AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2004-02-29, 18:42   Link #1
jehjr1337

Send a message via AIM to jehjr1337
computer question...

I need someone who has enough knowledge to answer this question.

What makes fps better, RAM or a video card, and if I upgrade RAM should I upgrade a video card as well?
jehjr1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-29, 18:54   Link #2
megazone23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jehjr1337
I need someone who has enough knowledge to answer this question.

What makes fps better, RAM or a video card, and if I upgrade RAM should I upgrade a video card as well?
it's a little bit of everything i guess
a video card would make the biggest diff i think
next ram + processor (having all the ram in the world wouldn't help if u were running it off a slow comp since ur comp processor wouldn't be able to deal with all the commands needed to playback whatever u need to play back... but then, having a super fast processor running off liquid nitro or sth wouldn't help if u had jack for ram because things would constantly be loading, making everything sluggish also)

i'm not an expert on comps tho so... ya, just what i think
megazone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-29, 19:00   Link #3
SiL Eighty
Lateral G's

Send a message via AIM to SiL Eighty
Tech Support?

What are your specs on your computer jehjr1337, and what are your planning on running? If you want things to load faster simple RAM upgrade would work, but if you want more reliable vidoe feed back than a video card ofcoarse. I'm not sure what your shooting for but i think a little of both never hurt anything .
SiL Eighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-29, 19:04   Link #4
Flash_Squirrel
F&C Fanboy

Send a message via ICQ to Flash_Squirrel Send a message via AIM to Flash_Squirrel
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiL Eighty
Tech Support?
I'm not stupid, there is no need to point that out.
Flash_Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-01, 23:33   Link #5
jehjr1337

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiL Eighty
Tech Support?

What are your specs on your computer jehjr1337, and what are your planning on running? If you want things to load faster simple RAM upgrade would work, but if you want more reliable vidoe feed back than a video card ofcoarse. I'm not sure what your shooting for but i think a little of both never hurt anything .
Ok, I play Counter Strike mostly and after upgrading my ram from 96 to 256 it doesnt lag as much, but the video is still a little etchy...if you know what i mean.
I'm just saying would a video card help my fps a lot or a little?
The computer i'm running for CS meets the min, and i understand that its not fast and will never be...im just trying to make it a little better cuz i get pissed when i die even though i know the bastard is standing in front of me

400mhz intel celeron
256mb ram
it has a video card but dont know the size probably 8 mb
Old 2004-03-02, 00:50   Link #6
Kimura-sensei
Retired AOne Staff

A video card won't help much in this case since your processor can't supply enough information to it. And upgrading the processor isn't much of an option here either, you probably have Slot 1 (nintendo cartridge processor).

There isn't a realistic option here. It's time to get a new/used computer. You may able to get a decent used AMD gamer system for $400 or so. Just keep your monitor/keyboard/mouse.
Kimura-sensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-02, 17:23   Link #7
durrem
[megaplay] *sparkles*

Exactly what motherboard do you have (Manufacturer and model number)? There are slot one adapters that let you plug in a Tualatin core Celeron processor (1.1a-1.4 Ghz, make sure it says Tualatin and has 256k cache). However, they generally only work if you have a motherboard with the BX chipset (66 or 100 Mhz front side bus (FSB)), not FX or LX (66 Mhz FSB). As you are using a 400Mhz celeron, it is probably running at 6x66, so it may be either FX, LX or BX.

Here is a link to the adapter:
http://www.strattoncomputer.com/slot1-fcpga2.html

Here is a link to the motherboard compatibility page:
http://www.upgradeware.com/english/p...patibility.htm

I had one of these working in an ASUS P3B-F motherboard with a 1.2 Tualatin Celeron in my server, and it worked flawlessly.

Example of Tualatin processor (only one Newegg still has listed):
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...112-160&depa=0

An upgrade like this would run you about $70 US and would be a great increase in speed for the money.

Regarding the video card, if you do the CPU upgrade it would be worth upgrading the video card to a decent low end 3d card, say for another $50or $60, an Nvidia 440MX or an ATI Radeon 9200SE or something like that. You need to check to see if you have an AGP slot or only PCI slots. The PCI slots are the white (usually) ones in the middle of the case. If you have an AGP slot it will be on top of the PCI slots and slightly forward. It is usually brown.

Here are some cheap PCI video cards:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...alog=48&depa=0

Here are some cheap AGP video cards:

Again, don't go out and spend money unless you know if your motherboard will work with the adapter.

Edit: I just checked Intel's page and the 400 Mhz Celerons came in both SEPP (slot 1) and PPGA (370 pin) formats. That adapter will only work if you have the slot 1 version, and again, only if your motherboard works with it.

