AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2018-07-05, 19:26   Link #1
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Live Action Hollywood Gundam Movie - General Discussion Thread

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...endary-1125241

Quote:
A live-action Gundam movie is in the works.

Legendary Entertainment will co-produce a feature based on the the popular anime from the Japanese animation studio Sunrise. The announcement was made Thursday at the 2018 Anime Expo, which is taking place in Los Angeles.

The Gundam movie will be overseen by Cale Boyter on behalf of Legendary with the Sunrise creative team.

Last edited by RRW; 2018-07-05 at 21:05.
RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-05, 19:43   Link #2
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

... you'd think they'd learn...
Old 2018-07-05, 19:53   Link #3
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Boy, if this project becomes reality, I really hope they go with an original story, but also still faithful to the core theme of Gundam which is conflict between Terrans and Spacenoids due to discrimination and oppression, grey area in war and in the larger scheme of things, and all the painful depiction of war. And of course good and memorable characters.

If they don’t have strong enough commitment and resources to back it up, trying to adapt Amuro & Char’s story and the whole UC conflict will only end up in failure one way or another. Thus, they need to make a good Gundam story based on the budget and resources that they have, like the first Matrix movie. And I don’t want this to turn into yet another forgettable Hollywood action movie. The Pacific Rim movies are entertaining mostly because they recreate the feeling of watching 70s Super Robot shows. Gundam should be different from those movies by default.
Old 2018-07-05, 20:26   Link #4
bakato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Boy, if this project becomes reality, I really hope they go with an original story, but also still faithful to the core theme of Gundam which is conflict between Terrans and Spacenoids due to discrimination and oppression, grey area in war and in the larger scheme of things, and all the painful depiction of war. And of course good and memorable characters.

If they don’t have strong enough commitment and resources to back it up, trying to adapt Amuro & Char’s story and the whole UC conflict will only end up in failure one way or another. Thus, they need to make a good Gundam story based on the budget and resources that they have, like the first Matrix movie. And I don’t want this to turn into yet another forgettable Hollywood action movie. The Pacific Rim movies are entertaining mostly because they recreate the feeling of watching 70s Super Robot shows. Gundam should be different from those movies by default.
...This is Hollywood.
Old 2018-07-05, 20:44   Link #5
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

I'm actually fairly optimistic about this, because Gundam by this point has covered so many stories that Hollywood can create their own spin on Universal Century and it'll actually work. Hell, they can even create their own original setting that they just slap the name "Gundam" into, and it would still fit considering what the non-UC entries are. Hell, the mecha designs don't even have to look like the iconic Gundams we know *cough* For The Barrel *cough* and it'll still fit (of course that'd be going a bridge too far... )

Essentially, Gundam does not have a strict canon that needs to be adhered to or even be respected, unlike with many other anime-to-live action adaptations so far, and thus the writers and creators for this one can go wild on whatever concepts they need as long as they retain the main themes and design of Gundam. You can't really "bastardize" the Gundam setting because the franchise itself has already done that repeatedly to itself (You can still hear the cries of the G-Gundam detractors to this day), and you can't "whitewash" it either because Gundam's characters are multinational anyways with mostly caucasians in the lead (apart from say Loran Cehack).

The only export adaptation that worked so far was All You Need Is Kill, which was adapted as The Edge Of Tomorrow, and that worked mostly because they kept only to the basics of the setting and then practically did their own thing while trying to make an actual good movie. Gundam is ideal for such types of adaptation, hence why I'm not really as apprehensive about it as with other Hollywood adaptations so far. And of course, we've already seen that they can animate mobile suits well in Hollywood with the RX-78-2 in Ready Player One, so we can be confident in the visual side at least.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-05, 20:54   Link #6
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

just to remind you guys

chance are this is what they mean by UC2 since that one is written as "foreign drama shows"

I dont think it will be direct sequel but take place after Unicorn, UC 104 (UC2 just working tittle anyway)

Last edited by RRW; 2018-07-05 at 21:13.
Old 2018-07-05, 21:53   Link #7
B214

I just can't feel optimistic about this.
B214 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-06, 00:53   Link #8
Faux Mecha
robot looks impractical

the amount of people in the comments typing G-SAVIOUR 2.0 proves that people still lose faith in live-action adaptations despite this is now a Hollywood production, not some Canadian studio who makes direct to TV shows.
Faux Mecha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-06, 00:56   Link #9
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Because Hollywood also has a shit track record when it comes to anime-based movies, that's why.
Old 2018-07-06, 01:15   Link #10
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakato View Post
...This is Hollywood.
Well, one can hope for good things, right?

So let's hope the adaptation will turn out more like Edge of Tomorrow and less like Johanson's GITS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post
just to remind you guys

chance are this is what they mean by UC2 since that one is written as "foreign drama shows"

I dont think it will be direct sequel but take place after Unicorn, UC 104 (UC2 just working tittle anyway)
That will be quite interesting. It will at least inspire more confidence in me since Sunrise/Bandai have been planning it for quite some time now. Let's just hope that it's a good plan with good execution.
Old 2018-07-06, 01:15   Link #11
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faux Mecha View Post
the amount of people in the comments typing G-SAVIOUR 2.0 proves that people still lose faith in live-action adaptations despite this is now a Hollywood production, not some Canadian studio who makes direct to TV shows.
As Rising Dragon above me mentions, Hollywood's track record with anime/manga adaptations isn't very good. The likes of Dragonball Evolution, Astro Boy, Speed Racer, Ghost In The Shell, etc. have pretty much cemented the idea that Hollywood adaptations of anime and manga are doomed to failure, which considering the evidence is a reasonable stance to take. You do have exceptions though like Edge of Tomorrow, but otherwise that's the exception and not the rule.

However, I am rather excited about this particular Gundam work, namely because as I outlined in previous posts, Gundam as a franchise does not suffer from the same issues that other anime and manga properties that have been adapted into Hollywood movies have, and thus it should have a lot more leeway than previous adaptations.

Ultimately of course, it's the technical qualities of the film and its writing quality that'll determine whether Gundam will be a Hollywood hit or flop, but at the very least Gundam has the advantage that the creators are free to make their own spin on Gundam and not have to worry about "destroying canon" or "whitewashing" or some such.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
Old 2018-07-06, 01:22   Link #12
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Old 2018-07-06, 07:08   Link #13
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

In hindsight, turns out Legendary did not kidding when they placed the Gundam & Anaheim cameo in Pacific Rim Uprising. They put it there with an exact purpose. Who would've thought?!
Old 2018-07-06, 07:28   Link #14
Faux Mecha
robot looks impractical

still wondering if choosing U.C. as the setting is the right choice, instead of creating a new alternate universe from scratch.
Faux Mecha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-06, 07:57   Link #15
Tenzen12

I don't really see problem here. Edge of Tomorow was great and Ghost in the Shell was decent Hollywood blockbuster that also double as homage of great anime. Matrix also worked well (at least first one), even if it isn't straight down adaptation. Bringing in Dragon ball also doesn't amount of much, it didn't have any ambition nor effort, even if it wasn't adapted anime it would still be bad.

As for Gundam itself I think something IBO-esque or 00 like aesthetic and story telling could work pretty well even with UC props.
Old 2018-07-06, 09:02   Link #16
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

Even not taking into account Hollywood--I don't think Gundam does well with movies unless it's linked to a pre-existing story (like CCA). With a 90-120 minute movie runtime there's just not enough time or space to allow for world-building or go into the depth of the politics or tech enough to make it appealing to Gundam fans or people who are new to the series--and let's not get into the point that the original US idea of Gundam was formed by series like Wing, not the original UC series.

I'm not seeing a G-Savior 2. I'm seeing a rehash of Pacific Rim 2. Lots of cool robots and fight scenes but 'eh' story at best.
wavehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-06, 09:17   Link #17
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehawk View Post

I'm not seeing a G-Savior 2. I'm seeing a rehash of Pacific Rim 2. Lots of cool robots and fight scenes but 'eh' story at best.
You realize that being Pacific Rim 2 is a step up from being a G-Savior 2?

Anyways, I would actually prefer them go completely original, because then they'd be able to make a story that's suited for a 2-hour film instead of trying to shoehorn in existing material into that runtime, since this film will likely be made to introduce international audiences to the idea of the Gundam.

Old 2018-07-06, 10:45   Link #18
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

make it like war in pocket or 08th ms team

small scale combat. but it connected to bigger war

Old 2018-07-06, 11:25   Link #19
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

An original story that fits a movie format is definitely the better choice in this case rather than trying to cram any source material into a feature-length movie *coughLastAirbendercoughDeathNotecough*. Make your own universe and don't skimp on story, characters and amazing action. Make a better version of Gundam F91 or something.
Old 2018-07-06, 12:25   Link #20
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

Hm, well this was sudden. I'm intrigued, but it's probably going to a long ass time before they get a cast and crew then start filming.
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote