AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Soul Eater

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-04-21, 07:10   Link #221
Kafriel
Senior Guest

New question: Since Kid is using two weapons, does that mean that he needs to gather 198 souls that turned into demon god eggs and 2 witch souls in order to make his twin pistols deathscythes?Also, taking his nature of symmetry, does that mean that he'll have to beat 2 witches at once in order for both Patty and Liz to have the same number of souls?
Old 2009-04-21, 08:54   Link #222
lmd_84

I think Shinigami said in episode 3 that Kid would need to get twice the number of souls because he had two Weapons. Presumably that's the same for Kirikou who also has two Weapons.

Kid would probably prefer for Liz and Patty to have exactly the same number of souls, though there's no suggestion its necessary. Shinigami strikes me as more concerned about Kid getting the job done right rather than worrying about symmetry, hence his reaction to the pyramid getting demolished. Kid went too far and was punished for it.

Also, although Liz and Patty ended up with an uneven number in the pyramid, Kid didn't bring it up (though perhaps because Kid was too concerned with the "nuisance" Pharoah and the Thompsons' differing cup sizes).

I also think it's quite possible that Kid would take the opportunity to confront two witches at once. It would be just the sort of thing he'd do, sacrificing common sense (true witches are no laughing matter, after all) for the sake of his notion of order.

Kid being Kid, if he ended up with an odd number, he could easily collect them himself (as he does with the squid-monster's soul in the manga) or give them to his father for the sake of Liz and Patty's symmetry. An uneven number of souls wouldn't be impossible to get around, even for him.
Old 2009-04-25, 22:49   Link #223
qwertyuiopz

at what chapter and episode did the anime start to drift off from the manga?

ive seen the anime now i wanna pick up from the manga
Old 2009-04-26, 04:47   Link #224
lmd_84

If you want to start from where the anime began to go into its own storyline, it'd be a good idea to pick it up just after the Asura arc. So, chapter 30 with the Reunion Express (Kid and the train) chapters.

I suggest it because although the Brew arc is where the anime really took a turn towards original material, the train story is done differently in the manga.

Earlier than that and you'd basically be reading what the anime put on screen with regards to Arachne and Giriko's debut and Black Star facing Mifune for the second time.

However, I would suggest that you read the manga from the beginning. There is a significant difference in Shibusen's goal - where the state of the 99 souls is not specified as 'evil' - and some of the storylines come about in a slightly different way, along with there being several scenes that were not used in the anime.
Old 2009-04-26, 12:38   Link #225
qwertyuiopz

ok thanks
i guess i should read from the beginning since reading is a ton faster

2nd question

will there be another season?
Old 2009-04-26, 15:26   Link #226
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Hmm...because of the way the anime ended, probably not, at least not until the Arachnophobia arc comes to an end without greatly influencing the Soul Eater world so that the anime can be reconnected to a new plot from the manga and start a season 2 from there...but honestly, there are so many things that changed during that arc that I don't think there will be a second one.
Old 2009-04-26, 19:21   Link #227
qwertyuiopz

i guess one can only hope
theres no much cliffhangers and potential plots

like the witch queen
makas mother
and the rest of shinigami's crew
Old 2009-04-27, 02:50   Link #228
lmd_84

If they continued the anime from the manga, they'd have to pick and choose quite a lot what they added in. The vast majority of what happens in the Baba Yaga arc simply doesn't coincide with what was done in the anime.

And even outside of those chapters alone, the characters and subplots were developed so differently that I can't see any continuation of the anime drawing on the manga all that closely. They could add in elements, as they did with the Sanzu Lines for Kid, but other than that it'd have to be original to avoid massive plot-holes and general incoherency. Linking back up with the manga at the end of the current arc just isn't going to happen. Those who are dead died in different ways, and some of those who the anime saved are dead in the manga. Come to think of it, the manga has a larger body-count...
Old 2009-05-04, 21:29   Link #229
ragweed
woah woah!

Quote:
Since Kid is using two weapons, does that mean that he needs to gather 198 souls that turned into demon god eggs and 2 witch souls in order to make his twin pistols deathscythes?
i believe shinigami told Kidd that he didnt have to collect souls since Kid was a shinigami

edit: nvm, he was referring to kid not needing to use weapons
Old 2009-05-13, 19:14   Link #230
Frozen_Angel
Gothy Lesbian from Hell

I have a quick question, in soul eater the frog girl, is her name Eruka or Elka, I notice she seems to be called both or am I miss something?
Old 2009-05-15, 16:17   Link #231
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Wiki says it's Eruka, deriving as an anagram of kaeru (frog).
Old 2009-08-18, 19:02   Link #232
Demoned Away

