AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > Mahouka [LN/M]

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-12-08, 21:07   Link #1761
bloodyclaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
I have always trouble to believe that people are seriously discussing the limits of magic in a purely fictional environment...
what is the problem in discussing the limits of magic when the core of the story is magic. A great story has its universe built within its own set of rules and laws. No matter how crazy the environment is, it has to have some sort of logic that abides to it.

great thing about mahouka is the extensive descriptions it gives into explaining magic. Things like eidos, informational dimensions, activational sequences, speed, weight, etc are variables that we could use to create discussions.

Their not making ice from simply nothing or accelerating to impossible speeds without explanations.

Actually reading this kind of stuff makes me appreciate things like the the star wars lore and the lord of the rings universe with all its content.
Old 2012-12-08, 21:17   Link #1762
blackwhite67
Banned

^I agree. I for one appreciate all the details the author has put into the story and the battle system. It shows that he was putting a lot of thought into it.
Old 2012-12-08, 21:20   Link #1763
bloodyclaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwhite67 View Post
"Back at the restaurant, Tatsuya is thinking about the magic Lina just used, “Heavy Metal Burst.” It is a magic which takes disperses heavy metals and turns them into plasma. The transformation creates a strong shock wave. This is primarily done, he concludes, by Lina's weapon, which also forms a barrier to contain the shock wave and plasma to prevent extraneous damage (hence why the surroundings were not damaged by the attack). He also understands that its attack can move at an instant, perhaps fast enough that
his Regrowth cannot catch up."

The release of energy from Material Burst would certainly reach his brain and destroy his MPZ faster than his Auto-Restoration. You have to remember, Restoration doesn't block the attack. It just heals the damage taken. The speed of this restoration is proportional to the amount of damage taken..

No its 50. It said 150 in the summary because the guy who got his leg blown off was in that state for 30 sec and Tatsuya had to compress the pain into 0.2 sec.

@Ddraig: You mean if Tatsuya used MAterial Burst on the whole Earth?

@Mentar: If you're referring to Ddraig's question, it is merely a physics question based on fictional, but theoretically physical, circumstances.
ah. Thanks for the correction. So does it mean the longer a person is in pain depending on the injury, the higher the pain he would have to recieve? like 300 times for a blown off limb for 1 min?

also, on the topic of his material burst. With my knowledge on the mahoukaverse so far, I certainly agree with you. But heres something to think about. I believe tatsuya was still restricted in his battle with Lina (correct if wrong). If Lina's heavy metal burst is instant, then that means that there are magic out there that do not have any lag time. Who's to say that an unrestricted restoration is not lagless? If the speed is porportionate to the damage taken, then it would have to be instant for him to survive something like his material burst.

Of course, I am still not sure of the benefits unsealing does to him other than unsealing his psion count. So everything is still speculation on my part. But just a thought :P
Old 2012-12-08, 22:05   Link #1764
pampz21
ShipCore

Can tatsuya blast of the moon cuz it annoying!

to Believe is to Live,
to Ship is to Believe,
the best part of believe is the Lie,
to Lie to oneself is to Live
and that is the Essence of Life

Old 2012-12-08, 22:32   Link #1765
Seitsuki
Onee!

Quote:
^I agree. I for one appreciate all the details the author has put into the story and the battle system. It shows that he was putting a lot of thought into it.
Well, I'm glad someone enjoys the bloody long convoluted wordy excessive @%&@%%#@#$ explanations..
Old 2012-12-08, 22:39   Link #1766
SoloPanda
Not A Loli-con....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seitsuki View Post
Well, I'm glad someone enjoys the bloody long convoluted wordy excessive @%&@%%#@#$ explanations..
Ehh, you just hate them cause translating them is like pulling teeth! I mean really, you have to have the unabridged dictionary to find some of these words...
Old 2012-12-08, 22:46   Link #1767
blackwhite67
Banned

Quote:
Please don't misunderstand. I enjoy the scientific jargon, but I'm also very appreciative of translators such as yourself who persevere through what has been described as pages of explanations. You're work is not in vain.
Old 2012-12-08, 23:47   Link #1768
bloodyclaws

Quote:
Please don't misunderstand. I enjoy the scientific jargon, but I'm also very appreciative of translators such as yourself who persevere through what has been described as pages of explanations. You're work is not in vain.
absolutely.. and the speed at which these chapters are being translated? nothing short of spectacular honestly. I've got 2 years of japanese under my belt and even then I still see myself as too green to translate anything. Those that took on the task, know that there are people who appreciate your work.
Old 2012-12-09, 03:01   Link #1769
Dreyakis

Quote:
Just wait until we get to the thesis presentation in Volume 6.

Click here to see the current progression for the last chapter on Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei!
Old 2012-12-09, 04:30   Link #1770
malason13
Forsaken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misstee View Post
I'm curious to find out whether Tatsuya can actually get old. I can imagine a scenario where his body reaches its peak age and his subconscious refuses to let it break down and age.
If Tatsuya did really stop aging then that will cause problems, cause he will be the symbol of eternal youth. Though it would be fun if that really happen.

