AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2007-11-04, 09:16   Link #121
celcius
Aspiring but lazy

@najmienoddlez:
Congrats, you found the game easy.
Now try it on heroic with either no items or no skills on ALL battles. Yes, even Book of A.
If you still find that easy, you can go ahead and play a 1/1 heroic game.
---
@Leon_Lelouch:
Heroic mode means that your HP does not level up. Your defense goes up so if you raise it enough, you *might * not die from puny hits in one shot (epilogue Belial junk rains, Darkova fire breath, etc). If you go through heroic mode as x/1 chances are, EVERYTHING (except maybe Darkova fire licks or Gallon maggots) one shot kills you after stage 3 or so. Hopefully, you have a deeper understanding of the alchemy system and (ab)use it whether to craft evil potion combos or to boost your psypher to abnormally high levels.
---
@orange.a:
IMO, people who say Mercedes sucks either do not know how to use her or are button mashers. Incidentally, I found people who say Mercedes sucks all overhype Oswald with U-POW. Honestly, Oswald with all those pots make the game stupid easy.
Actually, potions in general make the game easy. Took big damage? Take a swig from elixir. Can't figure out how to dodge an attack? Use spirits. Too many small fries? Blizzard. Want to just mash? U-POW/Painkiller.

What I'd wanted would be more variety in bosses. You fight 7 out of 9(?) bosses in all books. I wish there were about 12 bosses from the pool of possible bosses (and no, Skuldi and Beldor do not count as 2). I mean, c'mon. By the time you fight Odin with Velvet, you could probably fight him with half concentration. The battles become more mechanical instead of adrenaline pumping.

Last edited by celcius; 2007-11-04 at 09:47.
celcius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-04, 09:43   Link #122
orange.a
SUN faction member
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by celcius View Post
@orange.a:
IMO, people who say Mercedes sucks either do not know how to use her or are button mashers. Incidentally, I found people who say Mercedes sucks all overhype Oswald with U-POW. Honestly, Oswald with all those pots make the game stupid easy.
Actually, potions in general make the game easy. Took big damage? Take a swig from elixir. Can't figure out how to dodge an attack? Use spirits. Too many small fries? Blizzard. Masher? U-POW/Painkiller.
That's why I did hardly use any of those pots in Heroic Mode. It's too boring.

Mercedes is the most fun character gameplay-wise, followed by Velvet. Oswald was too boring and dull for me, and his shadow mode sucks IMO. But as you said, with the right pots Oswald is freakin invincible, but that takes all the fun so all in all for me Oswald kinda sucked, the only character I didn't really enjoy playing with.
orange.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-04, 09:54   Link #123
celcius
Aspiring but lazy

Wow. We think alike. <3
Oswald's shadow form does have it's uses if you combine it with phozon release. The risks are too great in heroic to use it though. Heroic almost require you to sneak in an attack as fast as possible, then quickly running away. Shadow form does not let you do that.

I actually found Oswald a bit more fun. His fourth attack sucks so much that timing it such that you get to hit with it and still be safe became one of my main goals playing his book (albeit, I had more deaths and verbal expletives during his book). Also, he's quite agile, jumps high, and his 3-hit combos seem to be the fastest. He does not beat Velvet in terms of mobility, but he can dish out more damage than Velvet while staying relatively safer than her (outside of hit-n-run homing chain of course).
Of course, Mercedes in heroic mode hands down is the best. Her weakness becomes something common to all characters, but she retains all of her devastating tools and super safe attacks.

Last edited by celcius; 2007-11-04 at 10:05.
Old 2007-11-04, 09:54   Link #124
Ymor
20th Century Boy

I agree with you, Oswald is the most overpower character but play with him is boring, I prefer play with Mercedes i'ts really fun her gameplay.
Old 2007-11-04, 10:23   Link #125
orange.a
SUN faction member
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by celcius View Post
I actually found Oswald a bit more fun. His fourth attack sucks so much that timing it such that you get to hit with it and still be safe became one of my main goals playing his book (albeit, I had more deaths and verbal expletives during his book). Also, he's quite agile, jumps high, and his 3-hit combos seem to be the fastest. He does not beat Velvet in terms of mobility, but he can dish out more damage than Velvet while staying relatively safer than her (outside of hit-n-run homing chain of course).
Of course, Mercedes in heroic mode hands down is the best. Her weakness becomes something common to all characters, but she retains all of her devastating tools and super safe attacks.
Actually, I think Velvet can stay quite farther from Oswald without getting in to much danger because her standing cirtular hits have a little more range than oswalds crappy sword and also she doesn't automatically go forward like Oswald, sometimes those annoying quirks in his gameplay are what tends to drive you mad (I too had a lot of fury rages because of him, I died a lot in Heroic Mode using him).

Although it's true that Velvet damage-wise is one of the weakest ones, but her combo'ing ability and the fact that you can "cancel" the air combo with the "tarzan" jump makes you a real hard target, while Oswalds jump and movemets, while they're pretty fast, are a bit uncontrollable.
Old 2007-11-04, 10:32   Link #126
celcius
Aspiring but lazy

Mmmm... Oswald doesn't move forward~ If you just press attack without the forward, he won't slide. I always do that, poking at max range. And if they flinch, I try my luck and poke again to see if they flinch again. xD
Velvet's air combo has to be the bestest of the bunch. Deals about as much damage as 4-hitters, but only consume POW for a 3. And the added ability to "tarzan" swing (rofl) out of it makes it awesome even more.
Old 2007-11-04, 12:06   Link #127
orange.a
SUN faction member
*Graphic Designer

Really? Oh I though he went forward a little bit.

I've played that game inmediately after its release so sometimes my memory fails me

And Velvet's "tarzan cancel" (New official name xD) is a must when you face Armageddon bosses in Heroic (and pretty much everything in the game), otherwise they'll just rape you big time
Old 2007-11-05, 02:25   Link #128
Leon_Lelouch
ミシャだけ

What?? So in Heroic mode our HP cant level up??
Oh, man....

I like to play Oswald, but he's a bit weak if I used his shadow.....
Because I just have little time to use it........
Leon_Lelouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-05, 11:13   Link #129
orange.a
SUN faction member
*Graphic Designer

U-POW fixes that, but then again... that kills the fun of the game.
Old 2007-11-05, 19:10   Link #130
celcius
Aspiring but lazy

I have to play Odin Sphere, Fate again and scream like Tarzan whenever I do Velvet's swing.
---
@Leon_Lelouch:
Uh-huh. So that means Mercedes stays at a beautiful 45 HP. But hey, you can used Variance+adversity ring combo like, always.
Old 2015-07-20, 07:57   Link #131
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
So revive this 8-year old thread with a new HD remake!

Looks like they added new combos and bosses and remade the stages for far less monotony.
Old 2015-07-20, 09:12   Link #132
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Being out on all Playstation platforms, the only question for me is- PS4 or Vita?!

I seem to be asking that a lot lately lol.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-20, 10:43   Link #133
com_gwp

Man, what a way to necro this thread, but I'm besides myself with hype for this.

Near a decade on, but the game still looks stunning.
com_gwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-20, 11:08   Link #134
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

oooh yeaaa. Crossing fingers for a PS4 release.
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-20, 15:53   Link #135
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoHunter_Toki View Post
oooh yeaaa. Crossing fingers for a PS4 release.

It is going on PS4. It is going on PS4/PS3/PSV.
Old 2015-07-20, 18:03   Link #136
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

This ride isn't over yet-

Old 2015-07-21, 05:03   Link #137
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
This ride isn't over yet-
That was a weird timing for announcement of an announcement.
It's almost certain VW had something else in production along with the recently announced Odin Sphere HD (since remaster job are typical stopgap projects). Announcing something new right now kinda diminishes whatever media attention they gotten for Odin Sphere HD.

I'm guessing September means TGS?
Old 2015-07-21, 19:11   Link #138
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Here's a taste of Gwendolyn's new gameplay and combos! Now she finally gets some air time worthy of a Valkyrie!

Old 2015-07-22, 00:07   Link #139
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

I've never played Odin Sphere before but is it basically Proto-Muramasa plus more RPG?
Old 2015-07-22, 05:32   Link #140
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
I've never played Odin Sphere before but is it basically Proto-Muramasa plus more RPG?
There's slightly less moveset in Odin Sphere per character compare to Muramasa but there's a lot more crafting, leveling up, inventory management and also, 5 completely different characters to play with in terms of abilities and playstyle. Also, the story between all 5 characters are a lot more entwined than the interaction between Momohime and Kisuke.