Its Ok 39 18.93%
Its just sucks 6 2.91%
They should flush all copies of it in the toilet 9 4.37%
Voters: 206. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2004-06-05, 03:19   Link #21
Radd
Just Married, Oct. 28th!

I think Cheesemon is missing out on why people start bashing the overpopular stuff, despite saying why in his own post. There are always those that balk at the mainstream and take the opposite opinion on something just so they can be different. Any show of sufficient popularity will gain such detractors.

The thing is, FMA seems to be popular, but not that popular. It hasn't gained the level of Naruto, DBZ, or Gundam Wing. It could very well gain that level of popularity over time, but it hasn't yet.

I was quite honestly surprised to see this thread in the first place, given that I haven't seen hordes of FMA fans singing it's praises, just the occaisional postive comment, and then only when asked.

As for how good the show is? My opinion, it's alright. I've seen much better, and much worse. I wouldn't mind watching more of it, but it's not high on my priorities. There's plenty of other shows I'd grab first.
Old 2004-06-05, 04:22   Link #22
7thMethuselah

Well overrated or not, It's fun to have an anime that has a more original and refreshing storyline every once in a while. FMA's story is great. Also I'm happy there are still shows that do not need fanservice at all.
Old 2004-06-05, 06:44   Link #23
Arya

I think FMA is a very good anime. I can't say more 'couse I've seen a scant number of anime. Anyway I guess that FMA has a plot doesn't need funservices, long fights or love stories to be interesting. The plot grows little by little and when you think you get it something happens that turns round it.
But... are one piece ,sailormoon, dbz so rated? I really don't know. What I know is that here in my country they are on air in the afternoon during child's programmes and this fact has made me being prejudiced against them .
Anyway I guess we have to wait the end of FMA to see how it is rated.

edit: it's one piece on air, not naruto

Last edited by Arya; 2004-06-05 at 07:53.
Old 2004-06-05, 07:30   Link #24
Ending

After watching some of the series, I can only say "It's OK." Some very good moments, some very bad moments. If the battles weren't that standard stuff and the protagonist a bit more adult (not to mention AI sounding like a girl ) I would had given it a better rating. A bit above average anyway.
Old 2004-06-05, 21:24   Link #25
7thMethuselah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirhe
After watching some of the series, I can only say "It's OK." Some very good moments, some very bad moments. If the battles weren't that standard stuff and the protagonist a bit more adult (not to mention AI sounding like a girl ) I would had given it a better rating. A bit above average anyway.
I don't know how far you went , but that is exactly how I felt at first, but as I watched more episodes it really started to shine, the main plot is amazing. Sure Edward is a little childish at times but that's part of his charm, Alphonse however is pretty useless most of the time.

I hope you didn't drop FMA it is one of the best ones (storywise) we've had in a while.
Old 2004-06-05, 23:56   Link #26
IntegraTypeR

Interesting story............ but the action is horrible.

I'll sum up a fight scene: a bunch of crap happens, ends.......
Old 2004-06-06, 11:38   Link #27
Angela Sanctisstessa
I'm a boy..K?

Send a message via ICQ to Angela Sanctisstessa Send a message via MSN to Angela Sanctisstessa Send a message via Yahoo to Angela Sanctisstessa
....FMA is one of the best manga/anime i hav read/seen besides flame of recca,meitantei conan,MAR and Angelic Layer..i luv the concept of using alchemy as the theme of the story
the characters are well created(if not designed), roy mustang..he acts hard outside but when hughes died he really "rains" and lt.hawkeye is darn strict..the way she trains her dog.i hope that wasn't my mum yeah..ed is kinda childish and hates of ppl to call him little,shortie but i'm starting 2 dislike al for doubting his own brother when he confronted No.66
Old 2004-06-06, 11:53   Link #28
7thMethuselah

Angela Sanctisstessa ; put spoilers between spoiler tags !!!!!
Old 2004-06-10, 08:07   Link #29
pontupo
Mad Yoda Steez

Send a message via AIM to pontupo
Hmmmm, I have to admit that my thoughts on this show are a little different after reading this thread. Personally, I'm not all that bothered by a lot of things when I'm first exposed to them, they just sort of roll off my back. I mean, really, there is so much crappy and rediculous humor in American television, I have just sort of gotten used to it so I don't really mind a little in anime. On reflection though, I see what many of you are saying about the humor at least. At any rate, I still think that it is a great story and anime. As everyone has said, not the greatest, but certainly not horrible either. I can definitely say that when FMA is released in the States I will at least rent it to see the rest. Until then, I'm not missing it that much.....
Old 2004-06-10, 10:15   Link #30
Ending

@ 7thMethuselah

I watched the first 8 episodes, but guess I have to download and check some of the later ones too (especially since they are supposed to be a bit more adult ). Just wish that those 'very bad moments' would at least cut to 'average moments...'
Old 2004-06-10, 17:53   Link #31
Fighter Volk
Thanks sakurabatou @ LJ

Heh. This appears to be the official thread of those who disliked FMA.

