AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2010-11-11, 03:33   Link #1861
Paladinoras
Pancakes

At any rate, I just want to see the new goddamn SEED movie. I don't wanna beat a dead horse and say how bad Destiny is, for what's worth, I enjoyed it, and I doubt anyone here can honestly say they won't see a new SEED movie.

Credit to Godlike1889 for the sig!
Paladinoras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-11, 05:04   Link #1862
jonli
JONLIの憂'

^ Like I said earlier, I really doubt that they would revive the CE universe. Mainly because if they really wanted to they really don't have to wait for Fukuda and Morosawa, they could just do it without them. Personally I find the Seed universe much more interesting when its not handled by them.

I say they really missed the ball on this one and we're not going to see another Seed related big release unless they they pull a Wing and release some side material. If the side material is popular enough they can gain momentum and seize the chance and release a Seed movie. Now it's just kind of poof away, all the hype is on the new 00 movie and the Unicorn OVAs. I really doubt the next Sunrise project would be a CE one too....

EDIT: Also as much as I consider the CE universe the second most fleshed out Gundam Universe (first UC, then CE, then AD) it really isn't that different from UC. I can understand that Bandai/Sunrise would like to keep UC around because of it's super-rich history, but CE's history is basically just a copy paste with modern updates. It doesn't differentiate itself enough with UC, so I really find it useless to support both universes when they're so similar. I personally think it might make a lot more sense to support something like AD which throws the Gundam franchise at a completely new direction (gundam unite earth, aliens, trans-am, magic dust, etc), but you still keep UC so we never have to say good bye to traditional Gundam. But then we also have to consider how popular Seed is in Japan, I keep hearing it's REALLY popular amongst the fujoshi crowd...but...pretty boys can always be replaced.
jonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-11, 06:52   Link #1863
brightman
Ancient Member

I have to disagree. CE is not as much about the setting as it is about the characters. It's the characters that appealed and made it popular (that's why Destiny was never able to just discard the old cast for a new one like UC can), and making popular characters that last for a decade on Newtype polls just isn't easy, as Mizushima/Kuroda found out.

And because of that, they really can't just discard Morosawa. She knows her characters best after all.

So if Fukuda & Morosawa are both healthy and haven't frustrated Bandai enough due to wasted time yet, I don't see why they wouldn't finish the movie.
Old 2010-11-11, 08:24   Link #1864
jonli
JONLIの憂'

^ This is also something I don't understand. What makes the Seed characters so great that they're so popular for that many years? None of them have any real form of development. Kira seems to have some kind of development, but his transformation was so unbelievable and ridiculous. He starts off as a reluctant hero that makes a few mistakes because he's stressed, an evil girl using him for her purposes. All of that is good until he miraculously survives and is found by Lacus. Then he just receives an unbelievable shift in character and became the pacifist Kira Yamato. It's fine to be a pacifist, but the way he is portrayed is ridiculous. He just flies in a battlefield and shoots everyone down, which is just unbelievable seeing as how he just becomes the strongest human being in the world within a few episodes. Then he gets that coincidental revelation as the Ultimate Coordinator, babbles at Rau, and then ends with "why are we here?" as the closing of the show. I have to say the last episode was actually very well directed and I felt all the emotions, but I really don't see how his character evolved properly from step A to B it just felt so chunky and unreal. Lacus is even more horrible, she was a 15 year old popstar that gained an unbelievable amount of political and military support (her dad was a politician but that doesn't give her the excuse to get all that military power, enough to change the tide of the war), and now she's the Chairman of ZAFT. If I lived in the future of the CE universe, and I open the textbook, I'm pretty sure the historians are going to say that Lacus is a manipulating woman very much like the first Empress of China.

I'd say the only one who got a decent and believable character evolution was Athrun. He didn't want to fight his friend, but he truly believed that Coordinators are being treated unfairly. He wanted to fight for his people but not kill his best friend. All that stress builds up and he does it, he regrets and he's in pain. Then his best friend comes back from the dead, they make up and he changes his ideals because he doesn't want to suffer it again.

Alright so things seem pretty okay, they're not the worst but they range from above average to bad. BUT ALL OF THAT, goes down the gutter in Destiny, with nothing that you can retrieve. All flushed away, bye bye. I mean, would they seriously still think Morosawa has a grasp of her characters? And being a large opportunistic company like Sunrise, I don't see why they would wait for Fukuda and Morosawa to cash in on a popular Gundam spin-off. Like you said the fans want the characters, but do they really need Fukuda and Morosawa for that?

I don't know, I guess I always saw Fukuda and Morosawa as the poison of the CE universe and better to be done without. But again, I really don't understand what makes those characters so popular, is it really the fujioshi crowd that's supporting them for 10 years? That's just incredible and I can't seem to wrap my mind around that. I guess it's just as ridiculous as Twilight being popular.

PS: Mizushima really did a horrible job in developing the characters of 00. There are some beautiful scenes here and there, but not enough. But you're right, now that I think about it, 00 does seem to focus on the world more than the characters, and Seed more on the characters than the world.
Old 2010-11-11, 09:20   Link #1865
Washu-Chan
Powered by AMD Athrun 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanger Zonvolt View Post
It is brain cancer.
My cynical side tells me that Morosawa's "cancer" excuse means that she's going through a Creator Breakdown phase (a la Hideaki Anno in Evangelion and Tomino during V Gundam, and why Stephenie Meyer won't release the fifth Twilight novel).

It's been rumored that Lacus is Morosawa's self-insert Mary Sue, and that she (Morosawa) cosplayed as her (Lacus) in her public appearances at various anime conventions in Japan. Try to picture that in your head.

I think one of the reasons why Destiny tanked was because Sunrise/Fukuda/Morosawa caved in to fan demand.
Old 2010-11-11, 09:45   Link #1866
jonli
JONLIの憂'

Isn't Morosawa a middle-aged-fat-asian-lady? And...she cosplayed as Lacus?
...oh my god.
Old 2010-11-11, 19:41   Link #1867
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washu-Chan View Post
My cynical side tells me that Morosawa's "cancer" excuse means that she's going through a Creator Breakdown phase (a la Hideaki Anno in Evangelion and Tomino during V Gundam, and why Stephenie Meyer won't release the fifth Twilight novel).
It wasn't brain cancer. That was some Internet joke that became widespread.

She did get diagnosed with cancer after Destiny ended and that was the reason for the movie's delay. But I don't think she ever disclosed the exact form of cancer.

(and for the record, she's always been pretty honest about her health... For example she also revealed that during the production of Seed she was diagnosed with uterine fibroids, and had surgery to remove her uterus and right ovary after the show ended)

Quote:
It's been rumored that Lacus is Morosawa's self-insert Mary Sue, and that she (Morosawa) cosplayed as her (Lacus) in her public appearances at various anime conventions in Japan. Try to picture that in your head.
More crazy fan rumors to justify Destiny's quality. I don't even want to picture that one.

I remember the one where it was reported that the Seed movie was canceled because she died. Its like she's become one of those hated celebrities... Really, leave the lady alone...
Old 2010-11-11, 19:44   Link #1868
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Yeah, as Mary Sue-ish Lacus was in the SEED saga, her being a self-insert of sorts sounds a bit farfetched.

Now, Fukuda and them caving into demands? I can see that, seeing as how Fukuda wasn't planning on creating Destiny in the first place, having accomplished everything he wanted to do in SEED already.
Old 2010-11-12, 06:15   Link #1869
Rickketik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washu-Chan View Post

I think one of the reasons why Destiny tanked was because Sunrise/Fukuda/Morosawa caved in to fan demand.
You take those F*ckers from 2ch waaaaaay to seriously..
Rickketik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-12, 10:16   Link #1870
Washu-Chan