AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2016-10-13, 02:46   Link #441
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Not one for much double posting, but I figure a couple months later is alright.

A new season has arrived. I'm glad to have hockey back. Obviously a break is necessary, but still one of my favorite sports to watch.

Kind of a night that says "the future is the youth." McDavid with 2G and 3 points in Edmonton's crazy opener. That going along with the absolutely insane 4 goal debut performance from Auston Matthews! I mean....wow. There is just some incredible talent just starting out in the league and already impressing.
Old 2016-10-13, 20:48   Link #442
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

I thought about posting here when the World Cup of Hockey was played, but I wasn't sure about how people would react to it. Sure Canada won it, but it didn't leave the same kind of emotional impact that other senior international matches from the past left in Canadian spirits (Canada/USA, 2010 Olympics; Canada/Czech, 2004 World Cup; Canada/USA, 2002 Olympics; etc.)

I must say that Edmonton's new Rogers Place really looks gorgeous. In retrospect, I'm glad the Oilers won that one in typical Oilers fashion with lots of goals on both sides.

When you see the likes of McDavid, Matthews, Ekblad and MacKinnon being already dominant in their own right at a young age, it says how players now keep on becoming better at younger ages than their predecessors. Good times ahead for hockey.

Last edited by KiraYamatoFan; 2016-10-14 at 01:40.
KiraYamatoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-14, 00:18   Link #443
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Yeah, it didn't exactly have a big emotional finish. Mostly since I think people would have liked Canada facing anyone besides Europe. Either a country with some emotional connection there or the NA team with more excitement. Think even Canada found it hard to be overly emotional for that game.

It definitely serves as a flashy new arena. Got to go to the old building last season. It was still alright, but will be curious if I can get a game in at that new building sometime this year. Kind of fitting they won the first game with such a crazy game.

Really shows how it is becoming more and more a young stars league. Although the older (though still just around 30) stars are still very good, it's an exciting time. More and more talent is coming in and establishing itself at a younger age. It's fun.
Old 2017-04-10, 02:23   Link #444
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

So it's that time of the year again. A long season has passed and time for the playoffs . Some interesting matchups and certainly a fair number of teams I didn't expect to see in it this year.
Old 2017-04-10, 20:39   Link #445
justavisitor

Go sens Go!!! Been supporting Senators since Hossa was on the team. No reason to change now

With that being said, I am happy that we don't have to face the leafs as I am still being hunted by the awful playoff history with the leafs
I am a Ranka fan and I have significant experience in defending various "crimes" committed by Ranka, from her evil plan to terminate human races, to feeding inapporiate food to unknown lifeforms. If you think you find "new" charges aginst Ranka and you are interested, or you care to see how a particular Ranka fan would respond, please feel free to check my previous comment. There is a good chance that I have answered a similiar issue. And of course, my viewpoints do not necessarily represent other perspectivs from numerous Ranka fans in this planet
justavisitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-10, 21:36   Link #446
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Yeah, so many unexpected teams made it. Considering that no Canadian team made the playoffs last year, I'm really happy to see 5 Canadian teams in the final 16. Kudos to the Oilers for going as far as they did.

As usual, GO HABS GO!!! Have been following them since 1989, and saw them win the last Stanley Cup in 1993 with St. Patrick in goal. Bleu, blanc et rouge FTW!
KiraYamatoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-10, 22:22   Link #447
Toukairin
Banned

Nice! Didn't know this thread existed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraYamatoFan View Post
As usual, GO HABS GO!!! Have been following them since 1989, and saw them win the last Stanley Cup in 1993 with St. Patrick in goal. Bleu, blanc et rouge FTW!
Salut! Nice to see a fellow Habs fan here. Whenever I think of the playoffs, I can help but get pumped by listening to this song by local band Loco Locass since 2010. CBC did a great job adding the song to the intro at the beginning of Game 6 between Montreal and Pittsburgh that year. I have goosebumps listening to it ever since.

Allez! Allez, allez! Allez Montréal!
Toukairin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-10, 23:09   Link #448
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Go Leafs Go!

Been a long time since I've been able to cheer for this group in the playoffs. Get the hardest test out of the gate with Washington . Though the nice thing is that there is so much hope with this group. Just their first taste of the playoffs and they'll only get better.

With the lack of Canadian teams last year it is nice to have most of them in it this time. Some nice turnover and changes from last year to spice it up. Kind of curious to see how the Oilers and Flames do out in the West.
Quote:
Originally Posted by justavisitor View Post
Go sens Go!!! Been supporting Senators since Hossa was on the team. No reason to change now

With that being said, I am happy that we don't have to face the leafs as I am still being hunted by the awful playoff history with the leafs
I think that would have been a fun one . Get to really kick that rivalry back up a notch after a long time since the teams faced each other in the playoffs.
Old 2017-04-11, 17:33   Link #449
justavisitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Go Leafs Go!