I've seen through 34, and I must say, that overall (all aspects considered), this is easily one of the best anime I've seen since Now and Then, Here and There. Definitely the best anime of '03, and shares its spot with Paranoia Agent for best of '04... it gets so much better after the few episodes. IMO, there's never been a significant low point story-wise, it's just so great...

But I can't vote for the first option because it is not, alas, the best anime ever. So I have to go for 'It's Good'.
Old 2004-06-10, 17:53   Link #32
Fighter Volk
Thanks sakurabatou @ LJ

Heh. This appears to be the official thread of those who disliked FMA.

I've seen through 34, and I must say, that overall (all aspects considered), this is one of the best anime I've seen since Now and Then, Here and There. Definitely the best anime of '03, and shares its spot with Paranoia Agent for best of '04... it gets so much better after the few episodes. IMO, there's never been a significant low point story-wise, it's just so great...

But I can't vote for the first option because it is not, alas, the best anime ever. So I have to go for 'It's Good'.
Old 2004-06-10, 19:53   Link #33
kaitou_candy
*Obsessor*

Wink

i voted good..i actually wanted to vote for dark and crazy..lol..but is not there anyhow.. it is definitely one of my fav anime..coz i think is really good..sometimes.. but definitely not the best in ther world and blah blah blah..coz different ppl have differen opionion,,and there's definitely something better out there. or out in the future..but is still a great anime..and i can't help it, but be hooked to it
Old 2004-06-10, 20:00   Link #34
Scrumhalf
Ed & Winry? :O

Send a message via MSN to Scrumhalf
Whoever started this thread is a nuthead...

Fullmetal Alchemist definately is one of the best series going around this time of the year. The fact that it's creative as it deals with two brothers searching for a certain aspect in the alchemy world - you couldn't ask for a better adventuristic series designed to target the mature audience.

So it's NOT overrated.
Old 2004-06-10, 23:51   Link #35
Grifis
Eternal Dreamer

Voted 'OK'. I think it's a fairly average anime. It seems overrated from my perspective. Watched up to 26 some eps and now it's officially in the list of abandoned titles after Chrno and soon Paranoid Agent (which is getting way too 'abstract' for me). Actually I stopped watching FMA after ep 1 but then I heard good things about it so I started watching it again and twenty something eps was how far I went before calling it quit. Didn't grab me for some reasons.

Grifis
Old 2004-06-11, 00:06   Link #36
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

I think it's "okay" bordering on "good". just my two cents anyway.

And I have to admit that I favor non-mainstream shows more and I generally think those mainstream shows are "okay" at best. my favorite shows are stuffs like Lain, Boogiepop Phantom, Kino no Tabi, Gunslinger Girl, Hundred Street Rumor Stories, Narutaru, Berserk, Gundam 0080, etc. etc. So you'll see me bash stuffs like Gundam Wing, Conan, DBZ, etc. etc. a lot. Fullmetal Alchemist, on the other hand, despite it's quite a heavily commercialized mainstream anime, is still quite decent and rather nice to watch IMO.
Old 2004-06-11, 01:32   Link #37
Radd
Just Married, Oct. 28th!

Ok, now that I'm starting to see more and more people posting in this thread about how great and wonderful FMA is, how it's the best of the year and all that, I'm starting to think that FMA is starting to become overrated.

Of course, the people that are making these comments also don't seem to understand what the term 'overrated' means.
Old 2004-06-12, 05:06   Link #38
Angela Sanctisstessa
I'm a boy..K?

Send a message via ICQ to Angela Sanctisstessa Send a message via MSN to Angela Sanctisstessa Send a message via Yahoo to Angela Sanctisstessa
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thMethuselah
Angela Sanctisstessa ; put spoilers between spoiler tags !!!!!
sorry....i don't know how to put it between spoliers tags.....
Old 2004-06-12, 09:47   Link #39
Darkforce
The Dark Alchemist

As you can probably guess I'm another FMA fan. Personally I think it's a great show so far and I can hardly find fault with it... the show moves along at a good pace, the music is excellent and animation is both colourful and detailed, character identification is really strong and the science/religion themes in the plot won't make your head ache anywhere near as much as Eva. My only problem is the repetition in the shows format; how Ed and Al travel somewhere, befriend some locals whom then hate them for being State alchemists... you get the idea, however this only seems to be a real problem in the early episodes.

For all those unhappy with the show it's too bad but their opinion nethertheless. I do think they should wait until the rest of the show has been released though and watch the rest before making any harsh judgements... that's like rating a film or book after only watching/reading the first two thirds if it and leaving the most important part. I just can't wait for the rest of the fansubs to arrive...

p.s Angela Sanctisstessa try reading the 'How to use Spoiler Tags!' topic.

Old 2004-06-12, 11:11   Link #40
Anthias

edited out

That was a big woops. Sorry guys, I didn't mean to delete the whole post. Don't I feel stupid.

Last edited by Anthias; 2004-06-13 at 08:50.
Closed Thread