AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2012-10-26, 20:52   Link #101
jesh462

Thank you OtakuDesu, I read Hetakoi and liked it a lot. I read most of it all in one go.
I also watched 5cm per second.. How do I say this..
I was thoroughly unimpressed. Besides the beautiful scenery, this was just oozing with mediocrity. It did nothing for me, especially the terrible song at the end. The only character I liked even a little was Kanae Sumida, probably because of her personality. She was actually the most fleshed out and "real" feeling character to me.

Last edited by jesh462; 2012-10-26 at 22:20.
jesh462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-31, 07:26   Link #102
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Watch the Hansel and Gretel arc of Black Lagoon: Second Barrage (or just watch the entire series). The arc consists of the first three episodes of Second Barrage, or episodes 13-15 if you're looking for where they fall in the 24 episode series.

If you watch the arc in isolation, you're missing out on the context and backstory of a number of characters, but on the flip side, Black Lagoon-as a series-can be schizophrenic, and while the beginning and end of Second Barrage are moving, most of the first season and the middle arc of Second Barrage skew much closer to pulp entertainment than deeply moving entertainment.

The Hansel and Gretel arc is one of the more morally conflicting/moving bit of anime watching on so many different levels, from what's occurring in the show to your own conflicted reactions to it all; especially if you're at all familiar with the real world ties to the story.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-01, 03:55   Link #103
jesh462

I finished Great Teacher Onizuka. I had a lot of fun following Onizuka's adventures with his class, and getting to know each of his students. Some moments were touching, many were ridiculous, and quite a lot of it was memorable. I liked this series a lot. I think a close comparison would be Durarara!!. I think Durarara!! had more memorable characters and was a little more fun, but GTO was more ... classical, I guess, endearing. I was a little upset that he left Fuyutsuki alone in Japan.
I'm almost done with a manga suggestion and an anime that wasn't suggested in this thread, I'll keep you all posted.
Old 2012-11-01, 08:20   Link #104
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
The Hansel and Gretel arc is one of the more morally conflicting/moving bit of anime watching on so many different levels, from what's occurring in the show to your own conflicted reactions to it all; especially if you're at all familiar with the real world ties to the story.
That's probably my second-favorite arc after "Fujiyama Gangsta Paradise," the one that concludes Second Barrage. I had a lot of sympathy for Yukio in that story and for Gin as well. I thought Yukio was a remarkably complex character. The fact that Kuwashima Houko voiced her only added to her appeal.

Still, I might be willing to place the conversation between Hansel and Balalaika in episode 14 among the best moments in all of Black Lagoon. It's just chilling.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-04, 02:32   Link #105
jesh462

I just finished Stellvia of the Universe.
Omg it was amazing. This would be one of the few exceptions where although the characters are younger, I can identify with them and get involved.
I really enjoyed Shipon, Arisa and their friendship. Ayaka Machida I hated with a passion, but after a little I was able to forgive her.
There are just so many things that this show did right. I loved the artwork and even the theme song was excellent, which is something that I can say of very few anime!

I also watched Blassreiter, which was something suggested by my sister in law. The first episode was easy to write off as another lame show targeted at 12 year old boys, but I give everything a chance. I continued, and I was really rewarded this time around. The bonds between the members of XAT were incredible. My opinion may be somewhat biased, as I'm able to relate well because of my own occupation; however, Blassreiter easily had some of the most moving scenes I've seen of all anime the anime I've watched. Shining through the whole show was Amanda Werner. Her character was incredible, and she's one of my favorite characters, even totally ignoring her huge breasts. Her determination and willpower really moved me.

Both of these shows are now definitely on my favorites, thanks so much for the recommendation, thundrakkon.

Last edited by jesh462; 2012-11-10 at 00:57.
Old 2012-11-04, 04:27   Link #106
NinjaRealist
Battoru!

Jesh did you watch Bokurano yet? Is it in your queue?

Also, I know this is a thread for us to give you recommendations but I watched Chrono Crusade based on your rec in this thread.

I definitely thought this could have been a little shorter, as parts of it felt slow and repetitive but the ending was really incredible. Definitely one of the saddest endings I've seen in an anime.
Old 2012-11-10, 00:59   Link #107
jesh462

Yes it'll be one of the next few I watch.
I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed it!
I remember when I saw the ending I vented to anyone that would hold still for 30 seconds about the unfairness of it all.
It's weird, I don't remember much being slow or repetitive, but it was a while ago, and I can sit through some things other people can't.

