AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2014-08-28, 00:49   Link #101
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
New week, new episode, and we're finally introduced to Rurumo's friend Harulily. She obviously cares for Rurumo, and UNLIKE Rurumo it seems, knows very well that using up all those tickets will kill off Kouta.

The big question here is... Why hasn't Rurumo been made aware of this? She's slow, true, but surely the possibility should have occurred to her already?
Old 2014-08-28, 05:27   Link #102
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Ep 8

Yeah...even though there were definitely plenty of heartwarming moments between Harulily and Rurumo there were still someow...hmm...I guess in some ways even more questions raised for me by the ep.

I know I am sounding like a broken record here, but that really was another ep that had a delicate touch in the story writing. There is so much that was deliberately left unsaid, but it came off almost...effortlessly, and became rather thought provoking.

Or at least so it seemed to me.
Old 2014-08-28, 07:35   Link #103
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I admit I wavered a little in that first half, because Harulily set off every alarm bell on my panel. But I should have had more faith, because everything ended up being quite dignified and heartfelt.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-28, 11:12   Link #104
mangatron
worshipping the pantyhose

Episode 06:

Wowser, that episode hit me like a ton of bricks, last thing I was expecting. I too grew up in a household that forbade pets, with cats and dogs being a definite no-no. It wasn't until 2007 when I finally got to spend time with my uncle's cat, who was very tsundere to me at first, and it took almost 4 months before she finally warmed up to me to the point where she'd sleep on my bed (I tell you it's a funny feeling having a cat sleep on you). When I left Germany at the tail end of 2007, it wasn't long till I found out she died in a road accident. The only cat I befriended in this world is gone, and while Kouta didn't take several months with the kittens, I know how he feels Incident.

A very good episode, adding in Chiro's backstory and the revelation that the recovery magic can't be used on the dead. Quite a caveat I'd say, gives me the feeling it may come into play later on...

Episode 07:

lol policewoman... I love that neesan This has been like the best beach episode I've seen in recent season's, where some series spend half an ep at the beach, this episode spent the entire day at the beach Inoue-chan was cute too, heh I've never actually tried swimming with glasses on

I find Chiro to be rather amusing as each ep goes on, she seems so free and innocent in her human form, but in cat form she never lets up calling Kouta an idiot

Best part of the ep though was Rurumo's recollection of the beach events

Episode 08:

This was a surprise. As the ep started, I really thought Harulily was there to wreck havoc on Rurumo, who'd a thought she was Rurumo's friend a really cute twintail friend too.... ahem, HaruHaru following Rurumo on her part time jobs was hilarious, "It wasn't your fault", "I know it wasn't!"

Similar to what you said, Flower, I love how the story tugs my heart strings at the time where the strings are stretched to the max. I practically spent the whole episode laughing, and then boom, Rurumo thinks everything will be all fine and dandy when her training is over and she just doesn't know it yet. The sincerity of her actions day to day are so genuine, I hope it's not going to be a heart breaker when she finds out she was too slow to realize what finishing her training truly means.

One thing is for sure, I'm locked in on this series
mangatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-28, 17:40   Link #105
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
In an episode like this I'm still amazed that no one has decided to let Rurumo know the truth yet. Maybe Kouta intends to get through his life without using up all those tickets, but after a few decades even Rurumo is going to wonder what the hold up is....I think . But really it's clear enough to everyone how much Kouta means to Rurumo, might be time to let her share in the concern.

I was wondering which way they were going to go with Harulilly's character. Either her being a bully of the past (maybe even someone tied with her initial imprisonment) or an old friend. Did a good move making her seem like the first, but in the end it was the second.

I certainly felt for the girl a bit. Rurumo really made a big impact on her in the past and she struggled to pay her back and just get some sort of reaction from her. Even with the development she's had, a lot of Rurumo's expressions are still pretty subtle. Easy to see the girl being frustrated in it feeling like Rurumo didn't see her as a friend and wouldn't turn to her.

