Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-12-04, 02:31   Link #81
ahmad

Amazing anime
Old 2008-12-04, 05:26   Link #82
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

The end of One Outs episode 8 is almost legendary. No, not because of Tokuchi Toua who is already established as legendary.

But it is the FIRST ANIME EVER in my experience that has an animation staff stand in front of the cameras apologizing for a mistake he made in an earlier episode!

Basically the story is that the scene was supposed to read "No Outs" and the staffer's bad handwriting "the katanaka for no" is misread as "1 Outs".

That was just bizarre, funny and maybe historic.
Old 2008-12-04, 05:57   Link #83
toxic_trance
~Anpan~
*Artist

Hmm..i must agree with most of the guys here, this truly is an underrated anime. I guess it might be primarily because people think its a typical sports anime..so it ll be the typical one guy with godly arm rising to popularity with a love triangle and the last episode has one girl marrying him, the other one supporting him and him winning the World Series.

Another thing might be the artwork, if u just look at the promo pic, it looks weird. And yup, thats what my brain said too.. till for some reason fortunately I checked the manga details ad found that it is by the author of Liar Game. Now Liar Game is an awesome battle of wits manga and it has a great adaptation as a J-Dorama..so having known that, there is no way I could have stopped myself from watching this.

And..what can I say..this series doesnt disappoint u a bit. Although it is a bit corny at some moments but the genius of Tokuchi is definitely for real, and I just cant wait for the next episode
Old 2008-12-04, 12:39   Link #84
Lucipher

just wonder how much money dose he owe now or did he find a loophole where he didnt have to pay anything?
Old 2008-12-04, 13:32   Link #85
SagaraSouske

Eps 9 will explain.
Old 2008-12-04, 13:39   Link #86
Lucipher

i saw the raw but i saw like 20 billion i think its just i cant read Jp so yeah i would like to know
Old 2008-12-05, 22:40   Link #87
Lostdreams

This anime is highly degraded without the understanding of what is actually going on. I didn't understand anything about ep 9. I also wish that the subbers subbed the commentary at the end. I just have to say that episode 8 was dam epic, with the ERA and the messing up the mound thing. I just have a question about the fastball and the number of rotations of the ball thing. Can that really happen? Can you really control the # of spins, therefore with the timing of the ball and the swing force them to mishit the ball by a ball's length?
Old 2008-12-05, 23:05   Link #88
juventas

This anime is awesome, but requires quite a bit of suspension of disbelief. I'm wondering how Kojima, a player with a lot of integrity, stands up for this mess.
Old 2008-12-06, 11:35   Link #89
anoos

Out outs opening sound track

Out outs opening sound track

audio sound track: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Y6A46457

Video track: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=VSP2GDNS

the audio track is in .WAV and 1MB

the video is in .AVI and 29MB
Old 2008-12-07, 15:42   Link #90
The Chaos
ǾΝΈ ΡЇΈÇΈ is the Best !!

every ep is Amazing

three Freebie avatar For Toua if anyone want them
Ep 1 :

. .
Old 2008-12-11, 23:58   Link #91
zzeroparticle
NEET

Send a message via AIM to zzeroparticle
Episode 9:

When Toua started getting really preachy towards the end, I was really scratching my head. Then I remembered that practically every single action he takes has a purpose. That man is rational to the very core and the way he managed to squeeze himself out of that situation was tricky, though less so than some of the stunts he's pulled thus far.

And the Lycaons' team manager... man... The face of such desperation is not a pretty sight. The funny thing is that he could suck it up and accept that he's making a bad deal instead of throwing more money away on failed plans. Can't blame the guy for trying though and watching him turn into a whimpering shell of his usual arrogant self is enjoyable just to see him get his comeuppance.
Old 2008-12-12, 08:56   Link #92
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

I don't entirely blame people for being confused with the latest ep. Basically, Toua shows that he can stick it to the higher-ups in their own game of politics and rule-semantics.

Even with those things, Toua has them beat.

Technically, forfeits in sports is a very tricky affair. Especially in very bad-rain conditions where some games may be canceled or cut off by the fifth inning. I don't blame non baseball fans to be a bit lost, but it's sorta like boxing where scores have to be in by the 4th round or so until you can 'legitimize' a fight in the condition of a bad cut/injury for example. Most sports seems to have these rules, especially when it concerns smaller rounds like with baseball.

And as for the preachiness, I don't think that's the case at all. Toua is basically making a STEALING off of the higher management. It just happens that honor in sports and in life is not without their own forms of hard rationale. With Toua, honor is not something mushy to get emotional about. But hard fact of life.
Old 2008-12-12, 12:07   Link #93
zzeroparticle
NEET

With regards to the preachiness comment, maybe I should explain myself.

My perception of Toua is that he's a hard-minded and rational to the very core. All of his moves are planned out carefully and he comes up with a crap tonne of contingencies so that he'll always have an out, regardless of what happens. He's not someone who cares about morals and will take to exploit as many rules as possible to wring the outcome to his favor. In short, he plays to win.

Because of this, it's kind of weird that he'd start pontificating about proper forms of apology that would send the message that the apologizer was truly repentant for his actions. The speech he did was very high-minded and laudable, except he's already established himself to be a completely amoral character, neither moral, nor immoral. He just plays by the rules, exploiting them if need be to get what he wants. As such, it's hard to reconcile that speech with what I see to be his inner mindset.

However, maybe he doesn't really believe a word of what he's saying (it's entirely possible). I'm thinking that the speech can be construed as an appeal to emotion and that Toua knows that it's the best way to get him that forfeit that he needs to keep his salary up. It's certainly an interesting line to ponder over anyhow.
Old 2008-12-13, 07:42   Link #94
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Yeah, it looks like he's playing with others emotions and mental states than truly and honestly caring about them. Considering he kept saying how he was going to destroy the Mariners, I think that's the true aim anyway.

And even a hard-nut realist that he is, I guess he realizes that emotions are simply a part of the sport, gambling and confrontations like in sports or otherwise. I guess in his utmost realist sense, emotions are reality.

Also, I guess especially in Japan where higher ups constantly go for the vanilla bowing-head apologies, that kind of line struck a nerve in the Mariners' manager more so than it probably would to westerners.

It's also funny that the way he goaded the manager was sorta like saying to a better 'pay up, it's your fault you lost this bet'. That's basically what it was all about. It was a game and a responsibility. I can see how it would relate to normal codes of morality and honesty as well, but in this case, it's like binding someone to a bet that happens to be a baseball game.
Old 2008-12-16, 21:50   Link #95
FuzzyWuzzy

Episode 9 is too much of a stretch for me. I can buy the super devil akuma main character with powerful mind reading, social anthropology skills, and amazing mental psychological knowledge.

But having a talk with the enemy manager to forfeit a game while the game is on while lots of baseball fans are watching is a little too far fetch to me.
Old 2008-12-17, 09:11   Link #96
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

I can only guess it's the extreme conditions of the heavy rain, the political pressures, the high-class team losing so badly, etc. For sure, I don't think it was only Toua that did it. It was all the horrible stuff in the game. Granted, I agree that it could've been the other way. For being such a stubborn coach, he could've done the other and have bit the bullet. I guess it was a gamble in that sense all the same.
Old 2008-12-17, 17:14   Link #97
FireDetei
Online Gamer.

It's really not hard to believe. It's not so much that he forced the manager to forfeit the game, but he played him to do it. The manager knew, and you could clearly see it, that the two pitchers had no respect for the managers decisions because of his seemingful lack of care for them. It's a proffessional game, it's their income, and he was getting them to throw it down the pan to try and win. Either way, he was going to loose that game, but the choice he had was to loose respect of 2 players, maybe more, or accept the face he'd been had. Either way he'd pay for it, because reputation plays alot in sport, if you have a reputation to fucking people over, whose going to give you the chance of doing it to them?
Old 2008-12-21, 23:16   Link #98
Lostdreams

Wow, episode 10. Tactics is only half the game, the other half is strength. Johnson is a beast.
Old 2008-12-22, 07:23   Link #99
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

I absolutely loved how they literally animated Johnson as a blur. SOOOO fast.
Old 2008-12-22, 12:28   Link #100
zzeroparticle
NEET

Well, watching Toua squeeze out of this one is going to be fun (haven't watched episode 11 yet) but episode 10 was really fun to watch because for once, they have Tokuchi go up against a level-headed character who makes decisions by rationalizing things, which makes the mind battles more intense.

In any event, there's something about this show that gives it a certain degree of flair, making it a really enjoyable watch. I can't quite put my finger on why I find certain lines of dialogue to be so entertaining at times, but that's just the nature of the show I guess.
Closed Thread

Tags
gambling, seinen, sports