Edit: I just realized that Midori no Hibi I've already watched. I didn't recognize the Japanese name for it.
I also read Suzuka and Hetokai. I really enjoyed Hetokai, I wished it had somehow been longer, but it really was just the right length. I loved the characters and thought it very well done. Suzuka.. the first half was great, I really tore into it and read tons. However, Suzuka never ceased to piss me off. Yamato really did go against all common sense in persuing her, and I can't help but feel sorry for Yui and Honoka. I felt as if he was surrounded by better women and he just ignored them for whatever reason. I guess that's what love is all about, afterall, though. Blind ambition!
I couldn't really feel happy for them at the end just because it was Suzuka. Eh.

Last edited by jesh462; 2012-11-10 at 12:44.
Old 2012-11-11, 03:45   Link #108
jesh462

I just finished Berserk.
I thought at first that this would be fun to watch, but not end up leaving a lasting impression. I was wrong. I loved the story, I loved Griffith, Judeau, Rickert, Guts, and their friendship and adventures. I completely fell for Casca. Even though I knew it would all be a tragedy to begin with, somehow through all the story, there was that little ray of hope, just like there was for Griffith. What a show. I'm really in the mood for something lighter after finishing this, so I'm afraid Bokurano won't be next. xD
Old 2012-11-11, 04:22   Link #109
NinjaRealist
Battoru!

Well this is the "something moving" thread but...

...watch Ninja Nonsense! It won't move you but it might make you laugh.
Old 2012-11-17, 22:42   Link #110
jesh462

I just finished an older suggestion that I'd passed up before: Tenshi na Konamaiki.
I'm glad I picked it up and gave it a second chance. The characters seem to be drawn a little better as time goes on, and even in the beginning of the show, they aren't that bad in motion. Screen caps don't do it justice.
At any rate, art aside, I had a lot of fun watching this show. There are tons of well developed characters, and it's always nice to see what Megumi is up to, even if it's pointless.
That said, I felt there was a lack of real conflict in the series. I'm not sure if it's because this show was created for a younger audience, or what, but even the big finale was a little child like. I feel like the creators of this anime missed a big opportunity by having trivial conflicts or toning them down. The character development is certainly there. The characters just never do much. This is ok in some shows, like Aria, but Tenshi na Konamaiki is not a breathtakingly beautiful show, either. I enjoyed watching it, but overall, this is not one of my favorites.

p.s. I'll check out Ninja Nonsense the next time I finish something super depressing. Maybe soon, since I'm watching Bokurano right now.

Last edited by jesh462; 2012-11-17 at 22:59.
Old 2012-11-21, 02:33   Link #111
jesh462

I finished Bokurano.
It wasn't my cup of tea. I made it through the first half of the show out of sheer curiosity to see what each of the children's death wish was. I only particularly cared for the girl who was with the teacher, as well as Kana and her brother. The last few episodes I could have told you myself without watching them. That being said, it probably had the best possible ending, considering everything that came before.
Bokurano is another show that I feel is hard for me to identify with because of the young age of the main characters. There's also the fact that each is given 1-2 episodes to develop, and that's it. I feel very "meh" about Bokurano. It's probably the show I've finished and enjoyed least so far.

Last edited by jesh462; 2012-11-21 at 03:02.
Old 2012-11-21, 03:37   Link #112
NinjaRealist
Battoru!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesh462 View Post
I finished Bokurano.
It wasn't my cup of tea. I made it through the first half of the show out of sheer curiosity to see what each of the children's death wish was. I only particularly cared for the girl who was with the teacher, as well as Kana and her brother. The last few episodes I could have told you myself without watching them. That being said, it probably had the best possible ending, considering everything that came before.
Bokurano is another show that I feel is hard for me to identify with because of the young age of the main characters. There's also the fact that each is given 1-2 episodes to develop, and that's it. I feel very "meh" about Bokurano. It's probably the show I've finished and enjoyed least so far.
I'm sorry that you didn't like it...I enjoyed this show a lot and wouldn't have recommended it otherwise but everyone likes different things. Sorry again for recommending a show that you didn't enjoy watching.

I would say that if you didn't like Bokurano you probably wouldn't like School Days either.
Old 2012-11-21, 04:21   Link #113
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien was almost the opposite for me. The first episode seemed so stereotypical for this genre that I almost dropped it. Wow, did that opinion change! I actually disliked this show at first because it struck a sensitive chord with me personally. I'm not really going to elaborate there.
It occurs to me that no one recommended Haibane Renmei. The series hit me in the gut like no other story has, be it animated or live action. The reasons were deeply personal, and it meant a lot to me to learn that I was not the only one to have been similarly moved.