In episode 3 of the anime how did Death the Kid survive the beating from the Pharoah? I don't understand it at all. Is he immortal, or did he just miraculously not die?
Old 2009-08-19, 02:02   Link #233
Sno-Oki
OC Cosplayer-Aeron

We have to pass that off as his Shinigami body not being as vulnerable as humans. Unfortunately, there's so little information on Shinigami, that we really can't take an accurate gauge of his and Shinigami-sama's power.
Old 2009-08-21, 13:38   Link #234
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

DtK does make a comment in the manga somewhere (it must've been after one of the big arcs) about how it was tedious to go through medical exams because he was a shinigami (he may have said something like "having the body of a god") and he says right before the train arc that his skin doesn't burn and other stuff like that. So Shinigami's apparently are made of some stern stuff.
Old 2009-10-16, 15:29   Link #235
crash

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering-dreamer View Post
DtK does make a comment in the manga somewhere (it must've been after one of the big arcs) about how it was tedious to go through medical exams because he was a shinigami (he may have said something like "having the body of a god") and he says right before the train arc that his skin doesn't burn and other stuff like that. So Shinigami's apparently are made of some stern stuff.
Also he's somewhat resilient to poison. That's how the three white lines keep appearing after he dyed his hair

Question: Maka, Kid, Black Star and all their weapons did a group soul resonance. Does this mean that they could use each others weapons? (Black Star to use Soul for example)
Old 2009-10-16, 18:26   Link #236
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

I don't think so, I think it's more that with the group resonance everyone was fighting in sync, not that they could switch weapons. Maybe they could then if they really needed to but when Black Star and Soul tried to fight together against Kid in the beginning of the series they have a lot of trouble with it.
Old 2009-10-17, 02:04   Link #237
JunkKitty

I agree, remember during the Brew arc it was said the team resonance wasn't nearly as strong as meister/weapon resonance due to a concern Soul had about it.

I also got the idea that the team resonance was strongest between the meisters; the weapons were like spokes off of the wheel rather than all 7 people resonating equally. I recall Soul's impression of the team resonance was something he perceived through his connection with Makas uggesting he didn't have a direct connection to anyone else.
Old 2009-10-17, 05:32   Link #238
crash

I see. So what about the difference between meister and weapon? Is that explained somewhere in the manga? Are the meisters ordinary people? From what I saw in the anime weapons can do pretty well on their own.
Old 2009-10-17, 14:24   Link #239
JunkKitty

The differences between meister and weapon is unclear. People argue about it

A weapon seems to be an ordinary human who inherited two specific non-human traits: The abiilty to transform (probably derived from the witch transformation) and the trait that dictates the type of weapon (probably derived from the witch code that dictates symbol animal is my guess). Some weapons also have elemental skill sets such as manifesting fire.

People born weapons appear to be able to decide if they want to use that skill or not, otherwise they appear to be able to live normal lives.

It's not yet explained in the manga if a meister is born or trained.
There is no common skill or trait set that is seen in all meisters, so it is possible they're ordinary humans who have no special or unusual traits. It probably would help to inherit certain skills (such as something in the soul perception/manipulation area) but nothing in particular seems required as far as we've seen. Everyone's got a little bit of something different.

For all we know, in the SE world, many or most people are born with the potential to develop stuff like soul perception but unless they have a need or reason to, the potential isn't reached. But we really don't know any of this from the manga.

And it's not clear how any of this affects resonance but I'd guess two people need to have compatible souls to achieve the deeper resonance to allow one to be wielded but something like team resonance can be achieved between any people who work at it. Probably two meisters could seriously resonate but if one isn't a weapon able to amplify and evolve a form reflective of the wielder's soul, what good is it? And a weapon and a meister could team resonate easily, but it isn't enough to allow incompatible partnerships. At least, that's what I'm getting from what's been shown.

Hope that's somewhat helpful.

adding: some weapons can solo pretty well, some can't because they just don't learn or just can't learn. I'd bet that Soul and BS could team resonate if Soul was actually fighting himself but there's no reason to otherwise. Heh, I don't think they'd have had a better chance against Kid even if they had known how back in that duel!

Last edited by JunkKitty; 2009-10-17 at 14:28. Reason: Doh, solo weapons...
Old 2009-10-18, 02:58   Link #240
crash

Thanks JunkKitty for your comprehensive answer )) And there is another thing that got me curious.

In the last few chapters of the manga Kirikou was using Patti and Liz as well as his own weapons.I was wondering if he uses soul resonance with the Thompson sisters what would happen? Will they turn to the big guns they used to when Kid was using them? Or the Death Cannon attack is some move that only Kid uses?
Closed Thread

Tags
q&a