I think that would have been a fun one . Get to really kick that rivalry back up a notch after a long time since the teams faced each other in the playoffs.
Not for us Almost nothing to gain (well, except going into the second round ) but everything to lose. Got to get rid of that playoff ghost against the leafs but not this year. This year's senators can beat anyone but at the same time they can easily lose to any team as well (even when we have Bruin's number this season)
I am a Ranka fan and I have significant experience in defending various "crimes" committed by Ranka, from her evil plan to terminate human races, to feeding inapporiate food to unknown lifeforms. If you think you find "new" charges aginst Ranka and you are interested, or you care to see how a particular Ranka fan would respond, please feel free to check my previous comment. There is a good chance that I have answered a similiar issue. And of course, my viewpoints do not necessarily represent other perspectivs from numerous Ranka fans in this planet
Old 2017-04-12, 00:19   Link #450
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Quote:
Originally Posted by justavisitor View Post
Not for us Almost nothing to gain (well, except going into the second round ) but everything to lose. Got to get rid of that playoff ghost against the leafs but not this year. This year's senators can beat anyone but at the same time they can easily lose to any team as well (even when we have Bruin's number this season)
I do think this might have been the best time to do it though. Rookie squad just making the playoffs might make them the easiest out.

But I can absolutely get preferring Boston with how badly they've done against Ontario based teams this year.
Old 2017-04-12, 17:46   Link #451
justavisitor

Speaking of Boston, every analyst tips Boston as the favorite against Ottawa because....that team has a far better Corsi...(kind of like puck possession I guess)...As of late, every hockey website treats statistic as the law of nature...It's time to prove them wrong, Ottawa!! (Somehow I am blaming this on the Barcelona's soccer team, their philosophy of possession apparently goes beyond soccer )
Old 2017-04-16, 00:45   Link #452
Toukairin
Banned

I didn't think about posting anything until either a few series are done or something big happened. However, you gotta see this:

That was from Game 2 between the Montreal Canadiens and the New York Rangers. It's not often that you have fisticuffs in the NHL playoffs nowadays, but Shea Weber really wrecked J.T. Miller on that one. Weber looks even scarier on the fan video here than on what was shown on regular TV.

Last edited by Toukairin; 2017-04-17 at 00:11.
Old 2017-04-16, 02:48   Link #453
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Damn, Weber is one scary guy. Certainly not what Montreal traded for, but I don't think they'd be complaining either .

So far it's close in the East and the West is less so. Though any of these series can still turn in any given direction. Although wow I'm shocked at how Chicago is being utterly shut down. Less so Pittsburgh dominating Columbus who haven't looked great the last few weeks period.

Honestly I didn't expect the Toronto/Washington series to be this close. Both games going to OT (and last one Double OT). Some fun hockey and just enjoyable to see the Leafs able to skate with a good team.

Anyways, should be fun as the series continue to unfold.
Old 2017-04-16, 21:11   Link #454
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
After kinda getting lost against New York in Game 1, the Habs had a nail-biter of a victory in Game 2, and then they entered into New York for Game 3. It was a truly successful trip. The Habs came, they saw, and they conquered, thanks in no small part to the Man-Mountain Shea Weber and that explosive highlight reel sweet-stick music by the great Russian Radulov. Hopefully the Habs get to go home in Game 5 to many cheering fans looking for autographs.

Great to see the Habs back in the playoffs, and I'm one very happy Habs fan right now. Have to give Toronto credit for doing pretty well in Washington, splitting two games there. Kinda surprising how poorly Chicago and Minnesota have done so far, but Chicago is one team I'm leery of counting out.
Old 2017-04-17, 21:09   Link #455
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

This is turning into one hell of a playoff series. Absolutely massive win for the Leafs tonight! Take the third game and now ahead 2-1. Third straight game going to OT.

An absolute character win. Down 2-0 early in the game, eventually down 3-1, but come back to win 4-3. You can't count these kids out. They don't believe in quitting or think anyone is beyond them to beat.

The rest of the series have been pretty interesting. Big win by Montreal against the Rangers and taking control of that series. Curious to see who comes out on top of the OT game between Ottawa and Boston. And wow if Nashville can win this game...that's a stranglehold.
Old 2017-04-17, 21:20   Link #456
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
The Leafs might just pull off the upset. The Capitals are frequently great in the regular season, but frequently struggle in the playoffs. Combine that with a Leafs team catching fire at the right time, and it might be too much for the Caps.
Old 2017-04-20, 23:08   Link #457
Toukairin
Banned

@Triple R: I sure didn't want to say it, but I feel like you jinxed our Habs when you posted here after Game 3. That's one big reason why I didn't want to talk about how the series goes until they are done. Right now, I'm utterly disgusted at the way our boys just can't find a way to finish the job when the Rangers are in the ropes, and it's costing big time.
Old 2017-04-23, 17:27   Link #458
justavisitor

Sens win!! Sens win!!! Yelling so loud at the winning goal, giving every single one of the family member a heart attack (I actually feel a bit bad right now...)

Hope the leafs win it, I am happy to be a leafs fans for one (hopefully at least two) more night(s). Go leafs Go!!
Old 2017-05-07, 01:02   Link #459
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Well at least Ottawa and Edmonton managed to escape the first round of the playoffs.

Didn't have much to say after the Leafs couldn't get past Washington. Though there is still optimism to be had in the learning experience that group. They'll be better going forward and can't wait to see them take another step.

If nothing else the playoffs are fun with all the drama. Series sure are great ways to create some serious rivalries. Though I'm guessing Washington is wishing they could stop running into the Penguins in the playoffs.
Old 2017-05-09, 21:24   Link #460
justavisitor

Sens win!! Sens win!! Yess!!! Watching the scoreboard most of the time, finally took action, got the tv back for the last 5 min

I don't know which opponent does Ottawa want to face. It's already beyond our expectation at this point I guess, but I would rather face a not 100% crosby rather than a team that finally exorcises its playoff demon

And go oilers go tmr night!!!

Tags
2010, hockey, nhl, playoffs, stanley cup