I've pulled a few quotes from various sites to give you a rough idea of what to expect:
TL;DR…

Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

I'll add another three titles from a while back that are still worth watching for their thought-provoking, and often moving, content:

Quote:
Shuichi Nitori is a young, feminine boy in the fifth grade who transfers into a new school where he quickly becomes friends with a tall, boyish girl in his class named Yoshino Takatsuki. Yoshino soon learns of Shuichi's desire to be a girl and tells him that she wants to be a boy. Shuichi also becomes friends with two other girls in his class: Saori Chiba and Kanako Sasa. Saori instantly takes a liking to Shuichi and continuously encourages him to wear feminine clothes.
Gender-bender anime are dime a dozen, but are usually played for laughs or, sometimes, as dark satire. Wandering Son is the only one I've watched that deals with transsexual and transgender issues sensitively. My only criticism is that it can perhaps be a bit too sensitive, to the point of being unrealistic; it can sometimes seem as though the show is too shy to face the very problems it brings up. The 11-episode series was broadcast in spring last year on the noitaminA channel.

Quote:
The story of Planetes follows the crew of the DS-12 Toy Box of the Space Debris Section, a unit of Technora Corporation. Debris Section's purpose is to prevent the damage or destruction of satellites, space stations and spacecraft from collision with debris orbiting the Earth and Moon. They use a number of methods to dispose of the debris, but the task is primarily accomplished through the use of EVA suits.

Though the story revolves around debris collection, the plot is actually a device for developing the characters and exploring a number of deep-seated social issues. The members of the Debris Section are looked down upon as the lowliest employees and they must work hard to prove their worth to others and accomplish their dreams.

Ongoing plot elements also include an upcoming exploratory mission to Jupiter on the new fusion-powered ship, the Von Braun, and the lead character's decision to join the mission, no matter the cost. Meanwhile, a terrorist organisation called the Space Defence Front tries to sabotage the mission in the belief mankind is exploiting space without first curing global problems such as famine and mass poverty.
The anime, and the manga it was adapted from, dealt with Kessler syndrome way before it even made headlines in mainstream media. For that reason alone, I feel the show is well worth watching.

Quote:
In 20xx, a civil war broke out in a small country in Asia in spite of the dispatch of United Nation forces. But a picture taken by accident in the battlefield accelerates the peace process. It is a picture of a flag which became the symbol of peace. However, just before the peace agreement is achieved, the flag is robbed by an extremist group bent on obstructing the truce. The UN dispatches a Special Development Command unit to retrieve the flag. An embedded journalist to assigned to record their activities. She is Shirasu Saeko — the very same woman who took the picture of the iconic flag.
The OP of Flag is itself a moving tribute to combat journalism.

Last edited by TinyRedLeaf; 2012-11-21 at 09:55.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-22, 00:40   Link #114
jesh462

No, no worries! Don't sweat it. I enjoy my time with almost all anime. It's like opening a book and being taken away to a world you've never seen before. I did enjoy Bokurano to some extent, or I wouldn't have sat through all of it.
There's also a large group of characters in School Days? With not much time spent on any one character? If so.. then yeah, I probably won't be too into it.

I just finished Broken Blade. While the mecha fights weren't quite as epic as Gurren Lagann, Escaflowne or Code Geass, they were pretty close. I also really loved the main characters. I wish there was more to this series. I feel that for the length of the show, there isn't much that could be improved upon. I enjoyed the way that all of it was represented, as beautiful as possible in every frame. I suspect the animators had a higher budget than most..
It doesn't quiet make my all time favorites list, but I really did enjoy it. Thanks for another awesome suggestion, Obelisk ze Tormentor!

Also thanks for the great suggestions, TinyRedLeaf! I can see you put a lot of thought into them and will definitely get to them soon. I had actually considered watching Haibane Renmei before, and decided if it was worth watching, someone would suggest it in my thread eventually. I was right! xD
My to do list expands!

Last edited by jesh462; 2012-11-22 at 00:50.
Old 2012-11-22, 01:26   Link #115
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
It doesn't quiet make my all time favorites list, but I really did enjoy it. Thanks for another awesome suggestion, Obelisk ze Tormentor!
You’re welcome again.

Quote:
I wish there was more to this series.
If you do want more of Broken Blade, the story from the anime continues in the manga (under the title Break Blade). It’s already translated and easy to find.

Btw, TinyRedLeaf's suggestions of unconventional anime are also great if you're open to their stories .

P.S.: I wouldn't watch School Days if I were you. It's just awful. You'll save your precious time and soul by not watching it .
Old 2012-11-22, 05:27   Link #116
jesh462

A danger to my soul? How could I resist?
I at least try out every suggestion.
I just finished Ga-Rei Zero tonight also. The first few episodes really put me off but I stuck it out. It turns out that I really ended up loving Kagura and Yomi's story. While it made me tear up a lot more than Broken Blade, I do feel that the latter was the better anime in the end.
Maybe the whole demon hunting thing felt a little too generic to me, at least the way it was portrayed in Ga-Rei Zero.
I'll keep the manga in mind for when I go back to work, but I'm on vacation for a little!

p.s. Once I watch Fate Zero and Full Metal Panic I'll have seen all your suggestions! I've kinda been saving both, since I already know I'll like them a lot. You better come back with more!

