Theowne
耳をすませば

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukinokesshou
耳をすませば is one of my favourites
Then you're cool in my books

Quote:
UTS?
No, but they kept beating us in competitions However, my second school was in the top 20 Ontario schools.

According to that chart, two of the four top ranked Ontario schools are in......India and Hong Kong .....(but they follow the Ontario curriculum)

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-27, 19:07   Link #42
Yukinokesshou
ドジ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theowne View Post
According to that chart, two of the four top ranked Ontario schools are in......India and Hong Kong .....(but they follow the Ontario curriculum)
LOL! Canadian Int'l School isn't even considered good in HK...
Yukinokesshou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-27, 19:10   Link #43
Theowne
耳をすませば

Yeah, the Ontario curriculum is "slower" than the respective curriculum of those countries. There's a increasing trend here to push the difficult stuff into university and "equalize" grades more in high school, which frankly I heavily disapprove of.

Old 2010-02-27, 20:26   Link #44
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukinokesshou View Post
Hahaha, I've been to school all over the world. I'm studying medicine in the UK right now. But what I wrote above refers (surprisingly?) to my time in the
United States of America...

... in a school that was 70% Asian
It's because you mentioned piano prince sounds like something out of a shoujo manga.
2H-Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-28, 01:05   Link #45
yoropa
Director

Since drugs came up, I'd say almost everybody in my school smokes pot. I think some teachers do too. One guy smoked it in the boy's locker room. The teachers didn't seem to care one bit.
yoropa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-28, 02:30   Link #46
Kafriel
Senior Guest

We had two or three smokers in my class, and they weren't proud of it...about 14 students in the entire school as a total. Kinda makes sense since it's against the school rules and they can be suspended for it.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-28, 02:47   Link #47
LusterFlare
Lost.

I just want to say something about diversity. The high school I went to was pretty ethnically diverse: ~40% Asian, ~25% African-American, ~20% white, ~15% Hispanic/Latino. If you walk down the hallway, you see people of many different ethnicities. However, if actually look inside classrooms (like an AP class for example), it wasn't diverse at all.

At the university level, the "high school hierarchy" more or less disappears. Though students do split off in different cliques.
LusterFlare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-28, 03:38   Link #48
Haruka_Kitten
The AnimeSuki Pet kitten
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to Haruka_Kitten Send a message via Yahoo to Haruka_Kitten
Quote:
Originally Posted by LusterFlare View Post
At the university level, the "high school hierarchy" more or less disappears. Though students do split off in different cliques.
That's quite interesting to note. If that disappears then we don't have a problem as such.
Old 2010-02-28, 06:26   Link #49
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Eh one of the reasons college had a broader degree of social "acceptance" was that those who segregated in high school due to a sense of superiority of some sort usually either don't qualify or don't last long in college/university.

Where I come from there really weren't any of those stereotyped American cliques of jocks, nerds etc. you see in the movies, even though I came from an all boys Filipino-Chinese school. People usually grouped themselves according to how they were seated or due to certain specific commonalities but not usually because you were a nerd or something and these barkadas stuck through the years. In one group in senior year you had the basketball team captain, a semi-deviant who drag raced at night, the 4th ranked academic student in the batch, a closeted homosexual (not anymore though ) and a guy who sings 2.5 octaves.

I was a bit of an oddball. I was acquaintances with a lot of people and good friends with a lot from the entire spectrum, but I never really identified or went with a group. One day I was with one group and another day with some other group. I never picked on anybody and never really got picked on either. In ways though due to my standing as a but of a ronin of sorts that I never really belonged to any group so I never really formed strong permanent bonds with anybody, a fact of my high school life I tend to regret, which is why I sought to change that in college and medical school.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-28, 09:33   Link #50
Gin
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Some people will... others will think you're a bleeping idiot Which ones are worth more to impress?
The ones that will think you are cool for doing drugs. No one is impressed by people who donīt do drugs, but battling with dangerous addictions is pretty impressive.

Quote:
As it should be. Regular high school is filled with immature, childish people. Once you get to university, the average intelligence of your classmates and schoolmates goes up, and doing drugs, or being a jock, much fewer people consider this impressive in any way. As for the people who do....you will probably rarely interact with them anyways.
I have done more drugs (quantity and diversity) in the 2 years I have been at college than the entire 4 years that I was in Highschool. There are more drugs, and they are even easier to get. I also have more friends now then I did in Highschool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoropa View Post
Since drugs came up, I'd say almost everybody in my school smokes pot. I think some teachers do too. One guy smoked it in the boy's locker room. The teachers didn't seem to care one bit.
Your school sounds cool.
Old 2010-02-28, 10:02   Link #51
Theowne
耳をすませば

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gin
battling with dangerous addictions is pretty impressive.
Wow, pointlessly putting yourself under risk is pretty impressive? Maybe I should take up drunk driving. I'm sure I'll make all kinds of cool friends

Old 2010-02-28, 10:08   Link #52
Gin
*Artist

Quote:
Maybe I should take up drunk driving. I'm sure I'll make all kinds of cool friends
That would probably be a good idea, I would be your friend if you did something reckless and dangerous like that.
Old 2010-02-28, 10:14   Link #53
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I had a friend who drove drunk. He was cool. He's also dead. Died 3 years ago in in a drunk driving incident. Yep.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-28, 10:38   Link #54
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

I've always hated my school life, its boring and repetitive. But after getting into the art school I'm in now, I found myself in the best time of my life.

