AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2007-06-02, 11:27   Link #81
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

I highly doubt it'll be similar to C.E's protrayal of war-stopping. Sure, it had Lacus's big guns doing the smackdown, but the core representation of the message wasn't the destruction, but what comes from it.

This one with it's blatant tag of a "War-Eradication Faction" and the "Rebirth Through Destruction"(tl?) line at the end seems to indicate a much less peaceful eradication of wars...For all we know, these Gundams are going to stop wars by destroying them... As ridiculously overpowered that sounds, unless they command their own armies.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-02, 11:37   Link #82
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cf18 View Post
One problem they will have is they got a up hill battle for popularity against the 2nd season of Code Geass. I doubt they have a chance the sweep the polls like Seed did.
Is the 2nd season confirmed for the fall yet though? With this looming ahead, I doubt either Sunrise or MBS wants a head-to-head competition between the two, especially not with the marketability of the doroku slot on the line.

On the other hand, you can certainly see influences from Code Geass on some of the presentation here. The character designs share the antagonistic bishie look. The "war eradication" and "rebirth through destruction" taglines just scream Lelouch's agenda of "peace through destruction". Let's hope the similarities won't be too much, or at least be presented differently, but we'll see.
Old 2007-06-02, 11:45   Link #83
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightman View Post
Is the 2nd season confirmed for the fall yet though? With this looming ahead, I doubt either Sunrise or MBS wants a head-to-head competition between the two, especially not with the marketability of the doroku slot on the line.

On the other hand, you can certainly see influences from Code Geass on some of the presentation here. The character designs share the antagonistic bishie look. The "war eradication" and "rebirth through destruction" taglines just scream Lelouch's agenda of "peace through destruction". Let's hope the similarities won't be too much, or at least be presented differently, but we'll see.
Well, officially, we don't even know if CG S2 is going to be an actual TV series S2. But judging from the little bits and information trustworthy spoiler-guys had been throwing about Taniguchi treating CG S2 as episode 26, not S2 episode 1, along with various hints on the production of S2, it seems to indicate a fall release. Naturally, nothing official, probably not until the special premiere at least, I believe.

But generally, would there actually be a real competition aside from Sunrise pitting themselves against themselves? It's not like they're sharing a same time-slot anyway, if we assume CG S2 will replace DtB.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-02, 11:46   Link #84
W-General
Bushinsoukou
*Scanlator

Send a message via ICQ to W-General Send a message via AIM to W-General Send a message via MSN to W-General
The character designs tick me off, mostly because it's the Loveless designs, and I seriously don't need anymore fangirl bishie galore orgy like Gundam Wing was...

Of course, I should not judge a show by its character designs. A show might have ghay character designs, but put in the hands of the right animator and the right director, it can be godly. Just look at Code Geass. That's bad designs (Clamp) handed to good animator (Kimura) and great director (forgot name lol) and turned around into a godly show.

Here's hoping that it'll actually be good.
W-General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-02, 11:52   Link #85
Eurys
Crush me. ~Ringo

Am I dreaming? Some of those characters...they look older than 16 years old! Could it be we'll have some adults in the main cast?

Seriously, I kinda like the character design. I know some people will complain about the "yaoi" vibe they get from it but a- just don't look at fanarts/fanfics and b- don't worry, even ugly/manly characters can be yaoi fodder so it would happen anyway.

ps: I love Code Geass character design And I really hope there won't be a Code Geass vs Gundam 00 trend...
Old 2007-06-02, 11:55   Link #86

Finally something to look forward to. It will be interesting to see what j-pop artist they choose to do the theme music.
100587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-02, 11:58   Link #87
kaito-kid
As I make you stop, think

Quote:
Oh, they've replaced the thrusters with some kind of anti gravity things for atmospheric use! Interesting.
that would be really interesting.

Quote:
Actually, watch the clip carefully and you'll see that its actually holding the "beam saber" on its left hand. Its notably shorter.

So that long sword is actually another weapon.
yes yes, and it seems the beam sword is mounted on the shield.

and about The character designs...well I don't like it, but at least...it's not CLAMP!
Old 2007-06-02, 12:00   Link #88
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
But generally, would there actually be a real competition aside from Sunrise pitting themselves against themselves? It's not like they're sharing a same time-slot anyway, if we assume CG S2 will replace DtB.
Timeslot-wise, no. But for marketing & merchandising, most likely. It be tough to promote this new show with CG2 dominating every magazine cover like before, after all.

And again, let's not forget MBS produces both shows, and its their timeslot that they are trying to revive with this show. I'd think that they would want it to succeed, even more than Sunrise does. So even if Sunrise employees have said that they plan on releasing it in the fall, there might be other factors to consider
Old 2007-06-02, 12:05   Link #89
Kasn

Great news, at last some new gundam. I already love the mecha design, but don't know what to think abaout chara design. I am interested in the blue gundam especialy front and chest area.
Kasn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-02, 12:12   Link #90
BOZZY

This news has made my day and I just woke up!
BOZZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-02, 12:20   Link #91
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurys View Post
Am I dreaming? Some of those characters...they look older than 16 years old! Could it be we'll have some adults in the main cast?
Yeah I know it's screwy that way, especially with the current trend towards younger loli characters that make Lacus, Mirallia and Cagalli look like adults. Also I noticed there wasn't a single girl in the entire teaser trailer, which is something I haven't seen in a long long time. In fact I haven't seen this many men in 14 seconds in an anime spot in a long while as well. Although Gundam with a loli heroine would be extremely screwy so it's not surprising to see all male pilots in the trailer.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-02, 12:28   Link #92
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Quote:
Timeslot-wise, no. But for marketing & merchandising, most likely. It be tough to promote this new show with CG2 dominating every magazine cover like before, after all.

And again, let's not forget MBS produces both shows, and its their timeslot that they are trying to revive with this show. I'd think that they would want it to succeed, even more than Sunrise does. So even if Sunrise employees have said that they plan on releasing it in the fall, there might be other factors to consider
Nah, Code Geass season 2 in Fall is pretty much 100% confirmed. Nothing will change. There will likely be less Newtype cover domination this time because it's not really required. Geass will continue to feature the same characters that everyone already knows. The reason they pushed Geass so hard when it started was to springboard it to success. Now it will simply sell itself. It's not like they really cared to maintain the quality of Geass in terms of animation, pacing and general quality anyway, and it's STILL popular. Clearly the focus in October will be on Gundam 00, but there's no way they're not going to continue throwing out Geass stuff as long as it's still hot.
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-02, 12:32   Link #93
brightman
Ancient Member

Yeah, makes sense... But only if this show does manage to catch on. Otherwise it's going to be a repeat of the Zeta Gundam-Layzner episode for Sunrise, or, more recently, something out of Gundam X, methinks. G00 is facing competition from not only Geass but also the Seed movie after all. It'll be tough getting the attention of everybody for sure, especially if people aren't about to switch over.
Old 2007-06-02, 12:43   Link #94
7Th
Mixtape

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao View Post
EDIT2: How popular is Kouga Yun anyway, actually? I get more of a doujin-BL sort of vibe from her, something you wouldn't usually see in public so much (barring latenight things like Loveless) but then again the guy who did the Seirei no Moribito designs (8ish on N-bloody-HK of all things) was apparently an ero-mangaka so huh. I'm prolly just talking out of my posterior here though.
She's pretty popular and at least a hell lot more well known that Seirei's character designer. Speaking for myself, I wanted them to attempt a more gritty take on the Gundam concept but I guess that was just impossible for the dokuro slot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll View Post
Nah, Code Geass season 2 in Fall is pretty much 100% confirmed. Nothing will change. There will likely be less Newtype cover domination this time because it's not really required. Geass will continue to feature the same characters that everyone already knows. The reason they pushed Geass so hard when it started was to springboard it to success. Now it will simply sell itself. It's not like they really cared to maintain the quality of Geass in terms of animation, pacing and general quality anyway, and it's STILL popular. Clearly the focus in October will be on Gundam 00, but there's no way they're not going to continue throwing out Geass stuff as long as it's still hot.

Japanese magazines covers are paid by the Studio right?
7Th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-02, 12:49   Link #95
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Th View Post
She's pretty popular and at least a hell lot more well known that Seirei's character designer. Speaking for myself, I wanted them to attempt a more gritty take on the Gundam concept but I guess that was just impossible for the dokuro slot.

Japanese magazines covers are paid by the Studio right?
In all honesty I think Bandai holds a large share in Newtype Magazine and Kadokawa Shoten so it's probably just a business expense and not payment to the publisher for space.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-02, 12:55   Link #96
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Quote:
Yeah, makes sense... But only if this show does manage to catch on. Otherwise it's going to be a repeat of the Zeta Gundam-Layzner episode for Sunrise, or, more recently, something out of Gundam X, methinks. G00 is facing competition from not only Geass but also the Seed movie after all. It'll be tough getting the attention of everybody for sure, especially if people aren't about to switch over.
Well, we'll just have to see how GOOD this new Gundam is, and how successful Sunrise is at making both new fans and old fans feel connected to it. If it fails, it won't be the first time Sunrise messed Gundam up, and it'll hardly be the last. As for the SEED movie.... If we don't hear anything by July, would you still believe it's still coming this year?
Old 2007-06-02, 12:58   Link #97
SuperAsuradaGundam

Send a message via AIM to SuperAsuradaGundam
After reading the scenerio, I'm hoping the show would be similar to Gundam X because it has a more relaxed beginning such that it allows new viewers to jump right in after a couple of episodes without being confused about what the heck is going on like Code Geass, plus it should help out the raitings.

Also as for competition among its own series, well Code Geass has a late night slot so it would not be of much concern with MBS in terms of raitings, however the concern might be with DVD sales when CODE GEASS and G00 and the GS movie are released, however I do not know how it is going to be handled throughout the year.

Another thing is that if the plot is mroe relaxed, it can work for an American audiance, especially if they can release it in America and promote it properly instead of the bad timeslot they had with SEED in America.
SuperAsuradaGundam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-02, 12:59   Link #98
7Th
Mixtape

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll View Post
Well, we'll just have to see how GOOD this new Gundam is, and how successful Sunrise is at making both new fans and old fans feel connected to it. If it fails, it won't be the first time Sunrise messed Gundam up, and it'll hardly be the last. As for the SEED movie.... If we don't hear anything by July, would you still believe it's still coming this year?
Not like Seed Destiny despite it's own quality wasn't very popular by itself.
7Th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-02, 13:11   Link #99
Not_At

I'm excited, and I really hope the (Gundam?) pilot with the purple hair and the glasses turns out to be a girl and not a really bishie-looking guy.

Because there hasn't been a main character female Gundam pilot since Gundam 0080 in like...1991, and it's time for Gundam to move into the 21st century! I was hoping the main character would be female, but I'll be happy if one of the four are.

Last edited by Not_At; 2007-06-02 at 15:15.
Not_At is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-02, 13:18   Link #100
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Th View Post
Not like Seed Destiny despite it's own quality wasn't very popular by itself.
But that's the same way Geass is. Destiny was popular because SEED started off really well and managed to capture a fanbase successfully.

Tags
spoilers