AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-07-09, 13:49   Link #181
Eratas123

I apologize. I'll try not to do so again.
Old 2013-07-09, 14:35   Link #182
Blonto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
There are indeed, but this show is nothing like them. If it were, that guy with glasses would've recognized Tomoko in WcDonalds and invited her to join the group, and later there'd have been a touching with them in a park as cherry blossom petals fall around them. But instead WataMote actually sticks to the premise and keeps the character a friendless loser who'd probably freak out if her classmates invited her out.
I'd argue that's the reason the main character is a girl. Can you imagine otaku to be interested in this story if it was about a guy in the same situation? I can't.
And I think another reason the main character doesn't go through some change is because if there's one driving force in anime that's stronger than horniness, it's the religious adoration of the status quo. It's much easier to write a story that goes nowhere, than it is to write one that changes in a meaningful way.

Yeah, ok, they're sticking to their guns in regards to the plot. We have a friendless loser who makes 0 progress trying to have a social life. Is this idea really something you can base an entire series on instead of like, a one-shot with a dozen disturbing comics of a person incapable of adapting? Endless eight also stuck to their guns, didn't make it less frustrating to watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
The first three volumes of the manga have sold 1.5 million copies total, so I'd say yeah.
Blonto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-09, 15:02   Link #183
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I don’t know too many details about mangaka, but I’m guessing she (I’m not even 100% sure she’s a she) knows something about depression. I grew up with a family member who suffered from it, and the moment when Tomoko threatened to commit suicide if Tomoki didn’t converse with her for an hour a day was one of many jokes that didn’t feel like a joke, because it’s a very unpleasant and real part of living with a depressed person. Tomoki seems like a nice enough kid, guilty of nothing more than being "normal" – and popular – and it sucks for him to be caught up in his sister’s darkness when he’s clearly unequipped to deal with it. The episode is full of those sorts of authentically uncomfortable moments – sometimes I didn’t laugh, and sometimes I laughed and felt bad for laughing. There’s something in the experience of seeing Tomoko as an animated, speaking girl that makes the experience altogether more painful than the manga.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-09, 15:24   Link #184
ookamigirl

I was really feeling sorry for that poor girl.
She sure had a lot of resentment...
It was sad watching her detached life.
Seriously, this is just too depressing.
Think I'm gonna skip this one.

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-09, 16:21   Link #185
Kirarakim

I don't know I didn't laugh at all (well except at the OP). I found the premise more depressing than funny.
Old 2013-07-09, 16:59   Link #186
Solafighter
Hige

They really animated it..

Not bad at all. The voice of Tomoki fits very well.
The OP is pretty well done, too.

Her brother, I can't stop thinking about it... This voice...
It's him!

Sorry, but Kousaka and his voice actor have always fused in my head. Can't keep them apart.
Old 2013-07-09, 17:20   Link #187
Eratas123

Except this time, his little sister isn't getting his help in life therapy
Old 2013-07-09, 17:22   Link #188
mystogan
The Lost Lamb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eratas123 View Post
Except this time, his little sister isn't getting his help in life therapy
a slight correction it's not his little sister, it's the older sister, Tomoko is the older sister of Tomoki
Old 2013-07-09, 19:03   Link #189
Eratas123

Right, sorry about that In either case, Tomoki seems to be a nice enough guy, if annoyed at his sister's antics and melodrama. The fact that he came to get her and knew where she would be says a lot.
Old 2013-07-09, 19:33   Link #190
Dark Faith
Often Disappointed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elestia View Post
Tomoko channeling Light Yagami during the internet surfing scene.
I actually pictured Mikami shouting "SAKUJO!" during that scene.
And boy, that's one seriously epic OP sequence for this kind of show... that alone got me hooked.
Dark Faith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-09, 20:25   Link #191
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Do take note that the most common reaction to the manga (and likely will be for the show) was "This hits too close to home". Mokocchi's social awkwardness is something that more than a few of us had experienced on one level or another (though granted, not at the degree that Tomoko has), which makes it easy to sympathize/empathize with.
Old 2013-07-09, 20:48   Link #192
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
Do take note that the most common reaction to the manga (and likely will be for the show) was "This hits too close to home". Mokocchi's social awkwardness is something that more than a few of us had experienced on one level or another (though granted, not at the degree that Tomoko has), which makes it easy to sympathize/empathize with.
I think that's why I like Mokocchi. Because I was that awkward girl in high school (without the anime/otaku angle).

Though I had some friends though. Poor Mokocchi is like THAT kid in class: you know the ones who always keep to themselves and are the subjects of strange rumors like 'Hey she smells/is ugly!'
Old 2013-07-09, 21:34   Link #193
Calca
Expressionless

Why the hell does the EP have such a happy sounding tune with such depressing lyrics. It's like an Everclear song.
Calca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-09, 23:01   Link #194
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonto View Post
I'd argue that's the reason the main character is a girl. Can you imagine otaku to be interested in this story if it was about a guy in the same situation? I can't.
I don't think you have to restrict it to otaku. It's like Tomoki said, "If you were my brother, I'd hit you." A boy in her position (and I think this is equally true in Japan and the US) would be viewed as a wimp worthy only of our contempt. The only way for the character to be sympathetic is for her to be female.

Though that being said, I think the writer does a very good job of portraying a female otaku without excessive pandering to the guys in the audience. I like that she's playing otome games with hot, naked guys, unlike a certain unbelievably cute little sister. And there's that scene with the convenience store clerk -- when was the last time you saw a sympathetic female character in anime get hot and bothered by some random cute guy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I don’t know too many details about mangaka, but I’m guessing she (I’m not even 100% sure she’s a she)
"Nico Tanigawa" is actually two people. I believe the writer is a man and the artist a woman.

Quote:
knows something about depression. I grew up with a family member who suffered from it, and the moment when Tomoko threatened to commit suicide if Tomoki didn’t converse with her for an hour a day was one of many jokes that didn’t feel like a joke, because it’s a very unpleasant and real part of living with a depressed person.
I think the best line in the episode was when she said, "It feels like life's raised the difficulty level since I started high school. If it's hard now, then by the time I get to college and the real world it'll be nightmare-mode." On the surface it sounds kinda funny, but that really is what someone who's suicidal would feel.

The weird thing is, I've seen other shows with similar scenes -- pretty much any scene in Working with Izumi, for example -- that actually do play as funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
I don't know I didn't laugh at all (well except at the OP). I found the premise more depressing than funny.
That's a fairly common reaction. There are tons of posts in the manga thread from people announcing that they can't keep reading. I remember one in particular where the poster said the writer's crueler than Urobuchi and Tomino.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-09, 23:11   Link #195
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
My gawd, she's like an emo Izumi KONATA.
that dating sim scene was the best

People are getting depressed over this? Why? Yes, I used to be able to relate to the whole 'unpopular loser with no friends' back in middle/high school...but those days are so far behind me so it's not like it hurts to see a character go through the same thing.
.........at least not to the point where it's painful to watch.
Old 2013-07-09, 23:14   Link #196
Dr. Casey

Quote:
(though granted, not at the degree that Tomoko has)
Hahaha. That's true for most people, but I think I was Tomoko's equal as a high school freshman.

Spoiler for Stories so pathetic that NSFW might be a more accurate label:

My self-esteem has recovered a lot in the years since high school ended, and I was much more talkative and socially active during the technical college program I attended from September 2011 through December 2012. As a teenager, though, my station in life had a lot in common with Tomoko's. If there is one anime I can relate to throughout almost every solitary scene and line of dialogue, it's Watamote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi
My gawd, she's like an emo Izumi KONATA.
You know, the Lucky Star anime takes place during the second and third year of high school. Maybe... maybe Tomoko is Konata, and this show is about her early days in high school before meeting Kagami, Tsukasa, and Miyuki!
/crack theory

Last edited by Dr. Casey; 2013-07-09 at 23:20. Reason: Sharing my brilliant theory with Chiibi
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-10, 02:04   Link #197
brocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
You know, the Lucky Star anime takes place during the second and third year of high school. Maybe... maybe Tomoko is Konata, and this show is about her early days in high school before meeting Kagami, Tsukasa, and Miyuki!
/crack theory
I await her brother and mother being killed off in the story then. Since you y'know Mama Izumi is a ghost and the brother is no where to be found.

Er... Yea... I don't think this series needs to be darker than it already is lol

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
brocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-10, 03:34   Link #198
hamazura
whatever

Quote:
lol i never have social awkwardness but very like this manga so much
In every school, therre must be at least 1 or 2 person like her.
If there arent in your school, that person must be you
And i liked to laugh behind his/her back lol im so cruel
But no matter how pitiful they are, none of their pitifulness match tomoko's lol
hamazura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-10, 04:15   Link #199
Bern-san

Enjoyed the first episode, I did laugh a couple of times and I hope we can see her improving. Her brother is a bit mean but he isn't a bad person.

BTW was she playing Duel Love?
Old 2013-07-10, 05:09   Link #200
ttdestroy
Hardcore meets Casual

Wow I'm impressed that they captured the feel of the manga so well.
At one point I laughed so hard water came out my nose, just like reading the book lol.
ttdestroy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coming of age, dark comedy, high school, satire, slice of life