AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2012-07-25, 12:55   Link #1
james0246

London Olympics, Summer Games 2012

This is the general purpose Summer 2012 London Olympic Events thread. All discussion of the Summer Games shall occur in this thread (unless a spin-off is needed for a particular issue/topic). Please keep discussion civil and no bashing or maligning of other countries is allowed. Otherwise, feel free to discuss anything concerning the Olympic events and the various issues that surround the events. Have fun and here's to a good Games .
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-25, 13:07   Link #2
Kyuu
=^^=

My body is ready.

Sucks having to wait for the next NFL season. The Olympics will help bode some of that sporting void. And no, screw MLB.

Anyways, looking for many Golds for the USA.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-25, 13:10   Link #3
MUAHAHAHAHAHA
Hail the power of Fujoshi

I had the opportunity to watch the Olympic Torch Relay in Canterbury last week. Thank God it's just right in front of my house! Here's some pic:

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Will be heading to London soon to watch volleyball. Originally opted for badminton, but it's too damn expensive.

Old stuff but just a reminder that butthurt report form is here to help
MUAHAHAHAHAHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-25, 13:27   Link #4
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Keep the money flowing in the betting centres! [/sarcasm]

No seriously, there is no better spirit in supporting the Olympics than to bet whether an athlete or country wins or lose; or at least that is what some do and say.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-25, 13:37   Link #5
monir
cho~ kakkoii

I've a nagging suspicion James read News Stories before creating this thread.* She is hot as balls despite her politics..... I won't go into detail. Speaking of balls, the ladies representing US made a brutal comeback to bury France in soccer. The final score was 4-2. I saw some of it and it was still boring. Really, other than track and field, and swimming there is so little to look forward to.

edit: * Looking at the timecode of our individual posts, I stand corrected. James was randomly inspired. Good work, sir!
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-25, 13:43   Link #6
Paranoid Android
Underweight Food Hoarder

Send a message via MSN to Paranoid Android
I'm worried about being able to watch everything I want to. I'm not a TV person so I'm going to have to watch stream/recordings.

I don't have much of a canadian pride when it comes to summer olympics. I'll be watching solely for looking at people being awesome.

I wonder if UK have a shot a getting #1 in Gold's this summer. They placed 10th at Athens and 4th at Beijing. It's quite a huge hurdle though.
Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-25, 13:58   Link #7
Kyuu
=^^=

http://sg.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/oly...9637--oly.html

In this article: Bad Olympic photo ID pictures.

I don't see much wrong with Phelps's ID. Just your regular average Joe type picture. And I'm sure - by the time of competition, much of that hair will be shaven off.
Old 2012-07-25, 14:01   Link #8
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

I got a cousin competing in the Triathlon!

You better all be out there supporting Aileen Morrison!

I think here chances at a medal are pretty good, she's done fairly well in previous regional competitions, and the world cup. Here's hoping she gets the Gold!
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-25, 14:01   Link #9
Paranoid Android
Underweight Food Hoarder

Send a message via MSN to Paranoid Android
LOL Phelps oh you. That Russian woman is preeeeeeeeeettty *__*

Women's soccer prelim today:
http://www.london2012.com/football/s...y/all-day.html

Lol Cameroon vs Brazil (Why did i write cambodia)

I read 'DERP Korea' instead of 'DPR Korea'

*EDIT: Best wishes to your cousin, Don! But I'm gonna root for our Canadian flag bearer who holds the current triathlon record >: P (I guess it's not the same as they're different genders)

*EDIT 2: Wow Aileen had some amazing recent victories.

Last edited by Paranoid Android; 2012-07-25 at 15:10.
Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-25, 14:04   Link #10
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
I got a cousin competing in the Triathlon!

You better all be out there supporting Aileen Morrison!

I think here chances at a medal are pretty good, she's done fairly well in previous regional competitions, and the world cup. Here's hoping she gets the Gold!
Best of luck to her. That is easily one of the most grueling sport that validates what human mind and body in sync can do when pushed to the limit.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-25, 14:30   Link #11
kyp275
Meh

I'm still bitter that they took baseball out of the olympics, while adding golf
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-25, 14:51   Link #12
Kyuu
=^^=

Oh. The Women's soccer tournament had already started. And I'm already watching me some Olympics. Oh yea

Last edited by Kyuu; 2012-07-25 at 15:50.
Old 2012-07-25, 14:58   Link #13
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Hoping my countrymen in the Philippine team do get one gold at least.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-25, 15:38   Link #14
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
edit: * Looking at the timecode of our individual posts, I stand corrected. James was randomly inspired. Good work, sir!
I was watching the game as well and came to the startlingly revelation that Animesuki lacked its traditional Olympics thread (though I think we missed the 2006 events). (And yes, if Papachristou was a member here she would get a little ban for her words .)

That being said, I like most of the games. Track and Field is always fun (I still recall a time when I could do many of those activities...damn you aging process!), Swimming is a hoot, and even if Gymnastics is over hyped (and they never show all the countries competing) it is still a lot of fun. Honestly, I'm just going to use an excuse to vegetate in front of my TV for the next 2 weeks watching the 5 or 6 NBC channels I have cover all the events, DVRing anything I happen to miss...
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-25, 15:43   Link #15
Sir Maddy
~Feel like a sir.
*IT Support

I think for this year. I'll be watching swimming and a little bit of track and field.
Old 2012-07-25, 17:30   Link #16
Kyouka
Is Here

Unban Voula Papachristou!!!
Kyouka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-25, 17:48   Link #17
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post

A tall pint yer best ale, if you please

Now, it's over to you, London. Four years is a long time. When the time comes, I won't mind returning for a pint of bitter in Leceister Square or dunking myself silly at the Trafalgar fountain, all in the spirit of old times.

And if I'm still active in this forum by then, I look forward to sharing the Olympic Games with everyone once more!
I didn't think I'd still be active (well, sort of) in this forum four years later. Unfortunately, circumstances have changed and I won't have the time to follow this Olympics as closely as I did the one in Beijing. All the same, have fun, London and Britain. We could all use a welcome break from the current doom and gloom splashed across headlines around the world.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-25, 18:01   Link #18
AnimeFan188

Fortress London: UK protects Olympics with biggest security plan since World War II:

"The biggest peacetime security operation in Britain’s history is under way – an
$877-million civilian and military plan to protect athletes and visitors from threats
ranging from suicide bombers to organized criminals. But it has also turned some
London streets into military zones and Olympic venues into fortresses.

A simple glance at the main Olympic Park in East London confirms this will be the
most security-conscious Games in history: More than 11 miles of razor-wire-
topped electric fencing separates the site from its surroundings, every entrance is
guarded by soldiers and the surrounding streets and shopping malls are patrolled
by police carrying 9mm semi-automatic weapons – an unusual sight in Britain,
where armed patrols are normally found only at airports."

See:

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2...e-world-war-ii
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-25, 18:18   Link #19
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

Too bad, I was actually thinking of visiting London once and this year I would've had the time to do it.

I'm looking forward to finding out how much of the games will be getting covered in local TV here. If any big of the last big sports events are an indicator, live coverage might all get paywalled again.
That would be sad, cause I am more interested in some the low profile sports, that don't show up on TV otherwise and won't make it to the daily highlights either. I can see all the regular sports like football and tennis all year.

Hmmm.. by the way, is women's beach volleyball an olympic discipline?
Dhomochevsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-25, 18:19   Link #20
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

So, how many countries will send in legal lolis for their Gymnastic Team this time ?

I know China will, from what I had seen of photos from their media.
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
olympics