AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Eden of the East

Notices

Old 2009-04-16, 19:51   Link #301
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I'm anxious to see ep 2 already - I really want to feel that magic connection I missed out on with 1. In the meantime, I'm getting my I.G. fix from Seirei no Moribito.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-16, 20:06   Link #302
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
1. I'm betraying my ignorance, but I don't understand the thing about superflat, which I thought was a style of animation.

2. I think you're right that they are saying something with the birthdates of Saki and others in the show, but I'm still not sure what. By the way, I think the old way is deference to America, and the new way is nationalistic pride, but we'll see how this show plays that aspect.

3. Your explanation of the charades as catering to an audience (you use the expression "moe pandering") is reasonable, and probably part of the truth. But it is also true, as I posted earlier (and others have just posted), that Umino Chika -- a woman who writes manga considered josei -- has a tendency to draw some female characters this way. I feel it as showing the female side of the contradiction between child and adult from the inside: one doesn't quite feel capable, but one can still take bold action in the adult world, especially to follow one's desires. Remember that this show is in the Noitamina timeslot, which has a high female viewership.

I find the tension in the contrast between the voice and character design on the one hand and Saki's boldness on the other to be one of the attractions of this show. I see it less as parody than as psychological reality. There are lots of male characters -- Morita and Akira for two -- who show similar contradictions in other ways.

And thanks to Kazu-kun for the spoilered explanation. I was wondering what the significance of that car was.
Superflat is basically an art movement that protests what it's subscribers see as Japanese media (not just anime) increasingly promoting a shallow consumer culture. Part of that involves the satirization of moe traits by taking them and distorting them in such a way that ultimately makes them less appealing. It's hard to describe, but a good example would be Maromi from Paranoia Agent.

The Showa Era, or at least the early parts of it were dominated by Japanese imperialistic leanings which ultimately lead to WWII and the near destruction of the country. Japan tried to move away from that afterward, but some sections of the population, primarily those who lived most of their lives during the Showa era argue that Japan moved to far away from the old ways and that in doing so has made it and it's culture weaker while replacing it with Americanization and various Otaku subcultures which are a false distortion of Japanese history and culture. Once the Showa era people die that will be it and the last of the old ways and Japanese cultures will exist only in the history books. The Showa era definitely wasn't about deference to America though, at least not all of it. You're thinking of the current Heisei era.

For the record I don't think there's any pandering going on, I just said that for contrasting purposes. I doubt the character design has anything to do with superflat at it's source so much as that it seems like the character designer can only draw that type of female character, but if they play their cards right instead of just letting them fall I think the series creators can turn her designs to their advantage for an artistic purpose.....maybe.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2009-04-16 at 20:25.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-16, 21:04   Link #303
Raiga
tl;dr

Spoiler for ep2:
Old 2009-04-16, 21:31   Link #304
drobertbaker
Major Lurker

Location: <clap> <clap> <clap> <clap> Deep in the Heart of Texas
Kao-chan (or anyone else who might know):

The 2-chan thread for episode 2 just seems to be a guy called toshiaki making a comment every minute or so for 2 hours.

Why doesn't anyone else say anything? Is it his thread? Is he the only one who cares? Is it his "job" to provide live commentary for everyone else? How does that work?

Thank you.
Old 2009-04-16, 22:36   Link #305
LeoXiao
思想工作

Episode 1 was pretty good. It did a good job of getting my interest. On another note, doesn't the Akira guy look like "the Laughing Man" from Stand Alone Complex?
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-16, 22:38   Link #306
Ottocycle

Damn, this is a great way to show that she's head over heels for him. Typhoon of fresh air.

Also, looks like we have our first adversary. "I'll relieve your responsibility for you, No.9" eh...
Ottocycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-16, 22:38   Link #307
Raiga
tl;dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoXiao View Post
Episode 1 was pretty good. It did a good job of getting my interest. On another note, doesn't the Akira guy look like "the Laughing Man" from Stand Alone Complex?
Most people have said Morita from H&C (which I just might watch now after hearing so much good word on it) :P But now that you mention it, he does sorta look like Laughing Man grown up.
Old 2009-04-16, 23:19   Link #308
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

That guy was more handsomer than Akira.

I'll prob get used to the designs after 3 episodes. At least it didn't lead to me dropping the series like in RD.
Old 2009-04-16, 23:35   Link #309
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by drobertbaker View Post
Kao-chan (or anyone else who might know): The 2-chan thread for episode 2 just seems to be a guy called toshiaki making a comment every minute or so for 2 hours. Why doesn't anyone else say anything? Is it his thread? Is he the only one who cares? Is it his "job" to provide live commentary for everyone else? How does that work? Thank you.
2channel-style boards are anonymous, unless you happen to want to give your name (and no-one does). They pick some name or phrase to appear to be the poster and it's the same for everyone. But the posts actually come from many different people.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-16, 23:43   Link #310
Celestial Kitsune
Myobu

Episode 2 Photoessay
Celestial Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-17, 03:37   Link #311
Washizu
Shape of Things to Come

Send a message via MSN to Washizu
>> ... if Saki's fetishized yet distorted character design (lolifying a 22 year old, and having her display both idealized/submissive/childish and measured/sensible/mature traits)

Just so you know, not all girls are giant-breasted bikini-wearing hardcases. Just because a girl is written and drawn in such a way that she is cute and feminine does not make her otaku-pandering fetishism. Typical modern Western thinking that unless a female character looks like she can and will kick your ass, it's somehow wrong. There are a whole host of shows you can accuse of this fetishization, but trying to apply it to this show is just stupid.

