AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Full Metal Panic

Notices

View Poll Results: Full Metal Panic Invisible Victory - Episode 1 Rating
Perfect 10 6 15.38%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 22 56.41%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 7 17.95%
7 out of 10 : Good 3 7.69%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 2.56%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2018-04-14, 07:20   Link #41
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
All the CG ASs in this episode still look a dozen times better than the handdrawn Behemoth in the first season though. So that's something at least .
I disagree. While the Behemoth isn't aethstetically great by any stretch, it was enough to convey its presence in term of size and sheer weight, while not looking out of place.

Meanwhile, the purple codarl at the very start of the episode was painfully obvious as CGI even when it wasn't in motion, but things went south when it is moving back to the transport ship.
Also, the way how the Arbalest moves in the trailer don't look "natural" at all when you consider the 2D environment and so on.
As usual, the real issue is how the CGI objects stand out way too much with the rest of anime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dniv View Post
I recommend against this until you watch season 1 and 2 and maybe 3 if you feel like it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
Yeah third season (Fumoffu) can be skipped without any harm, but missing great deal of fun
Fumoffu is the second season, not the third one chronologically (both in the canon order of the events and airing). Of course, it isn't required for TSR, but it is best to watch it for the kicks and also for the fact certain sidestories were supposed to be in the main story in S1, but cut for obvious reasons.

Also yeah, skipping the original series and TSR is a very very bad idea.
Old 2018-04-14, 07:38   Link #42
bercerus

trivia: look like sousuke's school bag PDW change from steyr SPP to XM8 compact. mythril probably get it cheap from HK. since its a no one use gun (้heard the only customer is malaysian SFG).
Old 2018-04-14, 08:16   Link #43
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
I disagree. While the Behemoth isn't aethstetically great by any stretch, it was enough to convey its presence in term of size and sheer weight, while not looking out of place.

Meanwhile, the purple codarl at the very start of the episode was painfully obvious as CGI even when it wasn't in motion, but things went south when it is moving back to the transport ship.
Also, the way how the Arbalest moves in the trailer don't look "natural" at all when you consider the 2D environment and so on.
As usual, the real issue is how the CGI objects stand out way too much with the rest of anime.
I don't think the show is really trying to mask the CGI mechs. It's there for everyone to see and the robot looks good so it's all cool. Like Rhodey said in Iron-Man 2 "I'm here. Deal with it. Let's move on" . CG mechs is just how Xebec mainly operates since the days of Zoids anime.

And I still prefer a dynamic CGI mech than a handdrawn (mostly) still-framed Behemoth of the first season. Speaking of witch, maybe we'll get to see Behemoth again done in CG. Let's see how it looks .
Old 2018-04-14, 09:15   Link #44
McW
Canaan II When?

It's been awhile, the first time I watch FMP! was on 2005 during the STR airing, watched FMP and Fumoffu back to back, watched STR on 2006 one year later everything on Spanish fansub. I used to rewatch everything once awhile but stopped at some point, the last time I rewatched STR was on 2010-11 but for some reason FMP was very memorable for me, so even picking up the first episode without rewatching anything for 7-8 years I didn't feel any need of recap because everything is still fresh in my mind.

The pacing felt fast but not neck breaking fast, I supposed it's necessary, or maybe the effects are less notorious because I read the novels and knows exactly what's gonna happen.
Old 2018-04-14, 10:35   Link #45
Sacredus

12 years of waiting for only 12ep... Let's hope it's split cour.
Old 2018-04-14, 11:08   Link #46
BluePhirePB

Was FMP: TSR widescreen HD? Or was it still SD/FS.
Old 2018-04-14, 12:01   Link #47
Darthtabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacredus View Post
I think a split cour is very likely. According to Mugen26, the Japanese DVD/Bluray releases for Invisible Victory are going to include the 12 part audio drama adaptation of DVMC. The three DVD/Bluray releases that have been announced so far each include four anime episodes and two parts of an audio drama. Assuming that's the DVMC audio drama, that implies there will be an additional three DVD/Bluray releases with another twelve episodes of anime.
Old 2018-04-14, 18:40   Link #48
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluePhirePB View Post
Was FMP: TSR widescreen HD? Or was it still SD/FS.
Widescreen HD is available for TSR:

Images
Large Screenshots!
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2018-04-14, 21:21   Link #49
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacredus View Post
Split-cour, second cour airing Fall, 2031.
Old 2018-04-14, 21:27   Link #50
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Split-cour, second cour airing Fall, 2031.
don't put that evil on us.

also, TSR's animation was so far ahead of it's time. it doesn't look out of place today.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
Old 2018-04-14, 21:29   Link #51
HtwoN

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
don't put that evil on us.

also, TSR's animation was so far ahead of it's time. it doesn't look out of place today.
It's Kyoani.

I bet you could say the same for Violet Evergarden 10 years later.
Old 2018-04-14, 21:45   Link #52
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

TSR's CG-choppers still look obvious in those screenshots though. Not even Kyoani is immune to that. This is what I'm trying to say to Klashikari above: CG moving objects will always look outta place in handdrawn anime if you observe it closer and carefully. You just can't help it unless the showrunners have the budget, the tech and the skill to do seamless CGI (or they wanna go full-CG like Sidonia). After we accept that fact, all that matters is whether or not the CGI itself looks good.
Old 2018-04-14, 22:28   Link #53
Applehell

Oof~ the pacing was definitely rather harsh, but I more or less got into the episode by 2ne half. I don't remember that much about the original FMP and 2nd Raid since it's been so long. Surprisingly, wasn't too hard for me to follow in-spite of that and I retained enough of the general context to keep up. Looking forward to the rest of the season.
Old 2018-04-15, 08:03   Link #54
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I thought it was a fantastic start. I wouldn't have wanted them to mess around with introductions anyway. They got right into the thick of it and I couldn't be happier. No time wasted. I guess it works better for me though because I watched FMP only about a year ago.

I don't care about the CGI though. I absolutely adore Kyoani's work on Second Raid but now that CGI mecha fights and gotten so good, I can't say I mind the loss.
Old 2018-04-15, 09:09   Link #55
MisterBaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I don't care about the CGI though. I absolutely adore Kyoani's work on Second Raid but now that CGI mecha fights and gotten so good, I can't say I mind the loss.
The CGI was surprisingly decent except for Fowler's Venom having a rather strange walk in one scene like he's flamboyantly gay. But otherwise, everything exceeded my expectations.
Wait for a decade and a half for CGI mecha to get good and only then go and push for the new anime based on your work... Gatoh, you magnificent bastard, I read your book! Literally.
Old 2018-04-15, 16:45   Link #56
Belgaesh

Man it's been such a long wait, that I even forgot most of it.
I read some sumaries and remembered most of it, but when I have some time I intend to rewatch the previous seasons.

But about the episode, it was a great start, the animation was top notch. And long five minutes, try 13 years, man I'm getting old.
Old 2018-04-15, 18:14   Link #57
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

New screenshot
Spoiler for size:
Old 2018-04-15, 18:43   Link #58
Alchemist007
*Author

They definitely didn't fuck around with the first episode. I wonder how much material they intend to cover per cour. I'm fine with the seasons being all business and maybe save some of the fumoffluffier (couldn't resist) material for ovas.
Old 2018-04-15, 19:18   Link #59
jwai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Pierrot View Post
New screenshot
Spoiler for size:
I don't recall seeing that ginger haired girl before. A new character?
Old 2018-04-15, 19:53   Link #60
Illsteir
ARX-Fake

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwai View Post
I don't recall seeing that ginger haired girl before. A new character?
Spoiler for The girl: