AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support > Playback Help

Notices

Old 2008-03-09, 14:20   Link #1
lubczyk

Fansub playback on PS3

Ok, I have a PS3 on which i would like to Playback anime Xvid/h264 fansubs.

Thing is, the PS3 does not support the MKV Container or the Xvid Codec.

I've figured out that the quickest solution would be to convert the fansubs to wmv or VC-1.

The problem arises that encoders like VideoLAN and Windows Media Encoder produce some sloppy transcodes. There is a lot of quality loss that occurs transcoding from Xvid and h264 into VC-1/WMV.

Is there anyway to losslessly transcode Xvid and MKV files into WMV/VC-1 without a loss in quality?
Old 2008-03-09, 14:30   Link #2
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubczyk View Post
Is there anyway to losslessly transcode Xvid and MKV files into WMV/VC-1 without a loss in quality?
no

(not unless VC-1 has a lossless mode)
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
Old 2008-03-09, 14:57   Link #3
martino
makes no files now

Load some Linux distro on the PS3 and use mplayer. Profit... right?
Old 2008-03-09, 15:55   Link #4
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

XviD and DivX are very similar. So the PS3 should play XviD (in AVI) fine, with the exception of most Dattebayo (DB) releases.

If the MKV you want to play is simply XviD+MP3 with hardcoded subs inside a MKV container, you could convert it back to AVI, in theory. Otherwise use a tool like PS3Video9, which will cause some loss of quality.
Old 2008-03-09, 17:05   Link #5
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
might be easier to just turn on the pc/laptop?
Old 2008-03-10, 20:52   Link #6
lubczyk

Thanks everyone, I figured it out. I put the file into 1.1e old-stlye avi container and it played fine.
Old 2008-03-13, 12:55   Link #7
Umbrae
Generic Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by martino View Post
Load some Linux distro on the PS3 and use mplayer. Profit... right?
Yellow Dog Linux was specificaly made for the PS3 and it's cell proccessor. It is simple to load. . . now as for getting mplayer to work right on it . . . well that is not quite as simple. . . at least not in the distro I had on my PS3, which was 4 I belive. This new version 6 (as of feb 08) could be quite a bit easier to do it on.

4 was missing several rpm's needed to get media playing correctly. You would think that they would have pre loaded at least one media player in the distro, considering it was made for a media proccessing machine after all.
Old 2008-03-13, 15:55   Link #8
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Just a correction, Yellow Dog Linux was actually made for running on Apple's "Power" processors (RISC processors as opposed to the x86 processors that we're all using now). As you could probably imagine it didn't receive terribly huge usage as Mac users were a slim minority, and even fewer of them were willing to ditch Mac OS for Linux. I'm not sure if Cell processors are RISC-based but since they were deveped by IBM, the same makers of the Power processors, it wouldn't surprise me. Thus Yellow Dog Linux is relatively easily ported over to Cell-based systems, such as the PS3.

I'd imagine they'll be tweaking it toward the PS3 as the number of Power-based Mac users declines, but as of now it isn't an OS made strictly for a multimedia machine