AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-10-13, 00:45   Link #1121
ellifeedn
Thinker

I guess Mako has a thing for girls in trouble.
ellifeedn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-13, 03:38   Link #1122
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Or maybe girls in trouble just have a thing for him.

I liked this episode. I agree that Varick is one of the villains. He may or may not be a final villain of the season, but lets not forget about Unalaq here. He's no good guy either.

So... Team Avatar is completely fragmented. I guess they didn't write that too badly. I actually understand Bolin and his frustration at being a butt monkey until this point. I still hope he grows out of this phase though. The best way to change people's attitudes is to either set a good example, or appeal to their qualities, rather than their shortcomings.

Last edited by Dengar; 2013-10-13 at 03:52.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-13, 05:47   Link #1123
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Varick is basically the main reason I'm watching the show at this point, so I hope they don't totally make him the villain here.

"Rest in peace, Rocky Bottom."
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-13, 17:01   Link #1124
Crashmaking Zoomatic
Umu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Varick is basically the main reason I'm watching the show at this point, so I hope they don't totally make him the villain here.

"Rest in peace, Rocky Bottom."
He looked pretty darn villainous when Mako barged in on him and Asami. That look was so good, I wouldn't mind seeing more of it...

So far, though, it just seems like everyone's kind of being...I don't want to say -stupid-, but not very smart, and just for plot purposes at that. It's the first kind of stupidity (okay I said it)! Mako seems to be the only one on top of it, but no one wants to listen to Mako.
Old 2013-10-13, 21:29   Link #1125
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashmaking Zoomatic View Post
So far, though, it just seems like everyone's kind of being...I don't want to say -stupid-, but not very smart, and just for plot purposes at that. It's the first kind of stupidity (okay I said it)! Mako seems to be the only one on top of it, but no one wants to listen to Mako.
No! They are being stupid. Especially Korra and Bolin >=02...well, mainly Korra and Bolin. Bolin's getting this stupid side story about a film and that Crystal girl(or whatever her name is), and it's just so stupid, because it does nothing for his character development, not that he's been that much useful on the battlefield anyway =0\. Meanwhile, Korra acted like an ass to her boyfriend, not even slightly attempted to listen to what he had to say, even though Mako wasn't being forceful in offering an explanation. I'm honestly glad they broke up.

At least Varrick being a bad guy was a nice plot twist. I mean, I know a couple of people here already hinted at the possibility, but I just couldn't see it with how silly he acted.

frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-13, 22:03   Link #1126
ChainLegacy
廉頗

I'm hoping Varrick is just manipulating the already existing situation to his benefit, and not that he's a grander mastermind or the "total villain." That would be kinda lame. I like him in the current role of using a bad situation to his advantage in a shady fashion because that's a good embodiment of your robber barons of capitalism. Anything more than that and you lose my support of his villainy. Plus, it'd be more interesting if you had several "villains" representing different issues on different sides... shades of grey and all that.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-14, 10:26   Link #1127
Crashmaking Zoomatic
Umu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
No! They are being stupid. Especially Korra and Bolin >=02
I was trying to be nice about it, but...yup. They all are, and it's really hard to watch. I've always quite liked Bolin, too, and while I can sort of see where he's coming from, I just...I dunno'. I'd like it if he was at least useful? Sokka could be an idiot, but he was a pretty smart idiot.

As far as Varrick goes, I can't really see him being the big bad here, but I think his plotline might be related to, as you put it, the capitalism aspect. If he's someone who doesn't care about the spirit world because, hey, that's passe, and gets into trouble for that, that would be interesting, but at the moment, I'm worried that he's somehow manipulating the Northern and Southern water tribes into fighting, and I dunno' how I feel about that.

