AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Shin Sekai Yori

Notices

View Poll Results: Shin Sekai Yori - Episode 17 Rating
Perfect 10 12 22.64%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 16 30.19%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 22 41.51%
7 out of 10 : Good 1 1.89%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 3.77%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2013-01-25, 01:51   Link #1
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Shin Sekai Yori - Episode 17 Discussion / Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for Shin Sekai Yori, Episode 17.

Thread Guidelines
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Spoilers or hints about future events must not be posted in this thread.
    If you need to reference something that would spoil a future event, reply directly with a private message, or seek out a more appropriate thread.
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if it has not aired yet.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on-topic.
  • Do not post multiple times in a row. Please edit your existing post if you wish to add additional thoughts.
Episode Thread Spoiler Policy
  • Any comment that discloses events, characters, plot or other information before it is revealed in the anime is expressly forbidden whether or not it is behind spoiler tags.
    Spoiler tags should still be used where appropriate.
    Please consult the AnimeSuki Spoiler Policy for more information.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a useful title!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any inappropriate spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting inappropriate spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Old 2013-01-25, 14:29   Link #2
kuromitsu

OK, to get the bad things out of the way - what the hell is that ending? -_-)

Not that I didn't have a bad feeling after last week (and then after reading the lyrics), but is this for real, are we going to have this for the rest of the series? Serious shit is going down but hey, here's Maria singing an angsty love song and being angsty in general, because that's... relevant? somehow? for the rest of the series...? If it was a random JPop song I wouldn't even care, but they went through the trouble and spent all that money on an original song performed by a seiyuu in-character - why couldn't they make something that is actually relevant to the story, or at least doesn't totally exclude the rest of the group?

Such a pity. I guess it's not as bad as it could've been, and the visuals are pretty good, but again, why Maria, why only her? Overall it's a nice effort, would've been great for some other anime, but as a regular ending for this series it's such a misfire. :/

As for the good things...
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
This scene was so cute, they're both so lovely.

Images
I just want to cuddle his head and scratch his ears and his mane... Oh, but he's so cool. I guess it helps that he looks more like some weird sort of canid than a rat.

By the way, Kaburagi Shisei's voice, wow, can I just listen to it for a little longer? And while we're on the topic of seiyuu, Taneda Risa and Kaji Yuuki continue to do a great job, along with Namikawa Daisuke, why is that guy so awesome?

Also, it seems Yamauchi won't be doing the summer festival. (But I can't image he won't be doing any more eps, so which one will it be? Perhaps it will involve some bat shit...) From the preview it seems like ep 18 is going to be a very dense ep... I hope whoever directed and wrote it did a very good job.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2013-01-26 at 21:11. Reason: removed hints at future content
Old 2013-01-25, 17:13   Link #3
Key Board
Carbon

Sengoku Rats: The Animation

also it seems that someone has a secret weapon
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Old 2013-01-26, 02:47   Link #4
Entravity

There are so many things to discuss in this episode. First of all, the atmosphere is incredibly tense this time around. Perhaps, it's even more so than the others. A lot of predictions some people have made are coming true and it's definitely intriguing seeing that. The way the Queerats are gaining so much power and the way humans are reacting... gives me chills.

And the preview. Jesus, a few people are dead on about this. Looks like Shin Sekai Yori is achieving greater heights. Love this episode.
Old 2013-01-26, 03:11   Link #5
roon
_(:q 」∠)_ _(ФωФ*」∠)_
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
If it was a random JPop song I wouldn't even care, but they went through the trouble and spent all that money on an original song performed by a seiyuu in-character - why couldn't they make something that is actually relevant to the story, or at least doesn't totally exclude the rest of the group?
Don't quote me on it, but I believe do-it-yourself theme songs are cheaper than licensing out Jpop songs. Plus, Hanazawa Kana is no Mizuki Nana in regard to status, so everything about the endings for this show screams budget to me... but at least the first one had much more character-centric visuals. This one wasn't nearly as angsty as I expected once I heard the full song, but I somehow had the idea that the visuals wouldn't be so Maria-centric. Well, the landscape shots are beautiful?

As for the song itself, I like the full version due to the bridge having amazing drumming, so as a TV-size ED I don't think it's quite as powerful.

So basically, Saki and Maria's relationship is being pushed really hard, which seems to be exclusive to the anime.

ED banter aside, Kiroumaru is ridiculously awesome. But ugh, I really hope I get to see Kiroumaru punch Yakomaru in the face. Seriously. Everything about that guy just gives me the creeps and Tomiko proved why she's in such a prominent position when she saw through his sweet talk.

It was chilling seeing the bakenezumi not only with shields and rifles, but apparently drugs as well. They just keep pushing forward right under the noses of 'the Gods' and it's quite unnerving.

Speaking of unnerving... that preview, urgh. I'm sure it will be answered later on, but from the preview it seems that Saki and Satoru's memories of Maria and Mamoru weren't wiped...?

Sidenote, Taneda Risa's first line as a 26 year old (「はい!すぐ行きます!」) seriously sounded like Sawashiro Miyuki for a brief second. I really hope she gets more work from now on. Her acting throughout the show has been stellar.
Old 2013-01-26, 03:22   Link #6
Elestia

Well it was heavily hinted throughout that Squealer/Yakomaru has the cunning and political intrigue to pull off such an elaborate subterfuge. I really did enjoy how they portrayed the natural selection of Yakomaru, who in turn made a huge upset against Kiroumaru's entire Giant Hornet army. It is quite ironic, since originally Squealer was fated to die until the intervention of Saki's group. Now we are truly seeing the wrought consequences of this unnatural selection. The entire naked molerat observation room really highlighted the entire war's overall meaning quite nicely too.
Old 2013-01-26, 03:25   Link #7
charizardpal
灼眼の

I prefered Saki's clear, young voice a little better.

「心でなくちゃ、よく見えない。もののなかみは、目では見えない、ってこと。」

Last edited by charizardpal; 2013-01-26 at 04:14.
Old 2013-01-26, 04:46   Link #8
Gohan78
Awakened One

Good episode.
My only complaint is the abrupt transition between the meeting with the Queerat's leaders and the war. I guess the human leaders decided to leave the extermination of the Goat Moth colony in the hands of the Giant Hornets, right? It was weird because the humans didn't join the battle, yet they "cheered" for the Hornets.

I agree with the common opinion that the new ED visuals are beautiful but Wareta Ringo was a much better song.
(De Vermis Mysteriis)
Old 2013-01-26, 05:27   Link #9
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohan78 View Post
Good episode.
My only complaint is the abrupt transition between the meeting with the Queerat's leaders and the war. I guess the human leaders decided to leave the extermination of the Goat Moth colony in the hands of the Giant Hornets, right? It was weird because the humans didn't join the battle, yet they "cheered" for the Hornets.

I agree with the common opinion that the new ED visuals are beautiful but Wareta Ringo was a much better song.
From my point of view humans just decide not to do anything for now but the leader of Giant Hornets decided to start the war officially, so they just accepted this. Nothing strange here.
Old 2013-01-26, 05:31   Link #10
Rosalena
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

It's for episodes like this that I continue watching Shinsekai Yori. Although I felt a few things were clunky and a little confusing overall I thought it was a great episode. I even thought the animation was fairly decent this time--especially the new ending. Maria's song may be a bit odd, but the visuals are on par with the first ending (in my opinion, at least). I have a feeling the context will make more sense in the coming episodes.

Yakomaru sure does like his wardrobe changes, doesn't he? I half expect him to show up in gold armor á la Gilgamesh from Fate/stay night before the end. Oh, and I love the fact that the queerats have to fill out paper for absolutely everything. Need to sneeze? Fill out a form. Want to sing a song? Fill out a form. Want to ambush your enemies? Fill out a form.

My one complaint is that the music used during the bakenezumi battle sequence was very odd. It didn't fit the atmosphere at all.

I've been completely spoiled as to what happens in the novel so I'm eagerly looking forward to next week.
Old 2013-01-26, 08:06   Link #11
Blaat

Great tense episode and then the ending started, talk about mood killer.
Old 2013-01-26, 08:06   Link #12
Awrya
U mad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosalena View Post
Oh, and I love the fact that the queerats have to fill out paper for absolutely everything. Need to sneeze? Fill out a form. Want to sing a song? Fill out a form. Want to ambush your enemies? Fill out a form.
My thoughts exactly.

I wonder how old a bakenezumi can grow, a queen ant can live up to several years, while normal ants only live up to what, a year or so?

Kind of surprising to see them use guns, since they used bows and spears not too long ago. If they keep this pace up, maybe we will see bakenezumi use tanks in a few years.
Old 2013-01-26, 08:37   Link #13
ookamigirl

Saki grew up and so did Satoru.
Looks like a lot of time passed since the previous episode.
I'm interested to see where this is heading.
So far they're dealing with the queerats.
Seems like the colonies evolved to the point of power struggles and politics.

My Blog --> ookami
Old 2013-01-26, 09:16   Link #14
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

So they really did change the ending. I'm already missing the previous one. [mod edit: removed allusions to novel reader comments]

Yakomaru is as revolting and cunning as ever. You know he's the one who planned everything. So far, he seems to be successful, which is bad news for everybody else. Humans should be more wary of him, he's not going to stop at crushing other Queerats colonies.

