AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online

Notices

Old 2012-09-29, 13:13   Link #1481
Gearhead
Metroid of Humor

There is an important set of differences between Damsel In Distress and Badass In Distress.
Old 2012-09-29, 13:18   Link #1482
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xacual View Post
We had this discussion earlier in the topic.
A girl who is trapped and needs to be saved is a damsel in distress. It doesn't matter how tough she is or if she helps on her rescuing and whatnot. It doesn't change the fact that she's in a position of weakness and needs to be saved.

I gotta agree with Cloudenvy that I didn't like to see Asuna in that position. In fact I don't like to see any female character in that position because that trope has been done to death already.

Now I wouldn't mind if Kirito was the trapped one. That's something you don't see that often, and it'd sort of subvert typical gender roles as well, which is always good.

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2012-09-29 at 13:31.
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-29, 13:21   Link #1483
Xacual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
A girl who is trapped and needs to be saved is a damsel in distress. It doesn't matter how tough she is or if she helps on her rescuing and whatnot. It's a trope, a trapped girl, a hero to the rescue.
And without Asuna, Kirito never would have gotten to her in the first place. Asuna made her own rescue possible.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-29, 13:23   Link #1484
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xacual View Post
And without Asuna, Kirito never would have gotten to her in the first place. Asuna made her own rescue possible.
Like I said, it doesn't change the fact that she is in a position of weakness and needs to be rescued. That's the problem with the trope. That's what I and lots of other readers don't like.
Old 2012-09-29, 13:24   Link #1485
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead View Post
There is an important set of differences between Damsel In Distress and Badass In Distress.
When the badass is depowered, objectified, threatened with rape (including tentacle rape) and has to wait for her boyfriend to claim her as a prize, it's definitely in the land of Damsel In Distress.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-29, 13:35   Link #1486
Marina2

Quote:
I gotta agree with Cloudenvy that I didn't like to see Asuna in that position. In fact I don't like to see any female character in that position because that trope has been done to death already.
Just want to say.....

[The girl who can fight for herself or can fight along with MC] type of character is also has been done to death as well.
Old 2012-09-29, 13:36   Link #1487
Ray
Garnet

Everything is cliche and there seems to be a trope for everything.
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-29, 13:41   Link #1488
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina2 View Post
The girl who can fight for herself or can fight along with MC type of character is also has been done to death as well.
But it doesn't objectify her as a prize/goal and it doesn't hammer traditional gender roles on the viewer's head. I like to avoid that sort of thing if I can help it, and it seems I'm not the only one.

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2012-09-29 at 14:21.
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-29, 14:41   Link #1489
teja208
Critical fanboy

I have mix feeling when it comes to FD arc. While I do enjoy two well written characters giving their all in order to overcome various obstacles to finally get together, the said obstacle is very pathetic and disgusting one.

For me, the problem with FD is a badly written villain. His genre blindness astounds me. He violates almost every rule a villain should never ever do from providing heroine a mean of possibly escape to lousy back up plan (is trying to kill the hero with a common knife even considered one?) and not to mention raping the heroine in front of the hero. I don’t mind narcissistic villain playing elf king and acting high and mighty, but at least have some OP combat skills or wits to back up. He has neither, just some idiot who was lucky enough to get his hands on a masterpiece left behind by the previous villain who is 100 times more competent than him. In fact, I find Death Gun 10 times better as a villain. That guy has some fighting skills and wits plus he manage to obtain hard earned OP equipments to back him up in the fight.
teja208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-29, 15:08   Link #1490
firestalker5

Quote:
Originally Posted by teja208 View Post
I have mix feeling when it comes to FD arc. While I do enjoy two well written characters giving their all in order to overcome various obstacles to finally get together, the said obstacle is very pathetic and disgusting one.

For me, the problem with FD is a badly written villain. His genre blindness astounds me. He violates almost every rule a villain should never ever do from providing heroine a mean of possibly escape to lousy back up plan (is trying to kill the hero with a common knife even considered one?) and not to mention raping the heroine in front of the hero. I don’t mind narcissistic villain playing elf king and acting high and mighty, but at least have some OP combat skills or wits to back up. He has neither, just some idiot who was lucky enough to get his hands on a masterpiece left behind by the previous villain who is 100 times more competent than him. In fact, I find Death Gun 10 times better as a villain. That guy has some fighting skills and wits plus he manage to obtain hard earned OP equipments to back him up in the fight.
Did the guy actually rape her though? I remember him doing some crazy sexual erotic things, but never actually went the whole mile. Not that what he did is any better, but actual forced penetration wasn't something I remember him doing.
firestalker5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-29, 15:14   Link #1491
teja208
Critical fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by firestalker5 View Post
Did the guy actually rape her though? I remember him doing some crazy sexual erotic things, but never actually went the whole mile. Not that what he did is any better, but actual forced penetration wasn't something I remember him doing.
Ah sorry my bad, I meant to say he's trying to harass her, but it's clearly obvious in the novel that he has every intention of raping Asuna in front of Kirito.
teja208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-29, 16:11   Link #1492
Gearhead
Metroid of Humor

No, there is a definite difference between Asuna's stretch as a Badass In Distress and a Damsel In Distress. It takes a great deal for Asuna to go 'Oh, woe is me, someone save me.'

Most of the time it's 'I'm going to get out of here. And when I DO...'
Old 2012-09-29, 16:19   Link #1493
Kazu-kun

^ Call it whatever you want. At the end of the day she's still depowered, trapped, objectified as a prize, and need her man to rescue her. That's the issue, not the name of the trope.
Old 2012-09-29, 16:32   Link #1494
Gearhead
Metroid of Humor

While I maintain that the author did a good job of relating that Asuna would've probably found a way out on her own. But, since the main perspective character is Kirito we have to rely on his perspective and his increasing, frantic need to resolve things. The poor guy really does need her in order to function properly.

'My time can't resume until she's back.'
Old 2012-09-29, 16:36   Link #1495
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

so the ALO arc wont be rush?

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-29, 16:41   Link #1496
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead View Post
Asuna would've probably found a way out on her own.
But she didn't.
Old 2012-09-29, 17:30   Link #1497
NoirX
ぼっち
*Author

Quote:
But she didn't.
Rather than "Didn't" it's more appropriate to say she "Couldn't" as she is in despair and in the brink of giving up that time.
Old 2012-09-29, 17:35   Link #1498
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoirX View Post
Rather than "Didn't" it's more appropriate to say she "Couldn't" as she is in despair and in the brink of giving up that time.
That's right. And it's more appropriate to illustrate my point too. Thanks!
Old 2012-09-29, 17:54   Link #1499
dmaxzero

Well she tried and fail... in any case, she is a damsel in distress in ALO.

In the novel works alright, but in the anime would be weird to see Asuna outside the plot for a while.
dmaxzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-29, 19:34   Link #1500
emptyness

so episode 14 will be the last for the SAO arc right? then on episode 15 it will be ALO... oh i can't w8 for it =D
emptyness is offline   Reply With Quote