AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2006-11-20, 18:10   Link #41
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
Funny, because that's the very shot I was thinking of, and to me it looks more like a "surreal artistic imagery", rather than straight-laced in-your-face science-fiction.
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-20, 18:15   Link #42
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

... D:
So... pretty. Kanon looks like South Park in comparison.
The shot where the two kids were running down the street around that corner was so smooth that I got goosebumps. Now, not only are his backgrounds amazing, but the people look just as good. Just... wow.
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-20, 18:30   Link #43
Sakuya
*Artist

I was also amazed by the imagery but I guess that's already been mentioned in the...many posts before. I really like the music here and it has the same feel as in the score used in Kumo no Mukou. Although I was surprised when the male voice started singing because I was expecting a female voice to sing this beautiful piece. But either way, it still sounds beautiful and matches the breathtaking visuals so well.

I am definitely getting this OST too. Anyone know what other shows Tenmon composed for?

Edit:
I wonder if this is drawn or was an actual photo retouched using Photoshop? Or both? I want his skills! *_*
http://i.yimg.jp/images/evt/5cm/4/kabegami_5cm3m.jpg

Last edited by Sakuya; 2006-11-20 at 19:50.
Sakuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-20, 19:52   Link #44
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
The song is by Masayoshi Yamazaki. It's called "One more time, one more chance", and it's actually his first hit, which came out in 1996.

I don't know who does the incidental music, but I am betting that it's Tenmon's work yet again.

Quote:
Anyone know what other shows Tenmon composed for?
Tenmon did the music for every Shinkai anime, and he also composes music for the erotic games for the minori company where he and Shinkai work on and off.
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-20, 20:14   Link #45
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakuya View Post
I am definitely getting this OST too. Anyone know what other shows Tenmon composed for?
All of Shinkai-san's other movies, as well as some minori games such as "Haru no Ashioto". Most of minori's games featured OP movies directed by Shinkai as well (such as their newest game installment, ef -the first tale-, which is quite a topic among fans right now).
(the OP: http://stage6.divx.com/content/show/1039261 )

Quote:
Edit:
I wonder if this is drawn or was an actual photo retouched using Photoshop? Or both? I want his skills! *_*
Most of them are photoshopped images based on real photos. Although there are a lot of artworks involved in creating them too.

By the way, that new Byousoku trailer will only be up for 7 days, so grab it while you can?
Sushi-Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-22, 19:10   Link #46
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
cant wait i read about 5 cm in the october issue of Newtype plus Shinkai is a god, I loved Voices of a distant star and The place promised in our early days both of which i have watched over and over. His work is almost like living poetry
Old 2006-11-22, 20:32   Link #47
Fixen
ZnT Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProphet View Post
The song is by Masayoshi Yamazaki. It's called "One more time, one more chance", and it's actually his first hit, which came out in 1996.

I don't know who does the incidental music, but I am betting that it's Tenmon's work yet again.

Tenmon did the music for every Shinkai anime, and he also composes music for the erotic games for the minori company where he and Shinkai work on and off.
Speaking of which, does anyone know where to get Masayoshi Yamazaki's music? I can't find it anywhere on the internet (not even BT in every tracker I can think of).
Fixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-23, 00:02   Link #48
ZeRoGravity

Hopefully it won't be as dialog heavy as Promised Place. Although that is my favourite, there were times I got a bit bored during the movie.
Old 2006-11-23, 01:37   Link #49
arias

Quote:
Edit:

They're probably based off photos to some extent, but Shinkai has some pretty damn godly skills for background art -- it obviously shows since his earlier work. I particularly like his ultra-saturated colors which reminds me of Evangelion manga covers. I'm really envious of his skills.

I also actually friggin teared - not cried -, at the first trailer. The aesthetic experience was incredible.. it wasn't exactly the emotional content but really the coming together of the music and the motion of the art.
arias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-24, 00:26   Link #50
rageguy

the 720p hd version of the new promo is absolutely beautiful. stunning. jaw dropping. watched it over and over again.
rageguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-25, 11:23   Link #51
wontaek

Is there anyway to petition movie theater chains in USA to show this on the big screens?
Old 2006-11-25, 13:05   Link #52
Lost

This is going to be an absolute eye-fest. The part that got me in this new trailer was the one where the lights over the dark classroom switched on.

Ah, imgshack decided to start working. This scene.

Last edited by Lost; 2006-11-25 at 13:22.
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-25, 13:29   Link #53
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
oh my gosh...insane beauty...everything is soo shiny
the whole trailer felt like its been hand painted by some master artist...only moving...my gosh the budget must be sky high O.o but very impressive...even the reflection on the waxed floor of the school corridor looks insane...

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-26, 01:18   Link #54
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wontaek View Post
Is there anyway to petition movie theater chains in USA to show this on the big screens?
Theaters in the US only recognize the words "Miyazaki", "Disney" and "Sony" when you talk about anime imo.
Old 2006-11-26, 03:29   Link #55
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I believe the only phrase I can come up with is:

"My god. Its full of stars."
Old 2006-11-26, 09:29   Link #56
Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
the whole trailer felt like its been hand-painted by some master artist...only moving...
Actually that word describes it pretty well. And if I've got my facts about Makoto's earlier works correct, thats a pretty accurate word to use too. I dont think it has that huge a budget actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
I believe the only phrase I can come up with is:

"My god. Its full of stars."
Lol. Thats good too..
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-26, 13:03   Link #57
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Very pretty.

I'll have to give thanks to Omni and his blog site for convincing me to check out both trailers for this.
Old 2006-11-26, 15:58   Link #58
Quajafrie
Not here anymore!

It's really amazing how Makoto Shinkai can make pictures look so alive; he draws different objects in a magnificent way - realistic and cartoon-ishly beautiful at the same time. There's no other person like him.

I have watched the trailer over 50 times; no kidding! It's so good that I can't really watch a tv anime right now. The song is also very good, and it matches surprisingly well with the animation.
Quajafrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-27, 02:21   Link #59
Cal-Reflector

Prior to seeing the two high-def trailers, it had been established in my survey of anime that the best 3-D CG animation graphics was Advent Children, and the best 2-D animation graphics was "Beyond the Clouds." Ghibli fans may contest the latter claim with much merit, but the point I make is conveyed; Makoto Shinkai does some incredible work.

With Miyazaki's eventual retirement an inevitability, many fans and critics have wandered about who, if any, might become the Next One. Makoto, possessing a distinctive art style, a powerful form of story telling is certainly a compelling candidate to pick up the torch.

He is of course young and its far too premature in his career to start discussing greatness; Shinkai's style is modern and minimalist in its realism, and I feel that it lacks still the element of the Fantastic which Ghibli films have used over the decades to really grab audiences, young and old alike, across international boundaries.

His work is good enough, however, that I would reccomend them as gateway anime with which to "shock and awe" first time anime viewers with, for he succeeds in one critical area: Changing the popular foreign perception that animation cannot be as successful a medium in telling serious stories like movies can; his works makes people take anime seriously.

Looking forward to this tremendously.

Contributing to the accolades lavished upon the visuals, I quote myself on my review for "Beyond the Clouds: The Promised Place:"

The graphics are so good, every screenshot could be my wallpaper.
Old 2006-11-27, 12:42   Link #60
Srin Tuar
無謀

Awesome animation. Man, I hope the show is that good. Even half that good is awesome.

Anyway, question from the trailer: He askes her an one point "Have you ever been to "Tojii?".
Does anyone know the place he's talking about?
Srin Tuar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coming of age, drama, romance, shinkai