AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Fan Creations

Notices

Old 2006-06-17, 09:30   Link #1
bigmac996
procrastinator

Colored Sketch

Alrighty- I just did up this colored version of a sketch I did earlier this week- I pretty much just did it to practise cg and experiment with color b/c I'm a little inexperienced in Photoshop. Anyway tell me what y'all think!

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/34907024/
bigmac996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-17, 10:01   Link #2
Keios
Q(°.°Q)

! That's awesome. I'm impressed.

I can't really give any constructive criticism, but I doubt you need any from me anyway.

Keep up the good work!
Keios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-17, 10:12   Link #3
bigmac996
procrastinator

Thanks for the post! I appreciate you taking time to post here.
Old 2006-06-17, 12:52   Link #4
Kiva128
Kairin-chan's #1 Fan
*Artist

Yeah I agree, that looks really good for someone who is learning PS. One good trick I learned for colouring skin is to use a soft brush. Now there's no rule saying you have to, I just personally like the smoother look to the shadows than a hard brush offers. Now to get a soft brush in PS, you simply click on the brushes window, then click where it says Brush Tip Shape (it's the first thing above Shape Dynamics checkbox). Once there, simply drag the hardness slider down to 0% (that's what I use but you can always experiment).

You already seem to have a nice understanding of dynamic lighting, which is nice to see. Backgrounds can be a pain to do but if you keep it simple, then they become less overwhelming. So in other words, if painting a tree, dont try to paint every leaf, just make it look like a tree. Sorry if you already knew all this though. ^^;;

And it's not colour related but nice job on the pose. I need to work on more fluid poses myself.
Old 2006-06-17, 21:57   Link #5
bigmac996
procrastinator

Lol I already know everything about brushes and all that- I made my own that I use. I'm not entirely new at PS- I've been using it for a couple years, but it's coloring I am inexperienced with, and I always just sketch in PS with my tablet. I do like the soft brush sometimes, like for the face, but I love to use the hard brush most of the time b/c it gives it a good painterly effect imo. Thanks anyway for the tips though- greatly appreciated.
Old 2006-06-18, 09:11   Link #6
Kiva128
Kairin-chan's #1 Fan
*Artist

It seems you and I are in the same boat kind of. I only got my tablet last November and before that only coloured my pictures sparsingly. Now I've learned a lot but still have a long, long way to go. Especially with backgrounds. I've only done like...6 backgrounds ever. So yeah, I'm not exactly the best person to take advice from when it comes to this
Old 2006-06-19, 13:46   Link #7
katakami
another procrastinator

Send a message via MSN to katakami Send a message via Yahoo to katakami
Waw that's really nice! =D Kinda reminds me of the painting style in Magna carta! =D =D

I personally prefer the hard brush. I play around with the opacity and that gets pretty good results... but yeah, I've discovered all the different brushes recently (actually a friend of mine told me about them. ^^;; Like the dry brushes and stuff you have to load. Anyway... enough about brushes .. back to the work.

I'd say your character is working well but I think as a whole image it doesn't look complete. I hate doing backgrounds myself but I think you need to work on it a bit more in this one. (Maybe you're not finished with it?) The background has to sort of compliment the colours you're using in the foreground. The lighting you've got on the character is great but yeah... you just need to get the same in the BG if you get what I mean?

=D good work though! I can't paint that good yet. ^^;; Hope to soon.
katakami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-19, 14:33   Link #8
Envy-Chan

oh my god, you are awesome!
i like it so much O_O!

keep up the good work, you are extremly gifted
Envy-Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-19, 17:32   Link #9
Kiomi

Wow ^^ that is great, i go to Deviant art also...its so nice to see really good A+ work.
Kiomi is offline   Reply With Quote