Last edited by durrem; 2004-03-02 at 19:29.
durrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-03, 01:30   Link #8
jehjr1337

Holy shit Durrem, thanks for all the info, I'm gonna check in to that but on the second link it says "Does not support Celeron PPGA(Celeron 300A ~ 533MHz) "....mine's 400mhz does that mean it wont support it??? or am i misinterrupting it?
Old 2004-03-03, 01:38   Link #9
Mr. Bushido
Zoro

Quote:
Holy shit Durrem, thanks for all the info, I'm gonna check in to that but on the second link it says "Does not support Celeron PPGA(Celeron 300A ~ 533MHz) "....mine's 400mhz does that mean it wont support it??? or am i misinterrupting it?
400 mhz celeron processor?

i suggest a new computer.
buy a mac? i want a mac.
Mr. Bushido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-03, 04:25   Link #10
durrem
[megaplay] *sparkles*

Quote:
Ok, that means that if your motherboard only supports celeron PPGA CPU's then your motherboard won't be able to support the Tulatin CPU adapter. Only being able to support a celeron CPU would be an indicator that you have an FX or LX chipset motherboard, as all PPGA Pentium 3 cpus had at least 100 Mhz front side bus, which the FX or LX don't support.

It would really help if you knew what motherboard you have. If you don't know off hand, you can download a program CPU-Z. The third tab should tell you some details about your motherboard (manufacturer/model/revision). You can get that here:

http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

Also, when you upgraded your memory, what speed did you get? PC100, PC133? You can poke around in CPU-Z and take a look at the memory descriptions if you don't know.

Basically, it comes down to if your motherboard will support the second generation of celeron/PII/PIII cores (Coppermine) or whether it can only support the first generation (Katami). If it supports the Coppermine CPUs, then the adapter may be able to work with a Tualatin CPU (3rd generation). Aren't Intel CPU core codenames fun?

I poked around some more, and found that there is also a PPGA version of the adapter, too. I didn't know they made those

http://www.strattoncomputer.com/so370adcpuup.html

Anyway, don't get your hopes too high, there is a good chance that this adapter won't work if you have an older motherboard. I'm just giving you some cheap and easy options (swap CPU/with adapter, swap video card) which would be nice if you have the correct motherboard. If the motherboard is too old, then you get into the not so easy or cheap options of swapping out the motherboard and powersupply in order to do a CPU upgrade.
durrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-03, 04:49   Link #11
Keitaro
*Kyuuketsuki Otaku*

Looks like someone needs a upgrade. If you are willing to build your own computer I suggest www.newegg.com or www.tigerdirect.com (They have pretty good deals on prebuilt computers and barebones)
Old 2004-03-03, 12:09   Link #12
SirJeannot
AT Field

from my own experience, it completely depends on the game

recently, i had to change my gf3 for a radeon 9700 pro. (burned it because of a leak :/ )
well, anyway i play a lot and i noticed that
in homeworld, almost no change
bf1942 & co > fps *2
anywhere where pixel shaders are used > fps*3
i didn't look any further, having 50+ fps is enough imo

so
for quake3 based games, you'll need a great memory bandwidth
for serious sam, a phat gfx card and a good cpu
for il2 sturmovick, i shitload of ram (512 ... 1GB IS recommended)

as it was said before, it's more like a balance of all these
Old 2004-03-05, 02:09   Link #13
Shadowlord
~DESU

if you are going to upgrade, I suggest this site

www.ncix.com, the funds are Canadian dollards, so, if your american, the prices are even lower.

Last edited by Shadowlord; 2004-03-05 at 22:58.
Shadowlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-05, 23:00   Link #14
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

I just wanna give you a little tip:

The most important thing is not the procesor but the memory ram, if you have one above 1ghz you are pretty much ok, unless you are planning to play games such as FF XI then a processor with 2.0ghz or above would be necesary. GET AS MUCH RAM AS YOU CAN! the more you have the more stable your system will be. You will be able to play games at very high resolutions without worrying about lagging. If you get 1 GB on ram you won't have memory problems in a long time Be wary about buying memory ram though; try to buy memory ram with the highest data transfer such as 440mhz. This will improve your pc preformace a lot.

And yes get a good video card as well so that you can have nice graphics. Try any of the G-force FX.

If you want a cheap good system try to get an AMD-based computer. Look at my example for instance: (I built it my self)

I have an AMD Athlon XP 1800+ (1.5Ghz) with 256 on DDRam at 266Mhz (It is better to have more if you have win XP, if you have win 98 it is just perfect) G-force 3 ti 200 with 128 DDRAM, sound blaster audigy gamer with 5.1 digital audio home theater speakers, 16x DVD Rom and CD Burner at 32x Write.

