AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2013-11-11, 15:04   Link #1
ellifeedn
Thinker

All About YouTube

I first learned about YouTube back in 2006, and since then it has held a special place in my heart for the many videos I've watched and enjoyed over the years. But, as I'm sure everyone is aware of, recently YouTube has gone all-out with some changes and I greatly hate what they are doing. But this has me reminiscing about many of the changes the website has gone through over the years.

I remember when videos used to let you see videos that came before and after the one you were watching, making it easy to watch a person's backlog in the order the videos were put online. Now you have to go to the person's backlog to play them in that order. It's mildly inconvenient, but nothing too bad. Then there was the redesign of the entire website to the current design. While I do find it convenient to be able to access your subscriptions from whatever page you're on from the menu on the left side, it also came with the current system of recommended videos on the right side, and with it the rise of PewDiePie, but the less said about him the better.

And then there's my issue with the 144p quality. For those of you who don't know or forgot, YouTube videos used to buffer. Nowadays, any video that has that quality option doesn't buffer, and I know it's part of the reason because there are some videos that don't have that quality and do buffer. I know people might have issues with buffering, but I definitely prefer being able to watch a video once it finishes buffering to having to wait for a video to "mini-buffer" every 20 seconds. I don't always have a stable internet connection and having a video die on me because of crappy internet, it's just .

And now, we come to the most recent changes. Now, you need to have a Google+ account to be able to comment and send messages. I can live without those things since I rarely made comments or sent messages. However, no matter how many times I say, "I DON'T WANT A GOOGLE+ ACCOUNT." I don't have accounts for Facebook or Twitter or Tumblr or any of these sites, and I don't care to. I don't want to rant, but it doesn't help when you ask me to make one EVERY FREAKIN' DAY. With the way things are going, I'm sure it'll eventually come to a point where I won't be able to even use my account unless I have a Google+ one.

I might have eventually accepted these changes and made a Google+ account myself, if not for the fact that they already made an account for me. I absolutely hate it when a website does things to my account without my knowledge and say-so, it's almost a violation of privacy to me. This to me is unacceptable. I'm sure there are plenty of you who don't care about these changes and just go with the flow, but it's the principle of the matter. I hope it doesn't come to it, but I feel I will have to abandon my account and manually check each and every one of my former subscriptions every day in a manic and compulsive manner.

I think I've rambled enough. What are your feelings about YouTube, what they've done, or anything else?
ellifeedn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-11, 15:22   Link #2
Kimidori
The Opened Ultimate Gate

for me it a place to quickly find short scene of an anime or listen to a song. comments on YouTube so stupid, moronic that 4chan look like a heavily moderated board in comparison.

pretty much only the top comments is worth reading for some humour and wits.
Old 2013-11-11, 17:33   Link #3
EscapeReality

Too many changes that are becoming confusing to follow. I especially dislike how every time I login it prods me to choose which channel should be displayed (do they not save your settings?) I prefer if they keep the interface simple. But I mean - it is a free service, so I don't see why we have the right to really complain about it. Dailymotion is a viable alternative.
EscapeReality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-12, 01:45   Link #4
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Just a quick note that this is a discussion topic about YouTube, and not a thread to post videos.
Old 2013-11-13, 11:44   Link #5
Jaden

YouTube is quite frankly shitting its own bed. All the changes they made lately have been steps backward, and the google+ integration has been a disaster.

It's causing a lot of the popular YouTubers to speak their minds about it though, and a number professional content producers have had to disable the comment sections on their videos. These are the people that generate revenue for the site, so I imagine Google has to start listening to them and fixing things....right?
Old 2013-11-13, 12:46   Link #6
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

The only positive thing about the new change is that comments are no longer limited to 500 characters. Everything else is just either bad or worse. I don't like how recommended videos aren't really recommended anymore, but just random videos from people I already watch, and the recent Google+ thing is something that still rubs me the wrong way, and something I accepted reluctantly. Also, from what I understand, you can no longer comment on older videos because they apparently forgot to make the comment system backwards compatible. That's just stupid.

And Google probably doesn't give a rat's ass. I remember the enormous outrage when they changed the layouts of the user pages. For weeks, people were on their high heels complaining about it, but pretty much everyone eventually accepted it, whether they wanted to or not. Google simply didn't care. Their way was the right way, their users be screwed. I'm sure nothing will be done about this and (some) people will eventually reluctantly accept it.

It's a shame that there aren't really any viable alternatives, other than perhaps Dailymotion, though at this rate, that might not be for long. And then it's probably just a matter of time before DM sells itself out as well and the whole cycle starts anew.
Old 2013-11-14, 01:17   Link #7
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Fire View Post
The only positive thing about the new change is that comments are no longer limited to 500 characters.
While 500 characters was probably a bit too limited, the current unlimited amount of character is much worse people are able to spam to an insane level now with things, I've seen an entire movie script posted on one video because they could.

