AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-04-19, 06:44   Link #61
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

That and the whole Edogawa homage the show obviously is catering to. A yet another detective show that pays its due to the likes of Sherlock Holmes and Edogawa = Detective Cona.... er... Twenty Face's Daughter.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-19, 08:33   Link #62
Dop
Mmmm....

I really enjoyed the first episode, one of the best first episodes of the current crop. The whole look and feel, the gallant honourable thief with his own private twin-hulled airship.
How cool is that?

I shall definitely be watching more.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-19, 10:56   Link #63
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

I really enjoyed ep. 1 too. Chika is cute and Twenty Faces does remind me of Roger from Big 0.

What a sad family situation. You got to wonder about people who can poison you and do it with a smile.
Old 2008-04-19, 11:04   Link #64
ZODDGUTS

Yeah that guy reminded me of Roger from Big O also the tone of the series is similiar to that series as well.
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-19, 20:09   Link #65
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Ep2 r0x. That is all.
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-19, 22:44   Link #66
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Awww, now I'm curious! The first episode was pretty intriguing enough as it is.
darkchibi07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-20, 08:20   Link #67
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll View Post
Ep2 r0x. That is all.
Damn right. That was hugely satisfying episode. Probably the first one of the new season where everything just clicked for me. I loved the pacing, it really leapt along with plenty of action and adventuring with some nice character development for Chiko.

Spoiler for ep2:

Animation was great too, especially in the first half during the destruction of the island hideout and the big gun. Plus bonus points for inclusion of a VW Beetle in the car chase
Sonhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-20, 13:58   Link #68
Irkalla
I asked for this

Ah, ep. 2 was great!
Chiko is really starting to evolve, a couple of more episodes and she'll be like Cat's eye
Old 2008-04-20, 14:29   Link #69
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll View Post
Ep2 r0x. That is all.
Like Sonhex, I'll quote that for truth.
Spoiler for ep2:
And I continue to love both the OP and ED. I'm at the stage where hearing the opening strains of the OP gives me a thrill. Not just because a show I like is starting, but because the song creates the right emotions of anticipation. And the great flow of images late in the OP of Chiko at her most thief-like give me chills. I guess I'm hooked. The OP and ED are directed and storybarded by Yano Yuichiro, who was the director of Tales of Agriculture and Unihabited Planet Survive.

Here's a pic from Aya's blog of herself with Uchida Yuya, who plays the Boss. He is basically a stage actor. He has only done five anime, and this is his first starring role, but he has dubbed many foreign movies and TV shows and 11 stage dramas are listed in Japanese Wikipedia.

By the way, there is a mini-PV on YouTube of Aya's ED, which comes out this week. The song and singing do it for me, but if they don't for others there are also the loooong legs (Aya's standard outfit now often seems to include very short shorts) and the lollipop (!?)
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2008-04-20 at 15:15.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-20, 18:16   Link #70
DangerMouse

Awesome hype for ep2, can't wait

I was totally hooked on ep 1 finally seeing it in subbed form.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-20, 19:27   Link #71
ani_d

Just saw episode 1. I heart it. <3 I wish they'd release episode 2 soon lol

I'm just wondering how come the only time Aya Hirano sounds normal is when she does dubbing and when she sings. I saw one of her interviews and her real-life voice is so nasal. Is that really how she talks? :|
ani_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-20, 19:35   Link #72
Kang Seung Jae
神聖カルル帝国の 皇帝

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_d View Post
Just saw episode 1. I heart it. <3 I wish they'd release episode 2 soon lol

I'm just wondering how come the only time Aya Hirano sounds normal is when she does dubbing and when she sings. I saw one of her interviews and her real-life voice is so nasal. Is that really how she talks? :|
Quite a few people are like that.

For example, my voice is pretty high-toned when I talk normally, but then becomes deep when I do Korean subs and songs.

On episode 2: I want that giant tank!
Kang Seung Jae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-20, 23:16   Link #73
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_d View Post
...I'm just wondering how come the only time Aya Hirano sounds normal is when she does dubbing and when she sings. I saw one of her interviews and her real-life voice is so nasal. Is that really how she talks? :|
Kang Seung Jae is certainly right, but I also think that high voice Aaya uses in interviews is partly a cutesy Japanese-girl polite show voice she puts on, thinking it appropriate for the situation. Have a listen to this segment of her NHK interview from last year, starting around the two minute mark. I think that's likely closer to how she normally speaks. There is also an interview with her toward the end of her idol DVD in which she seems more natural than any other place I've heard her speak.

By the way, I made a translation of the French poem in the OP and put it in a blog post.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2008-04-21 at 00:29.
Old 2008-04-21, 16:26   Link #74
GreatTeacherKen

just watched the first episode.

It seems pretty good so far. Really love the music in this show: OP, ED, BGM, everything. I have a suspicion that after a certain point in the story that 20 faces won't show up as often if at all, judging from his screentime in the OP and ED and the focus on the girls in them.
GreatTeacherKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-22, 06:18   Link #75
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Ep 1

Not as good as I was lead to believe, but quite interesting nonetheless. The OP and ED sorta give away what direction this is going in, but it's not a bad one of itself. I can't say I have too much experience with the crime caper/detective anime genre, since I never got into Lupin or Detective Conan, so this is almost new territory for me. Good to see Hirano in a serious role as well. Looking forward to seeing how she handles it.