One thing about the normal education system here in Singapore is that we have to strive for grades, everything is about grades. You have to bury yourself in books to 'learn' so you can pass your papers. I hated this system of education and its not true learning.

Now in art school, I actually get to learn stuff, because we don't learn by reading and memorising books. We do our research because that knowledge will immediately be put to use. We do our own experimental work and develop our own skills and knowledge. The school doesn't spoon feed you or force you to get grades, instead, its an environment for us to exchange and build ideas so we can help each other develop into thinking artists.

Also back in normal schools, people tend to form groups and hierarchies, isolating certain types of people and such. But in an art school, everyone is most likely a crazy or weird person, normal people who don't think like us will have already quit school. We all recognise each other as unique and thinking individuals and probably as weird and crazy as each other, so there is no serious discrimination. Maybe until we have our critique sessions where we start bringing out our own ideologies to criticise each other's works, but still its all part of development.

There is no 'mainstream' or 'sidestream' here in art school. Saying you're 'not mainstream' is the mainstream thing here. All of us have our own ideas, we recognise each other as different, no matter how we present ourselves, weird hair, weird fashion, weird speech etc., we are fine with each of our identities. The society needs people who thinks and behaves differently and that's what we artists are doing.

You can say because everyone is different here, there's no need for discrimination, we are exposed to all sorts of different cultures, styles and this creates a great environment for lots of ideas to be exchanged. I'm not burying myself in books, doing repetitive things, just doing what I like and enjoying myself.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-28, 12:36   Link #55
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Sounds like the two art school anime - G.A. and Sketchbook
Old 2010-02-28, 12:43   Link #56
JMvS
Rawrrr!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Sounds like the two art school anime - G.A. and Sketchbook
Would be more like Honey & Clover , IIRC Sketchbook was more about Art Club.
Old 2010-02-28, 14:42   Link #57
Haruka_Kitten
The AnimeSuki Pet kitten
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to Haruka_Kitten Send a message via Yahoo to Haruka_Kitten
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gin View Post
The ones that will think you are cool for doing drugs. No one is impressed by people who donīt do drugs, but battling with dangerous addictions is pretty impressive.

I have done more drugs (quantity and diversity) in the 2 years I have been at college than the entire 4 years that I was in Highschool. There are more drugs, and they are even easier to get. I also have more friends now then I did in Highschool.
Okay, point number 1: Neither me nor anyone else who actually is growing up, wants to do drugs. It's stupid, risky, and not worth the effort. I can't think of a single person who'd be impressed if I started substance abuse. Kids, don't do it.
Quote:
Wow, pointlessly putting yourself under risk is pretty impressive? Maybe I should take up drunk driving. I'm sure I'll make all kinds of cool friends
Quote:
That would probably be a good idea, I would be your friend if you did something reckless and dangerous like that.
*facepalm* Point number 2: don't EVER drink and drive. Never ever the best thing to do, whether you're 16 on your L's or 60 pushing retirement. Never.
Old 2010-02-28, 15:26   Link #58
Yukinokesshou
ドジ

Quote:
There are more drugs, and they are even easier to get. I also have more friends now then I did in Highschool.
From my university town, Amsterdam is just an hour's flight and Ģ60 away (possibly much less if you're lucky, by Easyjet or Ryanair)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LusterFlare View Post
I just want to say something about diversity [...]
Cliques are usually formed around cultural background at my university... ethnic background at first glance, but if you look more carefully...
1. Continental Europeans form their own clique separate from the Brits and Americans,
2. Bananas (British-born and American-born Asians) stick around the Brits and Americans.
3. Southeast Asians of any ethnicity, int'l-school-educated CJKs (Chinese, Japanese, Korean), and bananas who think of themselves as Asians first and foremost come together to form a third group.
4. And finally, one must not forget those pockets of CJKs who are decked in Louis Vuitton and very rarely speak English (perhaps once a month?).
Yukinokesshou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-28, 17:53   Link #59
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harufox View Post
Okay, point number 1: Neither me nor anyone else who actually is growing up, wants to do drugs. It's stupid, risky, and not worth the effort. I can't think of a single person who'd be impressed if I started substance abuse. Kids, don't do it.

*facepalm* Point number 2: don't EVER drink and drive. Never ever the best thing to do, whether you're 16 on your L's or 60 pushing retirement. Never.
He's either trolling or expressing some fundamentally poorly thought out notions.... that's probably obvious to anyone who has a clue.

Translation: village clown - "I beat my head with a bat for lulz" idiot serf - "wow, that's cool"

Last edited by Vexx; 2010-02-28 at 18:32.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-28, 18:31   Link #60
mg1942

Quote:
Start doing drugs, then people will think you are cool. It worked for me
I was a 'pusher'. I guess I made lots of those dolts popular
You won't believe how much racket i pulled during those years in Hollywood, Fairfax and Marshall while staying and keeping low profile (and of course getting good grades)

PS: I never did drugs. I knew very well that shit like that will affect my grades, my 'business' decisions and my cash flow

Last edited by mg1942; 2010-02-28 at 18:47.
mg1942 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
students