AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-09-08, 22:33   Link #1081
Kristen
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
It's being released on 9 DVDs. 2 episodes on the first DVD at 6090 Yen MSRP, and 3 episodes on all the subsequent DVDs at 7140 Yen MSRP. First disc was released in late-July, and it'll release monthly to end in March.
So I'm guessing if they would be planning to do a season 2, they would want to do it in January so as to continue the DVDs afterwards. Or, maybe April. I don't know. But, I suppose that we have to wait to see.

Can't believe it's only 2 weeks left after Thursday... Seems like we just started subbing this series 2 weeks ago. <.<
Old 2008-09-09, 04:41   Link #1082
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Well, the basis upon which these statements were being made was the sales figures for the first two DVDs averaging at around 9,000 copies/volume, which is widely considered to be "sequel-worthy". One of the better-selling shows of the season, so far.

Of course, I don't think that our personal judgements should be affected by sales figures. I like a ton of shows that were exceptionally poor-sellers, even ones that were largely seen as "critical successes" around here. That's no different from any mass media, really -- there are a lot of factors that affect sales. But when people make blanket statements bashing the production staff or posing questions like "How could anyone like this stuff?", I don't think that's fair. Why can't we assume that the people buying the DVDs legitimately like the show? Is the fact that other reasonable people might see things differently so threatening to our point of view that we have to pre-emptively paint them as less worthy of consideration? ("Ah, they're just sheep who'd buy anything; they're not discriminating, discerning patrons like we are..." Yeah, I'm so sure...) That's what gets me, anyway. Hate the show with a passion, but respect other people's right to enjoy it is what I say... Certainly, that goes both ways, though.
If the Japan DVD sales are sufficient to justify another season, I guess thats what the fans want. But to me --- its like taking on, for example, the LOTR franchise and then saying, "meh, we'll go do our own original stuff!" Most people I interact with or read about (in or out of Japan) like adaptations of material to at least be true to the spirit of the source material allowing for the constraint of the medium.

I wasn't trying to call the fans idiots .... but when I see an adaptation of something I've read and at some point I can barely tell where the idea came from: I judge the production team accordingly. If you've ever seen a series called "As Time Goes By" (British series), they portray this sort of thing quite satirically when a character who has written an autobiography gets an offer to have it filmed.

And in this case, it certainly looks like the production team figured the fans would put up with their "re-invention/re-direction" of the story. If that's what they want - great, though it seems quite a few fans here are distinctly unhappy. In my case, having not read the manga - I can only judge what I've seen. Out of the first third and now just about last third of the series I've seen, the humor just is a lot more MISS than HIT for me.

... and yes, I have a fair handful of series that I think highly of that were apparently financial failures since there was no follow-through on them. So it goes...

Last edited by Vexx; 2008-09-09 at 04:57.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-09, 07:27   Link #1083
Xvoki

Quote:
...But when people make blanket statements bashing the production staff or posing questions like "How could anyone like this stuff?", I don't think that's fair. Why can't we assume that the people buying the DVDs legitimately like the show? Is the fact that other reasonable people might see things differently so threatening to our point of view that we have to pre-emptively paint them as less worthy of consideration? ("Ah, they're just sheep who'd buy anything; they're not discriminating, discerning patrons like we are..." Yeah, I'm so sure...) That's what gets me, anyway. Hate the show with a passion, but respect other people's right to enjoy it is what I say... Certainly, that goes both ways, though.
It’s just a little harmless criticism, mate, nothing to get upset about. Could it be that the reason the DVD’s are selling is because ecchi sells? The chance to see Lala’s uncensored, big, bouncy boobies appeals to a lot of people. The characters in the anime are attractive and likeable, reason enough for many to buy a DVD. Doesn’t mean they have to like the story. Why do you think hentai is so popular?
Xvoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-09, 19:36   Link #1084
uis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xvoki View Post
It’s just a little harmless criticism, mate, nothing to get upset about. Could it be that the reason the DVD’s are selling is because ecchi sells? The chance to see Lala’s uncensored, big, bouncy boobies appeals to a lot of people. The characters in the anime are attractive and likeable, reason enough for many to buy a DVD. Doesn’t mean they have to like the story. Why do you think hentai is so popular?
Yes many people just buy DVD to see uncensored ecchi thing...
Even anime isnt have attractive plot.. Manga can backup this to make this series popular...

Anyway for second season they must make progress to make a good storyline...
uis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-10, 22:01   Link #1085
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
It’s just a little harmless criticism, mate, nothing to get upset about.
Well, just to be clear, I wasn't upset at all. I know it comes across that way, but it's because I tend to write sternly when framing an argument. But I'm absolutely not upset or anything, so no worries. (Once you get to know me, you'll start to recognize the pattern... )

Quote:
Could it be that the reason the DVD’s are selling is because ecchi sells? The chance to see Lala’s uncensored, big, bouncy boobies appeals to a lot of people. The characters in the anime are attractive and likeable, reason enough for many to buy a DVD. Doesn’t mean they have to like the story. Why do you think hentai is so popular?
Well... a few things about this.
  1. Recognizing that the running story isn't the point of this anime adaptation is part of the point I was trying to make in the first place. Whether people like the show in spite of or because of the story is somewhat of a moot point -- enjoying the show is all that matters. This is entertainment after all.
  2. It's not as if every show with an attractive cast and fanservice sells this well. So, it's not just that "sex sells", though that's certainly part of it...
  3. It'd be one thing if the DVDs were cheap, but I'm not sure how many people would spend nearly $500 collecting the show just for the ecchi content, which I should point out...
  4. Despite the "doki x2" moniker, the actual amount of added/uncensored ecchi content on the DVDs isn't really that high. It's nothing like the other ecchi show from Xebec in that regard. So people who bought it just for the ecchi are sure to be disappointed.

