AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2008-07-24, 09:31   Link #161
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starks View Post
PD was created to accommodate the gigabit connections and terabyte hard drives that are now pretty commonplace in Japan.
Uh, well let's not exaggerate.

The highest speed internet you can get normally is 100 Mbit, not 1Gbit, since even if you have a direct connection to a Gbit fiber line it's shared and you connect with cat 5e or VDSL lines with maximum speeds of 100 Mbit. To get a full 1Gbit line would require a business-level ISP contract and be extremely expensive, plus would also require your own dedicated fiber line which would cost $1000s of dollars to install.

And hard drives are no bigger or cheaper in Japan than they are in the US. Heck I still buy Seagate and/or maxwell HD's here in Tokyo since they are the cheapest and most reliable OEMs I can get.

So to set the record straight most people in Tokyo have 10 Mbit-100 Mbit connections over DSL or shared fiber connections, with computers that are no more powerful than US computers.
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-24, 11:43   Link #162
pichu
*Fansubber

Obviously, Japanese aren't getting "more powerful computers" than USA's... because they use computers whose processors (CPU and GPU)--the main building block of computers--are designed in Americas. The fabrication plants are in Asia though.
pichu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-27, 07:41   Link #163
fireshark
CRF Believer
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to fireshark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starks View Post
PD was created to accommodate the gigabit connections and terabyte hard drives that are now pretty commonplace in Japan.
PD was created to force share things and also as an alternative to Share which just got bot'd. It's as if a fatal security flaw was uncovered in BitTorrent which showed all the peers of a torrent... oh, wait...
fireshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-09, 15:57   Link #164
Dnous
wut

I wonder where he got that idea in the first place >_>;. (+1 for responding to a post that's a few months old)
Dnous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-11, 15:58   Link #165
Starks
I see what you did there!
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Starks
Stupid question but...

Have auto-download triggers made it into PD yet?
Old 2008-10-11, 19:42   Link #166
Scab
Saizen
*Fansubber

Nope. Not that you really need it; things don't show up and then disappear from your search results the way they do in Share. I suppose it would be convenient to auto-download, but when you can actually trust the search results, it's pretty simple to just check if something new has showed up every few hours or so.
Scab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-12, 22:09   Link #167
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scab View Post
Nope. Not that you really need it; things don't show up and then disappear from your search results the way they do in Share. I suppose it would be convenient to auto-download, but when you can actually trust the search results, it's pretty simple to just check if something new has showed up every few hours or so.
Yeah, PD's search function works like what happens if you set up a trigger in Share and click "save to DB only". It keeps track of anything you see for the entire session.
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-25, 05:31   Link #168
andy_blah
~Buri Buri!~
*Fansubber

A noob question here: Do I have to upload something in order to be able to download something? If so then, I'm doomed because of low disk space T.T
andy_blah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-25, 06:09   Link #169
cyberbeing

Perfect Dark will automatically download (you can also add things to cache manually) 2GB of cache (Unity) before it will let you download anything you specify. Eventually Perfect Dark will fill the 40GB minimum cache it sets (and it gets upset if you delete it) with your downloads and other random things, so if you don't have at least 40GB of free space to dedicate to its cache, Perfect Dark is not for you.
Old 2008-10-25, 06:15   Link #170
andy_blah
~Buri Buri!~
*Fansubber

Ah, that's too bad, I was amazed of how many RAWs I found with it in contrast with Share, unfortunately my HDD has a capacity of 40GB only T.T

Thank-you for your reply tho ^_^
Old 2008-10-25, 06:25   Link #171
cyberbeing

Well I guess you could probably use it until your disk starts becoming full and then just delete everything and start over, but I'm not sure how efficient that would be.
Old 2008-10-25, 06:30   Link #172
andy_blah
~Buri Buri!~
*Fansubber

Yes, but anything that I add on the download list does not start, as in Share, only some times when I get lucky downloading with 100-150kB/sec. Is it supposed to do that (because of offline users) or there is something wrong going on?
Old 2008-10-25, 06:40   Link #173
cyberbeing

Perfect Dark sometimes takes a lot longer then Share for downloads to start and complete. As with all Japanese P2P (Winny, Share, Perfect Dark) if you're not lucky enough to connect to a person that has the file you want (a problem in particular for older and less popular files) it may stay incomplete indefinitely, and that should be viewed as normal. Other times the person you connect to won't have the full file and just send you parts, which is also normal. If say a brand new raw of a popular show appears shortly after airing in Japan and you're not able to at least begin downloading it from anybody within a day or so, then you may have some other issue.
Old 2008-10-25, 07:02   Link #174
andy_blah
~Buri Buri!~
*Fansubber

I have added some files to the cache folder, and it still says that it has to download 2GB of cache. In this case should I "refresh"(to clean the folder besides the files I placed there) the cache? I assume that I have to place those files to the root of the cache folder, right?
Old 2008-10-25, 07:14   Link #175
cyberbeing

First click information tab, then click the upload file button. From there click add and select your file(s). If possible you should also tag them correctly in Japanese. Afterwards click Upload and Perfect Dark will encrypt and add them to the cache (Unity). Moving files directly to the unity folder will not work.
Old 2008-10-25, 07:25   Link #176
andy_blah
~Buri Buri!~
*Fansubber

Oh, my bad, by saying to add cache manually I was thinking of moving some files, silly me

This would mean for those files to occupy 2 times the space on the disk *sigh*

And let's say that the download finishes, will I have to do something after that?

And also I wanted to ask if .iso files are safe to be downloading ?(they have the size of a DVD, so I suppose that they have good content)
Old 2008-10-25, 09:58   Link #177
Doughnuts

When a download finishes, the download will also take up double space on the disk, since it'll remain in the unity too. The reason the cache needs to duplicate files is because they're pre-encrypted before being transferred.

iso files are usually safe to download, but there's always chance they can be fake or contain malware. Sometimes you might see in your search results people will upload junk text files named with a copy of the file name followed by 偽物 to indicate the file in question is a fake. An iso can't execute anthing on your machine, so you're safe to just download them, but after the iso image is burnt to a disc, there's chance that it could contain malware etc. If the image is a DVD video, it's safe, but if it contains binaries there's a chance they could be malware. If you're paranoid run a virus scanner (and disable autorun of course)
Doughnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-25, 10:09   Link #178
andy_blah
~Buri Buri!~
*Fansubber

Yes, in the meantime I have documented myself and found out that PD encript files and uploads/downloads them by this way, and now I can understand why it does this duplication, tho it is quite wastefull, but probably encurages japanese people to share without the fear to be caught and thrown in prison ^_^

Also found out that it can generate a preview of what it downloaded, and for me, that's an SMASHING feauture

Thank-you both for the information, and I will come back if I have other queries
Old 2008-10-25, 10:25   Link #179
comatose

Is there a way to send a message to the person who originally added a file, so I can thank him, for example?

I guess not, since people send messages through files (e.g. the txts with "fake" at the end)
comatose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-25, 13:14   Link #180
Nagato
幻想郷

You visit their board, Thank You Board, or simply write it on the "flow"

Tags
p2p, perfect dark