Good laughs of course with the part time jobs. You think there would be a Rurumo hazard warning for the part time jobs in that town by now . Also a good laugh with Kouta later giving Harulilly the royal treatment there. He'll go the extra mile for cute girls.
Old 2014-08-29, 19:08   Link #106
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
Ep 8

Yeah...even though there were definitely plenty of heartwarming moments between Harulily and Rurumo there were still someow...hmm...I guess in some ways even more questions raised for me by the ep.

I know I am sounding like a broken record here, but that really was another ep that had a delicate touch in the story writing. There is so much that was deliberately left unsaid, but it came off almost...effortlessly, and became rather thought provoking.

Or at least so it seemed to me.
I agree as well. That was a very masterfully written episode. The plot is getting very interesting... and this show is certainly different from what I went into it expecting--in the best way possible.
dniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-30, 00:22   Link #107
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Harulilly turned out different than I expected. She seemed like your usual 'rival witch, out to steal Kouta from Rurumo by any means possible', but she turned out quite nice when we learned she was just there because she was worried about her old friend and that even if Kouta did contract with her, it wouldn't have any effect on Rurumo.

And even though Rurumo is quite handicapped in the emotional department, there were a few times where she showed genuine happiness. She was obviously thrilled to have a friend come over whom she could share her experiences with and it's becoming ever more clear that Rurumo has seriously fallen for Kouta, whether she truly realizes it or not.

What I wonder is, why doesn't anyone tel Rurumo about the consequences of those tickets? She seems blissfully unaware that Kouta will die,and instead plans on thanking him when her training is complete. Either she is really that dense, or just in heavy denial. Still, someone has to slip up eventually and reveal the news to her. They can't leave her in the dark forever, especially since it concerns the only guy she'll probably ever love.
Old 2014-08-30, 02:58   Link #108
mangatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Fire View Post
What I wonder is, why doesn't anyone tel Rurumo about the consequences of those tickets? She seems blissfully unaware that Kouta will die,and instead plans on thanking him when her training is complete. Either she is really that dense, or just in heavy denial. Still, someone has to slip up eventually and reveal the news to her. They can't leave her in the dark forever, especially since it concerns the only guy she'll probably ever love.
Sounds like one of the rules. Chiro said Rurumo can't know about it, so I would wager it would be another jail term if she breaks the rules again, or maybe worse.
Old 2014-08-30, 09:52   Link #109
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangatron View Post
Sounds like one of the rules. Chiro said Rurumo can't know about it, so I would wager it would be another jail term if she breaks the rules again, or maybe worse.
Certainly for Chiro that could be the case. Although I have to wonder what would be holding Kouta back. Sure may not want to make Rurumo feel bad, but have to face reality and at least let her know what's up.
Old 2014-08-30, 21:12   Link #110
mangatron

Images
Swimsuits!
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Certainly for Chiro that could be the case. Although I have to wonder what would be holding Kouta back. Sure may not want to make Rurumo feel bad, but have to face reality and at least let her know what's up.
I think he really wants her to finish her training. Considering "Rurumo must not know about" the tickets part, if he were to say anything, it would nullify all she's done so far.
Old 2014-08-30, 22:33   Link #111
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangatron View Post
Images
Swimsuits!
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Certainly props to Kouta willing to sacrifice life in order to undo the tops of some swimsuits . Also yeah, the school swimsuit under the witch outfit works .
Quote:
I think he really wants her to finish her training. Considering "Rurumo must not know about" the tickets part, if he were to say anything, it would nullify all she's done so far.
Must be a conflicting situation for Kouta. Obviously he doesn't want to use up the tickets any time soon since dying would be a downer. But certainly wants to help Rurumo out. In the end I guess he doesn't want to tell her since he knows how upset she may get. This was a girl willing to go back for a long prison term just to avoid having to kill him for the original wish. I wouldn't put it past Rurumo to do something to cancel out the contract and put herself into more trouble.
Old 2014-09-04, 01:03   Link #112
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Ep 9

I tell you...this is suuccchhhh a good series! So absurdly underated and once again displaying that gentle touch, even in eps where fanservicey subject matters come into focus like in this. The same material would come off in a sleazy manner in 95% of other examples, but both the context it comes up in the story and the character interactions around it come across as quite normal and everyday affairs, but with a faint dash of d'awww and...well...even something approaching tastefulness, I guess?

