AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-05-08, 16:18   Link #1
ejitoss

something NOT childish

yeah i'm looking either for a drama/comedy anime where the guy isn't all embarassed in the tought of kissing the girl, or some crazy action where the characters doesnt look like kids...teenage is ok

exemple:

kimi ga nozomu eien (might be spelled wrong)
code geass
full metal panic
samurai champloo
vision of escaflowne
honey and clover

too young:

gundam (pretty much all of them)
shakugan no shana
canvas 2
Old 2008-05-08, 16:47   Link #2
Viperx

I think Planetes could be what you are looking for (kind of the most realistic anime I have seen).
More action and less romance, Claymore perhaps?
Old 2008-05-08, 16:50   Link #3
kjk8288
Caffein > Sleep

Anybody who likes code geass usually loves death note
Darker than black would definately fall under mature
Gankutsuou: The count of monte cristo
Speed grapher is quite mature as well

I just threw in some titles, your definition of non childish is a bit confusing =(
Old 2008-05-08, 17:25   Link #4
ejitoss

ok, ill try to specify more....basicly i want something more realistic (for the drama) and less kid with amazing power (for action) i also saw claymore it wasn't bad but i didn't love it...death note i adored the first half of the anime (without causing spoilers) but the rest fit my childish description a lil bit....

hope that was more specific
Old 2008-05-08, 18:04   Link #5
catrlgirl
The catgirl

two words elfen leid. Nothing childish about this. And the guy makes out several time with the females. Also it is very violent so expect blood and a lot of it.

Blood+ Also mature with great animation and plot it gets really deep and dramatic. Each character is really well developed.
Old 2008-05-08, 19:09   Link #6
Oxtail

NANA - probably the most mature and realistic romance drama I've come across.
Old 2008-05-08, 22:38   Link #7
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejitoss View Post
code geass
full metal panic
Not childish?
I lol'd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by catrlgirl View Post
two words elfen leid. Nothing childish about this. And the guy makes out several time with the females. Also it is very violent so expect blood and a lot of it.
Seconded, and while I do agree that Elfen Lied is mature, it's not for any of the reasons stated above.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxtail View Post
NANA - probably the most mature and realistic romance drama I've come across.
I find that 5 Centimeters per Second is more realistic, and I'd estimate that the story has happened thousands (if not more) of times in real relationships.
It's also quite amazing eye candy.

Death Note has some of the most puerile characters that seem mature because they're geniuses. Imagine ten-year olds that can solve higher level calculus.

Baccano! has some crazy action between characters that don't look like kids (ZOMG MOST OF THEM ARE ADULTS!), but it's not the most mature anime.
Old 2008-05-08, 23:13   Link #8
Cynor
SS Bombardment Mage

Besides Kimi Ga, one of the most mature animes I can think of is certainly Elfen Lied. There is a little bit of the whole "do I kiss her" thing going on iirc, but you really aren't going to find an anime that isn't like that imo. Well, except maybe a hentai... But back onto Elfen Lied, there is certainly a good mix of action, drama, and romance. What makes it really mature though is how graphic it is. Full blood/gore and above the waist nudity runs wild in it. I I'm not 100 sure on the name, but a friend of mine said the only more bloody/gorey series he had seen (at the time) was like Berserk I think.

You may also want to check out Fate/Stay Night. It's slightly more on the childish side, but is really a good watch where everything is nicely balanced and the main char isn't totally idiotic about romance and kissing and such.

We will always exist before our Mistress of the Night Sky, Hayate
Old 2008-05-09, 00:18   Link #9
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynor View Post
Besides Kimi Ga, one of the most mature animes I can think of is certainly Elfen Lied. There is a little bit of the whole "do I kiss her" thing going on iirc, but you really aren't going to find an anime that isn't like that imo. Well, except maybe a hentai... But back onto Elfen Lied, there is certainly a good mix of action, drama, and romance. What makes it really mature though is how graphic it is. Full blood/gore and above the waist nudity runs wild in it. I I'm not 100 sure on the name, but a friend of mine said the only more bloody/gorey series he had seen (at the time) was like Berserk I think.
Gah, why must this happen?

Blood + gore =/= mature.
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni isn't mature because it has some of the most shocking violence in anime, and while its maturity is arguable, it's the unraveling of the story and mystery that makes it mature, and not its blood.

Nudity doesn't necessarily make it "mature", just less suitable for children.
What's mature about Elfen Lied is that it follows several themes that people generally don't care about since they'd rather oggle naked lolis and flying body parts.
Spoiler for Elfen Lied:

And yes, it was probably Berserk that your friend was speaking of.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynor View Post
You may also want to check out Fate/Stay Night. It's slightly more on the childish side, but is really a good watch where everything is nicely balanced and the main char isn't totally idiotic about romance and kissing and such.
He's idiotic in pretty much every other way, though.
I wouldn't recommend this since it's similar to Shakugan no Shana, which you somehow found to be more childish than Full Metal Panic! and Code Geass
Old 2008-05-09, 01:00   Link #10
Cynor
SS Bombardment Mage

Elfen Lied is a great piece of work due to all the varying tones in it, such as the things you pointed out, and how it all weaves together. However, I think you misunderstood what I was saying there a little. I know blood and violence and nudity don't always equal mature. However, in the world we live in today more often then not the first things people look at when trying to decide whether something is "for mature audiences" is going to be just how much violence and blood and such is in it. When I was saying "what makes it really mature" I was just saying that those factors just add onto the maturity and almost immediately make you think "wow, this certainly is not childish or for kids."

For example, going into the start of Kimi Ga you really can't guess right off the bat (aka first episode) that it is going to twist into one of the more mature storied animes out there. The first episode, and even up to the end of the second, could easily have taken the series down just the standard romance route. Towards the 3rd you realize there is a lot more going on there, and then shortly after that everything just ties together and you can see it for what it really is. Elfen Lied just leaves everything on the floor, and by the end of the first episode (iirc) there isn't really any question what direction the story is going to take.

Now, that really deals a bit more with mature in the sense of "would I want a kid to watch this" (which is why blood and such doesn't always mean a mature series) but that doesn't mean it's any less valid (imo) then looking at the story alone. Especially since most anime are going to have all sorts of undertones many people (well kids at least) wont pick up on, Elfen Lied's are just a lot darker.

Old 2008-05-09, 01:19   Link #11
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
I'm not sure where we're at but I'll comment on Kimi ga Nozomu Eien. It's true that I expected it to be a cliché romance/comedy/school series while I was watching episode one. In fact, I started the first episode like three times and could not get through it, almost dropping it in the process. Look where it is now in my rankings. The clue for me was the confirmation of a relationship at the end of episode one, and there won't be any I-love-you/I-hate-you deal going on like in Love Hina et al.

The fact that most people miss is that Elfen Lied is mature because of both violence and themes, not just one of them. However, I will say that Elfen Lied is a very bad choice to show people that anime is mature. I still think that all non-Nyuu scenes featuring nudity is not fanservice and they are there to emphasize on a theme/symbol/motif. The violence also isn't in excess, but is required. What's more likely to impact your view on abortion, a statement saying that "abortion is bad" or a picture of what comes out when a "child" is aborted? Believe me, I've seen the picture. I'm also not stating my views on abortion or will continue discussing this matter.
Old 2008-05-09, 01:51   Link #12
Cynor
SS Bombardment Mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
I will say that Elfen Lied is a very bad choice to show people that anime is mature.
I agree with you there. If I was going to try to convert someone off the whole "anime is for kids" things I'd probably start with Kimi Ga, and if after explaining/seeing that they still think anime is for kids and can't be mature....

Anyways, I don't think the OP is someone who needs to be shown anime can be mature since he's already seen a couple, he just wants more mature anime that isn't something a bit... shall we say early teen since the vast majority isn't for pre-teens.

Old 2008-05-10, 01:13   Link #13
Gomenasai
The Poster-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejitoss View Post
ok, ill try to specify more....basicly i want something more realistic (for the drama) and less kid with amazing power (for action) i also saw claymore it wasn't bad but i didn't love it...death note i adored the first half of the anime (without causing spoilers) but the rest fit my childish description a lil bit....

hope that was more specific
So the second something young is put in a series, it is deemed childish?
Old 2008-05-10, 03:30   Link #14
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomenasai View Post
So the second something young is put in a series, it is deemed childish?
Are we referring to Death Note?
Because if we are, the whole thing was childish from the start, it's just more noticeable when you have a 20+ year old genius acting like a toddler who doesn't get his way.

Also, wasn't his sister a loli pretty young before the time skip?
Quote:
Originally Posted by S Class hunter Amon View Post
<snip>
The age thing was being used figuratively as a comparison with a loose age:intelligence ratio to show how smart the characters were.
Death Note is an anime that focuses on a main character who is the epitome of a spoiled idealist, and idealism is one of the most childish traits to be had.
The whole series focuses on his elaborate plan to create his own personal playground a utopia for mankind, and is filled with so much childish pretention that it still amazes me.

Of course, though I admit to seeing many of the flaws in Death Note, it's still one of my favourite mystery/thriller anime.

Back on the main topic, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann may or may not fit.
I personally think it's quite childish, but it fits to your terms.
The characters don't really have the "nervous kissing fear" thing, and though one of the main characters is young for the first two-thirds of the series, but he grows up in the latter third.

Last edited by xris; 2008-05-10 at 05:22.
Old 2008-05-10, 08:29   Link #15
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Quote:
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni isn't mature because it has some of the most shocking violence in anime, and while its maturity is arguable, it's the unraveling of the story and mystery that makes it mature, and not its blood.
Very true, though I would add the depth of the characters to the list of factors contributing to the maturity of Higurashi. I doubt the original poster is looking for mature anime in the sense of "damn, this should be censored".

Anyway, the suggestion:

Planetes - pretty much all characters are pass their teens and actually behave in accordance with their age, something that is too rare in anime. And it's a brilliant sci-fi series even not counting the character development.

Monster - dark, realistic, disturbing, mature, gripping. 74 episodes but in the end one is left with the desire to watch more and more.

Baccano! - disjointed mysterious plot, picturesque, yet rather complex characters and lots of action.

Old 2008-05-10, 08:41   Link #16
Ichihara Asako
Horoist

Rescue Wings. All adult cast, in a real world modern day environment. Not really much comedy, though, it's a pretty serious drama. On the same tier as PlanetES, which I also second (or third or whatever ^^)
Old 2008-05-10, 08:52   Link #17
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Pokemon, its about people enslaving animals to do mortal combat with one another. Great stuff!

er... um, so... what do you consider to be "mature" people view this differently. Adults tend to see "mature" as something that has a theme that is typically complex for the younger audience, while the younger audience thinks "mature" is extreme violence and boobies. Which one are you?
Old 2008-05-10, 09:04   Link #18
Sol Badguy
SOON

Send a message via AIM to Sol Badguy
Quote:
gundam (pretty much all of them)
Try 08th MS Team, I think you would be pleasantly surprised by it.
Old 2008-05-10, 12:54   Link #19
catrlgirl
The catgirl

I guess I didn't explain myself when I suggested Elfen Leid I meant it as a warning and I agree with all of you about the theme of it illegal human/ Sentient creature torture and abuse. Forced experimentation and neglect = a very deep and complex subplot make it a very mature anime Too complex for children also the violence and nudity make it graphic not for the squeamish
Old 2008-05-10, 13:03   Link #20
Tran225

awwww gundam is childish?

uhh if u want something mature i really recommend elfen lied or school days
Closed Thread

Tags
adult_characters, mature