Adult Saki and Satoru both look lovely. Seems like they didn't become lovers and remained friends, though I suppose it's possible they went out at some point during the last 12 years. They apparently had a little falling out over something insignificant, I'm glad they made up already. They ought to stick together.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2013-01-26 at 21:11.
Old 2013-01-26, 10:07   Link #15
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by roon View Post
Don't quote me on it, but I believe do-it-yourself theme songs are cheaper than licensing out Jpop songs. Plus, Hanazawa Kana is no Mizuki Nana in regard to status, so everything about the endings for this show screams budget to me... but at least the first one had much more character-centric visuals. This one wasn't nearly as angsty as I expected once I heard the full song, but I somehow had the idea that the visuals wouldn't be so Maria-centric. Well, the landscape shots are beautiful?
Ah, I just meant that when they license a song, they get a finished product. All the anime production staff do on their own is the ending animation (plus cutting the song to the necessary length). But here they put effort into creating their own song, writing their own lyrics, using one of the seiyuu to sing in-character. They had all the creative control over it. And we ended up with.... this. ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
So basically, Saki and Maria's relationship is being pushed really hard, which seems to be exclusive to the anime.
Well, there's also the manga... But the manga is a different story with different characters so it doesn't count.

Quote:
ED banter aside, Kiroumaru is ridiculously awesome. But ugh, I really hope I get to see Kiroumaru punch Yakomaru in the face. Seriously.
Kiroumaru is awesome, isn't he? He's pretty much the coolest character in the show. Sq-- Yakomaru, though, I think he's also awesome at being a slimy snake. xD He and Kiroumaru are such perfect foils for each other, I'd watch a show just about the two of them.

Quote:
Sidenote, Taneda Risa's first line as a 26 year old (「はい!すぐ行きます!」) seriously sounded like Sawashiro Miyuki for a brief second. I really hope she gets more work from now on. Her acting throughout the show has been stellar.
She's so awesome, at this point I think it's a pity they didn't use her for 36 yr-old Saki... Though I guess she's just too young to voice a 36 year old woman convincingly.

By the way, Hino Koufuu sounded familiar so I looked at the cast list, and wow, it's Taniyama Kishou. If I listen to him now, yes, I can identify him, but I didn't expect him in this role.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2013-01-26 at 21:10. Reason: removed hint at future content
Old 2013-01-26, 12:12   Link #16
ChronoReverse

Yeah, there's only one way that one side could have prevailed so predictions all coming true.

Also, new ED sucks.
Old 2013-01-26, 13:21   Link #17
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

While I'm sure most people are smart enough to guess what is next, please refrain from getting ahead of yourselves. Spoiler discussion goes in spoiler threads, blah blah blah.
Old 2013-01-26, 13:56   Link #18
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
I guess it's not as bad as it could've been, and the visuals are pretty good, but again, why Maria, why only her?
Because Pony Canyon and Sony want to push Kanazawa's new singing career, I'd guess. The CD containing both endings was released yesterday. Her newest single, Silent Snow, was released last week, and an album entitled "claire" is scheduled to appear from Aniplex next month. It looks like the beginning of a number of releases by Kanazawa over the next couple of months.

Personally I find her singing talents to be limited at best, but this seems to be a path that many hot seiyuu follow regardless of whether they actually can sing.

TL;DR…

As for this episode's content, I kept thinking of Saki and company as some future version of the Security Council. The whole concept is just so strange with controlled warfare upon application to the humans. I'm wondering where the telekinesis issues will return. Obviously it is used as a means of control over the other species, but having spent over four months on how threatening these powers are and how they must be managed, it seemed surprising that all those issues are now put aside once they have grown up. Might we see a non-human develop these talents and challenge the entire order?

Were those just ordinary sunglasses Saki was wearing, or do they have some sort of special power? It wasn't obvious at all from watching the episode why she was wearing them.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2013-01-26 at 14:24.
Old 2013-01-26, 14:47   Link #19
zyta

Send a message via MSN to zyta
I can't keep up with all of the new colonies. I tried watching it a few more times and still didn't understand who was on what side. Now I know the Giant Hornets and the Robber Fly, but all the others and their position left me confused. Can someone please explain the war for me?
Old 2013-01-26, 14:53   Link #20
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Wow Yakomaru is getting more intense. Interesting career choice for Saki. Wow the battle had shields, rifles, and drugs. They really are advancing. From the preview looks like things get even worse. They should have listened to that one elder that said to wipe out half of the bakenezmi. THough i liked how they need to fill out a form to go to war.