AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

View Poll Results: Lucky Star - Episode 5 Rating
Perfect 10 33 25.98%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 48 37.80%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 30 23.62%
7 out of 10 : Good 9 7.09%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 1.57%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.79%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 4 3.15%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-05-08, 14:08   Link #101
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post

I'm rather interested in hearing how and what sort of songs Tsukasa and Miyuki sing (e.g., will they be anime tunes or some traditional children's song? Or will Tsukasa innocently pick some really slutty song and have no clue about the meaning?)
As I listen to a Karaoke version of Colors from Code Geass I certainly hope none of them try to do that.

I don't know what they would do. To this date I honestly have no idea what they would sing as I don't know enough about them. Most of the focus has been on Konata, I'd say at least 50% and then Kagami about 30% and then about 15% Miyuki and Tsukasa, "Who are you?" The cute little sister? I really don't know anything about you. Tsukasa as of episode 5 really has no distinguishable character other than the fact that she exists. I guess we could say Miyuki is an oneesan type so I could see her doing more mainstream Japanese music.

What was that song from Tales of Phantasia, Yume Wa Orinai, I could see her doing the piano version of that. This one That's what I'd see Miyuki singing. Oh teary eyed, such a good song. WAAAAAAAAAAAAH!
Old 2007-05-08, 14:14   Link #102
Ffenix Rising
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risaa View Post
Aha no worries. I'm sorry I got a bit snappy. Though, I do agree with what you said right here, so I try to have a neutral POV (though admittedly I tend to have a positive, totally optimistic view on my shows ). Don't take what I said to mean that I dislike Lucky*Star; it's already on my favorites list. (It's battling ARIA for X place at the moment...)
Don't be sorry, my uncouth/snarky behavior is uncalled for, however my POV stands. Anyway, I should also apologize for seeing the comments as 100% negative. At least everyone has some reasoning, even though I strongly disagree and advice (though rather poorly executed) to please re-think their reasoning.

Although I did intentionally try to rock the boat with my comments earlier, my other intention was to at least get my point across somehow and not get lost in the hundreds of posts that are already in this thread that went unnoticed. Yeah, it is a bit of a forum-whoring tactic, but at least it worked.

But in hindsight, there is always someone in the opposition and I should just shut the hell up and not get into Serious Business(TM). This is the Interwebs/tubes/nets after all.
Old 2007-05-08, 14:37   Link #103
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
What was that song from Tales of Phantasia, Yume Wa Orinai, I could see her doing the piano version of that. This one That's what I'd see Miyuki singing. Oh teary eyed, such a good song. WAAAAAAAAAAAAH!
Personally I'd love it if Miyuki could sing some head-banging hard metal song, but whatever. Actually... come to think of it, it'd be awesome if she could sing a song in a foreign language.

*shokku* "Miyuki, you're fluent in another language?"
*blushes slightly* "Well... I'm fluent in English, Latin Maori, and Klingon."
"Impressive! You study so much.. especially compared to Kona here."
"Actually, I'm fluent in l337."

@Ffenix Rising-san, no worries.
Old 2007-05-08, 14:43   Link #104
Fixen
ZnT Translator

Quote:
Personally I'd love it if Miyuki could sing some head-banging hard metal song, but whatever.
Death Note or Black Lagoon, take your pick. XD

I agree...it'd be supremely hilarious for the two innocent characters to unknowingly pick something totally off character.

I still don't like Miyuki though.
Old 2007-05-08, 14:45   Link #105
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Personally I'd love it if Miyuki could sing some head-banging hard metal song, but whatever. Actually... come to think of it, it'd be awesome if she could sing a song in a foreign language.

*shokku* "Miyuki, you're fluent in another language?"
*blushes slightly* "Well... I'm fluent in English, Latin, and Klingon."
"Impressive! You study so much.. especially compared to Kona here."
"Actually, I'm fluent in l337."

