AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2011-06-13, 01:04   Link #1021
Tetra Vaal
Banned

One last thing before I head out... I don't use Twitter, but is Chris Broussard saying there was an altercation between LeBron and someone else in the Heat locker room? http://twitter.com/#!/Chrls_Broussard

In his previous entries, he says someone was posing as him or something, but then in his most recent post, it looks as though his report is official, but he had to remove it initially 'cause ESPN requested he did.
Tetra Vaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-13, 01:06   Link #1022
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

rumor mill is in full force

supposedly LeBron's girlfriend cheated on him with a former teammate and it affected his play *facepalm*
Mr. DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-13, 01:08   Link #1023
Dilla
'Sup Ballers

Old rumor.

That was already denied by both LeBron James and Rashard Lewis two days ago.
Dilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-13, 01:21   Link #1024
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

damn those two days of work!

Spoiler for they waste no time...:

Last edited by Mr. DJ; 2011-06-13 at 02:37.
Old 2011-06-13, 03:22   Link #1025
sayde

I don't mean to completely change the topic away from the miami/LeBron grill-fest that seems to be going on here, but does anyone know what the story was down the stretch of that 4th quarter? I realize my memory is probably very fuzzy, but it seemed like when Miami was down by around 10 points with 3-4 minutes left on the clock, I remember distinctly feeling like there was a clear lack of aggressiveness and energy from the team (and from the 2 major players) about to lose an entire freaking championship. I mean with the time they had left, it was definitely still possible to still make a comeback. And yet they were playing defense and standing around allowing the Mavs to shave easy time off the clock as if Miami were the ones up by ~10. In short, the energy just felt gone. I swear it was like they gave up long before that last 2 minutes. So despite how much I wanted the Mavs to win, there was something about those final minutes of the quarter that felt very anti-climatic (and even somewhat suspicious). It's probably just me, but I do wonder if anyone else got that vibe.

On a different note, congrats to Kidd. Seriously, I'm happy for Nowitzki, Terry, and the rest of Mavs, but I didn't even start to care for Dallas until recently. On the other hand, I've been a Jason Kidd fan since I was little kid. In hindsight, I can't think of anyone in the NBA I've personally wanted to see get a championship more over the last 10+ years. IMO, he may not be a Kobe, or a LeBron, or Wade, but he's one hell of a team player who doesn't even have to take single shot to have an amazing game or to have a profound impact on the floor. IMO, he definitely payed his dues to earn that ring tonight. So I'm happy for ya Kidd!

Last edited by sayde; 2011-06-13 at 03:40.
sayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-13, 03:24   Link #1026
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

kinda curious as well, considering how clutch they were in the last game against Chicago.
Old 2011-06-13, 07:47   Link #1027
SonOfHeaven
Metal Gear!?

Miami just wasn't good in the 4th quarter especially during game 3. I'm not going to hate on Miami since they had a great run considering this is the big 3 first year together. Highly expect them to be very hungry for the championship next season. Lebron wasn't as good as he usually is in the series. We'll see how he responds next year.

Congratulations to the Mavs btw.
Old 2011-06-13, 11:46   Link #1028
yeahitschris

Miami Herald Runs Macy's Ad Congratulating Heat On Winning Title

Quote:

As if reading the Sports section didn't suck enough for Heat fans this morning, Miami Herald readers opened their paper this morning to find a nearly full-page ad reading "Congratulations Miami!" and with photos of Heat championship T-shirts and hats from Macy's. ("Raise Another Banner" -- ughhhhh.)

Maybe Mark Cuban took this out as a extra special Monday morning foot-to-the-balls for Heat fans? He's devious. We won't put it past him.

Just for extra effect, the ad runs directly under a banner headline about how badly the Heat's point guard's sucked and a all-caps header proclaiming: DALLAS WINS BEST OF 7 SERIES 4-2.

Thanks, Miami Herald. You are the fourth-quarter LeBron James of local sports coverage.
source: http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/ripti...cys_ad_con.php

Old 2011-06-13, 13:38   Link #1029
Tetra Vaal
Banned

I guess there was nothing to Broussard's tweet, eh?