One thing I couldn't get past in this ep: why Chiko? Was Twenty Faces original intention just the heirloom and he decided to pick up Chiko as a bonus, or did he plan to "steal" her right from the beginning? And what did he see in Chiko that made her so special? I guess the last question will probably be explained, but I would have thought such details would have been important to the plot. His unexplained enthusiasm for her kinda pushed suspension of disbelief.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-22, 06:23   Link #76
Tofusensei

Send a message via AIM to Tofusensei
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
Ep 1

Not as good as I was lead to believe, but quite interesting nonetheless. The OP and ED sorta give away what direction this is going in, but it's not a bad one of itself. I can't say I have too much experience with the crime caper/detective anime genre, since I never got into Lupin or Detective Conan, so this is almost new territory for me. Good to see Hirano in a serious role as well. Looking forward to seeing how she handles it.

One thing I couldn't get past in this ep: why Chiko? Was Twenty Faces original intention just the heirloom and he decided to pick up Chiko as a bonus, or did he plan to "steal" her right from the beginning? And what did he see in Chiko that made her so special? I guess the last question will probably be explained, but I would have thought such details would have been important to the plot. His unexplained enthusiasm for her kinda pushed suspension of disbelief.
The title of the show might foreshadow that a bit.

BTW, I got the official lyrics for the ED so they will be included in episode 2 (for those who were inquiring about that).

Here's a preview: "Naked half, there's a shiny way."

-Tofu
Tofusensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-22, 13:35   Link #77
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

The ED is out, and here are images of the lyrics from the CD leaflet. First is the ED, unnamed world. I've also included the B-side, Maybe I Can't Good-bye, with lyrics written entirely in English (and Engrish) by Hirano Aya.

Aaya's Engrish is close enough to be understandable. Even the title, unidiomatic as it is, is clear enough. At least it's mostly understandable when read, as opposed to when Aaya sings it, lol.

I am playing both cuts over and over. I think she is finding her voice. The B-side has definite echoes of Nirvana, which as far as I'm concerned is a good thing. Are there any other seiyuu who sing actual rock like this? If she and that band had more cuts like these -- and particularly the B side -- and could do them live, I think they could tour North America. It makes me want to get up and dance, anyway.

There has been good reaction on Nico Nico Douga and in the 2channel Aaya thread, although one guy there called it "gal rock" and said she should apologize to Nirvana. Well, I'd rather an homage to Nirvana than yet another homage to Celine Dion.

As for Sorrow-K's highly understandable difficulty with why Twenty-Faces was so interested in Chiko, I expect that may be like her bitchiness in ep1: we eventually discovered that she had very good reason to be so bitchy. My question was how Twenty-Faces was able to substitute himself for the butler. Did the butler go to him, having seen that Chiko liked him? Or did he substitute himself for the butler when he started going for the ruby? The "butler" knew that Chiko knew something was wrong with the food: he kept bringing her food her mother hadn't touched, and he didn't take the juice over to her, but left it at the door. I was thinking that Twenty-Faces only learned what a gem Chiko was when he had infiltrated himelf into the household.
Spoiler for speculation:
But I do think we are going to have to accept some challenges to our suspension of disbelief as the show continues. It just seems that's how it's pitched: somewhere between fantasy and reality.

It's interesting how memes come in waves. Right now we have two shows, this and Kure-nai, in which a young girl is rescued/abducted from a bad home situation and lives with an older man (not much older, in the case of Kure-nai). I can't help seeing this meme as a version of Genji-Murasaki in the Tale of Genji.

I have basically zero familiarity with the detective/crime genre myself, so perhaps I am enjoying things that are banalities of the genre. But as usual, the things that keep me with any series are the characters and relationships, as well as the underlying myths, which I find quite powerful here. We'll see how things go.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2008-04-23 at 01:34.
Old 2008-04-23, 17:04   Link #78
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I know I shouldn't double post, even 24 hours apart, but the PV of unnamed world just showed up on YouTube. I think it may sell a few CDs.

I have a new blog post on the show, including the embedded PV, in which I talk about 2channel reaction and give a couple of illustrations of differences between the manga and the anime.
Old 2008-04-23, 17:36   Link #79
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Just saw the first episode, so when I checked out the forum thread I was astonished to see that it was only 4 pages instead of 24. It does indeed feel like an anime from a previous decade and that might be why it is so under-valued. Fortunately I am going to be enjoying this show to the fullest extent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
The lead guy reminds me of Roger Smith in Big O and yeah, the Kaito Kid (Detective Conan) feel is there.
Lol! It's just the eyebrows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
I know I shouldn't double post, even 24 hours apart
Feel free. As long as it is a reasonably period between posts it doesn't bother us moderators even a little bit.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-23, 19:24   Link #80
nadare

Send a message via MSN to nadare
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
I know I shouldn't double post, even 24 hours apart, but the PV of unnamed world just showed up on YouTube. I think it may sell a few CDs.

I have a new blog post on the show, including the embedded PV, in which I talk about 2channel reaction and give a couple of illustrations of differences between the manga and the anime.
Hirano Aya's hair in the unnamed world PV looks like Ayumi Hamasaki's for some reason.

This has got to be one of the better shows of the season yet only a few takes interest in it.
nadare is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bones, maturation, seinen, shounen