As for the ep itself, the interactions between Rurumo and Masako are both endearing and plain great in my book. I love how the series is able to take a side character and bring her to life! (By the way, when is that new anime series shown in this ep that Rurumo watched going to air? Total Miku Hatsune theme, and I definitely want to see it! )

Not only do we see Rurumo being influenced by her newfound friendship with Masako (and her initiation into anime fandom) but we also see yet another scene of self consciousness in her regarding Kouta.

Both the fright that Masako experiences with any potential drama resulting and the continued waking up of the sweet side of Rurumo's dandere personality (I am a total sucker for the dandere/kuudere storylines btw) are both handled "just right"; they are real and have been activated, so to speak, but it is not dwelt on overmuch or fanned for the sake of mining it out as an end in and of itself. That same delicate and tasteful touch appears again, and it WORKS.

Also, speaking of danderes...before I forget, the moment I am waiting and hoping for was shown in the OP for a split second. I cannot wait to see Rurumo's face light up like this!

This is such a good series and is not only well done but consistent. Total kudos to the production team for it. It is very well done. Such a pity it is flying under so many people's radar.
Old 2014-09-04, 01:43   Link #113
garbage

well I'm with you, really funny stuff this week ^^, not delving into over the top fanservice that usually end being so tasteless in other shows. Definitely well made story.
Old 2014-09-04, 06:22   Link #114
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Just out of curiosity, does anyone else take the last shot of the ED to imply that Rurumo dreamed the whole learning to ride a bike sequence?
Old 2014-09-04, 06:56   Link #115
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Just out of curiosity, does anyone else take the last shot of the ED to imply that Rurumo dreamed the whole learning to ride a bike sequence?
The last scene of the ED? As far as I remember isn't the last scene her sitting on her broom and then looking down and blushing?

Or are you referring to something else?

If the former is what you are referring to I must admit it never occured to me to be referring to her remembering a dream...though I guess it could.
Old 2014-09-04, 06:59   Link #116
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
The last scene of the ED? As far as I remember isn't the last scene her sitting on her broom and then looking down and blushing?

Or are you referring to something else?

If the former is what you are referring to I must admit it never occured to me to be referring to her remembering a dream...though I guess it could.
That's the one. It just struck me for the first time this week, it had never occurred to me either - it feels to me like she's riding her broom and imagining it was a bike, and all the happy pretend memories of Kouta teaching her to ride it (that expression on her face is the kicker).

By the way, it should be pointed out that the heroine of "Love Hime" is named Princess Pettanko - so it may be time to acknowledge that Watanabe-sensei has a flat fetish.
Old 2014-09-04, 07:45   Link #117
Hypernova

Location: Virgo Supercluster, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Sol, Earth, Taiwan
Quote:
That's the one. It just struck me for the first time this week, it had never occurred to me either - it feels to me like she's riding her broom and imagining it was a bike, and all the happy pretend memories of Kouta teaching her to ride it (that expression on her face is the kicker).
You guys got it backwards, it's already stated a few ep's back she can't ride a broom. So she's happy that she managed to ride something. You can imagine that she tried the same with the broom for years but couldn't.
Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-04, 07:53   Link #118
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypernova View Post
You guys got it backwards, it's already stated a few ep's back she can't ride a broom. So she's happy that she managed to ride something. You can imagine that she tried the same with the broom for years but couldn't.
That makes sense, except I didn't remember them saying she couldn't ride the broom...
Old 2014-09-04, 08:20   Link #119
Hypernova

Location: Virgo Supercluster, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Sol, Earth, Taiwan
Quote:
That makes sense, except I didn't remember them saying she couldn't ride the broom...
Her witch friend. Can't recall the name.
Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-04, 20:50   Link #120
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Quote:
I didn't get that implication... rather I got the implication that she is too incapable to ride it herself without magic but is trying to make Kouta feel better for her physical inadequacy by using magic in a secret fashion.

I guess that isn't exactly much happier... but that was the gist I got from it.
dniv is offline   Reply With Quote