AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2020-05-06, 06:27   Link #421
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
I think people are too busy not dying and thinking about how to get food on the table to care about metoo.
Old 2020-05-06, 11:43   Link #422
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

Oh yes, I could think of absolutely no better idea than to nominate a candidate who already lost to the most unpopular republican ever four years ago.
Old 2020-05-06, 14:44   Link #423
Key Board
Carbon

I think Biden's VP pick is going to be Kamala Harris
but it will be a pleasant surprise if its Stacey Abrams

//
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Old 2020-05-06, 18:46   Link #424
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

^ Is that supposed to be sarcasm? Why would it be a pleasant surprise to replace one corporatist with another one?
Old 2020-05-06, 20:08   Link #425
Key Board
Carbon

I'm trying to be realistic. This is the Democrat party Democratic we are talking about.

They promised a woman VP, and we already know who they won't ever pick.
Abrams is the best out of all that remains. She's a compromise.

//
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell

Last edited by Key Board; 2020-05-06 at 21:22.
Old 2020-05-06, 20:29   Link #426
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

It's not the Democrat Party - it's the Democratic Party. The former is an invention of right-wingers in an attempt to be derisive.
Old 2020-05-06, 21:23   Link #427
Key Board
Carbon

okay...

changed.

I've been calling myself that for decades and this is the first time I heard that.

//
Old 2020-05-06, 22:49   Link #428
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democrat_Party_(epithet)

Back on topic, put me down as thinking Warren would be by far the best actual VP. And Biden supposedly wanted to choose her if he ran in 2016. But because of her age and the fact that Charlie Baker would appoint her replacement (albeit only for a few months till a special election) and I think it's very unlikely Biden goes that route.
Old 2020-05-07, 01:13   Link #429
Key Board
Carbon

She WOULD be a good VP candidate and maybe even gain back progressive votes
but by now you've heard what the Biden donors said about her
let's be realistic

//
Old 2020-05-07, 03:06   Link #430
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

It's more about not wanting to risk any chance of winning back the Senate. And not putting a 70 year-old on the ticket with a 77 year-old.
Old 2020-05-07, 17:01   Link #431
Key Board
Carbon

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/30/dono...ren-as-vp.html

She does need to hold her senate post, though.

The Republican governor will replace her with an interim Republican senator otherwise, and there's no laws to prevent this.

ONE MORE WAY THE US DEMOCRACY IS BROKEN

//
Old 2020-05-07, 17:18   Link #432
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

The reason to worry about Warren's senate seat is not Charlie Baker. In fact, the MA congress could pass with veto proof majority a bill to force Baker to choose an interim Senator until the next special election from a shortlist provided by Warren herself ensuring the seat stays Democratic even through the next months before it.

The risk is picking her and having to win the special election. We went through that with Scott Brown which effectively destroyed the Democrat's ability to override the filibuster when Ted Kennedy died. Have to run a reliable candidate for the Senate to win that seat and not just push anyone.

Warren is the best pick to shore up the Democratic coalition. Biden is making a choice between that and moderate swing state appeal. I'm not sure which is the better argument.
Old 2020-05-07, 17:28   Link #433
ramlaen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
okay...

changed.

I've been calling myself that for decades and this is the first time I heard that.

//
You have been calling yourself a Democrat, just like all the others who do (myself included), because it is not a derogatory term.

To cite the article Enzo posted "Pollster Frank Luntz tested the phrase with a focus group in 2001, and concluded that the only people who really disliked the epithet were highly partisan Democrats."
Old 2020-05-07, 19:28   Link #434
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
The reason to worry about Warren's senate seat is not Charlie Baker. In fact, the MA congress could pass with veto proof majority a bill to force Baker to choose an interim Senator until the next special election from a shortlist provided by Warren herself ensuring the seat stays Democratic even through the next months before it.

The risk is picking her and having to win the special election. We went through that with Scott Brown which effectively destroyed the Democrat's ability to override the filibuster when Ted Kennedy died. Have to run a reliable candidate for the Senate to win that seat and not just push anyone.

