AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-03-29, 09:32   Link #21
Katapan
俺様祭り

A trailer was shown at the Fuji TV booth (TAF). Awful quality of course, but it gives you an idea of how it'll look - not that I was worried about the overall design, it just couldn't go wrong with Production I.G. and the budget Noitamina shows are usually given.

I definitely hope a better version of the trailer is available soon, now that I know we can hear both themes in it, along with how the seiyuu are doing.
Old 2008-03-29, 09:38   Link #22
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
The more I learn about this show, the more it reminds me of PLANETES.
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-29, 09:47   Link #23
Westlo
Lets be reality

Out of every clip uploaded by sakiwe this is the only one that doesn't work for me, is it just me?
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-29, 09:49   Link #24
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

I too was surprised by the, shall we say, low amount of flashiness. No spiffy animation sequences or anything.

That didn't discourage me, but it certainly was slightly different.
Old 2008-03-29, 10:00   Link #25
BluWacky
尻の竜

I thought the animation looked fine - the SD moments looked quite well done, which means they shouldn't be too annoying. I like the character designs - I can't quite describe it, but the linework is interesting, it's like the overall look is very soft and rounded compared to most anime these days and yet nothing like the hazy, indistinct look that you can see in the Natsume Yuujinchou trailer that sakiwe's just posted.

I'm still worried about the story, personally. Someone described it as being Full Metal Panic-esque, and I LOATHED Full Metal Panic (Chidori is a bitch, Sagara is a dumbass and Teletha is insipid and annoying) - if it's going to be shooting people and tsundere arguments I'll be most disappointed, even if it IS about censorship.

Then again, sometimes you have to take these things with a pinch of salt. Someone described this show as being slightly Utena-esque - that turned out to be "there's a mysterious man who saved the heroine she's trying to find!" rather than Ikuhara goodness, so you never know who you can trust.
BluWacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-29, 14:45   Link #26
solomon

Well it looks fun at least, and IG work looks solid, just not crap my pants amazing.
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-29, 16:07   Link #27
flamefang

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluWacky View Post
Someone described it as being Full Metal Panic-esque
If you're looking for a FMP-like anime this season, kamen no maid guy is more like that. But I agree with you that this military thing sort of reminds it.

The TAF preview didn't look so exceptional to me, but I'm interested to the story.
flamefang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-03, 12:33   Link #28
flou
That's no lady

From Anime News Network:
Quote:
The official Japanese website of the Library War anime series has posted a two-minute, 43-second promotional movie. It has also posted a 15-second television commercial. The action comedy anime adapts Hiro Arikawa's popular novel about battles fought to preserve libraries when a new law threatens to clamp down on freedom of expression in 2019. Production I.G is producing the series, which will debut on Japanese television on April 10. Takayuki Hamana (Chocolate Underground, The Prince of Tennis) is directing.
Links:
http://www.toshokan-sensou.com/gallery_pv1.html
2:43 ver.
http://www.toshokan-sensou.com/gallery_cm1.html
0:15 ver.

One week until it airs!
flou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-10, 14:32   Link #29
apr
Pedestrian

Gods, varying line thickness + cute girls make for perhaps the most appealing show this season. Fell in love instantly, and I was so busy smiling at the artwork to notice much else, but I'm sure this will turn out to be the best show this year. There's action, comedy, budding romance, hopefully an interesting plot to develop (more than the prince hunt), and it's all so beautiful!

Some screenies for the ones who want to spoil themselves of seeing it in movement:

http://img.muri.se/tosho-sen-1a.jpg
http://img.muri.se/tosho-sen-1b.jpg
http://img.muri.se/tosho-sen-1c.jpg
http://img.muri.se/tosho-sen-1d.jpg
http://img.muri.se/tosho-sen-1e.jpg
Old 2008-04-10, 14:35   Link #30
aroduc
Ruiner of Things

First episode was pretty decent. It's going to take me awhile to come to terms with the premise though. Something about people willing to kill for a magazine bikini poster... I am a little worried about the budget. There was quite a bit of terrible CG tossed in and for a first episode, lots of flashbacks/reuse of scenes, not to mention that the OP was just a montage. Hopefully it's nothing though. It was a lot wackier in parts than I expected things to be (not overly familiar with the source), but they took all the DEFEND THE CARD CATALOG stuff seriously. I don't think I've even seen a card catalog for half a decade, if not more.

Caps etc
http://blog.seiha.org/?p=772

OP
aroduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-10, 14:35   Link #31
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Amen to that. Love the line work. And M.Bison officer caps. 8)

First episode was alright, but like others said — nothing mindblowing here. The series is quite humor- and SD-heavy. Also, while the plot makes no sense (even in Fahrenheit 451 context), there is certain charm in the absurdity of it all.