Last edited by jesh462; 2012-11-22 at 05:40.
Old 2012-11-22, 07:23   Link #117
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
p.s. Once I watch Fate Zero and Full Metal Panic I'll have seen all your suggestions! I've kinda been saving both, since I already know I'll like them a lot. You better come back with more!
Since you already have good recommendations from other members piling up on your “to-watch” list, I may have to back-off for now to give you time to check them all out .

But I’ll come up with something if you really need it .
Old 2012-11-22, 15:32   Link #118
NinjaRealist
Battoru!

About School Days:

This is indeed a deeply flawed show and a lot of people hated it. However, a lot of people loved it too and it is indisputably one of the most unique anime ever. The fact that it has generated such strong feelings from so many people is indicative of this. It's one of the purer deconstruction anime and it basically deconstructs the idea that a normal guy in a high school rom com harem situation would act like an indecisive and asexual nice guy rather than trying to take advantage of the situation(what the MC does). I'm not gonna say anything more about the plot because that might be a spoiler.

Personally, I would still recommend watching it just because it's so unique and so many people talk about it (also free on Crunchy Roll). It also does mostly focus on the central three characters but it' very possible that you might still find these characters shallow and undeveloped. You definitely will feel this way about some of the side characters.

However I can say that based on your other reactions, I'm pretty sure you will like Fate/Zero and probably Full Metal Panic as well (personally I thought FMP: The Second Raid was far better so that's another awesome thing about FMP is that it has a sequel which is even better).

As far as where to go next, based on your appreciation of Crest of the Stars you might give some old Yoshiyuki Tomino a try namely the old Gundam series (the best being, in order, Zeta Gundam, Gundam 0080, Mobile Suit Gundam and Victory Gundam) as well as some other series (Space Runway Ideon and Aura Battler Dunbine). You might find the characters in these shows too dumb to relate to, a common complaint of Tomino series. Then again the plots are epic a la Crest of the Stars and the shows are definitely moving because of the high body counts (of main characters not just in general). Tomino's nickname is Kill Em All Tomino, for obvious reasons, and this means that his better works are mostly quite moving.
Old 2012-11-30, 03:50   Link #119
jesh462

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Since you already have good recommendations from other members piling up on your “to-watch” list, I may have to back-off for now to give you time to check them all out .
Haha, fair enough.
NinjaRealist, thanks for the added detail. I've decided it'll stay on my to-do list. I've been wanting to start the Gundam series, but the thing for me is I have no idea where to start. I don't necessarily care about the order they were made in, as much as the order that would provide the optimal experience. For example, watching Fate/Stay Night before Zero to avoid giving up on FSN and missing that little extra bit of time with the lovely Saber.

I also just finished Casshern SINS. This series started off with very little interest on my part. Character with no past.. amnesia.. slim but somehow kills everyone.. unknown people come up and talk about him/to him. One of the things that initially discouraged me was that there was no lasting characters save for Casshern. Everyone else died or was never seen again after 1 episode. Oh my lord, how boring. Thankfully, as Casshern explores the world around him, he really develops, and strong relationships form. I ended up really enjoying this show. It made me think a lot about life and death. It was a totally different setting than I've seen lately. All around very good.
Also, very cool that Megaman was based off of Casshern! I had no idea.
Thanks for the suggestion, frubam!

Last edited by jesh462; 2012-11-30 at 04:11.
Old 2012-12-08, 22:27   Link #120
NinjaRealist
Battoru!

Also, I just want to echo what's been said about Haibane Renmei. Here's a post that I made in a shockingly similar rec thread. I really don't know why I forgot about this amazing anime:

Quote:
You know what, I realized that I neglected to mention possibly the greatest, most, universally appealing anime tear-jerker of them all:

Haibane Renmei

This show is very unique and difficult to describe. It's essentially a show about suicide and depression, but it deals with these themes in a way that is totally unconventional. It's quite sad, but I wouldn't say that it's very dark or angsty. It's a very quiet, subtle, anime with a simple slice-of-life style plot/pacing (e.g. Mushishi, Kino's Journey, Aria) but which nonetheless is very unlike slice-of-life anime in the sense that there is a serious plot that grapples with serious issues, although in a slightly roundabout way. There is a bit of gore involving a few medical procedures but the scenes are not violent and this is not a violent show.

In my opinion, this is one of the best anime ever made, and a must-see.