I want to say that he's using shady tricks to help his own country, but I feel there's a lot more to that (and attacking your own culture center is of no help). I guess we'll find out in due time, though.
Old 2013-10-14, 16:55   Link #1128
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

It's very plausible that he's just taking advantage of the situation. If war breaks out, people are going to come to him for resources.
Old 2013-10-14, 18:17   Link #1129
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
It's very plausible that he's just taking advantage of the situation. If war breaks out, people are going to come to him for resources.
As he quite rightly said, if you can't make money in a war you can't make money period.
Old 2013-10-18, 09:26   Link #1130
james0246

I really liked this latest episode. Mako showing a commanding presence was fun, the boat chase was quite excellent, I actually like Korra's amnesia (she places way to much emphasis on being the Avatar, so trying to forge a personality outside of that could be great for her development), and Varrick's reveal as a not-good-guy (not sure were he is on the whole villain scale quite yet) was nicely done. Added to that was the wonderful sequence where Mako realizes the bombing incident used Varrick's technology; the entire sequence was quite masterfully done. Overall this is the best paced episode of the season so far, and it really made me interested in what's to come in the hour long episode later today.

As an aside, I am still unsure what to think of Bolin's storyline. I love that he is being used in propaganda (there is something quite deliciously cynical about it), and I hope Varrick keyed in on him as part of a larger plan to break up Team Avatar (which all of his actions have led to), but emotionally I am unsure where Bolin is within the story.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-18, 23:02   Link #1131
solidguy
I'm not a tumor

I don't feel the same sentiments about Bolin being displaced in the story, if anything I'll say he's getting more attention than he ever did in book one. He's tied to both the Varrick and Northern tribe plotlines so any time used on him is time used fleshing out both.
solidguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-19, 03:47   Link #1132
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

So... am I the first to talk about the new epsiode?

It was amazing.

I always thought the Avatar was kind of like a natural occurrence, but as it turns out, it was part of a contract that the first Avatar made with the light spirit.

At the same time it explains the nature of the Avatar State and why dying in that state will end the Avatar's cycle permanently.

Looks like the stakes have just been raised, with all of creation hanging in the balance this time.

On a side note, ten bucks says that weasel spirit will be making a return at some later point.

On a side side note, I really liked the art shift for this episode.
Old 2013-10-19, 04:42   Link #1133
Blaat

Can we cancel Korra and get a fullblown legend of Wan series? It says enough that, the by far best episodes of the Korra series didn't involve the characters and settings of Korra.

Anyway I was thinking of redeemed Azula when I saw the old fire lady, and checking other places I wasn't the only one.
Old 2013-10-19, 06:58   Link #1134
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

lol, if that turned out to be a redeemed Azula, I'm going to flip all of the tables. All of them.

Way to ruin a perfectly good character. I mean what the hell? You don't just "redeem" a perfectly good batshit insane psychopath.
Old 2013-10-19, 08:29   Link #1135
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Man....Legend of Wan had a thousand times more impact than Legend of Korra has ever had...hell, it's even close to Legend of Aang.

Can't we just skip Korra and just have a whole season or two of Wan?
Randrak42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-19, 10:06   Link #1136
killer3000ad

The ending of Beginnings Part 2:
Spoiler:
Old 2013-10-19, 10:34   Link #1137
kitten320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
Way to ruin a perfectly good character. I mean what the hell? You don't just "redeem" a perfectly good batshit insane psychopath.
Duno, Azula was never that bad in my eyes. Zuko was not a goody goody either. He actually employed an assassin to kill Aang off in season 3.

But if that really is Azula, that's too much of a change. I want her sarcasm back.
Though eyes of an old lady are bit more greenish so I kinda doubt it is her. Besides Azula uses blue fire.

Episodes wise they were great, especially second part. Looks like benders did not exist originally and just borrowed spirits powers.

A season about Wan with more detail of how his life went after would be great.
Old 2013-10-19, 11:19   Link #1138
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Korra who?
Old 2013-10-19, 11:46   Link #1139
ellifeedn
Thinker

I guess this means the first Avatar was a Firebender.
ellifeedn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-19, 12:10   Link #1140
Awrya
U mad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellifeedn View Post
I guess this means the first Avatar was a Firebender.
Not exactly sure, given how Wan, with the help of the lion turtles, could change his element (like changing equipment in games) and only carry one element at a time before he fused with the light spirit, I'd say the first avatar was a non-bender, as contradictory as it sounds.

I'd say the first true fire benders are the offspring of the settlers that left the lion turtle following Wan. For the other benders that'd be the offspring of those who kept the element of their respective lion turtle.

After this episode, my guess is Unalaq got tricked by Vatu the dark spirit or made a contract with him that in return for freeing him, he'll become the second avatar or something like this.

Tags
avatar the last airbender, korra