Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2018-03-17, 22:32   Link #241
LightningZERO
You are Dominated!
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Since Martin had no inner darkness, King couldn't possess him, so if Sophie hadn't opened his eyes to the horrible truth and had instead removed the ring as she originally intended, then he probably could have been saved. She feel for King's trap, showing her his shadow and making her think her brother was already a horror.
I feel awful for Martin. Everything just came crashing down on him.

Sophie's a kid and was played by the Horrors, but she should have been there for Martin and supported him when he went through all the traumas. Instead she blamed everything on him and tried to kill him, dealing him the final blow that made King possessed him.

Part of me was hoping the casts would actually agree that "yes, Sophie is sorta responsible" (in a more gentle manner than what Sophie did) instead of the standard "no, it's not your fault. It's the bad guy". At least Sophie has self awareness and intends to make up for it.

Ha ha. Zaruba is alive, complete with the same memories? What a surprise

Luke and Gina vs Knight and Queen. I am hoping more development from Knight. This guy has been bad so far. He got his ass handed by Sword while sprouting getting strong nonsense. But why he wants to be strong? Is he a horror or still human? If he wants to be strong and keep challenging strong opponents, why is he chilling in El Dorado? I really hope the series won't forget about him.
Old 2018-03-18, 04:05   Link #242
hadeskagemusha

Quote:
King was actually Frieza all along
Dude! What are you doing? You have a tournament to finish
hadeskagemusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-18, 13:30   Link #243
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningZERO View Post
Ha ha. Zaruba is alive, complete with the same memories? What a surprise
As much as I love Zaruba, I was disappointed there were no consequences to his sacrifice. In season 1 of the live action he at least lost his memories. I thought the same would happen here and that he would only come back at the very end.

Sword will most likely keep his power-up too while still having Zarubike, isn't that cheating?
Old 2018-03-18, 23:33   Link #244
B214

The undying Zarubike. It's regeneration is equivalent to that if a Phoenix.
B214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-23, 17:34   Link #245
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Episode 23 had some really awesome looking battles.

Glad Gina survived and destroyed Queen. I probably haven't been paying enough attention, but I had no idea Queen was a former Makai Alchemist. Not that it matters much in the end.

I feel bad for Luke. He went through all that development, yet he couldn't even scratch his father. Merely managed to slow him down. He would have died if Knight hadn't spared him too. I think the fact Knight spared him means he will give him his armor after he's defeated. No, I won't give up on Makai Knight Luke until the very end.

King turned out to be a fake last boss, Sword defeated him in one slash. The real last boss will be Knight, who is about to get his ass kicked for the third time in a row. Bishop will probably be saved for the inevitable movie.

Finally, I liked the cameos of the protagonists from previous Garo series. It was already confirmed in an interview a while back that the Garo anime series all took place in the same universe, but it's nice to get a confirmation in the series itself.
Old 2018-03-24, 03:56   Link #246
foxbox360
New Age Badass

King was a disappointing boss after all that hype but the callbacks to previous series was nice and so is the goten cycle.
Old 2018-03-24, 04:59   Link #247
PhoenixRising

Quote:
Episode 23 had some really awesome looking battles.

Glad Gina survived and destroyed Queen. I probably haven't been paying enough attention, but I had no idea Queen was a former Makai Alchemist. Not that it matters much in the end.

I feel bad for Luke. He went through all that development, yet he couldn't even scratch his father. Merely managed to slow him down. He would have died if Knight hadn't spared him too. I think the fact Knight spared him means he will give him his armor after he's defeated. No, I won't give up on Makai Knight Luke until the very end.

King turned out to be a fake last boss, Sword defeated him in one slash. The real last boss will be Knight, who is about to get his ass kicked for the third time in a row. Bishop will probably be saved for the inevitable movie.

Finally, I liked the cameos of the protagonists from previous Garo series. It was already confirmed in an interview a while back that the Garo anime series all took place in the same universe, but it's nice to get a confirmation in the series itself.
It's not really said and I didn't even realize that she was one until this episode, but I think it was more implied by Queen's plants.

I also won't give up on Makai Knight Luke either, since there's gonna be flash-forwards in the next episode, so it might happen.

I loved the cameos from the previous Garo series and I loved Sword's face at the episode.

Last edited by PhoenixRising; 2018-03-24 at 08:11.
PhoenixRising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-24, 05:29   Link #248
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Not gonna say a lot, so I'll just use some bullet points:
  • The fights are really good. Even Gina's pet gets to do something useful.
  • Oh, I love how Queen gets the full brunt of the madou gattling gun before Gina finished her off with double spear/naginata. That must've hurt .
  • Still, why Queen loved King so much anyway? That ugly alien has no charisma at all to seduce a chick, let alone a mature woman like Queen. Heck, a skeleton lich like Ains from Overlord has a lot more charm than King.
  • I was caught off-guard by the previous Garo shows' cameos. I thought there's only a loose connection between the Garo animes but this episode actually confirms that there's actual continuity here .
  • The music during the fights are good. It's like something closer to Gundam Unicorn. But then they just had to bookend it with the most out-of-place disco music I've encountered this season. Why?? Just..........why????
Old 2018-03-24, 08:03   Link #249
xeviouses

That cameo was awesome, which kinda implies the continuity of between the GARO animes.

How the heck is Sword gonna get out of that place?
Old 2018-03-30, 15:39   Link #250
Sides

I love the series and it is my favourite Garo incarnation for the time being.
Already missing this show ;_;
Unlike the other Garo shows, I actually like all the characters in this one, even the bad guys, for being bad. Plus this one didn't have horses in it, which is a big bonus.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-30, 17:28   Link #251
foxbox360
New Age Badass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
I love the series and it is my favourite Garo incarnation for the time being.
Already missing this show ;_;
Unlike the other Garo shows, I actually like all the characters in this one, even the bad guys, for being bad. Plus this one didn't have horses in it, which is a big bonus.
who needs magic horses when you got magic motorcycles
Old 2018-03-30, 17:47   Link #252
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I expected more out of Sword and Knight's final fight. It never reached the greatness of their very first one. In the end, Knight never even managed to injure Sword. Sword is probably the strongest Garo we've ever seen.

The highlight of the episode was the epilogue. I loved Gina and Sophie's new looks. Not very surprised that Sophie decided to become a Makai Alchemist. We had to wait until the end, but Luke finally became a Makai Knight, with a brand new armor! I'm looking forward to seeing Sophie and Luke display their new powers in the inevitable movie (in a few years...).

As for the more light hearted stuff, the three cooks of the chinese restaurant turning out to be ikemen was a real what the fuck? moment. The funniest part was of course the very end, with Sophie reaffirming her resolve to meet Sword again someday after she becomes stronger, with the ending playing in the background... then Sword comes out of the toilet and the music stops, leaving both of them speechless, and he just goes back in
That's actually a pretty fitting way to end the series.

I'm giving the show a 7/10 as a whole. The show peaked early with episode 7 and 8. I kept waiting for it to reach this level again, but it never quite did. Not enough armor action, the plot wasn't very interesting, and the road trip part lasted a bit too long. On the other hand, we had a really awesome cast of characters, and some battles were superb.
Old 2018-03-30, 21:40   Link #253
xeviouses

Quote:
I expected more out of Sword and Knight's final fight. It never reached the greatness of their very first one. In the end, Knight never even managed to injure Sword. Sword is probably the strongest Garo we've ever seen.
Heck, every time they fight it ends up in a curbstomp in Sword's favor. The best Knight could do was lightly bruise Sword with his internal organs.

That light-hearted final minutes though. It just fits so right as the ending.
Old 2018-03-30, 23:39   Link #254
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Solid episode. One thing I like about Sword’s general invincibility throughout the series is the consistency with the established world. Sword is a Garo (the strongest of all the makai knights) and he is also said to be strongest Garo in generations. Plus, he’s a mature sexually-developed Garo without all the teen angst or early-twenties angst and he can control and use his armor just fine. All those facts really adds to his OP-ness and the show just goes with it until the end without really nerving him. I like that. Someone like Sword is really the most fitting image for an ideal Garo, not angsty pretty boys (for me, at least).

Quote:
The funniest part was of course the very end, with Sophie reaffirming her resolve to meet Sword again someday after she becomes stronger, with the ending playing in the background... then Sword comes out of the toilet and the music stops, leaving both of them speechless, and he just goes back in
That's actually a pretty fitting way to end the series.
Yep, the final moments elevated the episode for me. I expected it to end in a usual sentimental way with Sophie not meeting Sword but the episode actually subvert my expectation for the better because that final comedic moments fits Sword and the series like a glove. I mean, this is a guy who offered fries & tacos to a child who were about to be eaten alive by a monster back in the first episode .

