AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2017-04-21, 12:26   Link #221
blakstealth
Cinderella Gang or Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso Sciolto View Post

Which ties in with:... and my curiosity about the subtitles used in the theatrical releases in any language. Do either of you or someone else by any chance recall how the term "Musubi" was dealt with in translation? I searched this thread but "Mususbi" didn't turn up a mention of the word here yet, as far as I could tell.

On a related note. Did you by any chance see if translations were given for the writing on the blackboard? ... and in that context, has the up-counting in the first names of the female line of the Miyamizu family been noted, here or in the translated dialogue of the film itself, perhaps? Something members of a non-Japanese speaking audience might not note but that too has been mentioned in other fora where the symbolism in the film has come up.
Hm, Musubi. What do you mean? I mean, they used the term "Musubi" in the subs. But I don't think that's what you meant.

edit: I found the exact subtitles used when the grandma was explaining what Musubi was.

Quote:
“Musubi is the old way of calling the local guardian God. This world has profound meaning. Tying thread is Musubi. Connecting people is Musubi. The flow of time is Musubi. These are all the God’s power. So the braided cords that we make are the God’s art and represent the flow of time itself. They converge and take shape. They twist, tangle, sometimes unravel, break, then connect again. Musubi – knotting. That is time.”
As far as the writing on the chalk. I THINK I remember one part was translated to "Kataware Doki [twilight]" or something like that. It was what the teacher wrote and was talking about in that scene.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite Zenith View Post
I bet Half-Life 3 comes out sooner All jokes aside, however, I think that the October 31 that Amazon has given might be plausible, and if the Japanese screenings are done, they might push out the release date soon.
Are you talking about the UK Amazon? I thought that date was just a placeholder. At least, that's what the UK licensor's tweet said.

Last edited by blakstealth; 2017-04-21 at 12:46.
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-21, 22:10   Link #222
Verso Sciolto

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakstealth View Post
Hm, Musubi. What do you mean? I mean, they used the term "Musubi" in the subs. But I don't think that's what you meant.

edit: I found the exact subtitles used when the grandma was explaining what Musubi was.[quote omitted]

As far as the writing on the chalk. I THINK I remember one part was translated to "Kataware Doki [twilight]" or something like that. It was what the teacher wrote and was talking about in that scene.
"Musubi" is what I mean. (I fixed one of my typos in that comment you replied to.) I think it is nice that the word itself was used in the subtitles you saw. If that's what you saw on the screen then those lines in the subtitles will make it easier for others to find their way to "Musubi" in the context of "Shinto" as well. It is always a delicate matter but leaving in a word like that and adding a little exposition, to briefly describe the word's meaning or the concepts behind it, conjures different imagery than if a word like that gets a direct, perhaps literal, translation. Just like "Kami" gives people, from various different places around the world, different mental images than the words "God", "god" or "gods" do, or words for deity and deities in languages other than Japanese and English for that matter.

What Eriko Ogihara-Schuck explored -and continued to explore- in the context of Hayao Miyazak's work may apply to Makoto Shinkai's creations abroad as well. With similar issues confronting translators but perhaps with different approaches and solutions. Ultimately perhaps with even a slightly different reception, receptiveness, among overseas audiences as a result of earlier export experiences.

In another previous comment I transcribed a bit of the writing from the blackboard. The teacher doesn't verbally repeat all the words she wrote in her lesson and didn't specifically mention the attribution she wrote for a poem she wrote out, for example. I just noticed that I didn't include the transcription of her attribution in that comment. Her attribution says: ー作者不詳 万葉集.
Sometimes a text box is put up on screen to translate visible text elements like that.

Thank you for relating your memories about the subtitles. I've been curious how translators preparing the film for screenings outside Japan dealt with the writing on the blackboard - which is visible but may not be legible on screen (Depending on the audience). The written notes provide slightly different guidance than the words spoken. I don't remember hearing Yuki-sensei say "Man'yōshū", for example, so that might not have shown up in the subtitles used in theatres.

Last edited by Verso Sciolto; 2017-04-21 at 22:43.
Verso Sciolto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-22, 19:43   Link #223
blakstealth
Cinderella Gang or Die

This thought just hit me and I dunno if it's been mentioned before: wouldn't have Taki and Mitsuha been able to tell that something was up when each of them looked at the dates of their respective dream timelines? I find it hard to believe that none of them realized that they weren't in the same timeline year since they both live in a world where it's almost impossible NOT to know such information. Or is this detail covered by the whole "not remembering what you dream/hazy memories" situation?
Old 2017-04-22, 21:37   Link #224
Verso Sciolto

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakstealth View Post
... dates ... timelines ...
From a slightly different angle. Going back to the translation I cited of the poem Yuki-sensei had transcribed in Modern Japanese onto the classroom blackboard before we joined her lesson in this film. A translation I referenced in a previous comment, from "1000 poems from Manyoshu", gave "September" for 9月. That poem was written and had been collected into the "Man'yōshū" by people who didn't use the Gregorian Calendar, however. The ninth month, the ninth moon, of the calendar used back then was called, Nagatsuki, translated into English as "the long month". Most of its days fell in what is now called October in English but it is still, somewhat confusingly, called ku-gatsu, the ninth month, in the country now called Japan. Such a seemingly simple and straightforward translation of a month results in the conjuring of different mental imagery and associations. The seasons mattered to the inhabitants of these islands back then. A shift of approximately a month wihin any season is not a trivial matter when interpreting the meaning of the words, the sentiments conveyed.
Verso Sciolto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-24, 19:58   Link #225
Mad Pierrot
The only one Glorious

'your name.' Anime Film Tops US$4 Million in N. America

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...merica/.115252
Mad Pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote