AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-04-10, 18:51   Link #61
Shii
Afflicted by the vanities
*Fansubber

In the dealer's room at Anime Boston, Funimation was playing the Kodocha OP and music videos of it over and over and never stopped.

They were really enthusiastic, but it gave me a headache.
Old 2004-04-10, 19:24   Link #62
Spooky-Electric

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenojjin
right in the middle of when I was downloading it .

It would be nice if we could keep torrents up until they actually release the show . Its great when something comes to the US . Its lame when they make us wait until a year and a half or so before we know if they actually did put the plan into action .
I agree somewhat.

Personally I think it was stupid of FUNI to announce it now. Why couldn't they have announced it late this year or early next year?

I don't like the idea of someone announcing a license and saying "it'll be released a year from now."
Spooky-Electric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-10, 19:27   Link #63
Shii
*Fansubber

I don't think Funimation was taking fansubbing into consideration when they decided when to announce their license.
Shii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-10, 19:29   Link #64
Za Paper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooky-Electric
I agree somewhat.

Personally I think it was stupid of FUNI to announce it now. Why couldn't they have announced it late this year or early next year?

I don't like the idea of someone announcing a license and saying "it'll be released a year from now."
A year or six months, why does it matter when they announce the license? Kodocha has been out for years and if you haven't downloaded it yet, tough luck. You had your chance.
Za Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-10, 19:30   Link #65
Spooky-Electric

Not just talking about fansubbing. If they announced it later this year or early next then people would be much more excited because it was coming soon.

It's hard to get excited for Kodocha on DVD because we have to wait a whole freaking year for it. People are excited that it's licensed, but if was announced later this year or early next people would be be excited that it was licensed AND that it would be coming soon.

I think it matters a lot when something gets announced, and not for fansub reasons. I would like announcements for licensing to be closer to the release dates. Like I said before the idea of an announcement saying "we'll release this a year from now" is dumb, IMO.

Edit For example, Geneon announced Uchuu no Stellvia as licensed today, and the first disc is coming in September. I like that.

Last edited by Spooky-Electric; 2004-04-10 at 19:53.
Spooky-Electric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-10, 19:50   Link #66
Shii
*Fansubber

Better to announce that they have it now, so people will be able to save up for the release date, than to wait until a month before and have people still be in doubt.
Old 2004-04-10, 20:15   Link #67
Tabiree
FUNimation's Gen Fukunaga

Even at 3-4 eps a disc, the price will still be fairly cheap (as per funimation, this is something NO ONE ever takes into account), and on a 6-week release cycle between discs... I'm certinaly not complaining.

Also, that thing about One Piece, it was an editorial mistake, however this was an official announcement. Sure, the license MAY get yanked at any point, but for now it's signs of clear sailing ahead.

THANK YOU FUNIMATION
Tabiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-10, 21:00   Link #68
Fronzel
Schmuck

Gosh, the post-license whining began at post #6.

This is freakin' Kodocha! And it's getting released! Be happy!
Fronzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-10, 22:00   Link #69
Laurie-chan
Asian Goddess

Send a message via AIM to Laurie-chan
They already licensed it and announcd that it will be available one year from now? Yes it's true but I will be watching my bootlegs first since I got all episodes on HK DVDs, until they get to the release of the final episode.

If they released 6 episodes on each DVD, it would be 17 DVDs long, and 8 episodes on each DVD would be 13 DVDs. 6 weeks between each would be like 2 whole years for the final episode if it was 6 on each DVD and 1 year and 4 months for the 8 episodes on each DVD.

It's a laugh that people will have to wait at least a year for the first DVD to come out and then almost two years more just to see the end. I think I will go watch the bootlegs now and avoid the long wait, if you know what I mean. I will have better things to do than worry about the ending, or find better anime to watch soon.
Laurie-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-10, 22:20   Link #70
Scooterboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurie-chan
I think I will go watch the bootlegs now and avoid the long wait, if you know what I mean. I will have better things to do than worry about the ending, or find better anime to watch soon.
The manga recently finished its run in the US, so the ending won't be a surprise to a lot of Sana fans. However, who knows how much they changed in the adaptation? That's where the fun is, I say. Sana is a lot more hyper in the anime... and the white bat... and the songs... lots of good stuff in the anime.

Totally ready to wait 3 years to see the end.
Scooterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-11, 00:19   Link #71
Gold_Rogers
Famous Dead Pirate

How many years did it take someone to license this brilliant cracked out speed ritalined series? 6? 7? 8?
Gold_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-11, 00:42   Link #72
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Quote:
They already licensed it and announcd that it will be available one year from now? Yes it's true but I will be watching my bootlegs first since I got all episodes on HK DVDs, until they get to the release of the final episode.
Thank you for supporting the bootleg industry...
Anyways... I'm really curious as to what the hammers they handed out at the con looked like. Can anyone who was there post a pic? (I'm looking at you, bay) And the singalong/hammer-along was pretty hilarious.
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-11, 01:09   Link #73
BanditKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabiree
Even at 3-4 eps a disc, the price will still be fairly cheap (as per funimation, this is something NO ONE ever takes into account), and on a 6-week release cycle between discs... I'm certinaly not complaining.

Also, that thing about One Piece, it was an editorial mistake, however this was an official announcement. Sure, the license MAY get yanked at any point, but for now it's signs of clear sailing ahead.

THANK YOU FUNIMATION
Their price is not cheap online.Funi disc price is $25 discount to $17 and bandai,MB,ADV price is $30 discount to $17.Their price is not cheap.

Their 6-week release already have problem.Kiddy Grade #2 have sound probelm if you didn't know.ADV even release more content at a 6 week rate but funi have to lower the content to release the dvd faster.

Not saying funi is the wrost but I think they can do better.They are the company that release DBZ and suck alot of money out of the fan you know.
BanditKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-11, 01:50   Link #74
Kyuven
Bishoujo Goodness Galore!

FUNimation is making a lot of good decisions lately...
i've decided to call off my kappa attack on FUNi headquarters...due to them:
1) licensing series that don't suck
2) Not editing them to crap and forcing us to buy what's left
i also think it was a smart decision to release the anime after the manga has been released. the Fruits Basket anime was released stateside before the manga...IMO if it had followed the manga, FUNi's sales would have perked up a bit
Kyuven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-11, 02:35   Link #75
suguru
京都 ikitai~

Damn, between Kodocha and Urusei Yatsura I'm going to need a lot more shelf space. I hope they go with at least 5 episodes per disc, but I'd buy it at 4 too, this is a great series. I remember hearing Sony was asking for a ton of money for it, maybe they finally compromised. It'll be years before I see the last ep of UY, so I think I can wait until '07 or '08 to see the end of Kodocha. Even though it's not starting to come out until '05, I'm glad they announced it now, something more to look forward to.
suguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-11, 03:17   Link #76
Tabiree
FUNimation's Gen Fukunaga

Quote:

If they released 6 episodes on each DVD, it would be 17 DVDs long, and 8 episodes on each DVD would be 13 DVDs. 6 weeks between each would be like 2 whole years for the final episode if it was 6 on each DVD and 1 year and 4 months for the 8 episodes on each DVD.

It's a laugh that people will have to wait at least a year for the first DVD to come out and then almost two years more just to see the end. I think I will go watch the bootlegs now and avoid the long wait, if you know what I mean. I will have better things to do than worry about the ending, or find better anime to watch soon.

<Please don't insult others>

As for being cheap online, I've not had a problem with their releases so far, price-wise that is.

Then again, they haven't been in the Anime Distribution game as long as ADV or Bandai, and aren't just focusing on Anime either.

Last edited by xris; 2004-04-11 at 17:42. Reason: Removed insults
Tabiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-11, 09:04   Link #77
Gold_Rogers
Famous Dead Pirate

Quote:
GOWD FURBID WE HAEV 2 WAIT OMG OMG PLZ LETS WATCH ILLEGAL COPIEZ BECUZ WE R A CUTE PWINCESS WHO CN DO WATEVA I WNT :roll:

Dickhead.

As for being cheap online, I've not had a problem with their releases so far, price-wise that is.

Then again, they haven't been in the Anime Distribution game as long as ADV or Bandai, and aren't just focusing on Anime either.
Perhaps a "Friend of Big Business" sticker on your car bumper would suffice?

Remember, some people just don't have that kinda cash lying around. Not saying that what they're doing is right, per se, but people have their reasons for doing the things they do. Same as anything else.
Gold_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-11, 10:18   Link #78
SirCanealot
What? I am washed up!

Send a message via MSN to SirCanealot
Hmm... I'm in split minds about this one... YES I'll finally get to see the series on DVD (not that the Kodocha TP fansubs were too bad, but... :P), but a whole year? I hope there's a boxset waiting for us at the end of that year. Yeah, I'd prefer for them to have annouced in 6 months time or so, the wait will be annoying...

And as for disk/episode counts. Aparently Funi ran a poll on their site, and people said they'd rather pay less price for 3eps/disk than more price for 6 eps/disk
Hopefully they'll wake up for Kodocha, 3eps/disk with a series that long isn't even funny.
SirCanealot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-11, 10:43   Link #79
BanditKing

Quote:

wow just because you don't have problem doesn't make it cheap.

They started in 2000 if not eariler but the only thing they focus is DBZ,hey can you blame them as I say that thing suck alot of money why brother with other show.Now that DBZ is gone they have to move to another show.
BanditKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-11, 15:08   Link #80
OutPhase
Lord Chairman God King

Send a message via AIM to OutPhase
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennwenn
NO WAY! Its the end of the world as we know it! Kodocha has been licesned! Their treatment of Fruit Basket was great.
Not yay. It might get the Dragonball Z and GT treatment. You know, Bad voices, crappy music, episode edits by the truckload, etc.

But if it does get the Fruits Basket treatment, it will take about 6 to 10 years to finish dubbing and releasing the whole series on DVD. (That's if they don't have the Japanese version with subtitles.)

EDIT: Corrected spelling errors.

Last edited by OutPhase; 2004-04-11 at 16:59.
OutPhase is offline   Reply With Quote