>>Not to mention how both Akira and Saki appear have been born in the last year of the Showa era, which is seen as the big cultural gap and the last tie Japan had to the old imperial ways in certain circles. It's like they are teetering on the edge between the old ways of Japanese nationalistic pride and the new ways of deference to American will and it even comes through in some of the actions they take in the first episode and their passive aggressive ways out of being chased by the cops.

That, on the other hand, is an interesting thought. I reckon you've probably hit the nail on the head with that observation. I suspect it's just a bit of background symbolism though; I'm sure they won't tread too far into making some kind of statement on nationalism or anything potentially insensitive to potential overseas markets.
Washizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-17, 03:57   Link #312
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Washizu View Post
>> ... if Saki's fetishized yet distorted character design (lolifying a 22 year old, and having her display both idealized/submissive/childish and measured/sensible/mature traits)

Just so you know, not all girls are giant-breasted bikini-wearing hardcases. Just because a girl is written and drawn in such a way that she is cute and feminine does not make her otaku-pandering fetishism. Typical modern Western thinking that unless a female character looks like she can and will kick your ass, it's somehow wrong. There are a whole host of shows you can accuse of this fetishization, but trying to apply it to this show is just stupid.

>>Not to mention how both Akira and Saki appear have been born in the last year of the Showa era, which is seen as the big cultural gap and the last tie Japan had to the old imperial ways in certain circles. It's like they are teetering on the edge between the old ways of Japanese nationalistic pride and the new ways of deference to American will and it even comes through in some of the actions they take in the first episode and their passive aggressive ways out of being chased by the cops.

That, on the other hand, is an interesting thought. I reckon you've probably hit the nail on the head with that observation. I suspect it's just a bit of background symbolism though; I'm sure they won't tread too far into making some kind of statement on nationalism or anything potentially insensitive to potential overseas markets.
Yeah I think you might have missed the point of what I was getting at there a little.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-17, 04:13   Link #313
Blaat

Maybe the seleção is a system to get on the Japanese national football team. (Okay not funny)
Blaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-17, 06:04   Link #314
solomon

Not much to say but SIGN ME UP FOR EP 3! This is easily the noitamina show that has the most cross over appeal for both guys and gals in my opinon (aside from Hakaba Kitarou but no one else watched that one)
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-17, 06:36   Link #315
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
Maybe the seleção is a system to get on the Japanese national football team. (Okay not funny)

I guess it was only a matter of time before 9/11 was mentioned in this.
Old 2009-04-17, 07:02   Link #316
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
And the beat goes on.
Spoiler for ep2:
It should come as no surprise that I love the character design, including Saki. For me, that is not the problem with Production IG shows. Their problem has been slow and impactless story development, for me.
They solved the romance side of things fast and without much drama. Now we can go directly to the action. Ohsugi-kun is out of the picture even with his stalker like tactics without he even knowing it.
golthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-17, 07:02   Link #317
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washizu View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Yeah I think you might have missed the point of what I was getting at there a little.
But even for missing the point...

I feel a need to defend 22 yo females. I'm sorry but they don't look or dress like Saki.
Old 2009-04-17, 07:39   Link #318
Thors

You're wrong, Kaoru Chujo,
Spoiler for ep 2:

Last edited by Thors; 2009-04-17 at 08:55.
Thors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-17, 09:29   Link #319
drobertbaker
Major Lurker

Location: <clap> <clap> <clap> <clap> Deep in the Heart of Texas
Orenji-kun inquired:
Quote:
Does anybody know the name of the song the first cab driver was listening to in episode 1? I tried Googling parts of the lyrics with no luck.
The song playing on the cab's radio is clearly an American gospel song sung by an American. The singer is singing the words from the song (poem?) that is displayed during the OP.

The King has come!
To lighten up our feet
The King has come!
To save us from the dark
The King has come!
With justice till the end

But I will be jiggered if any part of the song's lyrics shows up anywhere on the net in another context.

An original American gospel composition by Kenji Kawai?
Old 2009-04-17, 11:42   Link #320
Ottocycle

I worship the effort put into the ED sequence.

Also, the BGM on the homepage(after skipping the trailer), of which I remember hearing a bit of in the series, is lots of win.

Seems that the staff is inviting the viewers to join in on piecing the puzzle pieces together as the show unfolds - I think the site is rather well made, and it provides some information that hasn't been touched on in the show yet, like how there is a 'supporter' among the twelve, who has the right to eliminate any Selecao who's using the provided money 'incorrectly'.
Ottocycle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
romance, spy thriller