Anyway, shall we discuss the offseason now, or do you all still want to discuss the Finals?
Old 2011-06-13, 14:36   Link #1030
Elo the Blue
Mama there goes that man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetra Vaal View Post
I should have been more specific. It's a memorable performance that will be a part of his "legacy", but if that's all he can hang his hat on for his career, then it's extremely underwhelming considering the hype this guy had. I remember back in '03 reading article after article from all the so called "experts" that this guy was to revolutionize the NBA and challenge Jordan for all his MVPs and rings.

Anyway, I wish I could continue this conversation, but I'm gonna hit the hay.
Wen he came into the league, did you honestly expect to him to do those things? "Experts" have been wrong before and will continue to be wrong as long as sports goes on
LeBron's Finals performances, especially this past one, have no doubt been underwhelming but two regular season MVP awards, a scoring title, two Finals appearances(one on a team where he was the only quality player), and numerous other accolades in 8eight years don't constitute "extremely underwhelming" to me.

I won't deny LeBron has fed into the hype with how he's marketed himself but again, when you simply look at his career for what is and not what "experts" anticipated it would be or compared to the "G.O.A.T.", it's been more impressive than underwhelming.

Quote:
I guess there was nothing to Broussard's tweet, eh?

Anyway, shall we discuss the offseason now, or do you all still want to discuss the Finals?
I'm looking forward to the off-season but with the lockout(that I'll admit I know next to nothing about) looming, I'm not sure what's there to discuss.
Old 2011-06-13, 14:43   Link #1031
Tetra Vaal
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elo the Blue View Post
I'm looking forward to the off-season but with the lockout(that I'll admit I know next to nothing about) looming, I'm not sure what's there to discuss.
I still think a lockout may be avoidable for a couple reasons... 1.) the NBA may be improving its Playoff and Finals ratings, but the league itself still pales in comparison to the NFL and MLB, and I just don't think the NBA can afford to lockout for the 2nd time in the last 15 years. 2.) Stern recently acknowledged the NFL's problems and doesn't want to go down that same road, so he's already taken the initiative to begin discussions on a new agreement. It's hard to gauge, though... a lot does have to fall into place for a lockout to be avoided, so let's hope they get it all worked out.
Old 2011-06-13, 15:25   Link #1032
Prodigy
Heartless

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
None of you will EVER understand what it's like to be scrutinized on the level of Lebron James...Especially in a social media environment that Jordan never had to live 1 minute in (Not that I think comparing a pass-first Point-Forward to a score-first scorer is smart in any way)...
Well he kinda did bring it upon himself by proclaiming himself as the "King" and promising all those championships. Sure he could've done some things differently but I don't think he deserves all the blame. I really don't think he played that badly.

Yes, James wasn't clutch but neither was Wade. He missed a game tying FT and turned the ball over in key situations but no one blames him?
Prodigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-13, 16:16   Link #1033
Elo the Blue

Quote:
I still think a lockout may be avoidable for a couple reasons... 1.) the NBA may be improving its Playoff and Finals ratings, but the league itself still pales in comparison to the NFL and MLB, and I just don't think the NBA can afford to lockout for the 2nd time in the last 15 years. 2.) Stern recently acknowledged the NFL's problems and doesn't want to go down that same road, so he's already taken the initiative to begin discussions on a new agreement. It's hard to gauge, though... a lot does have to fall into place for a lockout to be avoided, so let's hope they get it all worked out.
Agreed. The talent pool in the NBA is arguably higher than it's ever been and it would be a real shame if a year was wasted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy View Post
Well he kinda did bring it upon himself by proclaiming himself as the "King" and promising all those championships. Sure he could've done some things differently but I don't think he deserves all the blame. I really don't think he played that badly.

Yes, James wasn't clutch but neither was Wade. He missed a game tying FT and turned the ball over in key situations but no one blames him?
Wade is my man but in addition to the missed missed free throw, he went 6-16 last night and had some horrible turnovers in the 4th quarter.
Old 2011-06-13, 17:48   Link #1034
cors8
Kuu-chan is hungry

No one blames Wade because he was always part of the Heat and he already proved himself by winning a championship in '06. He also carried the Heat pretty well in the previous games.