Anyway, all I was trying to get at was that despite the thunderous complaints around here, the show isn't doing so poorly. And if people buy what they're selling, then they'll probably make more of it. And if they do make more of it, hopefully next time people will know what to expect going into it...

Not every show is about having a big running storyline. Some shows are just random plots-of-the-week loosely centered around a main cast of characters. And that can be okay too, if you're open to it. That's the way I take this show, anyway.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-11, 01:52   Link #1086
Xvoki

Quote:
Well... a few things about this.
  1. Recognizing that the running story isn't the point of this anime adaptation is part of the point I was trying to make in the first place. Whether people like the show in spite of or because of the story is somewhat of a moot point -- enjoying the show is all that matters. This is entertainment after all.
  2. It's not as if every show with an attractive cast and fanservice sells this well. So, it's not just that "sex sells", though that's certainly part of it...
  3. It'd be one thing if the DVDs were cheap, but I'm not sure how many people would spend nearly $500 collecting the show just for the ecchi content, which I should point out...
  4. Despite the "doki x2" moniker, the actual amount of added/uncensored ecchi content on the DVDs isn't really that high. It's nothing like the other ecchi show from Xebec in that regard. So people who bought it just for the ecchi are sure to be disappointed.

Anyway, all I was trying to get at was that despite the thunderous complaints around here, the show isn't doing so poorly. And if people buy what they're selling, then they'll probably make more of it. And if they do make more of it, hopefully next time people will know what to expect going into it...

Not every show is about having a big running storyline. Some shows are just random plots-of-the-week loosely centered around a main cast of characters. And that can be okay too, if you're open to it. That's the way I take this show, anyway.
I like your way of thinking.
Xvoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-11, 14:39   Link #1087
Midonin
Last Engage

Spoiler for TLR 24 - The Many Voices of Haruka Tomatsu:
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-11, 23:49   Link #1088
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Hah...

Spoiler for ep24:

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-12, 07:08   Link #1089
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
ep 24
Spoiler:

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-12, 23:45   Link #1090
Ashlotte
Clockwork

Well I skipped last weeks episode (No way in hell am I wasting my time watching anything with saru prominently featured...) and thus the preview for this one so I'll have to rely on your review DKZ to determine if its worth the bandwidth this time.

No matter what enemy. No matter what ally. Mowing everything down with maximum destructive power.

That is...

"The White Devil of the Administration Bureau"
Ashlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-13, 10:56   Link #1091
Aceywacey
Shadow Priest

Send a message via ICQ to Aceywacey
If anyone is interested, I have written a ToLoveRu Fanfic - a alternate universe, serious drama one with Yami :P

http://acesan.wordpress.com/2008/09/...arkness-part-1

It's a pity this series will be ending soon, though there's always the manga!
Aceywacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-13, 13:01   Link #1092
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Ep. 23 - oy...

.01 points for a brief Mikan appearance. Other than that - oy... Was any of this recent crap in the manga?

It seems obvious in hindsight that 14 was the peak for this series. The one thing that elevated it above pure fluff was the innocently lustul romantic feelings between Rito and Haruna, portrayed so well in the early eps. 14 was one of the more genuinely kawaii teen romance eps I've seen in any series for a while - it was hard not to have high hopes at that point. Where has that series gone??
what happened to Haruna? last episode i watched was 14 and just recently got in touch with the series and i didn't see much of haruna in episode 24! She is predominantly in the ending!
golthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-13, 15:10   Link #1093
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Episode 24 has to be one of the most enjoyable episodes of the series.

Seeing all the different versions of Lala was pretty special, especially shy, tsundere and "i'll take over the world for you Rito". That right there is a winning formula, and it's a shame the series won't be having more fun with it. Also, i laughed so hard when the spot-light didn't come on for Saruyama.

Shall be an interesting last two episodes. Can't wait to see how they'll end this.
Old 2008-09-13, 16:06   Link #1094
loltan

Episode 24 killed the anime for me. Why? Because Rito becomes decisive. Decisive Rito = No more scenes focused on the girls who are totally in love with him. Also, this pretty much means that Yui's not going to make anymore important appearances.
loltan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-13, 16:11   Link #1095
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Originally Posted by loltan View Post
Episode 24 killed the anime for me. Why? Because Rito becomes decisive. Decisive Rito = No more scenes focused on the girls who are totally in love with him. Also, this pretty much means that Yui's not going to make anymore important appearances.
So people complain about heroes being indecisive in their love decisions in love triangle/harem anime, then people complain when they do get decisive? There's really just no pleasing some people.
Old 2008-09-13, 16:20   Link #1096
leo786
El Nino

about time....its finally gottan back on track with the main plot. ep24 was really good. i cant wait for ep25.
leo786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-13, 16:27   Link #1097
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by loltan View Post
Also, this pretty much means that Yui's not going to make anymore important appearances.
Yui hasn't been making important scenes... for like... a long time. Except maybe that festival episode... Mikan, Saki, and Run haven't either. And others...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
So people complain about heroes being indecisive in their love decisions in love triangle/harem anime, then people complain when they do get decisive?
Too bad this "decisiveness" has a high chance of ending up in some open end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
There's really just no pleasing some people.
Ah~, life, the wonders it bring.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-13, 17:11   Link #1098
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Rito? Decisive? Wait...don't push that reset button!

*Death scream*

See you guys in season 2 I guess?

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-13, 19:46   Link #1099
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

sheryl knock off The original looks way cooler
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-13, 19:50   Link #1100
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2extreme View Post
sheryl knock off The original looks way cooler
I can come up with a few characters that used that costume design before Sheryl, so it's not a Sheryl knock-off.

Tags
comedy, ecchi, harem, romance, school life, shounen, xebec