All this for less than a thousand dollars! The system runs everything with no problems at all (From doom 2 to Unreal tournament 2004) although if I had more memory ram my system wouldn't lag much when playing online games But this happens only when the game that I'm playing is full of users. At the same time I can watch movies with exellent picture quality and high end sound.

Anyways, this example shows you that you can have a very good computer that runs everything without having to spend more than a thousand dollars

Check these web sites if you are planning to do that (both of them have good offers)

www.cyberpowersystem.com
www.advanced2000.com

Edit: HEY TAKE A LOOK AT THIS @_@ (This is from cyberpowersystem.com)

System Summary
Price: $986.00
ATX MEDIUM TOWER CASE 350 WATT (BEIGE)
AMD Athlon XP 3200+ CPU (512K L2 CACHE )
GigaByte GA-7N400-L1 nForce2 ULTRA 400FSB DDR400 AGP8X AUDIO & LAN
1GB (512MBx2) PC3200 DDR400 Memory (Major_Brand)
80GB 7200 RPM ATA 100 HARD DRIVE
NONE - Hard Drive
nVidia GeForce FX 5700 256MB 8x AGP w/ TVO, & DVI
ARTEC 16X DVD ROM (BEIGE)
4X NEC ND-1300A DVD-RW DRIVE (BEIGE)
NONE - MONITOR
Creative Labs SB Audigy-2 ZS 7.1

Price: $986.00

I Think I'm going to upgrade my pc

Last edited by Sugetsu; 2004-03-05 at 23:29.
Sugetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-06, 05:21   Link #15
Shadowlord
~DESU

yeah, well here

NCIXPC

AMD ATHLON XP 2500+ processor
DDR 256MB of ram
40GB hard drive
1.44FD
48X CDRW/ DVD
10/100 LAN network card
1YR warranty

for $421.15 CANADIAN funds
Shadowlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-07, 01:21   Link #16
Mr. Bushido
Zoro

would any of u recommend a mac over a pc??
i personally think the mac is better.
Old 2004-03-07, 01:49   Link #17
Raven_Zero

Send a message via AIM to Raven_Zero Send a message via Yahoo to Raven_Zero
Ya i mean the 3 main things to upgrade are Motherboard, CPU, Memory and video. for around 200-300$ you can get a pretty good setup like Amd Athlon Xp 2000+ CPU 256MB Memoryfor them to items the price just breaks 100$ the motherboard would be another50-70$ video cards run from about 50-150$ for a pretty good one. as you dont really need to buy a lot of other things you have a monitor, power supply, mouse/keyboard, hard drive and case. i just put a new motherboard and memory in mine. and i just got my dvd burner yesterday.

And as for the mac over the pc i would'nt just becase i have had no experince with them. but from what i can see they do look like a pretty good system. also if your going to be playing games you will have to wait for them to be ported to the mac if they even are ported over.
Raven_Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-07, 02:06   Link #18
Keitaro
*Kyuuketsuki Otaku*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bushido
would any of u recommend a mac over a pc??
i personally think the mac is better.
I like Mac's, but there very expensive. The color Mac's are pure crap. What u wan't is the G4 or G5 dual processor models. They also offer single processor models. The G5 is 64bit and it has PCI-X. I wan't one. Their monitors are amazing too. So yeah I would only recommend a Power Mac G4/5 if they are willing to spend at least $1500-3000 on a new computer system. The PC is the poor mans computer. . And no I will not say which is better, I've been in too many discussions and flame wars because of it.

Info on the Power Mac G4 here

Info on Power Mac G5 here
Old 2004-03-07, 19:19   Link #19
Mr. Bushido
Zoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keitaro
I like Mac's, but there very expensive. The color Mac's are pure crap. What u wan't is the G4 or G5 dual processor models. They also offer single processor models. The G5 is 64bit and it has PCI-X. I wan't one. Their monitors are amazing too. So yeah I would only recommend a Power Mac G4/5 if they are willing to spend at least $1500-3000 on a new computer system. The PC is the poor mans computer. . And no I will not say which is better, I've been in too many discussions and flame wars because of it.

Info on the Power Mac G4 here

Info on Power Mac G5 here
icic, im planning to get a powerbook for my next computer. It will be used mainly for school and anime. Im thinking of having dual OS. Is this a good idea?
Old 2004-03-07, 20:25   Link #20
Keitaro
*Kyuuketsuki Otaku*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bushido
icic, I'm planning to get a powerbook for my next computer. It will be used mainly for school and anime. I'm thinking of having dual OS. Is this a good idea?
Like I said going Mac is expensive. I assume you mean you want to dual boot with Mac OS and Windows right. The only way you can use Windows on a Mac is through third party software called Virtual PC from Microsoft. That run you about another $200-300 for the software.