LeChoke left Cleveland in a ridiculously bad way, blaming the lack of a supporting cast in Cleveland, and then failing to show up late in the Finals.

I actually feel sorry for Wade. I am a fan of his but just can't root for the Heat now.
cors8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-13, 19:14   Link #1035
Elo the Blue

I wonder how many folks are going to call out DeShawn for this?

Link
Old 2011-06-13, 19:31   Link #1036
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

When will people stop putting their faith into super-rich super-young super-athletes?? I love sports almost more than life itself, but it's tragic how much the general public expects from tattooed action figures...

Who cares if Stevenson is a hypocrite? YES HE IS...I AM...LEBRON JAMES IS...The nice guy who your cuts lawn is...This is a non-issue, unless we're talking about 26 year old damn near LeBillionaires who have to live their lives according to the general public and not their own desires...(Not you Elo, just in general) Stop putting these guys on a different level than the average person...You're talking about a large majority of guys who have been pampered and coddled their entire young lives and have been exploited as much as the game they now exploit...Yes there are exceptions to the rule, but not many...You gotta detach yourself from the expectations of young rich a$$holes, who can also be good, caring a$$holes...There's nothing different between the $hit going on now and the $hit that went on 20 years ago, but a f**king twitter feed...
Old 2011-06-13, 19:45   Link #1037
Elo the Blue

^^
I was actually making a similar point on another forum but I couldn't have said it better myself.

It's the hypocrisy of fans that bothers me at times.
Old 2011-06-13, 22:28   Link #1038
yeahitschris

i thought the stevenson shirt is funny . since shaq made fun of my favorite player (Kobe) by saying "HOW MY A** TASTE?"

Cuban: Players might not receive rings

Quote:
MIAMI -- You just knew Mark Cuban would have to do something big, something different for the Dallas Mavericks first championship. His first two orders as trophy holder: The parade's on me and we're doing something better than rings.

Via ESPN Dallas:
Mark Cuban said championship parades and title rings just aren't his style, but the 2010-11 NBA champions will be riding floats through the streets of Dallas very soon.
And Cuban said he's picking up the tab.

"We'll do it," Cuban said early Monday morning. "All I told them was -- Terdema Ussery, our president -- you plan the parade. I'll pay for it because I don't think it's right for the city to have to pay for it. And let's just have some fun."

Remember all the problems last year in Los Angeles when the Lakers couldn't figure out what to do with the parade? It was going to cost the city millions and there was debate whether or not the team would have it. Cuban, being the completely awesome guy that he is, just said, "I've got it you guys." Say what you will about Cuban, but he's a terrific owner.

Then Cuban talked about the hardware. But he doesn't want to go the traditional route.

"I might not get rings," the Mavs' billionaire owner told NBATV. "Rings are old school. You've seen it before: There's guys who pick up the sweats and towels and they have these big, blingy rings. I'm like, 'Rings are done. It's time to take it to the next level.'"

If not rings, then what? Championship belts? Crowns? Necklaces? Golden sceptres? I wouldn't expect anything less from Cuban because, well, he's Mark Cuban.

But you know, if you don't get Dirk a ring, then how are Dallas fans supposed to win arguments now? They won't have the "Yeah but he's got a ring!!!" argument. I guess they'll just have to say, "Dirk is a top 10 player dude. He's got a sceptre now!" Actually, that's not all that bad.
wonder what it'll be
Old 2011-06-14, 00:01   Link #1039
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

Don't know about anyone else...I'd still want my ring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elo the Blue View Post
I wonder how many folks are going to call out DeShawn for this?

Link
I'd tell DeShawn that at least Wade had the decency to congratulate them.
Old 2011-06-14, 12:36   Link #1040
Tetra Vaal
Banned

That shirt is kinda funny, though.

But yeah, DeShawn is in no position to be calling anyone classless, he's been a punk his entire career.