AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2020-12-21, 12:46   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 1000 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread GuidelineBriefs
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

Here we are, friends.... the milestone that took over 20 years in the making! Once again, credit goes to AP's Redon and co. for spoiler info:

-Chapter title is "Straw-Hat Luffy". Splash is the second half of the special color page celebrating the thousandth chapter!

-Luffy makes it to the fifth floor and, with the help of Shishilion and the rest of the mink army, finally reaches the roof! And he's not alone, as after blocking King and Queen's attacks, Marco tosses Zoro towards the roof, as well!

-Back to Yamato, she notes that she found Oden's journal on a riverbank the night his castle burned down, and now wants to give it to Momonosuke. She then has another brief flashback about Ace, where he tells her he recalls Luffy announcing his dream as a kid, which both he and Sabo found funny. However, they also believed he could pull it off. Yamato notes that Roger also had the same dream as Luffy, and hands Ace a vivre card. She then cites the journal once more, which predicted the new generation of pirates would rise in the New World in 20 years' time....

-On the roof, a few more new arrivals have joined Luffy and Zoro in their face-off against the emperors: Trafalgar Law, Eustass Kid, and Killer!!! However, Luffy ignores the Yonkou at first so he can reach out to the wounded Scabbards, of whom he requests Law warp to safety. Kaidou then demands that Luffy repeat his earlier words as to what his aims are. The rubber man thinks of all the friends and comrades he made in Wano, and after dodging a strike from Kaidou's club, counters the emperor with a Gomu Gomu no Red Rock! Big Mom is surprised that her partner in crime let himself get hit like that. The young pirate then makes his declaration: "I am Monkey D. Luffy. I will surpass you and become the Pirate King".....!!!!!

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

And happy holidays to you all!

Last edited by marvelB; 2020-12-30 at 07:17.
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-12-21, 14:13   Link #2
Ramero
7th Order Knight / Hermit

Anyway this is good since Oda's break maybe coincide with Christmas Holidays. Normally we got like 3 chapters for a month (excluding Shueisha break), isn't it?

Can't wait for the first chapter after New Year.
Ramero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-12-21, 17:24   Link #3
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Given the title, I guess this will be the chapter where Luffy finally reaches Kaido (and Big Mom). But maybe Oda will surprise us!
Old 2020-12-21, 17:43   Link #4
cyberdemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Given the title, I guess this will be the chapter where Luffy finally reaches Kaido (and Big Mom). But maybe Oda will surprise us!
There will be a reveal that big mom is actually luffys mom lol
Old 2020-12-21, 19:41   Link #5
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdemon View Post
There will be a reveal that big mom is actually luffys mom lol
You're joking but I'm thinking this chapter may actually reveal who his mom is.
Old 2020-12-21, 20:42   Link #6
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

There's something kinda heartwarming by giving the 1000th chapter the title: Strawhat Luffy. Its giving me a fuzzy feeling inside.

Anyways, I'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest nothing super-important is going to be revealed.

I'm now going on radio silence till the chapter is released; the title is enough of a spoiler for me.
Old 2020-12-22, 07:02   Link #7
Hoodspirit

From the short summary it seems to be more like a normal chapter, proceding the events iin a way that most people expected without much new input.
Hopefully the detailed summary includes more.
Hoodspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-12-22, 15:36   Link #8
marvelB

Okay, OP updated with the summary! Well, no Rocks flashback so far, but still epic stuff to be had: Five supernovas vs. two emperors! Y'know, Zoro said he wanted to cut down Kaidou, but I wonder if he'll take on BM instead since she wields a blade as her signature weapon? Actually, do we know if Napoleon is a top-grade sword....?

But more than that, I'm stoked to see Oda finally address those scenes from chapters 585 and 966 where Luffy and Roger shout out their dreams. I even pointed out a while back how those two scenes mirrored each other:

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
^Yeah, I'm also a bit curious how it was phrased in the original Japanese. In the meantime, here's a (translated) comparison of the two scenes in question:

Luffy (chapter 585)

Images

Roger (chapter 966)

Images

^And as I mentioned before, the reactions of Ace/Sabo/WB/Oden in their respective flashbacks are essentially the same, even. I really wonder if Oda will address this further at some point....
^Notice how both their lines are cut off from us readers (I assume the anime version did something similar. I'm not caught up enough to know, unfortunately). It's most obvious to assume they're talking about becoming Pirate King, but why bother cutting off their speech in that case? It's already common knowledge they aimed to reach the summit. Perhaps their dreams involved something a little more specific in mind.....?
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-12-22, 16:18   Link #9
grecefar

nothing super major but the face-off between the supernovas and kaidou is epic, looking foward to it, seems like is going to be a good chapter.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-12-22, 19:01   Link #10
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Okay, OP updated with the summary! Well, no Rocks flashback so far, but still epic stuff to be had: Five supernovas vs. two emperors! Y'know, Zoro said he wanted to cut down Kaidou, but I wonder if he'll take on BM instead since she wields a blade as her signature weapon? Actually, do we know if Napoleon is a top-grade sword....?
Zoro inherited Oden's sword, and specifically trained to cut Kaido. No way he'll get paired up against Big Mom. Besides, I'm sure Oda wouldn't miss the opportunity to wank Oden some more through Kaido's PTSD.

Luffy and Zoro vs Kaido, Kid and Killer vs Big Mom. They will all work better with their crewmates. Law in the back supporting both teams.
Old 2020-12-22, 22:15   Link #11
Rainbowman

Luffy’s declaration is the main highlight for this milestone chapter. This may not be the first manga series to reach the milestone of 1000 chapters historically, but I doubt there are many other manga series that have reached that far.
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-12-23, 00:41   Link #12
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
With 1000 chapters, Luffy's declaration, and basically setting up the two sides to finally face off, everything looks cool but...

We're still in Act 3, right? Or did we finally move onto Act 4? Because if we're still in Act 3, going by kabuki tradition, the big tragedy hasn't occurred yet. Unless I missed something, of course.

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-12-23, 15:20   Link #13
Zolton

Cons: seems like there's no great reveal or twiat or anything (even the previous chapter had more information)

Pros: Luffy, Zoro and other Supernovas have reached the top, no more running
Zolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-12-23, 19:19   Link #14
khoa1708
www.kh0a.net

are we at the point where luffy can now take on kaidou? albeit with some help but he's that much stronger now since his last major fight with katakuri?
Old 2020-12-24, 02:06   Link #15
Zolton

Ryuo should be a gamechanger. Also, I fully expect Luffy to whip out Gear 5th now.
Zolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-12-24, 07:08   Link #16
Ramero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zolton View Post
Ryuo should be a gamechanger. Also, I fully expect Luffy to whip out Gear 5th now.
Gear 4th was even made in quite a haste one, like around a year or so when Luffy got a hang of how to use Haki. I doubt Luffy can use 5th gear unless he reach Level 2 or awakening state.
If Luffy wants to fully mastered 4th Gear, he need to suppress the side-effect even further. Facing Yonkos, 10 minutes without Haki will be extremely difficult.
Old 2020-12-24, 23:24   Link #17
Itsmepatrick

I wonder if Luffy will create a new Gear Fourth utilizing Ryou kind of like how he created Snakeman. Or will he just create new attacks in Gear Fourth.
Itsmepatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-12-24, 23:26   Link #18
Itsmepatrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramero View Post
Gear 4th was even made in quite a haste one, like around a year or so when Luffy got a hang of how to use Haki. I doubt Luffy can use 5th gear unless he reach Level 2 or awakening state.
If Luffy wants to fully mastered 4th Gear, he need to suppress the side-effect even further. Facing Yonkos, 10 minutes without Haki will be extremely difficult.
Yeah I agree that 10 minute weakness won't worked against the Yonkos. They are a different league of their own. So luffy needs first to overcame that before we talked about Gear Fifth.
Itsmepatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-12-25, 20:37   Link #19
Ramero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsmepatrick View Post
Yeah I agree that 10 minute weakness won't worked against the Yonkos. They are a different league of their own. So luffy needs first to overcame that before we talked about Gear Fifth.
Just remember that using 4th Gear continuously can put a huge strain on him. Remember when he was incapacitated for using 2nd Gear in a continuous streak after defeating Rob Lucci which results in Luffy slept for 3 to 5 days before Garp forcibly waking him up.

I should say that since 4th Gear was related to using Haki unless he can develop a non-Haki version, that can suppress the effect.
Old 2020-12-26, 07:47   Link #20
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I think Luffy has already overcome Gear 4's weakness during his ryuo training. Otherwise he wouldn't stand much of a chance.