The series reminds me of Read or Die and Planetes quite a bit. The main character (Kasahara) is like a female Hachimaki. 8)

Last edited by MrProphet; 2008-04-10 at 15:02.
Old 2008-04-10, 19:30   Link #32
NakedAngelX

Library War

Genres: action, comedy, romance
Themes: Military
Based on: "Library War" (novel series) by Hiro Arikawa
Animation Production: Production I.G

Here's the OP
http://youtube.com/watch?v=9rAI975pcWQ

Here's the ED (It's a bit catchy hehe)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2RuC3yNX8jI

There's gonna be 12 episode and 1st just came out today

Just watched Ep 1 and i must say it's quite funny and unique
Spoiler for Ep1:

Last edited by NakedAngelX; 2008-04-10 at 19:50.
NakedAngelX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-10, 20:01   Link #33
Tri-ring

Although the the story line is comical, the core theme is in-line with present day political problem concerning censorship and freedom of speech.

In the past malevolent dictators destroyed books and fine art as a method to suppress freedom of speech the same way this story starts out so it is not completely out of realm of reality. I hope you think about it when you watch this.
Tri-ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-11, 01:45   Link #34
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

This looks like it might have a lot of charm to it (based on RanCur screen caps). The main character looks a "real girl" who is willing to take a hit or two so that alone get this series a "check it out" from me. What I've read in the thread just makes it more intriguing.
Old 2008-04-11, 07:05   Link #35
Impz
Insanity Anime Blogger

Here's the first episode detailed summary + screenshots

This show is definitely one of the shows to "look out for" for me. Information used as a form of social control. Books and the mass media represent values that can spread. Can democracy spread in a world where no one is able to read any books that are remotely promoting this form of ideology? In a condition where there is a fear climate, will there be a widespread of knowledge and information?

The loss of talent and knowledge during the WWII is tremendous with the Holocaust, and the fact that something so stupid like a bikini babe poster has to be banned shows the amount of desperation of such times where information becomes a scarce commodity. Hence, it's definitely not silly, if you think of it clearly.
Impz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-11, 10:06   Link #36
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impz View Post
Information used as a form of social control. Books and the mass media represent values that can spread.
Um, yes, but this isn't exactly a dystopian series. 8)
Old 2008-04-11, 10:56   Link #37
Asamidori
ボカロ廃

The series is definitely worth checking out for me. On top of the comical stuffs, it indirectly reflects the current on-going Japan political affair, which although probably a coincidence, is pretty interesting to see.

Wonder if I should go look up the novels for this...
Asamidori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-11, 13:54   Link #38
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asamidori View Post
The series is definitely worth checking out for me. On top of the comical stuffs, it indirectly reflects the current on-going Japan political affair, which although probably a coincidence, is pretty interesting to see....
I don't think it's a coincidence. I find the set-up a little artificial, but maybe I'll get used to it. The ideas are fascinating, and the characters are coming through. For some reason, I'm flashing on Ai in Planetes. And that's a good thing. This is the most I've liked Inoue Marina.

Great character design with those bold outlines, by Nakamura Satoru, who was animation director of several eps of GITS:SAC and of the GITS:SAC Solid State movie.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-11, 14:01   Link #39
Diodati
The very united ACROSS

It's nice to see generally really positive feedback about the first episode - I was likely going to watch this anyway because the animation had a nice vibe - and that I've such a weakness for Sawashiro Miyuki (the female role here will make a nice addition to her central male role over in Kure-nai). And of course the draw of Inoue Marina playing a tomboy.

I suppose the premise sounds a bit goofy on paper, but I definitely agree with Asamidori that this has relevant context, concerning Japanese (and global) media politics. And I actually think that could be v deliberate. This might not necessarily be an obvious, 'dystopian' anime world, but it could make some subtle parallels with our own endless problems concerning censorship, social propaganda and information hierarchy. It's kind of fitting that this anime may have a strong 'absurdist' style.

Anyway I think they could do a lot with it - and with the added character mysteries, romance and angst, I'm sort of surprised/disappointed this will only be 12 episodes.
Diodati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-11, 14:03   Link #40
apr
Pedestrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
I don't think it's a coincidence. I find the set-up a little artificial, but maybe I'll get used to it. The ideas are fascinating, and the characters are coming through. For some reason, I'm flashing on Ai in Planetes. And that's a good thing. This is the most I've liked Inoue Marina.

Great character design with those bold outlines, by Nakamura Satoru, who was animation director of several eps of GITS:SAC and of the GITS:SAC Solid State movie.
I'm surprised you don't mention Maeno Tomoaki, since he seems to be doing his proper debut here. I like his voice, and I'm looking forward to hearing more from him. It's a bit like Seki Tomokazu without the extreme edge.

You're not the only one with Planetes vibes, anyway. It was the first thing I said to a friend, and he came back after the episode saying it was like a remake of the first Planetes episode. Neither of us have watched the show in years, though.

Tags
noitamina, production i.g.