Quote:
I'm giving the show a 7/10 as a whole. The show peaked early with episode 7 and 8. I kept waiting for it to reach this level again, but it never quite did. Not enough armor action, the plot wasn't very interesting, and the road trip part lasted a bit too long. On the other hand, we had a really awesome cast of characters, and some battles were superb.
I more or less agree with this. There are many potential that this show couldn't live up to but it still ended up pretty good and entertaining.

Definitely close or even on par with Seal of Flames while the art-style is on par with all the previous series. I like how each Garo anime has distinct art-style making it difficult for me to rank them since they're all good (yes, even Crimson Moon) but the cheap animation often failed them during the presentation.
Old 2018-03-31, 09:05   Link #255
LightningZERO
You are Dominated!
*Author

It was a solid end. Overall the series was "OK". Maybe I watched too many Garo series and the whole plotline has been very predictable for me so I was looking forward to the fights. There were a few good fight episodes but the series definitely peaked with episode 7 and 8 (fantastic build up and fighting). The main characters are likable and Luke has been a surprise favorite of mine. Here's hoping a spinoff with his new armor.

The main threats are lame. The series has been steadily building towards El Dorado and the King. But he was a disappointment and got offed too fast. The 3 baddies, in their initial appearance, was menacing and interesting. What we got in the end was eh. Bishop was fun. Queen was ok. Some development from her would be great.

Knight was a colossal disappointment. With his connection to the casts by being a fallen Knight + Luke's father, I was expecting more. I still don't know why he fell to dark side. Want more power? Why? To fight stronger enemies? Then why was he chilling in El Dorado instead of travelling around and cutting down everything? He mentioned that some contract with the ring? When? Why? Was he even still human? It seems that's already a Horror based on his last moment? So many things in background not explained and he just appears to be some annoying mini boss that you just want to brush aside. There needs to be some more information on his obsession with strength and development into a dark knight so that we could take him seriously. In the end...we couldn't.

The series had potential...it could have been great, but between pacing issues, bad animation and occasionally brilliant moments, it just settles on OK for me.

Off to next Garo series then
Old 2018-03-31, 10:49   Link #256
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningZERO View Post
Knight was a colossal disappointment. With his connection to the casts by being a fallen Knight + Luke's father, I was expecting more. I still don't know why he fell to dark side. Want more power? Why? To fight stronger enemies? Then why was he chilling in El Dorado instead of travelling around and cutting down everything? He mentioned that some contract with the ring? When? Why? Was he even still human? It seems that's already a Horror based on his last moment? So many things in background not explained and he just appears to be some annoying mini boss that you just want to brush aside. There needs to be some more information on his obsession with strength and development into a dark knight so that we could take him seriously. In the end...we couldn't.
Knight wanted to etch his name in history as the strongest of all Makai Knights. That's pretty much it. He became a horror the moment he used the book. King's ring allowed him to control other horrors, so Knight met him at some point and fell under his control. Since he mentioned a contract, perhaps he was willing and not forced into it because King promised him he'd face strong opponents or something.

Maybe we'll get an OVA about him someday. Kiba/Barago also seemed like a pretty shallow villain until we got his background story in a special. Unlike Knight, he was actually threatening though, since he could easily kick the heroes' asses.
Old 2018-03-31, 19:24   Link #257
The 48th Ronin

7/10 for me, overall.

It's pretty good, but could've been better. Now, about that Garo Project #149...
The 48th Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-03-31, 21:19   Link #258
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

This is really Garo should be a knight that just a badass and drives a kicksass motorcycle

7/10 Wondering when this is getting a movie
Old 2018-03-31, 21:40   Link #259
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Yoma View Post
This is really Garo should be a knight that just a badass and drives a kicksass motorcycle

7/10 Wondering when this is getting a movie
Hopefully movie with a time skip with Sophie as an Makai Alchemist, Luke as a Makai Knight and Sword.
Old 2018-04-01, 00:09   Link #260
LightningZERO
You are Dominated!
*Author

Quote:
Maybe we'll get an OVA about him someday. Kiba/Barago also seemed like a pretty shallow villain until we got his background story in a special. Unlike Knight, he was actually threatening though, since he could easily kick the heroes' asses.
Kiba was the 1st dark knight and like you say, he mopped the floor with the heroes, both at the same time. He was mysterious and menacing so he was a good villain. The fact that he was actually hidden in plain side greatly added value to his villain score

Knight not so much. The "unlimited powaaa" obsession was ridiculous without proper focus.

Tags
action, garo, superhero