Warren is the best pick to shore up the Democratic coalition. Biden is making a choice between that and moderate swing state appeal. I'm not sure which is the better argument.
MA is still among the most blue states in the union. Everyone loves to talk about the whole Brown thing, but that was a fluke. Do you really think MA would vote to elect a R Senator if control of the chamber were hanging in the balance and we had a newly elected Democratic president? Not a chance in Hell.

Passing a bill tying Baker's hands is easier than it sounds. There's a reason very few states have such laws - vero-proof majorities, rare as they are, are hard to hold together in practice.
Old 2020-05-07, 19:32   Link #435
Key Board
Carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramlaen View Post
You have been calling yourself a Democrat, just like all the others who do (myself included), because it is not a derogatory term.
You're not a democrat

Don't bother trying to gaslight this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
MA is still among the most blue states in the union. Everyone loves to talk about the whole Brown thing, but that was a fluke. Do you really think MA would vote to elect a R Senator if control of the chamber were hanging in the balance and we had a newly elected Democratic president? Not a chance in Hell.

Passing a bill tying Baker's hands is easier than it sounds. There's a reason very few states have such laws - vero-proof majorities, rare as they are, are hard to hold together in practice.
You don't need to elect an interim senator. You only need to appoint one. And yes, the GOP absolutely would do it, because they have done worse.

//
Old 2020-05-07, 19:51   Link #436
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

The governor appoints one. According to MA law there has to be a special election within 160 days of that appointment. My point is that there's no way MA would elect a R in that special election if control of the Senate was at stake. Right now, there's nothing preventing Baker from appointing a R as the interim for those 160 days.
Old 2020-05-08, 10:10   Link #437
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Warren was considered as a VP candidate in 2016, and all the scenarios were examined in this article from the Boston Globe.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/news/pol...K7J/story.html

If Warren resigns her Senate seat, Baker can then appoint an interim replacement, but there would need to be a special election held to fill the seat within 145 to 160 days. If Warren resigns right after the November election, the appointee would only be in the Senate for a couple of months.
Old 2020-05-08, 13:51   Link #438
ramlaen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
You're not a democrat

Don't bother trying to gaslight this.

//
Spare me the purity test, I have probably been a democrat longer than you have been alive.
Old 2020-05-08, 19:39   Link #439
Key Board
Carbon

Your history on this board says otherwise.

Were you hoping for people to just conveniently forget who you are?
Perhaps seeing Trump successfully pulling that off many times with his base made you think you could do the same.
But no. That won't happen.

//
Old 2020-05-09, 03:45   Link #440
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisdrache View Post
Oh yes, I could think of absolutely no better idea than to nominate a candidate who already lost to the most unpopular republican ever four years ago.
If times were normal, I would agree. But right now this is the establishment equivalent of summoning the antibodies to fight the threat to its existence, in the form of Trump and the awful things in people he is allowing to surface and normalize. It's the establishment slowly coming to terms with what it has become and realizing something went horribly wrong.

So Biden is the safe pick, because he represents a time when things didn't appear to suck as much. He benefits greatly from being Obama's VP, because people REALLY miss Obama. Heck I'll admit it: even I miss Obama sometimes. Hearing him speak these days is like someone giving me a scalp massage. It's so soothing to hear a person who doesn't speak like a mentally disabled five year old.

Is Biden full of problems? Yup, absolutely. He's made a lot of bad votes, he's suspect with women, he's very much part of the establishment that got us to this point, and he's clearly got some cognitive decline. But compared to Trump, he looks good enough. I know his staff will help him and his picks will be solid. He's got my vote.

And I really wanted Bernie. But I'm a realistic person. It just isn't the time for a candidate like him. He's on the right side of history, his policy ideas will definitely outlive him, and he'll go down in history as a big needle shifter in American politics, but he's clearly not going to live to see the world his movement will create. A shame, truly.

People not choosing to vote for Biden because of the flawed system or just not getting the candidate they want are really missing the point, though. Trump isn't just another bad politician. The amount of corruption Trump is enabling is literally unprecedented. If the cost of cleaning that house is another decade of establishment Dems, that's the price that must be paid. The alternative is four more years of Trump and the GOP rotting whatever is left of the rule of law in the country. If Trump wins in November, he's basically being given a national pass to remake the country as he sees fit. A terrifying thought that has planetary consequences.