@Ffenix Rising-san, no worries.
Well if she ends up being fluent in english there is honestly only one choice then and a must do. There Must Be Something (That Comes Flooding Into My Heart)

I kind of feel this type of singing just seems right for someon so prim and proper. I don't get the sense she has a hidden side that makes her want to bust out with Abingdon School Boys Howling or something similar.
Old 2007-05-08, 15:05   Link #106
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
<snork> Perhaps Miyuki could do a cover of "Maze in the Dark" (from the Negima Scary-Girls CD with Evangeline, Chach, and Sayoko).

I tripped across a "j-ska" group called Yum! Yum! Orange! .... my gut tells me Miyuki might like that sort of music secretly
Old 2007-05-08, 15:07   Link #107
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
...Tsukasa as of episode 5 really has no distinguishable character other than the fact that she exists....
This is not how I see it. She's not that smart, but knows how that drink got the name "Blue Hawaii". She watches cooking shows on TV and loves the sound of foreign words like "barusamiko su." She puts things off to the last minute and doesn't do that well in school. She has weird ideas about things like how people get coughs or sneezes, and is not shy about naively telling people her ideas. She can sleep till afternoon if allowed to. She respects her elder twin, and listens to what she says, but then doesn't actually follow her advice. She is very, very cute, and seems younger than any of the others. Et cetera. I'm not sure what all this means about choice of music: innocent choosing of raunchy song makes sense, or foreign song badly mispronounced, or kids' song, perhaps, or song about food?
Quote:
]I guess we could say Miyuki is an oneesan type so I could see her doing more mainstream Japanese music.
I agree about the choice of music, but I think she's more an ojou-san type, the daughter of a "good family." Her dojikko nature partly disqualifies her as an onee-san type, perhaps. But she is certainly everyone else's elder in knowledge.

In researching them for my seiyuus page, it seems that both VAs have sung with groups. Endou Aya (Miyuki) sings with Plume Story, which performs in maids' outfits (may give one a hint of their musicianship), and Fukuhara Kaori (Tsukasa) was one of the seiyuu (Chihara Minori and Ueda Kana being two of the others) who sang tracks on Bohemian Quarter's album Blister Pack Voices. She sang a track called "Phantom Pain."
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2007-05-08, 18:36   Link #108
thehunterattack
Member of Haruhism

a.f.k. episode 5 is out
Old 2007-05-08, 19:41   Link #109
Fixen
ZnT Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehunterattack View Post
a.f.k. episode 5 is out
Thank you for the news...I wouldn't have checked on Tuesday given their usual schedule. How pleasantly surprising.
Old 2007-05-08, 20:38   Link #110
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

I'm waiting for Lucky Channel's since there's less of a cult around their fansubs. Plus I've been following there's this whole time anyway so might as well stick with them.
Old 2007-05-08, 20:39   Link #111
LuckyCat
Wise Kitty Cat

CHA-LA HEAD CHA-LA was gold. Oh god her voice cracked.
Old 2007-05-08, 20:43   Link #112
Crazy_O

its 4a.m. here,
the only thing that kept me awake and away from homework were 2 new items i got in a popular mmorpg, i was testing how they improved me in some smaller dungeons.

i get off the game dl lukystar 05 and then.... i still cant stop laughing when i think abot that scene

omg that was so nice... XD
Old 2007-05-08, 21:11   Link #113
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

I'm really surprised at AFK's speed this time around. Maybe to make up for last week? XD Though a more plausible explanation is that since this ep is more MMO related, it was easier to translate. Whatever the case, I'm pleasantly surprised.

With this being MMO focused, I am so glad I played WoW, even if it was only for a month. Otherwise I wouldn't get most of the jokes in this ep, particularly when Kona starting to spew MMO jargon and the chat scene (I mean, I'm sure everyone has met someone in an MMO who all they did was type something like rotflcopter). AFK really handled that well IMO if someone like me could get it, though it would've been better to have their subtitles on top since sometimes the subs obstructed what was being typed.

Other funny bits...
- Yui thinking Kona's friends are older than her. While not exactly lol funny (except for assuming they hit puberty early XD), but when she assumed their teacher was also of the same age... ROTFL!

