation. I say some because I do want to see most of them for myself and I won't be getting my copy of the game until tomorrow.

^_^
Anime evaluating:None
Manga in progress:None at the moment
DingoEnderZOE2 is offline   Reply With Quote