Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-10-09, 21:04   Link #1
Kytherno
12th Supernova

Looking fo' animez

I don't really have a specific genre in mind...but..

I'm looking for an unlicensed anime that has action, and preferably a little comedy (Not so much that it overwhelms the action). Like One Piece

Or an anime that has a good story to it, preferably about someone's attempt at changing the world or something just as important. Like Death Note/Code Geass

Or maybe a serious anime with action in it.
Old 2009-10-09, 21:41   Link #2
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood? Has it been licensed yet?

Most of the ones I know are already licensed.
Old 2009-10-09, 22:03   Link #3
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I'm going to suggest Kure-nai which is an unusual mix of action, comedy, and slice-of-life components. At base the story is very serious, but the witty script and excellent voice acting add touches of humor throughout.

Now that Monster has been licensed, the list of serious unlicensed shows with action is pretty slim.

Dennou Coil has elaborate battles in cyberspace, but otherwise the ten-year-olds in the cast don't mix it up all that much. Sky Girls has the usual cast of lolis in flying mechas saving the world from alien invasion, but it has its tongue planted firmly in its cheek. The "DVD Specials" from this show are pretty hilarious, though, as they are all parodies of the show itself. Nijuu Mensou no Musume is a bit more serious, but it also has a young female protagonist which may not be what you're seeking. Shion no Ou, with another loli principal, mixes murder with Shougi (Japanese chess); the action takes place on the Shougi board.

One older series that you can watch for free at Hulu is Gun Frontier, a strange revision of the American West where the native Americans are replaced by oppressed Japanese. It's got both action and comedy and a pretty sexy female lead as well. The excellent Baccano! is available streamed at Hulu and Funimation.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2009-10-09 at 22:13.
Old 2009-10-10, 00:07   Link #4
Izayoi
I LOVE FLAN_CHAN
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Izayoi
I am recommending Shounens, yes Shounens in another aspect obviously.

Fairy Tail - Another long series of One Piece, actually it is One Piece except in a different world. (I think it is just coming out)
Rave - I don't know, is there an anime of this? I don't think so. The manga is similar to one piece though
Soul Eater - Your shounen, action with a bit of comedy

Arg... too lazied to recommend the rest of general shounens. Well I actually only recommended one that is actually out airing.
Old 2009-10-10, 10:39   Link #5
Raiga
tl;dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood? Has it been licensed yet?
Yup. Funimation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izayoi View Post
Soul Eater - Your shounen, action with a bit of comedy
Also licensed by Funimation, though it's not out yet I think...