-Miyuki not knowing Blue Hawaii, but Tsukasa does? To put it bluntly... 'When you learn something from Tsukasa, it feels like you really failed.'

-Not really funny, but I do find it amusing that the girls are melancholy about their lack of romance.

-Galge, flag, event scene, Yukata, outdoors. I'm sure most people who have played a number of those kind of games would have found that funny. XD (What's surprising though is that Kagami stopped Kona halfway, probably knowing where it's headed. Makes one wonder if Kagami is familiar with those kind of games.)

-Fish running away from Kagami, then Kagami shouting 'Gotta catch'em all!'

-Was it just me, or did Kona actually say 'uguu' this time around during the chat scene?

-Kona and Tsukasa playing with the electric fan I can understand, but Kagami??? Especially funny when she was caught in the act when she thought no one was looking. XD

-FLY AWAY!

One thing though, Lucky Channel sucked this time around. Not because it was getting old, but it was just that there weren't any references that I saw, nor was it funny. It didn't feel like the usual LC at all. Oh well, try again next time.

EDIT: There was a reference after all. They put Yutaka instead of Akira in the script, and it would've been funny if I knew who Yutaka was in the first place. XD

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
Old 2007-05-08, 21:21   Link #114
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
it would've been better to have their subtitles on top since sometimes the subs obstructed what was being typed.
Aha! An instance that shows it would be a bit better if there were black bars for the subtitles to reside in.

I was so surprised at thehunterattack-san's post about afk's version being out already, I immediately dismissed it as a joke. Sorry!
Old 2007-05-08, 21:24   Link #115
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiosai View Post
CHA-LA HEAD CHA-LA was gold. Oh god her voice cracked.
Well I'm just glad I can go too bad that I am not the only one who thought her voice kind of cracked (The weird thing is, the song doesn't actually go into that high a pitch). So good to know I'm not out of it or losing touch with reality.

Thank You, you don't know it, but you've given me a lot of comfort with this post.
Old 2007-05-08, 21:54   Link #116
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
...There was a reference after all. They put Yutaka instead of Akira in the script, and it would've been funny if I knew who Yutaka was in the first place. XD
Yutaka is the name of the fired director. That reference was pure gold, and gives me confidence that they aren't going to go soft now. Especially since they went on to ask for the director, or even the producer. EDIT: Maybe that reference was just fortuitous, since that other Yutaka appears to exist, from DragoonKain's later post. But at least they left it in.

I know nothing about MMOs and still found most references at least marginally understandable and quite funny.

As usual, I've now seen this ep three times: raw, Chinsub and Engsub, and it's funnier each time -- and not just because I understand the languages progressively better. This show, to use Miyuki's seiyuu Endou Aya's metaphor, gets tastier the more you chew on it.

The "depleted uranium" reference coming out of nowhere, and Tsukasa's cheery way of talking about it was one of my favorites.

I totally loved Hirano Aya's "Saa. Ikooou!" (Let's gooo!) as Konata pranced away after the obi scene. I thought her obi looked weird, but did it look special, instead?

I also loved that glutinous "wakuwaku, wakuwaku" (Can't wait!) from Konata/Aya when Yui was about to shoot.

The way they animated Konata walking in geta was pretty amusing, too.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2007-05-08 at 22:25.
Old 2007-05-08, 22:03   Link #117
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

In regards to Yutaka, I actually had in mind Kona's cousin (younger sister of Yui, from what Vexx has said). That's because both are short, and both have red hair, thus the 'funny' reference in them changing Akira's name to Yutaka in the script. Sadly, I only knew about Yutaka after reading this thread, which is after I saw afk's subs. XD

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
Old 2007-05-08, 22:14   Link #118
Skane
Anime Snark

Talking

The following is based on [a.f.k.]'s fansub.

