AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2011-10-08, 19:55   Link #981
Last Carpet

"You of all people should understand. The smartest people should rule the world. That's just simple math."

"You're wrong. You're not smart. You're a hurt little boy who wants the world to love him, and when it didn't, you never imagined the reason could be you"

Heathcliff Hodges/Choppers/Simon/Screwball/Brainstorm and Gerdie Baker/Mathlete
N.E.R.D.S. 3: The Cheerleaders of Doom

I want to beat them. Even though I'm not cool, or strong, or just, or beautiful, or cute, or pretty, I want to beat the cool, strong, just, beautiful, cute, and pretty people. Even though I wasn't blessed with talent, even though I'm stupid and have a bad personality, have bad grades, am misguided and am a good for nothing, I want to beat the talented, smart, likeable, overachieving people. I want to beat those with friends when I can't have friends. I want to beat the people who work hard when I can't work hard. I want to beat the the victorious people when I can't win. I want to beat the happy people when I'm miserable. Even if I'm hated, even if I'm despised, even if I'm useless, I want to prove that I'm better than the main characters!
Misogi Kumagawa: Medaka Box

I like to think of every day as the third day of the rest of my life. I always like to leave the first and second days open for damage and repair.

Did Ivan the Terrible ever give up being terrible?

I've been defeated by a stuffed one-of-a-kind sock!

He's Dreamy! And I never use that word. I usually prefer "nightmary".

My grandmother once said that leeches could cure anything. Those were her final words

My great-aunt used an Ouija Board to contact spirits. One day she pulled the Ouija Board out of the cupboard...and it fell on top of her head....may she rest in peace....It was a heavy board.

I'd remember if it was a disaster because I'm the queen of remembering disasters, remember? And I'm also the queen of disasters, by the way. And the duchess,and the princess! And the baroness! See you there. And the countess! And the vicountess! THE EMPRESS!

Well...I'd move out if I was my roommate

Misery: Ruby Gloom

Teddies don't hug back but sometimes they're all you've got.

I can't sleep cuz my pillow is too wet.

If I promise not to kill you can I have a hug?

Pon: Pon and Zi Comics

Feel it!
Vulturon the Condorroid: Megaman ZX Advent

Last edited by Last Carpet; 2011-10-20 at 22:50.
Last Carpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-22, 05:47   Link #982
careph

"Every human counts. Every human counts their money."
- Attwenger

"Civilization is building skyscrapers to jump down from."

"Justice!? Would you trust a blind old woman in rags swinging a sword?"

"Science is singing songs of praise for reason on the funeral of humanity."
careph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-22, 06:14   Link #983
Sides

"These five fingers... individually, they're nothing. But when I curl them together like this into a single unit, they form a weapon that is terrible to behold!" - Lucy van Pelt (Peanuts)
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-22, 14:41   Link #984
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others
~Douglas Adams

There are few wars between good and evil. Most are between one good and another good
~Yang Wen-li

Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die
~Mel Brooks

Forward! The Goddess of Victory is waving her underwear at your faces!
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-22, 17:35   Link #985
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

"I'll go Banzai! Viva la Scarf!!" -Kanba Takakura
Old 2011-10-22, 18:27   Link #986
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Send a message via MSN to grylsyjaeger
I was at a wedding held in an open park yesterday near a major highway through the city.

Just as the bride walked up the rotunda and was handed over to the groom by her father a bloke yells out from a parked car about a hundred metres away.

"Don't do it!"

New best friend.

Even the Minister was laughing.

"It doesn't mean much, we never had a chance."
grylsyjaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-27, 14:36   Link #987
Kallen4life

We are humans, not fish. We don't know what kind of people we truly are until the moment before our deaths. As death comes to embrace you, you will realize what you are. That's what death is, don't you think?
- Itachi Uchiha
We are Blackwatch
We are the last line of defense
We will burn our own to hold the red line, it is the last line to ever hold
Kallen4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-27, 15:33   Link #988
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Despite ranking Gundam Seed Destiny as possibly the worst Gundam show ever made, it had what I felt was one of the best lines ever spoken in the Gundam franchise:

Athrun Zala: [to Shinn Asuka] Everyone who has cried over being powerless feels that way, I think. But, from the moment you take that power into your hand, you'll become the person who will make others cry. Don't you ever forget that.

It was probably the most succinct line ever spoken in the Gundam franchise that perfectly encapsulated the original message of the Gundam franchise, a message that is often forgotten or ignored by many viewers who actually seem to take the opposite message from the shows (and who can blame them with all the fantastic explosions, fights, etc ).
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-28, 05:40   Link #989
HasuMasu
*Artist

^ Ah yes, despite not liking Destiny, I have to admit that's pretty awesome.
Old 2011-11-23, 05:19   Link #990
DawnEmperor

Justice....I can't think of another word more loved by the people...It does have a nice ring to it..
However, without ever exercising your own strength, you seek the death of others at the hands of someone else. Well, the justice you refer to smells pretty rotten to me.
Balalaika, Black Lagoon

It's not an obligation. And it's got nothing to do with justice. The only reason I want to do it, is....it's my hobby. Some people like to die in the gutter. Others like to go to war. And then there's me. When it comes down to it...I'm really no different from you...
Rock, Black Lagoon

Yeah, same scene. Both were awesome.

Since it's those around that you're making happy, you're inevitably going to be in the middle of things...so before making others happy, you need to make yourself happy.
Zenkichi Medaka Box

I'll do what you can't do, and you do what I can't do...
Sanji One Piece

Last edited by DawnEmperor; 2011-11-24 at 00:24.
DawnEmperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-23, 20:23   Link #991
leehowachi

when ignorance is bliss, its folly to be wise...
leehowachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-23, 23:49   Link #992
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by leehowachi View Post
when ignorance is bliss, its folly to be wise...
It's too bad whoever said that is ignorant of the fact that ignorance is a lack of knowledge, not wisdom.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-24, 06:35   Link #993
careph

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
It's too bad whoever said that is ignorant of the fact that ignorance is a lack of knowledge, not wisdom.
Why should it be a "fact" that "ignorance is a lack of knowledge"? To me it's a dubious claim at best.
The above aphorism may be elliptic, but not necessarily self-defeating.
Old 2011-11-24, 09:24   Link #994
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by careph View Post
Why should it be a "fact" that "ignorance is a lack of knowledge"? To me it's a dubious claim at best.
It is what it is. It doesn't matter what you think.
Quote:
The above aphorism may be elliptic, but not necessarily self-defeating.
I didn't say it's self-defeating.
Old 2011-11-24, 11:57   Link #995
careph

Quote:
It is what it is. It doesn't matter what you think.
Woah. I sure would like to live in your world, sounds blissful.

Quote:
I didn't say it's self-defeating.
Then I don't know what you said, I'm sorry.
Old 2011-11-24, 12:09   Link #996
monster

Quote:
Woah. I sure would like to live in your world, sounds blissful.
I'm just saying that is the definition. I don't know why you would argue with that.
Old 2011-11-24, 12:46   Link #997
careph

Quote:
I'm just saying that is the definition. I don't know why you would argue with that.
It is not the definition, it is one definition, and you make a claim to objective truth by saying it is a fact.
The issue is further complicated by the fuzziness of the abstract term "knowledge", which in turn can be variably defined. In other words, it's not a very good definition either, as it does not solve the problem, it only defers it.

Last edited by careph; 2011-11-24 at 12:59.
Old 2011-11-24, 13:23   Link #998
Paranoid Android
Underweight Food Hoarder

Send a message via MSN to Paranoid Android
Nouns are made to differentiate things and specify what they mean. If words have so many definitions as you claim, what's the point of so many words.

Just like a man is a male human, it doesn't matter what you think it is. That's the label given by the English language. By changing the meaning of words to what you want it to be, you are simply cutting that language away from its usefulness as a method of communication.

They do not have a qualitative meaning such as adjectives.

The word ignorance is invented and defined as 'lack of knowledge'
http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/ignorance
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/ignorance

If you insist it has another meaning, then you are no longer referring to a word of english. Just like how Chinese characters appear in the Japanese text but have a completely different meaning.
Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-24, 15:36   Link #999
careph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
Nouns are made to differentiate things and specify what they mean. If words have so many definitions as you claim, what's the point of so many words.

Just like a man is a male human, it doesn't matter what you think it is. That's the label given by the English language. By changing the meaning of words to what you want it to be, you are simply cutting that language away from its usefulness as a method of communication.
The dictionaries you quoted both give me several different meanings for the single word "man", i.e. a single form (signifier) is used for several different meanings (signified). You have just successfully defeated your own argument.
Your definition of "man" is too broad, too. A boy is also a male human, but a boy is not a man. You would have to at least say "a man is an adult male human".

Besides, why do you fetch an example of a concrete term when I was talking about an abstract term? These two are quite different. Lexical/analytic definitions usually suffice for concrete terms, while abstract terms call for explications.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
The word ignorance is invented and defined as 'lack of knowledge'
http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/ignorance
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/ignorance

If you insist it has another meaning, then you are no longer referring to a word of english. Just like how Chinese characters appear in the Japanese text but have a completely different meaning.
The original definition "ignorance is a lack of knowledge" also appears to be too narrow in light of the definitions you quoted from online dictionaries. Oxford includes "information", Merriam-Webster is even broader and includes "education" and "awareness". Do you think that the signifiers "knowledge", "information", "education" and "awareness" are connected to the same signified? If so, why are there so many words for the same meaning?

If not, if "knowledge", "information", "education" and "awareness" are distinct not only in form but also in meaning, then we have at last established that "ignorance is the lack of knowledge" is not the only definition, but just one among many.

In addition, a person does not need to have a lack of knowledge in order to be labelled ignorant. According to Oxford, "ignorance" applies to a person in either of three cases:

1) the person has a lack of knowledge
2) the person has a lack of information
3) the person has a lack of knowledge and information.

Using this definition as a basis, a person can lack information and thus be labelled ignorant (case 2), but does not necessarily need to lack knowledge.

Merriam-Webster allows for even more cases.
Ignorance is when ...

2) the person has a lack of education
3) the person has a lack of awareness
4) the person has a lack of knowledge and education
5) the person has a lack of knowledge and awareness
6) the person has a lack of education and awareness
7) the person has a lack of knowledge, education and awareness

Cases 2, 3 and 6 do not involve knowledge. Thus a person who is labelled ignorant does not need to have a lack of knowledge.

Language is much more complex than you make it out to be. The idea you seem to have of language reflects ignorance of the subject (whatever ignorance means )
There does not need to be a "point" to "so many words". Heck, it's still open to debate what a "word" is. Is "love" and "loves" two words, or just one? Or maybe even three, since there is the verb "love" and the noun "love"? Are "building" and "edifice" two words, since there are two forms? Or one word, since both forms have the same meaning? What about register? "Edifice" is much more formal than "building". Does that suffice to say it's two words?
The English language does not give any labels: signifiers and signified are in constant flux, their connection is usually arbitrary. Why should "tree" denote the concept of a tree? Why not "dog" or "justice" or "the diary entry I wrote on July 22"? And what do we even envision when we think of a tree? Does everybody imagine the same tree? Hardly, since different cultures have different trees. The broadleaf tree I imagine when I think "tree" does not even exist in many regions of the world. The concrete image I have in mind may even be be unique to myself.
Language change is perpetual and often unpredictable. Please, for heaven's sake, words are usually not "invented". Their forms and meanings are negotiated and re-negotiated by the people using them, sometimes consciously, mostly not. As a result, neither forms nor meanings are stable.
Old 2011-11-24, 19:45   Link #1000
monster

Quote:
Merriam-Webster allows for even more cases.
Ignorance is when ...

2) the person has a lack of education
3) the person has a lack of awareness
4) the person has a lack of knowledge and education
5) the person has a lack of knowledge and awareness
6) the person has a lack of education and awareness
7) the person has a lack of knowledge, education and awareness

Cases 2, 3 and 6 do not involve knowledge.
Actually, education and awareness do involve knowledge.