The Beloved Occult Research Club

Old 2012-12-09, 05:14   Link #1771
bludvein

Theoretically I suppose he could just his 24 hour reset once a day to keep his body young if he wanted to. Possibly indefinitely.

Although that only works with the assumption that there isn't another limiting factor involved. With the original Sakurai he couldn't heal her because her lifespan was used up.
Old 2012-12-09, 06:59   Link #1772
kazzuya13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bludvein View Post
There is no cooldown, or at least I couldn't find mention of one in any of the summaries or comments I've read.

There is however a mental trauma involved. Even if his body is perfectly fine his brain knows he got shot and that it should hurt. That is the "phantom pain" that was mentioned in the summaries. Kinda like when you are hypnotized to think there is an open flame under your arm. Most people would still describe a burning sensation and in extreme cases a welt rises on the skin even with nothing physically wrong. This perception would only be reinforced by the conviction that it really happened.

Theoretically a mental trauma severe enough could disturb his ability to use magic, but Tatsuya is pretty stoic though so that seems unlikely.

The "price" he pays for regrowth is slightly different though. In order to reboot somebody else he needs to read their eidos history with his body, and all the pain they experienced in the time up to the point they got injured is felt by him in the space of a fraction of a second. Not a huge deal with minor injuries, but you can see the problems.
There is. I'm definitely sure and Tatsuya said so himself in his inner thoughts.
Old 2012-12-09, 08:04   Link #1773
SoloPanda
Not A Loli-con....

Quote:
Originally Posted by malason13 View Post
If Tatsuya did really stop aging then that will cause problems, cause he will be the symbol of eternal youth. Though it would be fun if that really happen.
Even more people will want to disect him if that happened. I'd guess all the family's including the Yotsuba would start trying to get him into a lab rat costume.
Old 2012-12-09, 08:29   Link #1774
chancs

I wonder how you all people can put up with all the technicals

Was thinking of creating a bank of all the techniques used till now with their usage/explanation.
Old 2012-12-09, 09:47   Link #1775
Kleeyook
Yandere maniax

Can Mahouka really be called a LN? Its world building is too great than most novels I've seen. SAO seems to do the same but the explanation in SAO really makes me want to put down in LN while this one does the opposite.

We still don't see much of its politics and other aspects of the world in Mahouka but the technical terms are very detailed and give the feeling of "kinda make sense" when read. Most novels with fantasy and sci-fi theme can't even match this one.

Well, the downside is that it has many elements borrowing from other LN and anime, but that's what make us read it anyway.
Old 2012-12-09, 09:59   Link #1776
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

I've seen the book back when I was checking the bookstore a few days ago.. the thickness of the book is not something that I would call a LN. I think this one is a genuine novel like Horizon in terms of content.

Then again my definition of Light novel is something which doesn't have many pages and easy to read writing... which I must say, something that is not really reflect Mahouka IMO

Old 2012-12-09, 20:41   Link #1777
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

No, thickness for Mahouka is not that different from your regular Dengeki LN. MF bunko LN(which consist a lot of harem romcom) are usually a little thinner(around 250 pages). Writing, aside from the convoluted and sometimes excessive explanation, is not that complex either grammar wise.

One thing I have to complain about the writing is, the author doesn't seems to know the meaning of story flows. Sometimes the author break the good flow of the story by inserting needless description of magic and in-world tech in the middle of an event. I mean, I admire the author's penchant for building world, but if you need to do it, do it in after the event ends or before the events start instead of breaking the flow mid-point to insert jargon explanation and author's self-insert comment.

I like the novel itself, mind you, but I just can't get over the immersion breaking long-explanation-in-the-middle-of-event part of the novel at all >_<
Old 2012-12-09, 21:02   Link #1778
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

Quote:
No, thickness for Mahouka is not that different from your regular Dengeki LN. MF bunko LN(which consist a lot of harem romcom) are usually a little thinner(around 250 pages).
...Seriously? The book was the 2nd in terms of thickness when I looked at the shelf at that time then again you might be right.. the difference is not that big when compared to other books in that shelf.

Quote:
I like the novel itself, mind you, but I just can't get over the immersion breaking long-explanation-in-the-middle-of-event part of the novel at all >_<
Well it's part of the charm but seriously, I'm just glad he does it this way since it makes me want to continue reading. I'm not to fond on how he writes the relationship between each character and how they banter with each other (it always seems weird for some reasons). Making excessive world building to cover that part up makes me endure that part and still continue reading the novel.

Old 2012-12-09, 21:30   Link #1779
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

I like the massive world building, I just hate the timing when it's done by the author. When you have a magic battle, which supposed to last only for a moment, you don't do explanation in the middle of the battle. You do it before or after the battle.
Old 2012-12-09, 21:56   Link #1780
blackwhite67
Banned

The author did that for the very first fight, Tatsuya vs Hattori.
Closed Thread

Tags
action, fantasy, harem, incest, mahouka, rettousei, school life, shounen, siblings