That along with the way that google+ changed how links on YT work were both bad changes. I honestly have no idea what google is thinking besides "How can we make youtube worse yet call it an update this month/year?" since every change they've done has been make it worse and worse very few of the updates did anything good besides being change for sake of change.
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-14, 03:45   Link #8
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakaga View Post
While 500 characters was probably a bit too limited, the current unlimited amount of character is much worse people are able to spam to an insane level now with things, I've seen an entire movie script posted on one video because they could.
Mostly a protest against the current 'regime', but a point well taken, nonetheless.
Old 2013-11-14, 03:58   Link #9
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

The way I see it, Google forced the Google+ requirement on Youtube commentary because they were upset that people aren't using Google+ instead of Facebook.
Old 2013-11-14, 03:59   Link #10
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

I have YouTube along with Google+ and it's still buggier than before. We learn in the design/development industry that keeping things fresh isn't a bad thing. However, it's also not a bad thing to ride with what works and what people are accustomed to. It sucks more that these updates are mandatory, with such big changes to how channels are laid out, forcing channel owners to waste more time building up their pages with images of new dimensions.

...I miss the old YouTube, where I was introduced to my first full-blown anime, Kanon 2002. Sat there for an entire night watching 3-part episodes and getting stupidly immersed.
Old 2013-11-14, 04:07   Link #11
SummeryDreams

Youtube just like other social media sites are being used mostly for advertisements nowadays, which I don't like anymore. So I only watch vids about something fun or trending. Can't look for decent learning stuffs anymore..
SummeryDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-18, 22:34   Link #12
Rikimtasu

Send a message via MSN to Rikimtasu
The thing is...if you still want people to watch your video,and you want to share your video easily..it is still youtube,for now. As a old youtube user since 2007,the changes of youtube right now really hit me much as it can,and somehow it still doesn't allow way upload past 60fps video,and now they even not allowing 1080p video download is what i really hate for now..
Old 2013-11-20, 20:52   Link #13
EscapeReality

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummeryDreams View Post
Youtube just like other social media sites are being used mostly for advertisements nowadays, which I don't like anymore. So I only watch vids about something fun or trending. Can't look for decent learning stuffs anymore..
You know there's KhanAcademy, right? I think YouTube hosts all those videos (and they probably cover almost everything you want to know) They need advertisements to generate profit and to keep the site open, and it's not nearly as bad as some anime streaming sites (ahem, Crunchyroll). I would rather watch a series on Youtube over any other site. Part of it may be brand name, but I wouldn't be turning away from YouTube any time soon.
EscapeReality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-21, 00:20   Link #14
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
The way I see it, Google forced the Google+ requirement on Youtube commentary because they were upset that people aren't using Google+ instead of Facebook.
This. Using "real names" has not proven to be an effective deterrent to bad internet behavior. Google saw an opportunity to push their (unpopular) service and went for it.

The constant tweaking to Youtube certainly isn't helping things either. Change for the sake of it isn't fun, and neither is being a beta tester for a live product.
Old 2013-12-14, 18:07   Link #15
ellifeedn
Thinker

Does anyone know how YouTube Content ID works? Considering this?

Last edited by ellifeedn; 2013-12-14 at 19:30.
Old 2013-12-14, 18:57   Link #16
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

What annoys me is that I used to be able to find out what was the most popular music videos in, say, Korea, and now I can't.

You used to be able to discover new things on Youtube, and now that's very hard. If you want to see something, you got to know what it's called. I don't accidentally come across things nearly as much as I used to.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-14, 20:56   Link #17
Jaden

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellifeedn View Post
Does anyone know how YouTube Content ID works? Considering this?
From what I've gathered, the system flags videos if they contain what it recognises to be copyrighted content (a piece of video or sound). The flagged videos become unavailable until the flags are somehow resolved. As a result, all the revenue created by those videos might get redirected from the uploader to the copyright holders, or the video might get deleted.

The system has existed for a while, but the specifications for the content matching were done by copyright holders themselves, in conjunction with the youtube administration. This week it's basically gone berserk, starting to arbitrarily match and flag videos, even without any input from the copyright holders.

The idea is that copyright issues are dealt with by the system before anyone feels the need to take legal action on Youtube or the users. The unfortunate part is that the system has no concept of fair use, and many prominent channels have lost sizable parts of their library, cutting their revenue and giving no clue if and when the flags are going to be resolved.
Old 2013-12-15, 07:29   Link #18
sa547
*Author

Even the mere faint background licensed music playing on the radio in a seemingly innocent home video of a happy toddler suddenly gets flagged.
Old 2013-12-15, 07:55   Link #19
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
The only good thing about youtube right now is removing the 10 min cap. I can now listen to symphonies and prog in their mighty over 20+min glory.

But yeah, the comment section is terrible, just terrible, putting a dent in whatever little faith you had in humanity. The forced integration of Google+ is terribad and the whole "copyright nazism" just sucks when most of uploaders just want to share with no profit in mind.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-16, 16:49   Link #20
ellifeedn
Thinker

Now it's getting ridiculous.