AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2007-11-01, 06:13   Link #1
demonix

Send a message via Yahoo to demonix
New setup won't POST with external devices connected

The subject line kinda says it in a nutshell.....

I rebuilt my whole system yesterday (just to get rid of some crappy hardware) and the last thing I did before I placed the system back in it's place was to connect up the two external devices I have (one external DVD-RW drive and one external hard drive) now I turned the system on this morning and it wouldn't get past POST with them connected (since I unpluged them from the mains after I manually shut the system down and then it cleared POST with no problems).

The motherboard is a Asus M2N-MX and I think that fast POST is enabled by default in the BIOS.

And if the only option is to have the devices unpluged when booting it doesn't matter that much it just means I can't have my hard drives showing on the desktop.
demonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-01, 09:26   Link #2
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

You're in luck, I have that board. Disconnect USB/External devices check your boot sequence.
I have a feeling that it's trying to boot from the USB devices. I'll have a more detailed looked in my BIOS later. What was removed BTW?
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=26308
hobbes_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-01, 19:45   Link #3
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Hmm, my ASUS motherboard won't POST either if there's anything in the USB jack. Kinda lame if you ask me... haven't messed around with the BIOS though.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-01, 20:41   Link #4
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

Have 2 motherboards from the M series, M2n8-VMX and M2n-E. (sorry forgot I had the E in my previous post) I've had both as a HTPC motherboard. I use Vista and the Readyboost function on the M2n8 which uses a USB thumbdrive as sort of an "additional ram" and a 1tb NAS box via USBx no issues there either from boot. The M2n did duty as an HTPC for a little while using XP and it didn't have any complaints with the NAS box either. I've just done a test using both with the NAS box and they booted up fine just to confirm.

Make sure your BIOS is upto date as well as these boards are about 6mths and under in age and I do remebmer doing the Asus update thing at build time and updating the BIOS.

Also doing a quick search on M2n-mx USB boot bugs on google there a lot of Linux related entries. Are you using Linux by chance? If you are then you might be SOL one of the *nix gurus around may be able to give better advice.
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=26308

Last edited by hobbes_fan; 2007-11-01 at 21:12.
hobbes_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-02, 04:56   Link #5
demonix

OK to answer all the questions in one I'm using XP, the BIOS is about 6 months old (I'd say it was about 2 months old when I actually got it), the boot order is DVD burner (internal), HDD (internal on SATA1) and floppy drive (which was the only setting that was changed before I installed the OS on the HDD and none of the external devices were connected at the time).
Also I did speak to my sister about this last night and she said it's either a compatibility issue (not the first time I've had one of these with this new setup) or that fastPOST is bypassing something that is needed for the external devices to clear (and both devices are freecom one is a DVD burner the other is a hard drive and both had to be disconnected for the computer to POST correctly).
Old 2007-11-06, 01:25   Link #6
Zilveari
Retired(?) Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to Zilveari
Are the devices connected through USB?
Zilveari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-06, 05:55   Link #7
demonix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zilveari View Post
Are the devices connected through USB?
well they couldn't be connected through anything else since the board only has 4 USB ports on the back