Random Thoughts on Ep05:
---- ----
  • The theme of this episode seems to be online gaming, and not the summer festival; which befits the nature of the source material, since this is a show about an otaku girl and her friends, and not your standard "bishoujo".
  • It was not really emphasised in the earlier episodes, but this episode confirms that Kagami does rankle Konata's "armour" with her nagging and "evil" comments. Examples include Konata's reaction to Kagami's comment that summer vacation meant Kagami would not need to see Konata on a daily basis, while another one is when Konata compared Nanako-sensei's online nagging to Kagami's yelling at her in school (before going into ORZ-mode).
  • Nanako-sensei and Cousin Yui are like the grown-up versions of Kagami and Konata respectively. Nanako-sensei even has the same expressive"WTH" responses as Kagami to Cousin Yui's mannerisms.
  • The girls are looking for romance? I found Kagami's actions when Tsukasa queried about "Dating Sims" to be particularly intriguing. It was not too long ago that Kagami asked why Konata was so familiar with such games, and yet, in this scene, it is heavily implied that Kagami is well-versed on the nature of such games as well (which is not unusual really, considering their ages).
  • Man... Kagami is like, the most weepy-eyed girl amongst them all. Her emotional teary-eyed talk to the goldfish really brought out the "little girl" within her. Makes me wonder how she will react if the goldfish died (as they are wont to do, since their constitution is like wet tissue).
  • Kagami reminds me of characters in which they always try to put on a "mature" front, but desperately want to behave like a child. The electric-fan scene nicely illustrated this. Points to Konata for not needling Kagami about it, despite being heckled by Kagami earlier on.

Konata is probably one of the few characters who actively knows what Kagami wants to do (as opposed to what Kagami thinks she should do), without directly showing it. On a sub-concious level (or rather, on a level that Kagami will not actively acknowledge), Kagami probably knows that Konata knows her best, and thus forming the very basis of their friendship, despite appearing hostile towards each other.
  • It was a little mean of Kagami to play games in front of her friends when they were doing their homework.
  • ADD] The scene transition problems that plagued the first four episodes were practically non-existent in this episode, which is a good thing.
Cheers.

Last edited by Skane; 2007-05-08 at 22:21. Reason: Made a mistake about the credits.
Old 2007-05-08, 22:31   Link #119
Konata-chan
Wannabe Konata Izumi

Send a message via AIM to Konata-chan Send a message via MSN to Konata-chan
I watched AFK's episode 5 sub. So what is it about the group that has a cult following?

This episode solidified my love for this show all around, and not just because of Konata. Kagami is starting to make just as witty comments as Kona herself. However, what made me truly starting liking Kagamin were two things: the fact that she tried to hide playing with her voice on the fan, and when she uttered "Getto da ze!" trying to catch the fish. Konata will always have a special place in my heart, but the show would fail without Kagami.

Tsukasa is also starting to make her own presence in the show. The Blue Hawaii scene and the balsamic vinegar scene were such examples of us getting a glimpse into her character. However, she hasn't made me laugh out loud yet...

Kona's little quips never cease to amaze me, and that scene where she was struggling with the homework by herself made me want to hug her so badly! The fact that she considered taking the boy home with her is also another example of why I love Konata; even with her hobbies and interests she hasn't lost touch with the real world. But since I am not much of a MMORPG player myself, I lost touch with some of the references and didn't truly appreciate Konata's character as much as episode 4.

I checked Wiki, and it seems that Yutaka is the same given name for the first LS director AND Konata's younger cousin who has yet to make an appearance on this show. Maybe she could be referring to both, but at separate instances?

Cousin Yui Nanami. I really do like her character too since I see her as a more "mainstream" and mature version of Konata. Her interaction with Nanami was just pure gold! Her cluelessness (especially with how she interpreted "being alone") is quite funny; I look forward to watching her more.

9.5/10. If all other episodes airing afterward are as funny as this and episode 4, this will surely replace Hachikuro as my most favorite show of all time.
Old 2007-05-08, 23:10   Link #120
Wandering_Youth
lost in wonder forever...

Wow. This is my kind of episode. All about MMORPGs + Konata equals win. Man, I can't believe I was like that back when I was in high school, but I'm not as nerdy as Konata whenever I found a super item. I would never imagined that Konata plays a warrior character. I always though of her as more of a theif/rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
[*]It was a little mean of Kagami to play games in front of her friends when they were doing their homework.
Spoiler: